Erwin23p

Important question about Track IR5/Oculus RIft...

Hello, I'm an addicted player of Arma 3, mostly on helicopters...(<3 AFM) I play also on DCS and X-Plane and I have a question that I think here is the best place to resolve my question. I have pedals, throttle quadrant and a Joystick, fine for Helicopter and Airplane simulation but there is a thing missing here... but I don't know what to buy (or wait????):

What I should do? Buy TrackIr 5, or wait for the Oculus Rift Non DK version? I have time, so I'm not in a hurry to get one of these. But I don't know because for simulation some people say that OR is not fine because you can't see instruments but I have heard that with OR you can see better the "distance perspective" or I don't know how to explain this... so if you see an object at 20 meters, it's like you really see that object at 20 meters but how I said I don't know all that. And a thing like that for flying helicopters is very immersive and cool.

For what Games/Simulators I need this? Assetto Corsa, City Car Driving, X-plane, Arma, Take on Helicopters, DCS and if is OR a lot more of games.

Sorry for any incorrect spelling. :)

Cheers.

Well OR Doesn't even officially work for Arma 3 ATM so TRackIR is your only option in my mind. Its the best gaming peripheral I've ever bought. Games which don't use it are certainly less immerssive than those that do such as Arma 3.

The question should be do I want to buy TrackIR? If you have the ability to then whole-heartedly yes.

A conversation about OR might be a little premature at this point but certainly one thats on everyones mind :)

• Like 1

Before you decide between TrackIR5 and Oculus, why not try one of the cheaper head-tracking systems first? A delan clip costs about $40 on ebay, and when combined with a PS3 Eye camera for $5 and FreeTrack, you get a fully working system for a lot less money (and the delan clip is compatible with TrackIR if you decide to buy one anyway). 

Or there's the EdTracker, which for £40 will give you a fully working system that uses a MEMS gryoscope and magnetometer so you don't have to worry about other light sources in the room mucking things up. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers, I think I will buy TracKIR. I think It's too soon for VR and there are more than only OR so for now I'll be fine just with TrackIR 5.

But the idea of virtual reality stills, it seems very promising in some time. :D

@MarkDennehy I know how it works but the problem was "Only head tracking, or Virtual reality?" but still thanks for the reply. :)

To be honest, I'm not sure TrackIR and other optical systems are the best available head-tracking option. I've heard nothing but good things about TrackIR and the only negative experience I've had with my own Freetrack setup was caused by a broken zip-tie letting the pointtracker clip move about; but the environmental light sources issue is a bit of a pain. I'm looking forward to testing out my new EdTracker next week to see how they compare. 

• Like 1

Its the best gamaing peripheral I've ever bought.

I would have to agree, I cant play without my trackir now, I even find myself moving my head while watching other peoples vids  :huh:

• Like 2

I'd say give it 2 years at least before even thinking about Oculus for ARMA. Considering what kind of performance you'd need to run two renders of ARMA, I find it unlikely you'll see it functional soon. and you would at least need a 4K resolution and support for that resolution for Oculus for it to be reasonable to fly in ARMA.

60 fps in 4k rendered two times in ARMA III? I'd like to see the monster capable of that.

• Like 1

I have a TrackIR for my home PC. I had the opportunity to use an OR DK2 at some VR presentation a few weeks ago.

TrackIR definitely took some getting used to in terms of getting settings right. I use the TrackClipPro, so I've never had any issues with external light sources interfering with the signal. I don't like that I'm basically FORCED to use headphones when playing- I play Arma 3 with headphones anyway but this is usually an issue when playing something like MF Flight Sim X.

OR, while pretty cool, is not even close to acceptable for Arma3 at the DK2 stage. Unless the consumer version is VASTLY better in terms of resolution, and not just somewhat improved, then I wouldn't bother with OR. I was really disappointed with my trial of ORDK2 because I really think it's cool and the best iteration of VR we have available for consumers at this point. I REALLY wanted it to work, but for such a fast-paced, detail-oriented game as Arma3 I can't trust my gaming with it.

• Like 1

There are two big problems with Oculus. 

1) It needs 60 fps to avoid motion sickness

2) The resolution 

(and Arma3 needs to support it natively, of course)

2) might be good enough in the commercial version, but that would make 1) even harder.

• Like 1

There are two big problems with Oculus. 

1) It needs 60 fps to avoid motion sickness

2) The resolution 

(and Arma3 needs to support it natively, of course)

2) might be good enough in the commercial version, but that would make 1) even harder.

I would add a couple more:

Goggle-like casing means you cannot see your keyboard/HOTAS/other device you need to manipulate.

No current way to make inter-eye separation on a per eye basis. By that I mean when you change the inter-eye separation, both eyes move out. This means that ironsights are aligned with your nose when you raise your rifle (optics are OK). You need to be able to move only one eye so that when you raise your weapon to ironsight, your favoured eye is aligned.

But, I remain optimistic that a good experience will eventually be possible. I can highly recommend TrackIR, I bought it a long time ago and it's a cannot-play-without device for ArmA, flight sims etc. It takes about a day to get used to it, and before you do there'll be lots of head-flapping nonsense :) but after you get used to it you'll never look back. (Well, you will, you'll look back ingame ;)).

• Like 1

I would add a couple more:

Goggle-like casing means you cannot see your keyboard/HOTAS/other device you need to manipulate.

No current way to make inter-eye separation on a per eye basis. By that I mean when you change the inter-eye separation, both eyes move out. This means that ironsights are aligned with your nose when you raise your rifle (optics are OK). You need to be able to move only one eye so that when you raise your weapon to ironsight, your favoured eye is aligned.

Well, I rarely look at the keyboard when playing, but I guess when you remove your hand from the keyboard, it can get interesting. Also, they're working on a lot of different controllers for VR as the keyboard is very impractical, as you say. This won't work with Arma either, unless they develop an calculator version of the xbox controller. ;)

I don't understand the inter-eye separation thing. You could just place the ironsight on the right side of your screen (or left for that matter), but I probably misunderstand. You basically have one screen per eye but the real issue with iron sight would be the ability to focus, or lack of, rather. As everything is on a flat plane, you'd have problems shifting focus from your iron sight to the target.