1 hour ago, RicHornet said:

While RHS is looking better and better and there are great looking changes regarding helicopters, namely the AH-64D I must say that these new changes with the latest patch makes the AH-64D a bit unplayable specially during night time.

Despite the new IHADSS implementation looks very interesting at first glance I must say (and sorry for this) that in practical terms it doesn't work well and neither it is more realistic than the "vanilla" HMD implementations or the IHADSS implementation in the previous versions of RHS and this is why:

1- IHADSS is not an helmet! IHADSS is a device that's attached to an helmet.

This is IHADSS:

Here:

https://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2015/02/elbit-apache-helmets.html

You can read the following:

2- When using IHADSS night vision, IHADSS stops showing the flight and targeting information - This makes night time navigation which is one of IHADSS main features/purposes totally useless, I'm afraid.

3- Related to the previous points, with the current implementation it is impossible to attach Night Vision Googles (NVGs). If this would be possible (like it is in real life, see image below) at least it would partially fix problem 2-

Attaching and using NVGs together with IHADSS is possible and often used operationally as it can be seen in the photo below:

So technically any helmet can be fitted with IHADSS which IMO contradicts a bit the new feature of having a dedicated helmet for using IHADSS. But if this "strategy" is to be followed in the future than I would advise let the player to be able to attach NVGs to the "IHADSS helmet" - this at least would partially solve problems 2- and 3-

IRL the IHADSS cannot be used in conjunction with NVG's, that image shows a pilot just using the HDU.  If he so decides to use his googles, the HDU is flipped aside.  The pilot uses the PNVS to fly at night, not an HDU in conjunction with NOD's.  In 2005-2006, the Army experimented with the use of something called an SDU, which is an IHADSS unit that clipped on to the NVG's.  My unit was one of the testing units.  The Army wound up not adopting it (considering I never saw it after 06 and I was in until 11).  It is like that an all block 1 (which is what RHS apaches are) and 2 64's, and to my knowledge is the same on the block 3 (64E)

Also, IHADSS is actually a part of the aircraft, not the helmet.  You can't take an HDU from a 64, clip it on a random helmet and then go fly a 60.  That's not how it works.  The wiring and actual HDU is part of the Apache.  

As far as the hellfires missing with AI gunners, unfortunately that just seems to be the way it is after Jets DLC reworked all the weapons.  The AI just isn't good enough to point the laser for you.  However, the CUP Apache 114Ls, seemed to work fine.  With laser guided ordinance, you kinda gotta pull double duty and switch between Pilot and CPG, which does not really work well cuz the A3 AI just isn't good enough.  I feel your pain in that as I am an SP only guy

Edited by R0adki11
removed quoted images as per forum rules.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RicHornet said:

IHADSS is not an helmet! IHADSS is a device that's attached to an helmet.

The thing attached to the helmet is the Helmet Display Unit (HDU), not IHADSS in its entirety - IHADSS is a whole system incorporating three elements in the cocpit (HDU, LSD, EOS), and TADS/PNVS on the nose of the helicopter.

Without one or more element, IHADSS is not functional since the the helmet itself works in concert with the Apache. There are a series of Lead Sulfide Detectors (LSD) integrated in the helmet shell that the cockpit's Electro-Optic System (EOS) uses to track the operator's head movement and steer the TADS/PNVS accordingly, and display relative positions of targeting and navigation symbology in the HDU

The AH-64E is an exception, as it has a new helmet called Apache Aircrew Integrated Helmet (AAIH). It uses a system called Improved Magnetic Receiver Unit (IMRU) to track head movement, instead of the LSD/EOS system. It's based on the standard HGU-56/P, but has extra parts bolted on to the back to house the IMRU, in addition to the HDU mount on the side.

The heli pilot helmet in vanilla Arma 3 is quite similar in appearance to AAIH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RicHornet said:

- They miss a lot when using an AI as the gunner! I'm don't know why this is happening but it happens very, very often! This happens with both the AGM-114K Laser guided version and the AGM-114L Radar guided version of the Hellfire.

May I ask which fire mode are you using when issuing fire order to AI?

Would the IHADSS work well with this( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351428303&searchtext=ah-64 ) Apache sense you can control all the weapons, including the cannon from the pilot seat. In my opinion (im not talking down rhs apache or any others) this one is the best in the game, sense you can interact with the cockpit and everything like in dcs lol. But that's just my opinion.

I have a question regarding the countermeasures. Can you actually prevent a lockon from a heat seeking missile by constantly dropping flares or do flares only work after you have been locked on to shake the missile?

9 hours ago, islesfan186 said:

IRL the IHADSS cannot be used in conjunction with NVG's, that image shows a pilot just using the HDU.  If he so decides to use his googles, the HDU is flipped aside.  The pilot uses the PNVS to fly at night, not an HDU in conjunction with NOD's.  In 2005-2006, the Army experimented with the use of something called an SDU, which is an IHADSS unit that clipped on to the NVG's.  My unit was one of the testing units.  The Army wound up not adopting it (considering I never saw it after 06 and I was in until 11).  It is like that an all block 1 (which is what RHS apaches are) and 2 64's, and to my knowledge is the same on the block 3 (64E)

Also, IHADSS is actually a part of the aircraft, not the helmet.  You can't take an HDU from a 64, clip it on a random helmet and then go fly a 60.  That's not how it works.  The wiring and actual HDU is part of the Apache.  

As far as the hellfires missing with AI gunners, unfortunately that just seems to be the way it is after Jets DLC reworked all the weapons.  The AI just isn't good enough to point the laser for you.  However, the CUP Apache 114Ls, seemed to work fine.  With laser guided ordinance, you kinda gotta pull double duty and switch between Pilot and CPG, which does not really work well cuz the A3 AI just isn't good enough.  I feel your pain in that as I am an SP only guy

First of all thanks for the reply.

But and actually in my post I didn't mention that IHADSS, or more precisely the IHADSS HDU would be used together at the same time with NVGs. What I did mention was that the player should have the option to attach to the (same) helmet both a set of NVGs and the IHADSS HDU (the later one can which project the imagery from the PNVS in real life). With this the player could either select IHADSS or alternately the NVGs.

I'm pretty sure that you being a former Apache pilot/crewman you'll fully agree with me that the current solution makes the task of flying and navigating the RHS Apache at night an almost impossible feat/task (for example, no flight data is displayed on IHADSS when using the "simulated" PNVS/IR imagery) let alone to fight with it also at night.

At least having the possibility to use NVGs alternatively (I repeat alternatively) to IHADSS (with the current RHS solution) would make the task of flying/navigating at night, a possible and feasible task.

Yes, I'm aware that IHADSS is part of the aircraft and not part of the helmet - that's actually what I said in my previous post. The next part where you say:

"You can't take an HDU from a 64, clip it on a random helmet and then go fly a 60"

Seems to contradict a bit what you previously (and obviously correctly) said that "IHADSS is part of the aircraft and not part of the helmet". Actually I'm sure that you being a former Apache/crewman you know better than I that the HDU is a device that is easily attached and detached from an helmet mount. This can be read here:

https://books.google.pt/books?id=fl6OpXvwmLEC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=IHADSS+HDU&source=bl&ots=STYR9dg9UF&sig=YHk_zACXkXFeqzGc9S1PGFxV8hE&hl=pt-PT&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAkYW08vLcAhWu4IUKHY11DKEQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=IHADSS HDU&f=false

So from everything that I know about the subject, attaching an IHADSS HDU to a "random helmet" can indeed be done as long as the helmet has a mount compatible with the HDU.

Well, I hope that the Hellfire issue gets solved ASAP, even because like you correctly said other Apache mods (like CUP) don't have this problem and I'm also mainly a single player guy as well which sometimes also plays in co-op but almost always supporting the guys on the ground which means that even in co-op I almost always play with an AI gunner.

On 8/15/2018 at 6:38 PM, dragon01 said:

Are there any plans for additional MLRS ammo? I mean mostly the M31 and M30 guided rounds, as well as the ATACAMS. All of them can be launched from HIMARS units. ATACAMS may not even need a new launcher model, because it uses a 6-lid container that makes it look the same as a standard launcher from outside.

On top of what Reyhard has said, I actually built a ATACMS pod, but no ATACMS missile yet. So, it might be possible. Ideally we want to hot-swap the rocket pod types, but that might not be possible, and it would have to be 2 variants, which IMO would kind of suck. 

So, we shall see :)

As far as M31/M30, I think that is doable, we just didn't really have anyone with time to do anything more than one missile type for this patch. 

8 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

The thing attached to the helmet is the Helmet Display Unit (HDU), not IHADSS in its entirety - IHADSS is a whole system incorporating three elements in the cocpit (HDU, LSD, EOS), and TADS/PNVS on the nose of the helicopter.

Without one or more element, IHADSS is not functional since the the helmet itself works in concert with the Apache. There are a series of Lead Sulfide Detectors (LSD) integrated in the helmet shell that the cockpit's Electro-Optic System (EOS) uses to track the operator's head movement and steer the TADS/PNVS accordingly, and display relative positions of targeting and navigation symbology in the HDU

Yes, I'm aware of that.

When I mentioned IHADSS in my first post here, I was mentioning the HDU part of IHADSS or more precisely IHADSS HDU. Yes, I'm also aware that the HDU can project (to the pilot's eye) IR imagery usually from the PNVS (when it comes to the pilot) which by its turn the PNVS is pointed to the direction where the pilot has his/hers head turned at.

But I admit that when I mentioned IHADSS instead of HDU or more precisely IHADSS HDU, I was oversimplifying and of course I admit my fault here  :f:     

8 hours ago, da12thMonkey said:

The AH-64E is an exception, as it has a new helmet called Apache Aircrew Integrated Helmet (AAIH). It uses a system called Improved Magnetic Receiver Unit (IMRU) to track head movement, instead of the LSD/EOS system. It's based on the standard HGU-56/P, but has extra parts bolted on to the back to house the IMRU, in addition to the HDU mount on the side.

The heli pilot helmet in vanilla Arma 3 is quite similar in appearance to AAIH

Well, that's a similar system to what the AH-1Z has and uses (where in real life the AH-1Z pilots use the TopOwl helmet from Thales).

IMO it would be better if the RHS devs used the same approach on the Apache as they used on their own AH-1Z.

is there any reason you guys didn't implement the KAC grip from that MGM grips addon you guys incorporated? while I'd say within the past couple of years the TD grips have grown more prevalent, the KAC grip has been pretty popular in the past and they still pop up now and then. given that the scope of the mod is roughly 2008-2016, and I'd say that the KAC grip would be very appropriate, especially on the earlier end of that range. of course I can just as well continue to use the MGM grips in addition to RHS, but I guess I'm just curious about the rationale.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

is there any reason you guys didn't implement the KAC grip from that MGM grips addon you guys incorporated?

They didn't send that one to us.

Think they assumed someone on our team would finish their own model of a KAC grip that they had started, and we didn't need the MGM one

7 hours ago, RicHornet said:

IMO it would be better if the RHS devs used the same approach on the Apache as they used on their own AH-1Z.

Conversely, it's more likely that the Viper will get the same treatment as the Apache in future

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hamakaze said:

I could be wrong but i think i've run across a fallout 4 mod that uses some of your AFRF Uniforms, It looks really similiar so i just thought i'd let you know:

http://modgames.net/load/fallout_4/bronja/russian/406-1-0-22744

"Boheima and others that worked on them great high quality assets."

Yeah. I'm pretty sure it's stolen.

7 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

is there any reason you guys didn't implement the KAC grip from that MGM grips addon you guys incorporated?

because i have one planned (HP mesh done) that would go perfectly with my MK17.

• Like 3

Best way to fix AI gunner issue is to equipe the AH-64 with AGM-114L and use manual fire.

12 hours ago, RicHornet said:

First of all thanks for the reply.

But and actually in my post I didn't mention that IHADSS, or more precisely the IHADSS HDU would be used together at the same time with NVGs. What I did mention was that the player should have the option to attach to the (same) helmet both a set of NVGs and the IHADSS HDU (the later one can which project the imagery from the PNVS in real life). With this the player could either select IHADSS or alternately the NVGs.

I'm pretty sure that you being a former Apache pilot/crewman you'll fully agree with me that the current solution makes the task of flying and navigating the RHS Apache at night an almost impossible feat/task (for example, no flight data is displayed on IHADSS when using the "simulated" PNVS/IR imagery) let alone to fight with it also at night.

At least having the possibility to use NVGs alternatively (I repeat alternatively) to IHADSS (with the current RHS solution) would make the task of flying/navigating at night, a possible and feasible task.

Yes, I'm aware that IHADSS is part of the aircraft and not part of the helmet - that's actually what I said in my previous post. The next part where you say:

"You can't take an HDU from a 64, clip it on a random helmet and then go fly a 60"

Seems to contradict a bit what you previously (and obviously correctly) said that "IHADSS is part of the aircraft and not part of the helmet". Actually I'm sure that you being a former Apache/crewman you know better than I that the HDU is a device that is easily attached and detached from an helmet mount. This can be read here:

https://books.google.pt/books?id=fl6OpXvwmLEC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq=IHADSS+HDU&source=bl&ots=STYR9dg9UF&sig=YHk_zACXkXFeqzGc9S1PGFxV8hE&hl=pt-PT&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAkYW08vLcAhWu4IUKHY11DKEQ6AEwAHoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=IHADSS HDU&f=false

So from everything that I know about the subject, attaching an IHADSS HDU to a "random helmet" can indeed be done as long as the helmet has a mount compatible with the HDU.

Well, I hope that the Hellfire issue gets solved ASAP, even because like you correctly said other Apache mods (like CUP) don't have this problem and I'm also mainly a single player guy as well which sometimes also plays in co-op but almost always supporting the guys on the ground which means that even in co-op I almost always play with an AI gunner.

What I meant was you cannot wear an IHADSS helmet and then go fly a 60 and expect IHADSS to work, as that aircraft does not have an IHADSS system.  The HDU is plugged into the Apache.

Misunderstood what you meant with the NVG/HDU combo as well.

12 hours ago, payne2010 said:

Would the IHADSS work well with this( https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1351428303&searchtext=ah-64 ) Apache sense you can control all the weapons, including the cannon from the pilot seat. In my opinion (im not talking down rhs apache or any others) this one is the best in the game, sense you can interact with the cockpit and everything like in dcs lol. But that's just my opinion.

Doesn't that one already have its own symbology?  I haven't tried it since Voodoo took the project over from Franze and Nod.  From what I understand from the discord, you need a 2 player crew to use the aircraft now.  An AI gunner won't suffice, which for an SP guy like me is a bummer, so i kept the original from Nod

Thanks for the answer on the 9K11, well it s a bit weird to use, but it's challenging. 

An other question about roquet launchers and Anti tank ammo, are you planning one day to implement fragmentation when hit by a RPG, I mean when you hit a vehicle with an RPG you disable it sometime, but the crew is never in a big danger, are you planning to change that one day? It's done with the AP ammo with machine guns, I was able to kill everyone in a M113 with a RPK so I guess it can be done so you can kill the crew with an RPG or a shell comming from a tank.

13 minutes ago, islesfan186 said:

Doesn't that one already have its own symbology?  I haven't tried it since Voodoo took the project over from Franze and Nod.  From what I understand from the discord, you need a 2 player crew to use the aircraft now.  An AI gunner won't suffice, which for an SP guy like me is a bummer, so i kept the original from Nod

I've always been able to use the guns even if I have no gunner, you just have switch on the main fire and some other things to make the gun and Hud track to the direction you head is pointing. Now idk if it works well with the hellfire's but I know the cannon works great!

idk if this is a bug or just something that needs to be tweaked but the Abrams reload time is WAY to slow. It took 11 seconds to reload, it should take less then 6 seconds.

39 minutes ago, marez12 said:

Thanks for the answer on the 9K11, well it s a bit weird to use, but it's challenging. 

An other question about roquet launchers and Anti tank ammo, are you planning one day to implement fragmentation when hit by a RPG, I mean when you hit a vehicle with an RPG you disable it sometime, but the crew is never in a big danger, are you planning to change that one day? It's done with the AP ammo with machine guns, I was able to kill everyone in a M113 with a RPK so I guess it can be done so you can kill the crew with an RPG or a shell comming from a tank.

Do you mean spalling? I'm sure that's been in for a while, unless this update has removed it in favour of vanilla.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, PuFu said:

That's really good news! Anyway besides all recently reported issues with tanks can we also expect a hotfix of missing direction indicator in US Army vehicles such like M1 and M2? 

1 hour ago, islesfan186 said:

What I meant was you cannot wear an IHADSS helmet and then go fly a 60 and expect IHADSS to work, as that aircraft does not have an IHADSS system.  The HDU is plugged into the Apache.

Misunderstood what you meant with the NVG/HDU combo as well.

Roger that. Yes, I misunderstood what you meant with IHADSS helmet and as such I apologize.

You're absolutely right about IHADSS (including the HDU) being plugged to (or part of) the Apache which is one more reason or I would say the main reason why this recent "RHS decision" to model IHADSS as a helmet in 0.4.6 isn't accurate and overall a "bad decision" (I hope I'm not being too harsh here) and as such one of the main reasons that prompted me to post here.