I've found a bug in the AH-6. When ordering the copilot to target something, he doesn't actually point the camera at it, sometimes following a point about 90 degrees off to the side. If it worked correctly then it would be possible to use the Hellfires with an AI copilot (he can turn on the laser just fine, it turns out).

It is pretty silent over here so I guess time for some small video ;)

• Like 19

Aaah. The memories from good'ol Operation Flashpoint. Shooting this at M60's on Malden.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, and good job :) Looks like you got the sights setup perfectly (for distance estimation etc). Bravo!

also because this thread has been silent recently as reyhard said, and because i did say that i might copy over some of what happens on out social media, here's some shameless image:

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

So with the new Tanks DLC coming out and with it's own version of the T-14, what will happen to the model that was given earlier last year?

Does anyone know how to use the Stinger properly? It seems pretty useless against even a hovering helicopter if it releases countermeasure. The missile just fly straight into the air and not tracking.

Hey guys.

Is it just me, or does RHS override the command setUnitPos ?

• I place 2 units - 1 blufor and 1 opfor
  • i set the unit position as middle with the command setUnitPos
  • when the unit spots me, they change stance
  • also tried with double-clicking the unit and setting the stance position as middle - same result

Eh, I know you're not planning interiors, but coming from vanilla vehicles to RHS is now a bit... difficult. I didn't fully realize just how great it is to have an interior on a tank mission until we got them on devbranch. 

20 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

but coming from vanilla vehicles to RHS is now a bit... difficult

More or less difficult, than learning 3D modelling and making some interiors for us?

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Poentis.K said:

So with the new Tanks DLC coming out and with it's own version of the T-14, what will happen to the model that was given earlier last year?

...our model has nothing to do with Tanks DLC....RHS version will be released, as always, when it is one.

24 minutes ago, dragon01 said:

Eh, I know you're not planning interiors, but coming from vanilla vehicles to RHS is now a bit... difficult. I didn't fully realize just how great it is to have an interior on a tank mission until we got them on devbranch. 

what @da12thMonkeysaid....i personally wouldn't mind modelling some interiors, as long as i'd have proper references, diagrams etc. but these are hard to come by, the few pictures available area really narrow, unfocused and most of the times not taken inside the same vehicle - variations. Would these be nice to have? sure it does. Does is worth the time to get them in? i still think it doesn't.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Small SP mission with RHS assets

Sadly, diagrams for anything but the T-72 may still be classified information. T-90 is probably similar to T-72 in the general layout, so there's that. Hmm... I wonder if someone at BIS could be persuaded to take a camera to Edita's interior. :) 

To think of it, Burnes Armories, IIRC, had a good-looking Abrams interior. The creator left the community due to some bunch of jerks, but even if she doesn't want to donate the models, she could have some references handy. Dunno how one would contact her, though. In any case, pics and diagrams for Abrams are probably easiest to come by - Russians have an annoying tendency of using hard copies for everything.

I don't think I'll have the opportunity to learn modeling anytime soon, but I'll try to post any good pics of the relevant tank interiors I come across.

16 hours ago, Wiki said:

Hey guys.

Is it just me, or does RHS override the command setUnitPos ?

• I place 2 units - 1 blufor and 1 opfor
  • i set the unit position as middle with the command setUnitPos
  • when the unit spots me, they change stance
  • also tried with double-clicking the unit and setting the stance position as middle - same result

Its just you, I've been doing this in missions for a long time and have never had an issue.

I ran a penetration test using the AK104, AK74M, M4A1, M2010, M40A5, M107, and T5000 in that order from left to right. The first one uses regular FMJ ammunition (57-N-231, 7N10, M855A1, .300 Winchester, M118, M33, and .338 lapua) and the second uses AP ammunition where applicable (57-N_231(86), 7N22, Mk318 [not designed as an AP cartridge but has the best penetration performance, IRL the M995 is the military's 5.56mm AP cartridge], M993, M211, the rest unchanged).  The targets were 9 shoot house panels. Just for those of you who are curious/the devs if they want to see if the ammunition is performing as it is meant to.

20180315020733_1.jpg

20180315020428_1.jpg

For normal rounds the AK105 only penetrates 3 layers, the AK74M & the M4A1 & the M107 penetrate 6 layers, the M40A5 penetrates 3 layers, the M2010 penetrates 7 layers, and the T5000 penetrates all 9. For armor piercing ammunition, the AK105 & M4A1 penetrate 6 layers, the AK74M & M107 penetrate all 9, and the M40A5 penetrates 7 layers. Note that in some cases it appears that a round penetrates but the trajectory cuts short immediately after going through without touching anything including the ground; these are likely the result of lack of precision when the game calculates terminal ballistics and I have not counted them. 

These characteristics are shared by all weapons that are chambered in the same cartridge and are crewed in a similar way (i.e. vehicle or infantry weapons). Vehicle mounted weapons with the same cartridge share penetration characteristics among themselves both not with infantry counterparts as both the vehicle mounted M240 and M2 (same cartridge as the M107) machine guns can penetrate all 9 layers.

M240G infantry version firing M61, M62, and M80A1 from top to bottom

20180315023531_1.jpg 

Tank mounted counterpart. Top: M240 Bottom: Commander's M2

20180315012636_1.jpg=

20180315012428_1.jpg

I forget to get a screenshot of the GAU19 (Gatling gun firing .50BMG, same cartridge as M2 HMG) doing the same thing, but it can also penetrate 9 layers; for practical purposes, this is what taking cover in a house will do

20180315010812_1.jpg

And in case you were wondering, the A10 just wrecks everything.

20180315012056_1.jpg

20180315011149_1.jpg

I’d be happy to test the penetration of anything else if anyone is curious about something in particular. 

*note that the penetration is not a straight up indicator of the damage it can inflict as shotgun shells do massive damage but have abysmal penetration. I will do some testing on [body damage] in the future as well and will share the results.

**across the board the infantry weapons from RHS seem to have worse penetration than their vanilla counterparts chambered in the same cartridge.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, CPT J. Shaw said:

Its just you, I've been doing this in missions for a long time and have never had an issue.

:(

56 minutes ago, Poentis.K said:

@cry me a river Astounding tests. That is rather interesting the vehicle mounted coax/MG just penetrates better than infantry weapons.

I’m gonna run some more tests tonight but I have a theory that while the infantry weapons are specifically modelled from the ground up the vehicle weapons rely at least partially on stats from the vanilla game, the M2 machine gun in particular. As I already stated the vanilla game’s weapons have higher penetration than their modded counterparts. I’ll have an illustration up soon.

• Like 2

Just another quick comparison. The first demonstrates the vanilla 7.62mm and 5.56mm performance. The next shows the vanilla .50cal, the US M2 AA turret, and the KORD 6U gun.

vanillarifles.jpg

vanilla%20.50.jpg

m2%20AA.jpg

dshk.jpg

The A10 and Su25 for all practical purposes have the same penetration. I used concrete walls and a stupid number of shoot house panels as the targets. I gave up trying to find how many panels will finally stop either one.

su25nd.jpg

su25.jpg

a10.jpg

The abrams seems to have better penetration than the T90A (obr 2006g) firing APFSDS shells. The abrams will consistently penetrate 8 concrete walls while the T90A will at most penetrate 7 and usually only penetrates half of that.

abrams.jpg 

t90.jpg

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Wiki said:

:(

I use it in conjunction with [this disableai "move";] and [this disableai "path";] though so that might be of some use to solve your problem.

1 hour ago, CPT J. Shaw said:

I use it in conjunction with [this disableai "move";] and [this disableai "path";] though so that might be of some use to solve your problem.

Nope :(

11 hours ago, cry me a river said:

I’m gonna run some more tests tonight but I have a theory that while the infantry weapons are specifically modelled from the ground up the vehicle weapons rely at least partially on stats from the vanilla game, the M2 machine gun in particular. As I already stated the vanilla game’s weapons have higher penetration than their modded counterparts. I’ll have an illustration up soon.

Really nice testing. Next up maybe apc/ifv autocannons? 

On 3/15/2018 at 5:20 AM, cry me a river said:

**across the board the infantry weapons from RHS seem to have worse penetration than their vanilla counterparts chambered in the same cartridge.

Just note that vanilla weapons are using somehow futuristic bullets which have really high penetration values. It's i.e. interesting how i.e. 5.56 evolved during the years where first bullet couldn't penetrate more than 2mm of RHA steel & current m855a1 epr is supposed to go up to 10mm.

Also bear in mind that m855a1 has higher penetration than Mk318

M2 is using SLAP bullets where M107 is using Mk 211which has sort of small HEAT like penetrator which doesn't work against objects (test it i.e. with vehicles) due to Arma limitations (might be changed with Tanks DLC)

For tank rounds - 3bm42/48 is rated 680mm of RHA at 2km where M829A3 at ~850mm RHA.

Thanks for testing though - fixed that M240 thing on vehicles - they were using previously vanilla ammo and that was the reason why they had so high penetration.

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, reyhard said:

which doesn't work against objects (test it i.e. with vehicles) due to Arma limitations (might be changed with Tanks DLC)

Whoa :) that would be good!

58 minutes ago, reyhard said:

Just note that vanilla weapons are using somehow futuristic bullets which have really high penetration values. It's i.e. interesting how i.e. 5.56 evolved during the years where first bullet couldn't penetrate more than 2mm of RHA steel & current m855a1 epr is supposed to go up to 10mm.

Also bear in mind that m855a1 has higher penetration than Mk318

M2 is using SLAP bullets where M107 is using Mk 211which has sort of small HEAT like penetrator which doesn't work against objects (test it i.e. with vehicles) due to Arma limitations (might be changed with Tanks DLC)

For tank rounds - 3bm42/48 is rated 680mm of RHA at 2km where M829A3 at ~850mm RHA.

Thanks for testing though - fixed that M240 thing on vehicles - they were using previously vanilla ammo and that was the reason why they had so high penetration.

thanks for the clarification. From what I understand, the M855A1 has a steel penetrator cone and a copper slug, the MK318 has an open tipped lead core with a brass penetrator slug behind it, and the MK262 is a heavy lead OTM round which fragments violently. From what I have read on the topic, IRL: the Mk318 is the most accurate with a MOA of just 1.7 at 300 yrds, the M855A1 with its steel penetrator offers slightly higher penetration over the Mk318, and the MK262 inflicts the most damage to soft targets. Wonder if this works in the mod as well. 

1 hour ago, jone_kone said:

Really nice testing. Next up maybe apc/ifv autocannons? 

This afternoon I'll try to get it posted. I'll compare the Bradley with its Russian counterparts. I'll throw in the ZSU23-4 for the hell of it, although it might fire HEI only in which case I wont show it. If I have time I'll also include helicopter mounted guns as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cry me a river said:

thanks for the clarification. From what I understand, the M855A1 has a steel penetrator cone and a copper slug, the MK318 has an open tipped lead core with a brass penetrator slug behind it, and the MK262 is a heavy lead OTM round which fragments violently. From what I have read on the topic, IRL: the Mk318 is the most accurate with a MOA of just 1.7 at 300 yrds, the M855A1 with its steel penetrator offers slightly higher penetration over the Mk318, and the MK262 inflicts the most damage to soft targets. Wonder if this works in the mod as well. 

This afternoon I'll try to get it posted. I'll compare the Bradley with its Russian counterparts. I'll throw in the ZSU23-4 for the hell of it, although it might fire HEI only in which case I wont show it. If I have time I'll also include helicopter mounted guns as well.

M885a1 is currently the highest penetrating 5.56 round we have and IRL it's comparable to the M80 ball in terms of penetration at 300m. Mk318 Mod 0 has the same intent just a different execution and slightly less performance as a result. Both are great rounds and we try our best to replicate their potential with the tools we have.

As for the ZSU23-4, I recently added AP belts to the mod you can use for your test.

rhs_mag_AZP23_250_ap (ZSU)

rhs_mag_AZP23_100_ap (ZU)