What's the protocol on requests for RHS?

Just don't do it and you'll be ok )))

• Like 7

Realised I hadn't added highpoly renders of my Mosin Nagant to my portfolio and figured I might as well post them here as an advertisement for anyone yet to check out RHS:GREF:

Tmcjj9P.png

xvXu6LQ.jpg

Also this video shows some new tweaks to its in-game implementation, by myself and others:

More here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BwYN6

• Like 18

#femalesoldiersforArma 

My sentiments too, having just read about Lyudmila Pavilchenko

@Bek - nice Nagant rifle but i think the wood is way too dark for it :P

There's a fair range of wood colours, from this to this. I did experiment with the opposite end of the spectrum but never got anything quite to my liking. I might have to revisit that at some point.

• Like 3

There's a fair range of wood colours, from this to this. I did experiment with the opposite end of the spectrum but never got anything quite to my liking. I might have to revisit that at some point.

could just use the excuse that they guy who uses it in the game put a bit too much weatherproofing on it.

My sentiments too, having just read about Lyudmila Pavilchenko

A lighter shade of wood would make the details pop out more though

Makes you wonder why RHS bother posting WIP screenshots when every time they do the thread de-rails into post after post of "The wood is too dark!" or the good old fashioned "Will you implement variant 'X'?"  :rolleyes:

• Like 5

What's the protocol on requests for RHS?

I'm actually thinking of writing down such a protocol:

Making a request without all the references needed for modelling + texturing  (as in close ups, details, blueprints, full walk-arounds etc) + all the real data for it will not even get a second glance.

That doesn't mean making a proper request means it will will automatically be made for arma, but at least some of the very time consuming work that means searching for proper refs will be made by the one who wants that piece of equipment in. I think it is only fair that way. Also, maybe this way we'll see less requests about shit that doesn't exists, is not fielded etc

I personally feel for a weapon of that age, a darker, more used up wood is a better choice. The ones you've seen with lighted wood have been carefully looked after, in some cases even reconditioned if not completely refurbished and the stock remade. It is a moot point either way: want a lighter color, do create a retexture yourself, no one is stoping you

• Like 6

could just use the excuse that they guy who uses it in the game put a bit too much weatherproofing on it.

Don't need an excuse when there's real world ref to back it up. Stuff gets worn and weathered in all sorts of ways.

Perhaps. However, I like red. There's also different types of grain, which I did try, but I didn't get it looking anywhere near good enough imo.

Then you forgot something.

To what, go back in time to make a different rifle?

Makes you wonder why RHS bother posting WIP screenshots when every time they do the thread de-rails into post after post of "The wood is too dark!" or the good old fashioned "Will you implement variant 'X'?"  :rolleyes:

Meh. There's little point in posting if people don't get to have their say on what they like/dislike... which may (probably not) have an affect down the road on further pieces. Though, I may regret mentioning that I'm again watching this video and thinking "hmm..."

• Like 3

My favourites are on the Facebook page. WIP photo gets posted, nek minnit the comments start rolling in with "plz maek item-that's-probably-already-been-considered-or-is-heinously-outside-of-scope", often cleverly veiled with a "luks gud" prefix.

• Like 6

To what, go back in time to make a different rifle?

I mean PU scope.

Mosin Rifle factory ajusted to shoot only with a bayonet.With detached bayonet - rifle inacurrate,bullet flies reight from line of sight.

Only sniper version of Mosin rifle are able to fire without bayonet,but they was as well equipped with PU sight from factory.

So,to be correct - you have to create bayonet and/or PU sight.

Oh,I'd like to back in time,but also can't.

Then that's a 91/30 'sniper' variant. My mosin is an M38 carbine. The 91/30 is longer, has a bent bolt handle to accommodate the scope, and obviously the PU mount. So it's a different rifle. You wouldn't be able to open the bolt with the PU scope attached on the m38 with the straight bolt handle. I don't think I've ever seen a shortened version of the mosin (m91/38, m91/59, m38 or M44) with a scope mount/bent bolt handle, nor would it make sense to see one from that era. If I were to do a 91/30 (unlikely, but maybe I'll catch mosin-fever again) it would make sense to have the option for the PU scope. But there are cooler mosin variants to consider (scout rifle mashup, OTs-48k)

• Like 4

Then that's a 91/30 'sniper' variant. My mosin is an M38 carbine. The 91/30 is longer, has a bent bolt handle to accommodate the scope, and obviously the PU mount. So it's a different rifle. You wouldn't be able to open the bolt with the PU scope attached on the m38 with the straight bolt handle. I don't think I've ever seen a shortened version of the mosin (m91/38, m91/59, m38 or M44) with a scope mount/bent bolt handle, nor would it make sense to see one from that era. If I were to do a 91/30 (unlikely, but maybe I'll catch mosin-fever again) it would make sense to have the option for the PU scope. But there are cooler mosin variants to consider (scout rifle mashup, OTs-48k)

Sad.But still... you miss it. :P

Makes you wonder why RHS bother posting WIP screenshots when every time they do the thread de-rails into post after post of "The wood is too dark!" ?"  :rolleyes:

LOL , why so negative? - i just said my opinion about the texture  :blink:

isn't a reason to give some feedback or something ? or that's too cliche nowdays?

also when Bek likes it then it is fine , its his work after all  :P

• Like 2

Don't need an excuse when there's real world ref to back it up. Stuff gets worn and weathered in all sorts of ways.

One humbly apologizes, my only experience with wood weathering is painting a fence in creosote. Upon review (half an hour looking at google) i have discovered that dark red - virtually black seems to be more common than not. Guess the coloring comes from the wood rather than whatever is applied to protect it. Which is a nice segue onto my question of what wood is it, and does anyone know if that's a recurring type of wood used for all Russian arms with wooden furniture?

Edit: before i get told to look it up, i have but most places seem to devolve into discussing weather putting 'arctic' in front of birch makes it a different tree, and people seem to disagree if its birch, walnut, or chestnut.

A quick google seems to say that most pre-1945 mosins are (various types of) Birch, with Beech being less common. After that they started using wood laminate. And apparently other countries (US, France) made walnut stocks. Maybe there are some rarer types out there made by smaller manufacturers with different types of local woods too.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?217525-Type-of-Wood-in-a-Mosin-91-30

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/what-type-of-wood-is-my-mosin-stock.142135/

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9765

• Like 3

I agree that there are, it would be really interesting to see some of the Finnish models, I've heard stories about how finely crafted they were and I think the used a re-worked Mosin action sniper rifle (kind of similar in philosophy to what the L42 was to the Lee Enfield No. 4) into the 80s and 90s. Still from my understanding, I think the Mosin as currently included in RHS fits into a niche role quite well as an obsolete yet effective (if used properly) legacy weapon for irregular forces.

LOL , why so negative? - i just said my opinion about the texture  :blink:

isn't a reason to give some feedback or something ? or that's too cliche nowdays?

also when Bek likes it then it is fine , its his work after all  :P

It wasn't directed at you, anyone in particular or for that matter at the Mosin situation that was unfolding - it was simply a generalised statement from the last few months.

*RHS announce LAV's are "being looked at"*

*4 pages of "Will you add variant 'X' and Weapon armament 'Y'?"

*RHS show off screens of M40A1 (I think, I'm going from memory and thats not what it used to be)*

*several pages of "Going to make an M24?" "Will you add 'teh camoes'"*

Anyway, lets get back to the topic at hand....which from looking at the thread is....still the Mosin textures  ^_^

• Like 5

I'm actually thinking of writing down such a protocol:

Making a request without all the references needed for modelling + texturing  (as in close ups, details, blueprints, full walk-arounds etc) + all the real data for it will not even get a second glance.

That doesn't mean making a proper request means it will will automatically be made for arma, but at least some of the very time consuming work that means searching for proper refs will be made by the one who wants that piece of equipment in. I think it is only fair that way. Also, maybe this way we'll see less requests about shit that doesn't exists, is not fielded etc

I personally feel for a weapon of that age, a darker, more used up wood is a better choice. The ones you've seen with lighted wood have been carefully looked after, in some cases even reconditioned if not completely refurbished and the stock remade. It is a moot point either way: want a lighter color, do create a retexture yourself, no one is stoping you

That maybe a solution. But here is one issue.

I would like the latest Russian equipment. I even tried to find a high res Digi Flora texture to create a vector illustration of that as a side project. I could find only low res images online and mostly clothing shots. And not speaking a word of Russian and not being Russian this may be an issue for me because language barriers and not from even remotely close to Russia-Try South Africa. Googling in Russian using Google translate may be an issue. Accuracy etc. Diagrams in Russian and unsure if its factual? Not well versed in the subject matter.

Am I led to believe it is only Zenitco that makes AK trimmings? But that is all I know regards to weapon accessories for Russian Weapons. How do I really "request" things like this and provide credible references etc with again not really any sort of frame of reference. I could find you likely a 150 articles and images on M16's just as an example but if I had to ask for a thermal scope developed by Russia for the Ratnik program. I heard it does exist but where it is regards fielded. Tested. Exact images....well that is where the plot thickens. Thus I think I best not ask?

• Like 3

i guess it helps to try to make some friends who are in the know about stuff like that, these days with the internet it is already much more feasible than in the 80s :)