5 hours ago, texkaz said:

Why dont you guys release a fix for helicopter atgms and get your stuff up to par with the jets dlc? New content or not. Its been forever.

Entitlement detected; insert coin(s) to continue

• Like 20

Hello, i'm trying to adjust the m252 mortar, how can i set the correct range and azimuth ?

Entitlement is demanding new content RIGHT NOW! No, I don't demand that. Take your time on the new content guys. The problem is you have all your air completely nonfunctional for half a year. CUP figured it out, many mods have figured out how to have missiles lock onto things after jets. What is the hold up? What roadblock are you guys coming across?

But yeah, fuck me for giving feedback after half a year on a bug fix.

• Like 3

It will be done, when it's done, man. All of us are eager as hell to get our hands on the next update for all manner of reasons but that isn't really the way the RHS team rolls. They provide bigger updates, even if that means less often.

I'm sure we will see an uodate and bug fixes soon but for now I highly recomend using both CUP and Firewill's aircraft until RHS are good and ready.

22 minutes ago, texkaz said:

Entitlement is demanding new content RIGHT NOW! No, I don't demand that. Take your time on the new content guys. The problem is you have all your air completely nonfunctional for half a year. CUP figured it out, many mods have figured out how to have missiles lock onto things after jets. What is the hold up? What roadblock are you guys coming across?

Thing is, aside from fixing all these things we also built a huge anount of new stuff. It takes time. If we were not creating new things, it would be there the same day.

If a mod breaking patch comes out, we cannot uninject all the new unfinished things, and cherrypick just the changes. Just the way it is unfortunately.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, texkaz said:

CUP figured it out, many mods have figured out how to have missiles lock onto things after jets. What is the hold up?

Did you ever stop to consider that the way we have updated the missiles sensors is entirely linked in with adding dynamic loadouts and a bunch of new content such as new munitions, changes to the existing aircraft models (some quite extensively) and even adding new aircraft?

Not least, a bunch of the old air weapons ammo and magazine classes have been thrown out and replaced with new ones so we can standardise things as much as possible or simply because the old magazines etc. were no longer needed now the planes handle the loads dynamically.

Just releasing an updated config for the old missiles hasn't been an option for a very long time without reverting tens of hours of of config changes and transfer of data

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, texkaz said:

Well the way you worded it did suggest that you were demanding an update. For someone who makes missions, you should understand and appreciate that making addons takes time. After all addon making is a hobby to most, i am sure once an update is ready the RHS team will release it.

• Like 3

We had the same issues on a smaller scale. We only have a few different helicopters in our pack, and have now made them compatible with the Jet DLC. However, the reason why it took so long is because we were well down the road with adding new content to our mod packs when the Jet DLC was released. We couldn't simply unpick all of that work from the pack simply to release a Jet DLC hotfix. We had to push through until everything else was finished for release. Given the scale and size of the RHS mod packs, it stands to reason that it will take them longer to a) implement the changes into all of their aircraft, and b) polish up all of the new content already woven into the packs so that it is also ready for release.

• Like 9

Pity that in the end, nothing came of the talk of Steam Workshop allowing more frequent releases. I would have preferred releases with a smaller amount of content, but coming out somewhat more often. Looking all the way back, it was floated a few times (including a monthly release schedule), but for some reason, it always reverted to "one mega-release once in a blue moon" model.

It would be more or less fine if new content was the only issue (though in case a bug in RHS is found, hotfixes are also rare and only happen shortly after a mega-release). However, despite the claims about "no major changes to the engine", BI is still releasing new features and occasionally breaking old ones. I've been pretty much only testing official content for the last few months just because I'm "waiting for the next update".

Regarding "uninjecting" new content, this is what branches are for. If something like a game-breaking DLC comes up, you could, for example, base the fixed version on the "stable" branch, test and release that, then merge the fixes into the "development" branch, assuming it didn't change too much in the meantime. This is the paradigm that the base game uses, and RHS is definitely large enough to try that as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

@dragon01 I think it's more than a little unfair to tell one of the most professional mod teams out there how they should go about doing their update schedules and development branches. 

Well its ok, I mean we get why people are upset. It is what it is. When the last update came out, it was very stable so we decided to spend some time to really include some great things. At the time we also did not foresee that game patches would make things unplayable. It was too late for a hotfix.

And yes we did talk of a monthly release schedule and more accelerated development with steam, but steam is just one component. Other things need to be made in order for this to work. Summertime is also historically speaking a very quiet period. We might consider rolling updates at some point, but we need to be more comfortable releasing unfinished things without the fear of being criticized and pummeled for unfinished work.

• Like 20

Thanks for explaining Soul Assassin. See I had no clue you couldn't just separate it all out and was confused why you couldn't just fix it like all the one jet mods like saber has.  Does Bohemia ever give you a heads up on these new issues? Because with the armor dlc coming out it would suck to have all your tanks non-functional right after you fixed the air issue.

7 minutes ago, texkaz said:

Thanks for explaining Soul Assassin. See I had no clue you couldn't just separate it all out and was confused why you couldn't just fix it like all the one jet mods like saber has.  Does Bohemia ever give you a heads up on these new issues? Because with the armor dlc coming out it would suck to have all your tanks non-functional right after you fixed the air issue.

In fact we have some insiders...

• Like 13

2 hours ago, soul_assassin said:

We might consider rolling updates at some point, but we need to be more comfortable releasing unfinished things without the fear of being criticized and pummeled for unfinished work.

I think it would be best to do exactly what BIS did - set up a public devbranch for unfinished stuff. You might have a few dimwits complaining about it, but most people who download a "development" build don't expect things to work perfectly (seeing as the point of running a dev branch is help make them so for everyone else). That would still require some changes in workflow, from what I gather, but it should allow more frequent (maybe not necessarily daily) updates, as well as extended testing of assets. Additionally, if main branch gets broken at any point, you could lock the dev down (or put up an RC branch if you feel like maintaining more than two), switch to "bugfix mode" and try to get a release out quickly.

I think you should just wait, I've been patiently playing Fallout 4 in the meantime, take your time lol. Lord only knows how much it would suck if you released an update only for it to be broken by the new DLC a few weeks after launch.

• Like 1

That's what I'm doing, and what I've been doing for the past six months. It's getting a bit old, you know? 

If an update was broken a few weeks after launch, it wouldn't be so bad, since then all the work could then go towards a new update that would fix it, a big hotfix if you will. Not only that, you should know that the changes were available on devbranch for several weeks. Had the update been ready by then, it could be delayed for Jets DLC stuff and just that

1 hour ago, dragon01 said:

I think it would be best to do exactly what BIS did - set up a public devbranch for unfinished stuff.

Nah, people would complain about broken shit everyday.

Also, I dont think anyone in the team wants the burden of updating it on a daily basis.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, texkaz said:

Fortunately, I think RHS uses a separate, custom system for armored combat, so unless BI does some absolutely massive engine overhauls at the baseline level with tanks DLC, I doubt there'd be any issues. That said, I'm not a part of RHS and I didn't make their tanks so I could easily be completely wrong.

Awesome cockpit. Looks almost like DCS. Really wish it was interactive, but I really don't want any further delays. :) 

1 hour ago, Redphoenix said:

Also, I dont think anyone in the team wants the burden of updating it on a daily basis.

That's why I said daily updates are not a necessary part of the scheme, unless your workflow just happens to work that way. They could be anything from weekly to once a month. You don't have to copy BIS model exactly. The point is that they'd be more frequent than normal ones, and on a semi-regular basis.

I know that there will be complaints from those who shouldn't be playing the devbranch, and obviously you might get some "strongly worded feedback" as well, but my experience with experimental builds is generally positive (of course, it does mostly come from a different, smaller community). A good idea would be having this depend on BIS devbranch (if it's possible to do with Steam), so people would require a basic grasp of the concept to play it, as opposed to blindly subscribing from Steam.

• Like 1

I think pumping out hundreds of different dev builds is totally out of the question. A better alternative would just be to resume twitch dev/gaming streams... generally I feel that satisfies many people's curiosities about RHS dev processes. Plus it's fun to hang out and talk with you all in real time.

8 hours ago, reyhard said:

In fact we have some insiders...

No one has realized what you do other than RHS :)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Redphoenix said:

Nah, people would complain about broken shit everyday.

But... this may sound a little naive since I'm not familiar with the context as much,

but who cares about random internet people complaining about the stuff that's on devbranch and is strictly & obviously capitalized as "WORK IN PROGRESS"?

Are you getting daily emails with threats and bad language about the thing X not working at time Y in an environment of Z? Etc., etc. Just being curious.
For me, personally, it'd be an interesting experience to play RHS while it's work in progress and experiment with new additions, etc., if the releases are weekly or semi-monthly.

There'll be folks who are interested in your devbranch and love it, appreciate it, and there'll inevitably be those who hate it. But we release stuff for appreciation, not hatred, right?

So as long as this project is not a commercial one and what you showcase to people won't determine your future profits, there's no reason to hold back other than personal preferences like modding becoming a job with too tight and scheduled releases, etc.
that's my 0.02.

4 hours ago, wendyvonbraun said:

I think pumping out hundreds of different dev builds is totally out of the question. A better alternative would just be to resume twitch dev/gaming streams... generally I feel that satisfies many people's curiosities about RHS dev processes. Plus it's fun to hang out and talk with you all in real time.

I would, but I dont have the time right now. And apparently others doent want to for several reasons :P

47 minutes ago, inlesco said:

Are you getting daily emails with threats and bad language about the thing X not working at time Y in an environment of Z? Etc., etc. Just being curious.

Yes, if you could see the amount of Facebook messages we are getting.... They are not all entirely bad, but most of them are pretty.... Well....

47 minutes ago, inlesco said:

There'll be folks who are interested in your devbranch and love it, appreciate it, and there'll inevitably be those who hate it. But we release stuff for appreciation, not hatred, right?

So as long as this project is not a commercial one and what you showcase to people won't determine your future profits, there's no reason to hold back other than personal preferences like modding becoming a job with too tight and scheduled releases, etc.

Again: Who should take care of handling this? It's a huge effort for too little reward.

• Like 3