or, it could just be a piece of crap

Do you have any firsthand experience with either an Osprey, a Growler or a CH-53? 

Form that experience what made you conclude that one of the above was "a piece of crap"? Just to be clear, I'm legit interested in your experience.

MV-22 seems like a really good idea on paper, and for a specific role (really fast, long distance insertion of troops) it's probably great.

My experience with it is that it requires an LZ 2-3.5x the size of an MH-47, and takes much longer on approach (can't accurately describe the time, but watching from the ramp, the 30s call is made when it's already trying to flare whereas the MH-47 makes that call at full speed) which means it can't land on the X (rarely a sizeable LZ for both chalks, dangerous to land that slowly at the X) and if you offset, it's much louder than an MH-47 so you're still looking at finding a suitable LZ for both chalks AND it needed to be farther away which usually meant the infil time was ~3km longer.  The recommendation after using them was that they not be rotated back because they weren't a suitable replacement for MH-47's, so in the event of needing additional lift we'd have a regular Helo Regiment do the work instead. 

• Like 2

MV-22 seems like a really good idea on paper, and for a specific role (really fast, long distance insertion of troops) it's probably great.

My experience with it is that it requires an LZ 2-3.5x the size of an MH-47, and takes much longer on approach (can't accurately describe the time, but watching from the ramp, the 30s call is made when it's already trying to flare whereas the MH-47 makes that call at full speed) which means it can't land on the X (rarely a sizeable LZ for both chalks, dangerous to land that slowly at the X) and if you offset, it's much louder than an MH-47 so you're still looking at finding a suitable LZ for both chalks AND it needed to be farther away which usually meant the infil time was ~3km longer.  The recommendation after using them was that they not be rotated back because they weren't a suitable replacement for MH-47's, so in the event of needing additional lift we'd have a regular Helo Regiment do the work instead. 

Valid points. And of course there's the price tag and the spotty safety record. It'll be interesting to see if the Army's Bell V-280 will iron out the problems the V-22 has. 

• Like 1

My platoon was ground casevac for a V-22 that nose dived and hit the deck from about 140-150 feet up.

I will never ride in one ever unless I am absolutely forced to.  I've passed up rides in those things multiple times.

Plus I just don't like the damn thing.

• Like 4

Yeah, I've only been in the 22 once, never again if I can help it...

Great idea on paper, and in Arma though :) I've also heard fun stories about growlers' back wheels wanting to steer at 30mph, so there's that.

ThrashInc, you don't like the stallion either? Never been in one so I can't really comment on em

I don't know what it as about American Military procurement, but anytime anyone adopts anything that wasn't invented in the mid 20th century, someone who has no actual experience with it feels the need to declare it a piece of crap.

... BlacktailDefense

*shudders*

I would guess its the MRZRS. It won a SOCOM Contract last year, and as thoose guys in the picture are SOCOM Guys... not really a wild guess isn't it?

I actually quite enjoyed flying in them, they fly relatively calm and looking down from them you feel much safer because of the higher flying speed, far superior to CH-53G. 

Add that to that it is according Commandant of the Marine Corps General James Amos "the safest airplane, or close to the safest airplane" i think it is fine.

I can of course only speak as a guest for multiple Times in it as it was just used on a joint excercise and it was used as main airlift.

I just wish the german army would replace their 53s with them and replace their UH-1 with UH60M instead of NH90.

• Like 1

... BlacktailDefense

*shudders*

The M113 Gavin is the tank of the future dontchaknow?

Haters gonna hate....Operators gonna operate.

20160929201014_1.jpg

Right click and copy that image address if you're using Chrome for 4k.  Links suck for 4k on the forums for some reason.

• Like 13

Haters gonna hate....Operators gonna operate.

Nope, not that one. ;)

• Like 1

I, for one, am not hating on that at all as well. Nice job to whomever was putting in work on that.

• Like 2

So is that Polaris MRZR4, if that's what it is, going to be armed? IE machineguns on swing-arms and such?

So is that Polaris MRZR4, if that's what it is, going to be armed? IE machineguns on swing-arms and such?

Slick model for now so we can get it out to everyone.  FFV obviously but the idea of the 240B's and whatnot is being talked about.

• Like 1

Awesome. Well like I said, great work RHS team. And thanks again for the pics wilco. I'll also pat myself on the back 'cause I knew what it was gonna be, generally. :D

The whole nine yards, marsoc and oda/army sf setups as well as factory infantry setups.

• Like 6