Sounds amazing. Will this feature the distance sound shader as well? Also did I spot the new DD rail there?

The M240 sounds different now:

• Like 12

Love the new suppressed sounds! Perfect man-don't change a thing!

Lovely.

Will the M21, M70, M92 and each AK variant have their own slightly different sound or will they share the same sounds like they are now?

Lovely.

Will the M21, M70, M92 and each AK variant have their own slightly different sound or will they share the same sounds like they are now?

Currently there only is a difference in the 7.62 and 5.45 variant (so roughly 74 and M) because I've still got _shittons_ of work to do (alltogether around 70 sounds ...per weapon with almost all vehicle weapons undone).

Once the rough bit is finished, I might look into this. :)

@Bitesrad, sneaky haha!

• Like 4

Kinda wish I hadn't heard those weapon sounds now-makes it very hard to wait for them :D

• Like 1

Lax, love your work.  Some feedback that you can ignore as you see fit.

- It seems like center fire rifles/MGs need slightly more punch/bass.  I'm not saying they need to be louder, as I understand that can cause it's own issues.  But just more "oomph."  Not sure if YT compression is causing the issue.  Here's an example of where there's more punch, but YT/my iPhone is also "muting" some of the sound.  I offer this as an example of how even on YT, there's more base.

https://youtu.be/zoXCMGUcFCk

(I recorded this a couple of weeks ago on my iPhone, so not a great mic set up)

- It seems like the suppressed center fire rifles are too quiet when behind the gun.  I saw that the round still snaps (awesome sound, btw), but from behind the gun, it sounds like you're shooting a sub-sonic round.  I'm wondering if it's because there's no reverb from the snap when outside (in-game).  That may be beyond the scope of the game engine, but I'll defer to you on that.  If it is, maybe just a tad bit louder, or maybe more punch with what you have.  More "crack"?  It's hard to explain.

A M4 (or AK) with a full-sized can still has a pretty loud report, contrary to COD and like games.

Regardless of all that, thanks for continuing to make Arma great.

The 240 sounds pretty good, a little sharp though. Here's what an M240(H) sounds like from a couple hundred feet away. With 100% less helicopter noise. B)

This question is a bit unrelated to this thread, but can still apply to the mod. I have noticed that all of the US Army Helicopters have black blades, while all of the USMC Helicopters have silver blades. Why is this?

This question is a bit unrelated to this thread, but can still apply to the mod. I have noticed that all of the US Army Helicopters have black blades, while all of the USMC Helicopters have silver blades. Why is this?

Army blades are black so they blend in at least a little bit on the ground in the field, just like with the rest of the paintjob. Gotta be tactical. I think its dumb, but I'm not in charge.

The USMC, Navy and Airforce aircraft are painted gray to blend in with the sky better because they never park off of a flight-line or boat.

• Like 1

The detail is there with the sounds! Now if you add a tiny bit of lows (bass) you will be GOLDEN!  B)

unrelated: that boot flinch... did he get like no range time before deploying?  :rolleyes:

I am by no means a sound expert, and a lot of sound design and taste can be sort of pointed to preference. But I do feel like most of the weapons is lacking a bit on the low end, but again that's just my opinion and I'd be happy with the sounds how they are in that video. Always great work Laxx.

The lack of low end is a sound design compromise and a concious decision. The volume and frequency range I can move in in order to distinct different calibres and sound types is very small - If I were to make smallarms as punchy as in many other shooters, each weapon would surely sound brutal, but you could barely differenciate between a tank shooting and an M16 being fired due to the non-existing difference in the low frequency range.
I'm very happy with the overall mix now - You can always locate and differenciate each calibre and sound type. :)

• Like 10

Guys, I get a freeze if I select the HK416 d14.5. Arma just locks up, and I can't even open task manager or force close it. After about 1 minute the task manager opens, but i can't close arma because then "access is denied". WTF?!

logs:

http://pastebin.com/mhnD7LxG

http://pastebin.com/efSkLNRF

also, this is running with just rhs mod as well. i tried, here's the log with only rhs installed:

http://pastebin.com/aP12gDtj

in the end i get this:

9:36:40 File read error: D:\Igre\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@rhsusaf\addons\rhsusf_weapons2.pbo,17

this is my rhsusf_weapons2.pbo file

http://prntscr.com/belpt2

edit: i just ran wget again just in case. same crash.

Guys, I get a freeze if I select the HK416 d14.5. Arma just locks up, and I can't even open task manager or force close it. After about 1 minute the task manager opens, but i can't close arma because then "access is denied". WTF?!

logs:

http://pastebin.com/mhnD7LxG

http://pastebin.com/efSkLNRF

also, this is running with just rhs mod as well. i tried, here's the log with only rhs installed:

http://pastebin.com/aP12gDtj

in the end i get this:

9:36:40 File read error: D:\Igre\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\@rhsusaf\addons\rhsusf_weapons2.pbo,17

this is my rhsusf_weapons2.pbo file

http://prntscr.com/belpt2

edit: i just ran wget again just in case. same crash.

1. Delete that pbo and run wget again

2. Verify ur Steam local files for arma

3. Make sure the mod load order is AFRF, USAF, GREF

Very excited about those new sounds. While Im not particularly fond of the vanilla equipment (basically a copout instead of truly committing to future tech), the soundscape is amazing. Can't wait to see (or hear rather) that level of audio fidelity in RHS.

• Like 1

While Im not particularly fond of the vanilla equipment basically a copout instead of truly committing to future tech,

And features my favorite pet hate, modeling something off of the airsoft knock off.

For some reason, I can't access female faces in the Eden editor (the voice is fine). They work in arsenal and seem to work in profile selection. However, I'd like to make a (singleplayer, for the time being) mission with female characters. Is that possible to get them to work there?

Also, it'd be awesome if RHS had female variants of the uniforms. At least US ones and VDV (Russian regulations on women in combat vary, but I know that VDV does allow them). A female Russian voice would also be nice, though it'd probably be hard to come by.

Russian regulations on women in combat vary

No they don't. No women in combat roles.

but I know that VDV does allow them

Do they now? There was an single experiment in 2009 with several dozen women training for combat roles. It failed tremendously.

• Like 1

1. Delete that pbo and run wget again

2. Verify ur Steam local files for arma

3. Make sure the mod load order is AFRF, USAF, GREF

did step 1. now it works. thanks! :)

Another question: why do all HK416's have the same stats? Is this only for arsenal or do they actually have identical ballistics?

http://imgur.com/a/VaPKL

they have different initSpeed values based on their barrel length. AFAIK the arsenal gives only a very general overview of a weapon; it shouldn't be considered a reliable way to compare stats.

Performance related issue:

Howdy folks, I've been working on a modded version of a coop mission that I've been working on and re-writing for the past two years or so. The modded version I call Pushback and is basically fundamentally the same as the other version of the mission except all of the units, weaponry, and vehicles are changed over to the RHS Escalation ones. I've been trying to nail down a client-side performance problem that I've narrowed down to the use of those two Escalation mods plus RHPistolsPack. Basically, after a short while or gameplay, even just standing in place and watching ambient combat around me happen, the client FPS takes a major nose dive and ultimately lands at about 10-20fps. Having been chasing this for a while I've used some tools to look at things and I get the typical low GPU usage (in the 30% range whereas by comparison it would start out in the high 80's) along with lower CPU usage. It leads me to believe that there might be a problem model within the mod somewhere that's hanging client CPU perhaps on rendering but I am unsure. The version of Escalation the mission is using is 0.4.1. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thank you for any input you may have,

B

laxeman, for the love of god, go to a firing range.

To do what?

• Like 2