if you add simple descriptions for the editor to use RHS units it will be more clearer for its end users and it would be more user friendly in general. Not that I have huge problems with it but I for one only give constructive criticism to a modification I like a lot but I would appreciate (in my opinion) a more cleaner configuration like the one from EvroMalarkey which gives more a authentic armaverse feeling or Defunkt's option which leans to a more cleaner but realistic configuration with proper direction on what each section does without the need to dive into yet another wiki.

The problem is that with a configuration like EvroMalarkey's one in every section ( armor, man, air, etc. ) you'd have an insane amount of vehicles, and each of them with a considerably amount of variations, and each of the variations with a lot of different Russian Army branches configuration.

Which would be really unfriendly and confusing. While having them per branch, makes it easy to find everything and more logic.

Right now you just have to remember eight names.

I feel so aggressiveness from some peoples.

About russian optics, please, visit this site : http://russianoptics.net/default.html (not mine, no ad, just curiosity).

There is a lot of pics of last conflict where russian be part of. And there is a LOT of optic in use into VDV.

I'm sad about seeing "russian is all old stuff".... It's maybe part true. But ARMA is also a GAME. You won't see all US soldier with ACOG. Plz, stop the war between "US is full of new stuff and russia is poor and old stuff". I want to have fun with russian equipement. And if you won't know about something, stop being so harsh about it.

There is a lot of pics of last conflict where russian be part of. And there is a LOT of optic in use into VDV.

As we commented before the VDV only has a few battalions ( one per division ) which are equipped decently. While practically all US soldiers sent to conflict zones have scopes. Usually the US Army units are equipped with Aimpoint and Elcan for MGs, and the ACOGs only for certain positions. But it's also true that some units also have ACOG in all positions. So it's still realistic.

In real life the US spends way more money in the Armed Forces than Russia. Check the sources of this link.

We as a mod try to keep it realistic. But nothing prevents you from adding the scopes in the editor, or any kind of equipment mixture. You can even equip all the Russian soldiers with M4A1 if you fancy.

Edited by MistyRonin
orthography

You can even equip all the Russian soldiers with M4A1 if you fancy.

My OCD is acting up because of that comment, however true.

In regards to the mod, I love it. I do hope to see more american equipment, such as some custom(modeled) variants of the new M-ATV's that began service in 2010.

In regards to the mod, I love it. I do hope to see more american equipment, such as some custom(modeled) variants of the new M-ATV's that began service in 2010.

Think that this was just the first release of the mod for Arma 3 and the first one to include US equipment, while the Russian part of the mod has been worked for a big amount of years. And even this release was somehow rushed due to the MANW deadline.

What I try to mean is that don't worry, there's a lot planned concerning the US side inside the RHS' hat :)

don't worry, there's a lot planned concerning the US side inside the RHS' hat :)

Nice to hear however i also really like the Russian side they are really well don but it would be nice to see a Venom and other USMC equipment in there e.g. LAV-25; AAV 7A1; Harrier II; Super Stallion FTW :D; Osprey I gonna stop now :p

Kind regards

lhq ...

Concerning the factions I would like to explain the design choices that were made by me and some people that have led to the system we use now. Hopefully it will help you understand that its not just willy nilly out of the blue that we chose to do this.

When you make a pack as large as ours, you inevitably come to the point where you realize that you need to efficiently sort it to find things quicker. In Arma we have 3 tiers of hierarchy: faction, class and unit itself. The last one is already the most populated no matter the distribution.

We wanted to represent the different branches of the respective sides no matter what so it left three ways to sort:

1. One faction, basic arma classes and basically dump all of the units in there. This leads to absolutely enormous lists if units. Consider just a sample:

RUSSIA

Armor

- BMP-1 (MSV)

- BMP-1 (VDV)

- BMP-1 (TV)

- BMP-1 (VMF)

- BMP-1P (MSV)

- BMP-1P (VDV)

- BMP-1P (TV)

- BMP-1P (VMF)

- BMP-1D (MSV)

- BMP-1D (VDV)

- BMP-1D (TV)

- BMP-1D (VMF)

and so oooooon infinitely long. Just imagine if we would put ALL the IFVs and tanks and APCs of ALL factions in one list! It would result in 100s of vehicles in one list! Furthermore, piling on things behind the basic vehicle name brings more problems still: the names get too long to fin in the width of the dropdown box in the editor and you get unnecessary information when you hover your mouse over it: instead of BMP-1 you see BMP-1 (VMF/Camo/NoATGM) or whatever. Information which on the battlefield is useless. This method is the most insane one by far.

2. Second way would be to keep the one faction, keep the base classes but duplicate them for each blanch:

RUSSIA

APC (MSV)

APC (VDV)

APC (TV)

APC (VMF)

IFV (MSV)

IFV (VDV)

IFV (TV)

IFV (VMF)

BMP-1

this would lead to unnecessary duplication imho and the class list become big (in our case 5*number of classes at least) and you need to scroll to find what you need, although it inherently solves some issues of the first method.

3. Split into appropriate factions.

RUSSIA (VDV)

IFV

BMP-1

This is the way we have done it. First of all there aren't that many factions. We will never have enough factions that would require you to even scroll. The class and vehicle lists are kept to their absolute minimum and thats critical because it is here that you will spend most of the time. The idea is that also most of the time for consistency's sake a mission would usually only have one military branch in it. So you can safely pick one faction once and thats it, you don't need to worry about decals, uniforms etc. So in our minds (not all mind you, some RHS members agree with you) this was the most efficient way. And trust me once you get used to it you will see the simplicity, it just requires to do some very light reading to know what factions are which branches, some logic to get the right class and bam finding the right type of vehicle is super easy.

In real life the US spends way more money in the Armed Forces than Russia. Check the sources of this link.

We as a mod try to keep it realistic. But nothing prevents you from adding the scopes in the editor, or any kind of equipment mixture. You can even equip all the Russian soldiers with M4A1 if you fancy.

Thx for source! Good move ;-)

I will just want to say that not every soldier have new uber optic but they are available. And I like to see it into Russian too. But it's YOUR mod. You are the bosses and if u say something, I will deal with it :-) and I will

So it seems 1.36 broke Mi24 and I thought that BI didn't broke nothing this time.. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBqSI3Peuk

@Soul_Assassin completely understand your reasons and I guess people can used to it ;)

But when Rydygier made the config, I just couldn't helped my self and I had to do it my way to have my inner peace :D

Thanks for those precisions. I still have a question in my mind, Why using new classes (APC, IFV, truck, tank, helicopter, aircraft, car...) instead of using the vanilla ones (cars, armored, air)? Cause when you want to place down an empty vehicle you're forced to look threw 8 different classes. A bit of harmonization with vanilla could be appreciated. I mean, if each addon creates its own classes (talking about those "sub-classes"), it will quickly be a huge mess when looking for empty vehicles.

Thanks for those precisions. I still have a question in my mind, Why using new classes (APC, IFV, truck, tank, helicopter, aircraft, car...) instead of using the vanilla ones (cars, armored, air)? Cause when you want to place down an empty vehicle you're forced to look threw 8 different classes. A bit of harmonization with vanilla could be appreciated. I mean, if each addon creates its own classes (talking about those "sub-classes"), it will quickly be a huge mess when looking for empty vehicles.

As said before ( and explained outstandingly by Soul Assassin ) the main issue is the insane amount of vehicles, besides the point that this was only the first release for A3; if they were "harmonized" with the vanilla system it would be overwhelming for the players.

Besides our system it's pretty obvious, everyone knows what an APC, IFV, truck, tank, helicopter, aircraft and car are. I mean who would look for a BTR in helicopters? or an AH64 in APCs; in fact with our system you don't even need to know what's the specific name of a vehicle as you already have them classified by specific categories, unlike the vanilla one where you must memorize what is what.

And it's even cooler, because it separates RHS content from the vanilla one, if RHS has already an insane number of vehicles, imagine them mixed with the vanilla ones... That would be a real gigantic mess.

Edited by MistyRonin
orthography

One of the things I did with the vehicle classes in my patch thingy (that you might consider) is preserving the sub-types but naming them such that they appear adjacent to the standard vanilla classes, so;

Armored

Armour (APC)

Armour (IFV)

Armour (Tank)

Air

Air (Rotary Wing)

Air (Fixed Wing)

As said before ( and explained outstandingly by Soul Assassin ) the main issue is the insane amount of vehicles, besides the point that this was only the first release for A3; if they were "harmonized" with the vanilla system it would be overwhelming for the players.

Besides our system it's pretty obvious, everyone knows what an APC, IFV, truck, tank, helicopter, aircraft and car are. I mean who would look for a BTR in helicopters? or an AH64 in APCs; in fact with our system you don't even need to know what's the specific name of a vehicle as you already have them classified by specific categories, unlike the vanilla one where you must memorize what is what.

And it's even cooler, because it separates RHS content from the vanilla one, if RHS has already an insane number of vehicles, imagine them mixed with the vanilla ones... That would be a real gigantic mess.

You're right, it's probably a safe bet that no one will look for a BTR under helicopters.

On the other hand, someone might mistakenly look for a BTR under IFVs or for a BMD under APCs. The distinction probably isn't as clear to everyone as you might think.

So it seems 1.36 broke Mi24 and I thought that BI didn't broke nothing this time.. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBqSI3Peuk

@Soul_Assassin completely understand your reasons and I guess people can used to it ;)

But when Rydygier made the config, I just couldn't helped my self and I had to do it my way to have my inner peace :D

Yes,I found that too.Yeaterday I planned to make 3 mi-24 and 5 mi-8 fly to a town,but only the Mi-8s arrived and Mi-24 counldn't even start their engine.I was using 1.36 yesterday.

3. Split into appropriate factions.

RUSSIA (VDV)

IFV

BMP-1

This is the way we have done it. First of all there aren't that many factions. We will never have enough factions that would require you to even scroll. The class and vehicle lists are kept to their absolute minimum and thats critical because it is here that you will spend most of the time. The idea is that also most of the time for consistency's sake a mission would usually only have one military branch in it. So you can safely pick one faction once and thats it, you don't need to worry about decals, uniforms etc. So in our minds (not all mind you, some RHS members agree with you) this was the most efficient way. And trust me once you get used to it you will see the simplicity, it just requires to do some very light reading to know what factions are which branches, some logic to get the right class and bam finding the right type of vehicle is super easy.

I might be missing the point, but that's still a somewhat complicated layout, making it difficult to browse through content.

A possibly improved way could have been like this:

1. OPFOR

1. RUSSIA
      1. Artillery (TV)
      2. APC (VDV)
      3. APC (VMF)
      4. APC (MSV)
      5. ...
      6. Infantry (VDV)
      7. Infantry (MSV)
      8. Infantry (VVS - Grey)
      9. etc.

Would be easier to stay on top of things, in my opinion.

Might be something I'm missing though, no idea if sorting it this way would lead to any configuration related problems.

On the other hand I absolutely love the randomized numbers/nicknames on tanks and armored vehicles (widowmaker etc. on the M1A2).

Is it by any means possible to return this number/name? Would be amazing to have it set as a variable to the vehicle so it can be used in scripts.

Other than that I'm having a blast with this, keep up the good work!

Cheers

It's happening when we think we are ready to release it.

Pretty sure you hit the nail on the head there Basti :)

Do you plan to add static wepaons, like tows, aa guns etc. to mod?

Maybe you could include Reyhard static weapons in your mod, or via some optional pbo, like with aggresors? (hope you will find some time) Love your mod, can't wait to see more.

It's happening when we think we are ready to release it.

Just saying... I think RHS would make a great christmas present.

Do you plan to add static wepaons, like tows, aa guns etc. to mod?

Maybe you could include Reyhard static weapons in your mod, or via some optional pbo, like with aggresors? (hope you will find some time) Love your mod, can't wait to see more.

Maybe, maybe not... :P

Just saying... I think RHS would make a great christmas present.

Only if you are a good boy you will recieve a christmas present. You know the rules.

;)

Only if you are a good boy you will recieve a christmas present. You know the rules.

;)

Nah, wasn't that the rule for Santa? But talking about it, I haven't received a Santa present either - oh wait, what's that? New CSE version? With Advanced Ballistics? And fastroping? Guess I've been a good boy - looking forward to christmas :D.

Edited by TheConen

Btw, all weapons got new sounds made from scratch :cool:

RHS....Really He's Santa...OMG THESE GUYS ARE SANTA.

On topic, really excited for those new weapon sounds. Will do much better when the NATO troops show up beside my US troops in my Rise of CSAT Campaign.