I have another question/bug interogation : the "white" thermal into BMD-2(?) are bright. REALLY bright. Is it normal ?

Which BMD-2? The only BMD-2 variant with thermal sight is BMD-2M, other BMD-2's have only NV, so in daylight, they won't work properly and will blind you.

I repeat, most Russian vehicles do not have thermal sights, just like in real life, for night conditions they have passive/active IR night vision, which will not work during day conditions.

I just tested all BMD variants with thermal sights, everything works ok, as intended.

Edited by Damian90

Hey RHS guys.

I encountered an issue with M4.Firing at burst fire i m getting 4 bullets sound feedback instead of 3.

Bullets are counted normally tho (-3)

Can't say for sure if this happening in other weapons also.You can check it/or wait my feedback again :)

*Edited*

Scratch that.It must been another issue.Everything is ok

Edited by GiorgyGR

Any plans for the SMAW? I've one A3 ready if you like!

Did you get the Mk 217 Spotting Rifle Working on it?

AFAIK SMAW's are modernized with spotting rifle removed and replaced with a sight containing a laser range finder with ballistic calculator.

Just an idea.

May the NV scopes on rifle be used in daylight ? With optic cover. NV scopes aren't used into arma (remember arma 2) because of NVG compatibility and impossibility to shut off NV scopes. RHS kill the NVG compatibility for lot of scopes (EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!).

I have another question/bug interogation : the "white" thermal into BMD-2(?) are bright. REALLY bright. Is it normal ?

Last thing : can't wait for the next step :) Love russian materials.

I'm sure NODs will make it in. We have them in real life, so why not? I don't think they're taking things out for balance, they said this a while back.

Is there going to be a rebel/resistance faction to replace the AAF? If yes, I hope we can see some classic guns like MP-44 and G3/FAL. Also, can we have a list of weapons and vehicles that we will see when the series is compete?

Which BMD-2? The only BMD-2 variant with thermal sight is BMD-2M, other BMD-2's have only NV, so in daylight, they won't work properly and will blind you.

My bad. It was BMD-2M. I don't want therm, NV or "zeus optic" into each vehicule. I understand and aprove your work to "match" the reality. You do a great job. More than that. I the only think I can do is thanking you.

Just the "white" therm into BMD-2M burn my eyes and I just want to know if others peoples seen it too :)

By the way : +1 for another rebel faction and G3

Edited by Adeubal
G3 idea

can you guys describe how you did armor calculations and did you address any anti-tank weapons with this mod vs. those armor calculations? Damian90 posted in the Real Armor Mod thread, I thought it more appropriate to ask here though.

It would be great if collaboration can be done to get ARMA3 into a better situation for armored warfare simulation (fidelity of SBPPE not needed). There are a number of different people working on this stuff it seems: Burnes Armories Tanks and Deployment Vehicles, RHS Escalation, Real Armor Mod, AiA with Olds, BWM, something called MANW that Olds is also working on.

I know mod teams are mod teams, but if some amount of collaboration could be done ala CUP then maybe duplicate work could be avoided and things could get released faster and with a modicum of standardization.

@hlfritz - take a look here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?184842-RHS-Escalation-%28AFRF-and-USAF%29-Release-0-3-0&p=2807973#post2807973

@subroc - I will try to add some hidden selections, as I'm planing to make some ins retex too, but not all vehicles are able to use that technic as we use proxies on models (poly limit sucks) :(

Good news reyhard.

Is there anyway to make RHS uniforms compatible with some type of hiddenselection or anything, or is that just not a possiblity?

can you guys describe how you did armor calculations and did you address any anti-tank weapons with this mod vs. those armor calculations? Damian90 posted in the Real Armor Mod thread, I thought it more appropriate to ask here though.

It would be great if collaboration can be done to get ARMA3 into a better situation for armored warfare simulation (fidelity of SBPPE not needed). There are a number of different people working on this stuff it seems: Burnes Armories Tanks and Deployment Vehicles, RHS Escalation, Real Armor Mod, AiA with Olds, BWM, something called MANW that Olds is also working on.

I know mod teams are mod teams, but if some amount of collaboration could be done ala CUP then maybe duplicate work could be avoided and things could get released faster and with a modicum of standardization.

It's simple, first you need to make a research about the real armor each specific vehicle uses, the better is research the closer to reality calculations will be, however as we know, armor of modern tanks is classified stuff, so not allways you can make proper calculations knowing the exact design of specific armor array. But of course we can make some scientific based assumptions.

For example there are declassified documents about R&D program codenamed "Burlington" that lead to development of several armor arrays used in most modern NATO tanks like M1 Abrams, and we know that from these designs, a more modern armor arrays evolved, we also have drawings and descriptions of these prototype armors so we can assume that final versions put in to mass production and service in 80's were based on similiar principles.

Such armor arrays are made as multiple layers of diferent materials, mostly a high hardness steel plates with air gaps between, but we also known that their working mechanism described in documents, suggest that these steel layers actually were also layered and have a design similiar to NERA or NxRA armor. So array will look like this Xmm HHS + Xmm air gap + Xmm HHS + Xmm rubber + Xmm HHS + Xmm air gap + Xmm HHS and so on. This is of course a simplified model.

Of course we also need to know at least estimated thickness of the whole armor array, and then adjust number of layers and their thickness to match thickness of the complete armor array. We can also change materials from each layer is made, we can adjust their thickness (but thickness of all layers must allways match thickness of completed armor array!).

If the armor model is completed, we then need to calculate thickness efficency of each material, for short we call it TE. Each material have different TE for example a RHA (Rolled Homogeneus Armor) have a TE = 1 vs KE (Kinetic Energy - like APFSDS ammo) and 1 vs CE (Chemical Energy - High Explosive Anti Tank ammo or HEAT), but HHS (High Hardness Steel) armor have a TE = 1,3 vs KE and 1,3 vs CE.

So now let's move to equation, if we have a 50mm armor plate made from HHS, then we need to multiply it by it's TE, so 50 x 1,3 = 65mm of RHA equivalent. Ok for example let's take our simplified array above.

50mm HHS (65mm vs KE/CE + 5mm air gap (TE = 0 vs KE and 0,26mm vs CE so it is 1,3mm vs CE) + 50mm HHS (65mm vs KE/CE) + 5mm rubber (TE unknown) + 50mm HHS (65mm vs KE/CE) + 5mm air gap (1,3mm vs DE) + 60mm HHS (78mm vs KE/CE) = 273mm vs KE/275mm vs CE. And so we have protection, of such example of armor array.

Of course armor array models can be more complex, more different materials can be added, and these different materials will have a different TE values against KE and CE threats.

However make no mistake, this is no way a 100% proper and sure method of making calculations for vehicles armor protection, there are more complex methods, however I am not smart enough to make them, too much very complex math, sorry. ;)

And of course as I said above, the real research about real armor arrays is nececary for calculations, otherwise you can end up with complete fantasy.

Believe me I had incredible problems creating armor models alone, it is very difficult to have proper materials proportions and their thickness that can be put in a box that have dimensions (mainly thickness) same as the real armor array, and hey, we could allways also start to calculate for example armor array density, and this is a start to these very complex armor calculations, which I won't do.

I also needed to make some compromises and back up with armor estimations made by others, smarter than me. ;)

So it is not that easy, and the deeper you dig, the more complex it becomes and there are no simple and strict answers to the question - what is the real or close to real, protection of each specific vehicle. I know that this might not be good enough answer for many people, but I try to keep it as much scientific as possible so it won't go in to that undesirable direction of pure fantasy or fanboyism (my tanks is better than yours, because it more my than yours).

I hope you get the point.

Oh and of course you can also calculate armor angle if nececary, for this I use a very simple and convienient tool called armor calculator, which you can find here -> http://www.panzerworld.com/relative-armor-calculator

Because a small graphic shows you armor angle, you can relatively well adjust armor angle to the real thing, and you get line of sight thickness of plate that have specific thickness.

Edited by Damian90

Hey Damian, while your at it posting the essays.. :p

Is there anyway to make RHS uniforms compatible with some type of hiddenselection or anything, or is that just not a possiblity?

Thanks. :)

This question should not be asked to me, I am not a guy reponsible for making models and making them work, but for scientific research and that kind of stuff. ;)

Ok, thank you for your response.

Good luck with all that armor stuff.

Damian,

thx. I am well aware of how complicated it can get (or maybe I am NOT!). that is probably why it is easier to do WW2 stuff! just armor thickness and material 'proxy' (if you will, there are some we may never know the material composition in our lifetimes) is complicated enough. then add angle and it is even worse.

so did you all use hit points? or did you do penetration ala RAM?

and did you do anything with AT weapons? CE or KE? man-pack and mounted?

EDIT: NM - I went to the link that Reyhard posted.

Edited by hlfritz

It's simple, first you need to make a research about the real armor each specific vehicle uses, the better is research the closer to reality calculations will be, however as we know, armor of modern tanks is classified stuff, so not allways you can make proper calculations knowing the exact design of specific armor array. But of course we can make some scientific based assumptions.

For example there are declassified documents about R&D program codenamed "Burlington" that lead to development of several armor arrays used in most modern NATO tanks like M1 Abrams, and we know that from these designs, a more modern armor arrays evolved, we also have drawings and descriptions of these prototype armors so we can assume that final versions put in to mass production and service in 80's were based on similiar principles.

Such armor arrays are made as multiple layers of diferent materials, mostly a high hardness steel plates with air gaps between, but we also known that their working mechanism described in documents, suggest that these steel layers actually were also layered and have a design similiar to NERA or NxRA armor. So array will look like this Xmm HHS + Xmm air gap + Xmm HHS + Xmm rubber + Xmm HHS + Xmm air gap + Xmm HHS and so on. This is of course a simplified model.

Of course we also need to know at least estimated thickness of the whole armor array, and then adjust number of layers and their thickness to match thickness of the complete armor array. We can also change materials from each layer is made, we can adjust their thickness (but thickness of all layers must allways match thickness of completed armor array!).

If the armor model is completed, we then need to calculate thickness efficency of each material, for short we call it TE. Each material have different TE for example a RHA (Rolled Homogeneus Armor) have a TE = 1 vs KE (Kinetic Energy - like APFSDS ammo) and 1 vs CE (Chemical Energy - High Explosive Anti Tank ammo or HEAT), but HHS (High Hardness Steel) armor have a TE = 1,3 vs KE and 1,3 vs CE.

So now let's move to equation, if we have a 50mm armor plate made from HHS, then we need to multiply it by it's TE, so 50 x 1,3 = 65mm of RHA equivalent. Ok for example let's take our simplified array above.

50mm HHS (65mm vs KE/CE + 5mm air gap (TE = 0 vs KE and 0,26mm vs CE so it is 1,3mm vs CE) + 50mm HHS (65mm vs KE/CE) + 5mm rubber (TE unknown) + 50mm HHS (65mm vs KE/CE) + 5mm air gap (1,3mm vs DE) + 60mm HHS (78mm vs KE/CE) = 273mm vs KE/275mm vs CE. And so we have protection, of such example of armor array.

Of course armor array models can be more complex, more different materials can be added, and these different materials will have a different TE values against KE and CE threats.

However make no mistake, this is no way a 100% proper and sure method of making calculations for vehicles armor protection, there are more complex methods, however I am not smart enough to make them, too much very complex math, sorry. ;)

And of course as I said above, the real research about real armor arrays is nececary for calculations, otherwise you can end up with complete fantasy.

Believe me I had incredible problems creating armor models alone, it is very difficult to have proper materials proportions and their thickness that can be put in a box that have dimensions (mainly thickness) same as the real armor array, and hey, we could allways also start to calculate for example armor array density, and this is a start to these very complex armor calculations, which I won't do.

I also needed to make some compromises and back up with armor estimations made by others, smarter than me. ;)

So it is not that easy, and the deeper you dig, the more complex it becomes and there are no simple and strict answers to the question - what is the real or close to real, protection of each specific vehicle. I know that this might not be good enough answer for many people, but I try to keep it as much scientific as possible so it won't go in to that undesirable direction of pure fantasy or fanboyism (my tanks is better than yours, because it more my than yours).

I hope you get the point.

Oh and of course you can also calculate armor angle if nececary, for this I use a very simple and convienient tool called armor calculator, which you can find here -> http://www.panzerworld.com/relative-armor-calculator

Because a small graphic shows you armor angle, you can relatively well adjust armor angle to the real thing, and you get line of sight thickness of plate that have specific thickness.

From all this I managed to figure out that if I get the air gap it's the best chance of success! Simples!

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Just an FYI, I have decided to focus on RHS Russians as the antagonist for a 12 mission MP campaign called Conflict Ukraine. Will be a Ghost Recon in A3 focus.

Sorry just one more thing to add -

Brilliant work mod team - the attention to detail on all of the units, objects, vehicles, including inventory is just incredible. I'm glad I downloaded this mod - a comprehensive expansion indeed.

Just an FYI, I have decided to focus on RHS Russians as the antagonist for a 12 mission MP campaign called Conflict Ukraine. Will be a Ghost Recon in A3 focus.

If this comes to fruitition. This will be sick.

If this comes to fruitition. This will be sick.

Trailer in progress.

4 missions in beta covering three islands incl. one winter map.

Massi's Special Forces - Delta Ghosts and Alpine Units.

And me, creator of Ghost Recon missions since 2004. :p

And of course this Russian beast!

Edited by Lightspeed_aust

I am having some difficulty getting RHS to work with alive. I set up the alive modules for a military placement and then try to put in rhs_faction_msv in the force faction for the military placement. Then for the opcom I put the same for override factions. When I launch I get an error that says "ALIVE MP warning....no usable groups to be found the faction may be faulty." I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong? This works for all other mods? Am I spelling something wrong? Did the faction names change from what is posted on the ALIVE wikki??

This mod is off the charts in awesome and I really want to get it to work with alive. help!!!!

EDIT---updating alive!! This solved my prob

Edited by oneisdown

First off: really enjoying the mod! The group I play with uses it constantly. Second of all: I had a quick question regarding decals.

I've been fooling around with decal and texture scripts for RHS vehicles in the editor, and wanted to know if there was a way to remove the "ВВС РОССИИ" text off the tail of a Russian helicopter. The "RHSDecalsOff = true;" script doesn't seem to get rid of it, and I can't seem to find any other information in the config files or the wiki or anywhere about that particular decal and its placement. The Mi-8 appears to have 5 hiddenselection options, and that lettering is affected by none of them. I've actually accidentally made the helicopter's textures invisible once or twice due to typos in the init field of a unit, and the lettering will STILL be on the side of the invisible chopper!

The only reason I ask is because I found the CDF and Chedaki and civil Mi-8 textures in the mod files, and was fooling around with putting them on the RHS MI-8s using setObjectTexture. And it's a little immersion breaking when they have the Russian air force lettering on the side.

Any guidance on this?