Sign in to follow this  
gianni001

Simulation module - Question, please help!

Hi Guys, I have searched and searched and I just cannot find what I am after with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. People mention there is a simulation module, I cannot find it? Does it exist in the editor under the modules selection, if so, where I must be blind but I couldnt find it?

2. I understand that it will basically hide units that are not within range effectively helping with FPS on large scale missions. If this is correct, do those units still follow given waypoints and function as if they normally would, but just hidden? So essentially can they be setup in the editor as normal functioning units that react to triggers and scripts etc but be invisable when outside of the simulation range?

Any help as greatly appreciated... Thanks !

simulation module is in game, but it had'nt worked for the longest time. i have no idea if it works yet. but the point of the simulation manager was to disable ai simulation on selected units so they wouldnt move or think saving processing power. the way arma3 is currently is it will only draw in objects based on your viewdistance setting in mission. if you're having fps issues its usually because of only a few things, unoptimized coding on your part, to many ai, long viewdistance settings, or any combination of those. and arma 3 cant really handle largescale battles well. the missions that do simulate it have a LOT of very creative codeing to give that "EFFECT" but it's not like they placed 300 units on the map all at 1 time. hope this answers some of your questions friend.

simulation module is in game, but it had'nt worked for the longest time. i have no idea if it works yet. but the point of the simulation manager was to disable ai simulation on selected units so they wouldnt move or think saving processing power. the way arma3 is currently is it will only draw in objects based on your viewdistance setting in mission. if you're having fps issues its usually because of only a few things, unoptimized coding on your part, to many ai, long viewdistance settings, or any combination of those. and arma 3 cant really handle largescale battles well. the missions that do simulate it have a LOT of very creative codeing to give that "EFFECT" but it's not like they placed 300 units on the map all at 1 time. hope this answers some of your questions friend.

Thanks, what is the module called and where is it found? Is it a game logic module or something? Or is a something in the units init line?

My mission is teetering with FPS at the moment, its quite extensive. Running a view distance of 1500 meters is fine, is there any way to force this on players? (its a single player mission)

1. People mention there is a simulation module, I cannot find it? Does it exist in the editor under the modules selection, if so, where I must be blind but I couldnt find it?

You will find it under Modules -> Object Modifiers -> at the bottom of the list

For selected units use this:

this enableSimulation false; //Replace this with units name, unless its in unit's init

Thanks guys, so I found it and had an experiment. Its seemingly a very good module.. things I found -

It works totally fine, which is odd because nothing is ever this easy.. simply place the module and any object outside of the set distance is invisible. I noticed a 30fps increase from using the module in my very large mission, which is wonderfull.

One thing that concerned me was that I have alot of units set in the distance that fire off triggers and do wierd and wonderfull things, initially I was worried these units would not function because they are outside simulation and I was correct BUT the simulation module will IGNORE any object that has a name or anything in their init line.. which is bloody handy.. so if you want a unit or object ignored by the simulation manager just name it...

I may have missed something glaringly obvious but this module is a godsend...

Thanks!