No worries mate, was a tad hasty response on my end, I've always added Rvg items via addmagazine "class" blah, blah, blah...

But I know what you're talking about, it is a bit weird that Arsenal displays RVG items in the magazine section, but the editor doesn't have em'

From my experience I've always added items with an item external class reference, so all items can be found under the binoculars section. Not sure on the magazine types, Weird...

I guess what I was looking to achieve was a quick way to create a Ravage stash from within the editor, so for my current purposes I'm using the addMagazineCargo command.....

Spoiler

tAWp4x8.pngGo8Vt1N.png

There's also addMagazineCargoGlobal for MP. :rthumb:

• Like 2

Hey @haleks, if you are still working towards that legacy patch, you should look into possibly changing up the animations for certain actions, I've been testing a lot of hold actions, etc... while working on my re-write and I stumbled upon what I think may just be another Arma bug.

I've always been one to use medic animations for certain actions especially "AinvPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon_medic4" which almost simulates a "dig like" animation. 

While testing respawns for MP compatibility however, I stumbled upon an issue where frames bounce from 100 all the way down to 15 - 25 while commencing an action with any of the medic animations. However, this only seems to happen when the player doesn't have a primary weapon, or any weapon at all. 

At first glance I thought it was because the way my inventory handle is setup, but then I browsed over RVG's handle and they're pretty similar, so then I tested and tested and finally realized whenever you don't have a weapon equipped when you do an action with medic animations then frames crash - the frame drop is a quick one lasts for maybe 2 seconds or so, but the choppy-ness is VERYYYY notice-able and some may wonder what is happening, I tested repairing a vehicle without a weapon and same frame crash, even removed my inventory handle and used RVG's just in case it had something to do with that but same bug happened.

May be something to look into, may even be my mod since I have some separate .pbo files added and they run in the background, just a heads up!

On 3/15/2023 at 7:25 AM, EO said:

The tent is only shown as an example, plus Ravage tents are already configured to have an inventory, I created the configs for it. :f:

The request was aimed at @haleks as a possible QoL improvement as part of his legacy update. :icon_biggrin:

I will look into it, but iirc, magazines won't show up in the editor if they aren't linked to a weapon or an object (I guess "standalone" mags aren't supposed to exist from the engine point of vue).

@Nemanjic if we're talking about the same issue, do you happen to have a link to the discussion?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

Hey @haleks, if you are still working towards that legacy patch, you should look into possibly changing up the animations for certain actions, I've been testing a lot of hold actions, etc... while working on my re-write and I stumbled upon what I think may just be another Arma bug.

I've always been one to use medic animations for certain actions especially "AinvPknlMstpSnonWnonDnon_medic4" which almost simulates a "dig like" animation. 

While testing respawns for MP compatibility however, I stumbled upon an issue where frames bounce from 100 all the way down to 15 - 25 while commencing an action with any of the medic animations. However, this only seems to happen when the player doesn't have a primary weapon, or any weapon at all. 

At first glance I thought it was because the way my inventory handle is setup, but then I browsed over RVG's handle and they're pretty similar, so then I tested and tested and finally realized whenever you don't have a weapon equipped when you do an action with medic animations then frames crash - the frame drop is a quick one lasts for maybe 2 seconds or so, but the choppy-ness is VERYYYY notice-able and some may wonder what is happening, I tested repairing a vehicle without a weapon and same frame crash, even removed my inventory handle and used RVG's just in case it had something to do with that but same bug happened.

May be something to look into, may even be my mod since I have some separate .pbo files added and they run in the background, just a heads up!

Thanks for reporting buddy!

This was tested locally in editor?

10 minutes ago, haleks said:

This was tested locally in editor?

Yes, in the editor playing in "Multiplayer" environment

I'm wondering if it's something to do with a check for a model asset, since if you do the action with a primary it spawns the weapon on the ground in front of the player... 

Cheers mate 

4 hours ago, haleks said:

I will look into it, but iirc, magazines won't show up in the editor if they aren't linked to a weapon or an object (I guess "standalone" mags aren't supposed to exist from the engine point of vue).

Make's perfect sense. ^^

No worries man, the addMagazineCargo command does a great job of utilizing Ravage items from within the Editor. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, haleks said:

if we're talking about the same issue, do you happen to have a link to the discussion?

I think I missed the point here. Though he was looking to add differently named muniton to tent inventory but not via classname. Just forget 😉 🕳️

Hey @haleks

For hand placed zombies, is there a way to control their visual and audio detection independent from the Ambient Zombies module settings?

I have my zombies spawned by the module configured to be fairly docile but I'd like my hand placed zombies to have more of an "edge".

My hand placed zombies are already running the code you shared a while back that "tethers" zombies within a certain radius.  

:icon_biggrin:

18 hours ago, EO said:

Hey @haleks

For hand placed zombies, is there a way to control their visual and audio detection independent from the Ambient Zombies module settings?

I have my zombies spawned by the module configured to be fairly docile but I'd like my hand placed zombies to have more of an "edge".

My hand placed zombies are already running the code you shared a while back that "tethers" zombies within a certain radius.  

:icon_biggrin:

That's impossible right now - they're using yet another global variable for that.

However, I just made a little change in the code that will make it easy to override the visual detection range per zed with the legacy update : you'll just need to set a variable on them (this setVariable ["z_visual_coef", 10]), in the absence of an attached variable, zeds will use the global missionNameSpace one. That will work for visual detection, but audio is trickier to tweak, since the code is attached, not to zombies, but to regular units... One direct consequence being, if a mission maker decides to have a zombie with huge audio range, it may have a big impact on related functions performances. I will have to carefully consider if it's worth it, since the number of gunshots can go high pretty quickly in any environment.

• Like 1

All good man, and thanks for the details.

The ability to tweak their visual detection would be a great addition, regarding audio, I still prefer to have my zombies almost deaf as I still find their reaction to gunshots is to sometimes revert to that “conga” style path finding especially around road networks which is sometimes a little immersion breaking.

Thanks again for the insights, they’re always invaluable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, EO said:

[...] regarding audio, I still prefer to have my zombies almost deaf as I still find their reaction to gunshots is to sometimes revert to that “conga” style path finding especially around road networks which is sometimes a little immersion breaking.

That's an interesting input - there is indeed a difference in their pathfinding between their "acquired visual target" and "heard a gunshot" states. In the former state, their pathfinding is regularly updated as long as they have visual contact; in the latter, it's generated only once per gunshot as long as zeds don't have a visual target...

I reckon it's a good lead to eliminate the last "conga lines" - I'll certainly look at polishing the gunshot reaction part for the update. 😉 

• Like 1

Crazy to think we're talking about a legacy update for Ravage, what a ride it's been...

I won't be alone in saying the last 8 years have seen and are still seeing some tumultuous events in all our lives, I personally have endured my fair share of grief, lost some close family, both human and canine, but the one constant in all that time has been Ravage and the cool community it has created. It's been, for me, a fantastic outlet to get away from life's hardships if only for a little while, learned some cool stuff along the way and formed some solid virtual friendships.

So talking about a legacy update makes me feel a little sad but hugely proud of everything Ravage has given to me and I'm sure all my fellow Ravagers.

• Like 5

I have some questions regarding the furniture spawn script. I have done my best at due diligence by searching through this thread, but couldn't find the answers, so here goes. 

1. Are we allowed to un-PBO the Ravage files in order to customize the furniture compositions?  I understand that this is typically frowned upon, but this would be with the implicit understanding that it would be strictly for personal use, and never be uploaded or hosted anywhere. 

2. If yes, which file(s) would be relevant that I would need to look at in order to grasp how it works? 

Thank you in advance for any guidance or advice you can provide.

Two questions.

1. Why does AI (within and outside player squad) have to wait until zombie is shot or it hits a "living" entity to engage them? If zeds are just running around, AI will observe them and change body direction but will not shoot unless they get hit, another AI/player gets hit or player kills a zombie.

2. Zombies seem to spawn only near the "main" road but ignore the smaller paths as shown on the screenshot. Since the map (Kholm) I'm making a scenario on has most of its paths made of these "brown" road types I'd like zeds to spawn there too in the same numbers. Can I do that without making a patch mod? 

f0Hdw71.png

1 hour ago, honger said:

2. Zombies seem to spawn only near the "main" road but ignore the smaller paths as shown on the screenshot. Since the map (Kholm) I'm making a scenario on has most of its paths made of these "brown" road types I'd like zeds to spawn there too in the same numbers. Can I do that without making a patch mod? 

I'm aware Kholm has little to no structures but placing down some structures near the "brown" roads will generate a place for zombies to dynamically spawn around. 

Of course this may spoil the aesthetic of a structureless map.

• Like 1

@hongerTo expand on what EO suggested :
The spawn system looks for any "static" structure to generate spawn positions; that means that fences and street lights along main roads will tend to monopolize the potential spawns outside of urban areas.

Ravage does have a backup method to spawn zeds in the absence of static structures, but since that's a rather generic reference, it doesn't even kick in most of the time...

The spawn module does allow you to blacklist specific structures though, that could improve things in your situation.

My Remnant mod has a more advanced and modular system, but I don't see any easy way to port it to Ravage without potentially breaking custom scenarios. 😕

• Like 1

Are lootable zombies a thing for this mod yet?

On 3/20/2023 at 6:56 PM, EO said:

On 3/21/2023 at 2:04 PM, haleks said:

That's impossible right now - they're using yet another global variable for that...

Hey man, following on from our conversation about running audio/visual detection independently from the module settings, is it correct to assume Damage Output/Damage Multiplier use a similar global variable? 

15 hours ago, EO said:

Hey man, following on from our conversation about running audio/visual detection independently from the module settings, is it correct to assume Damage Output/Damage Multiplier use a similar global variable? 

Correct.

Good thing you're asking mate - I realize I can easily add the same workaround as the visual detection tweak to both the damage output and the damage EH.

The "legacy" update isn't quite ready, but I reckon I'll try to push a tiny patch around next week-end with a few improvements I've made so far. 😉 

• Like 1

Snip :face_palm:

Edited by EO
I am an old fool.

I would like to create delayed hordes as for my mission I was planning a bunch of tasks requiring player to eliminate zombie herds in certain areas. I tried freezing the module but I guess it requires something from init, as it won't fire after enabling simulation. Spawning it with createUnit works, however i cannot tweak its settings. Moving the module after mission start does not move the horde spawn position so I cannot keep them outside of the map border either. I can place zombies as civilians but the performance impact is noticable, especially when not grouped into one herd

So unless I could somehow apply zed AI to manually created agents I'd love to know if there is any workaround for the module.

@honger

Maybe forget about the horde module and instead spawn zeds via triggers?

haleks was kind enough to share some code mission specific for my scenario but I've slightly modified it to suit more general needs....

thisTrigger spawn { 
 if (!alive player) exitWith {}; 
 for "_i" from 1 to 70 do { 
  _zed = createAgent [selectRandom ["zombie_walker","zombie_bolter"], getpos _this, [], 30, "NONE"]; 
  _zed setPosATL [getPosATL _zed # 0, getPosATL _zed # 1, 0.2]; 
  _zed setDir random 359; 
  _zed setVariable ["_zPersistent", true]; 
  }; 
}

Adding this to the trigger Activation field will spawn 70 zeds within a 30m radius when player enters the trigger zone, their behaviour will be default but you can edit their settings by placing down an Ambient Zombies module. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers, I think it's sufficient, thank you. I'll try looking into the zombie settings further because while I expect the randomized zombies to wander around, I'd rather have these herds stand where they are.