Quick question to my fellow mission makers using custom persistence systems in MP : how easy is it to exclude objects from them?

Reason I'm asking this, following some of the stuff I had to work around with the new showcase for Remnant, I'm experimenting with a procedural system for static objects spawning. Right now I can see 2 neat applications for this :

- It greatly reduces the amount of data to keep in memory, as there's no need anymore to store positions, directions, object types etc in variables. 

- In MP that's a huge amount of objects that don't need to be saved. For instance, the same wreck will always spawn at a given position, with a given orientation at each server restart.

The whole system will be controlled by a "master seed" set in the module : you can set a number to obtain a persistent configuration (useful in MP), or set it to be randomised at each mission start (good for random SP experience). It will also offer the same level of customisation compared to the current modules, if not more. There're other applications on "smaller" scales too, like generation of persistent clutter on roads - all kind of things that would massively increase memory usage or data volume.

Any thoughts from server owners?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, haleks said:

how easy is it to exclude objects from them?

Very easy depending upon the system you utilize. If you use GRAD they actually have a blacklisting system inside of the description.ext file so you simply just plop the object within the [];

Also, a cool thing about GRAD persistency is you can make it save spawned in objects “scripted stuff” or you can make it save all objects already placed within the editor. I prefer the ladder due to less of a hassle.

I’d definitely dip into GRAD if you’re curious on how they have their system setup mate 🙂

also all of the persistent items are loaded up on mission start much like playernamespace saves as well. 

https://github.com/gruppe-adler/grad-persistence/wiki/saving-objects

EDIT: I should also note to other MP mission makers as well, I have been running my dedicated server for almost 4 months or so now and I still have vehicles saved from 2 months ago in the SAME exact position where they were left, with the same amount of fuel, same inventories, etc… etc… This is after VERY many server restarts and even reboots, as well as mission updates. 

GRAD automatically loads everything even after you’ve just got done with updating objects on the map, scripts, or even loot configurations. This is why my go-to for persistency is now GRAD, it’s an absolute dream to work with and is also easily mix-able with the Ravage MP save system as well. Both systems together don’t skip a beat with saving, and there’s no “file size limitations” or corruption issues either. So if you’re looking for a save system to use even after your computer has been turned off and on again use GRAD. 

• Thanks 1

I can confirm @MuRaZorWitchKING post, Grads work great got myself few mission using Grad that we play sometimes, the server profile are few years old and it keep solid all the data (Vehicle, BaseBuilding, Crate Inventory), sometimes if the player make few comblicated structure with a lot of wall, plank.... and if there a lot of stuff that need to be saved few object are not saved/loaded properly there will be few static object with a small shifting.

Compared to an external data base, Grad is really easy to set up, so the people just need to put a mission on their server then play.

Personnaly for Ravage i use Grad for static object made by the player, crate and vehicle and the included Ravage persistence for player state without issue, i also modified the script to activate dynamic simulation on any loaded object, it make the server and player FPS much more stable on the long run.

The only issue (that can be solved) with Grad are the destroyed or damaged map building, so if you want something clean you must exclude all the damaged, destroyed and ruins building model classname if not at mission start Grad will load the damaged/destroyed building into his original building... So with ravage if you not plan to make a huge war on a village or a scripted bomb that destroy everything its not a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So how would I go about tuning my loot to only the items I've put inside my Gearpool module? I am using this in my init.sqf to "blacklist" items but they're still showing themselves after afew searches in the dynamic loot

init.sqf:

waitUntil {!isNil "rvg_Items"};
sleep 1;//just to be safe, the gearpool script needs to be done first
_blacklisted_items = ["rvg_money",
"rvg_plasticBottleEmpty",
 "rvg_canteenEmpty",
 "rvg_canOpener",
 "rvg_plasticBottle",
 "rvg_plasticBottlePurified",
 "rvg_spirit",
 "rvg_franta",
 "rvg_beans",
 "rvg_bacon",
 "rvg_milk",
 "rvg_rice",
 "rvg_rustyCan",
 "rvg_hose",
 "rvg_guttingKnife",
 "rvg_purificationTablets",
 "rvg_rustyCanEmpty",
 "rvg_beansEmpty",
 "rvg_baconEmpty",
 "rvg_spiritEmpty",
 "rvg_frantaEmpty",
 "rvg_rustyCanEmpty",
 "rvg_beansEmpty",
 "rvg_baconEmpty",
 "rvg_spiritEmpty",
 "rvg_frantaEmpty",
 "rvg_matches",
 "rvg_canisterFuel_Empty",
 "rvg_canisterFuel",
 "rvg_Geiger",
 "rvg_docFolder",
 "rvg_antiRad",
 "rvg_sleepingBag_Blue",
 "rvg_foldedTent",
 "rvg_notepad",
 "rvg_docFolder",
 "rvg_rustyCanEmpty"];
_rvg_items = rvg_Items;
rvg_Items = _rvg_items - _blacklisted_items;
publicVariable "rvg_Items";

As well as this list for loot I WANT to spawn:

rvg_Items = [
"rvg_tire",
"rvg_flare",
"rvg_toolkit",
"G_her_GasMaskA",
"herl_eat_apple",
"herl_eat_bmr",
"herl_eat_smr",
"herl_eat_TABA",
"herl_eat_GB",
"herl_eat_Rice",
"herl_eat_CC",
"herl_eat_grilledM",
"herl_eat_Fish",
"herl_dri_milk",
"herl_dri_RedGul",
"herl_dri_Spirit",
"herl_dri_Franta",
"herl_dri_watera",
"herl_dri_Canteen",
"herl_u_bloodbag25",
"herl_u_bloodbag50",
"herl_u_bloodbag75",
"herl_u_bloodbag",
"herl_u_Knife",
"herl_o_saw",
"herl_u_hpack",
"herl_u_vitamins",
"herl_u_CFire",
"herl_u_bandage",
"herl_u_dsray",
"herl_u_petrol",
"herl_u_petrole",
"herl_u_diesel",
"herl_u_diesele",
"herl_u_cawater",
"herl_u_cawatere",
"herl_u_Canteen",
"herl_u_RawM",
"herl_u_antibiotic",
"herl_u_fm_radio",
"herl_o_CamoNet",
"herl_o_FoldingChair",
"herl_lighter",
"herl_matches",
"herl_copener",
"herl_ma_Canteen",
"herl_ma_dspray",
"herl_ma_fm_radio",
"herl_mb_pm",
"herl_mb_waterpur",
"herl_mb_battery",
"herl_mb_bandage",
"Her_Flashlight_01_F",
"herl_u_FirstAidKit"
];

Is the gearpool module conflicting this you think? The settings are identical.

:headscratch:

This is for my dedicated server too, and I'm testing via hosted LAN, once all is done I'll do a test run via my private dedi just to make sure.

Maybe plop all this into the initserver.sqf? 

Thanks again! 🙂 

EDIT: Please disregard, I got a different setup running! 😄

Finally got my newest dedicated server patch rolling out yesterday, Heros survive really adds to the immersion for Ravage! Anyone looking to check it out feel free to join, server is up 24/7!
Just don't freeze to death! 😉  

If any of you do join let me know what you think, give me feedback / constructive criticism, always looking for stuff to improve on. 

Cheers! 🍻

https://discord.gg/r2aT3vp

• Like 6

I got a question about the clean up system provided by the mod Ravage, it delete all the weapon holder or only the one that are spawned by the ravage search loot feature ?

• Like 1

Hoping someone can help me with the zombie spawn structure black list feature.

I've started a Livonia mission with simple settings. Zombies are spawning at all the power lines. I've added all the powerline structures from Livonia to the blacklist, However they continue to spawn. I've formatted the array like the feature example shows.

Any ideas?

I'd like to add a double-click action to something in inventory. I've found, in the ravage codebase, in /code/survival/inventory.sqf

while {true} do {//true still works after respawn, use alive if we need to reboot
	waituntil {!(isnull (finddisplay 602))};
	showCommandingMenu "";
	{
		((findDisplay 602) displayCtrl _x) ctrlSetEventHandler ["LBDblClick", "_this call fnc_gearLBDblClick"];
	} count [633, 638, 619];

If I'm reading that right, when the layer opens the inventory, this code closes it, then reopens it with fnc_gearLBDblClick as the doubleclick event handler. I suspect that means I *cant* add my own double click handler without overriding yours. Am I right about that?

If so, I guess I can try a scroll menu action.

On 6/14/2021 at 11:16 PM, ernave said:

I'd like to add a double-click action to something in inventory. I've found, in the ravage codebase, in /code/survival/inventory.sqf

while {true} do {//true still works after respawn, use alive if we need to reboot
	waituntil {!(isnull (finddisplay 602))};
	showCommandingMenu "";
	{
		((findDisplay 602) displayCtrl _x) ctrlSetEventHandler ["LBDblClick", "_this call fnc_gearLBDblClick"];
	} count [633, 638, 619];

If I'm reading that right, when the layer opens the inventory, this code closes it, then reopens it with fnc_gearLBDblClick as the doubleclick event handler. I suspect that means I *cant* add my own double click handler without overriding yours. Am I right about that?

If so, I guess I can try a scroll menu action.

As far as I remember, it's not possible to add multiple ctrlEHs - but it's been a long time since I fiddled with it... I wonder how Mike Force handles that stuff by the way...

On 6/11/2021 at 4:23 AM, damsous said:

I got a question about the clean up system provided by the mod Ravage, it delete all the weapon holder or only the one that are spawned by the ravage search loot feature ?

If it's the Settings module, it does delete everything (unless there's a "owned" variable on it). Don't use it if you have doubts - Ravage-generated loot is virtually saved & cached anyways. 😉 

On 6/14/2021 at 9:42 AM, darkenraja said:

Hoping someone can help me with the zombie spawn structure black list feature.

I've started a Livonia mission with simple settings. Zombies are spawning at all the power lines. I've added all the powerline structures from Livonia to the blacklist, However they continue to spawn. I've formatted the array like the feature example shows.

Any ideas?

Are you sure you got the right classnames? Could be an issue with the way Ravage checks for object types (anything that doesn't inherit from the "static" class won't be detected)...

The zombie modules will be the first to be upgraded though, so that should not be an issue for long.

Speaking of upgrades... I'm facing a dilemma. Large chunks of the code are going to change, and if I want to keep retro compatibility with old scenarios, I reckon the best way to go will be to pack all the new stuff in separate PBOs, and have brand new modules pointing to new functions when necessary. Now that means duplicating some stuff, and since I don't want to confuse people, I'm probably going to hide the old modules as the new ones roll out : the old ones would be absent from 3den unless you are opening an old mission where there're present already.

Does that sound good to you guys? I can't think of a better solution right now...

• Like 9

May be a V2 mod and leave the current one as Legacy version?

Keep the new one lean n clean?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, haleks said:

Does that sound good to you guys? I can't think of a better solution right now...

Is there anyway to put sort of a mouse over hint on the newer modules something along the lines of "Use these V2 modules if you want Ravage 2.0 to be utilized, if you want the older version for legacy reasons utilize the base Ravage modules." Something like that?

Also, is Ravage 2.0 going to have a possible more in depth Gearpool tuner? Just curious as I still have some Ravage items spawn in my missions even with utilizing the sleep 5; before classing the items I want to be spawned into Ravage. Usually though, the sleep 5; DOES do it's job fairly well, so if not it isn't a big deal 😉

Keep up the good work mate, excited as hell for the new and improved and they'll definitely be put into the Dedicated ravage Server, and TBR. 

🍻

• Like 2

3 hours ago, haleks said:

I'm probably going to hide the old modules as the new ones roll out : the old ones would be absent from 3den unless you are opening an old mission where there're present already.

That sounds like a good plan. Personally, I don't care about the old modules if new ones are coming in. Pretty excited to see what they are.

I think it would better if you had 2 versions and just depreciate the old one, but leave it on STEAM WORKSHOP for compatibility sake.

I hate it when a mod is updated, but an old mission is not and then it breaks it. Not all authors have the time to go and redo it as much as we would want them to. They have to split their time updating old missions or creating new ones.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Valken said:

They have to split their time updating old missions or creating new ones.

I just split my time into working on the dedicated server, I push updates almost daily... With some bugs it's right after I get off work too... :goodnight: 😂

Eventually I'll have to slow down a bit, but the Dedicated server as it sits currently even though it's far from completed I still think it's the farthest I've ever got editing my stuff. Low mod count, but high content count lol 

Speaking of Servers and such, if any of you guys run servers and want them shared I have an area where (if you want) I can post up your server info for others to join! Feel free to message me via steam or discord 😉 

I'm off to go scrounge up some antibiotics in the cold climate of Chernarus! For future possible zombie bites! 💊

:slayer:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

I just split my time into working on the dedicated server, I push updates almost daily... With some bugs it's right after I get off work too... :goodnight: 😂

Eventually I'll have to slow down a bit, but the Dedicated server as it sits currently even though it's far from completed I still think it's the farthest I've ever got editing my stuff. Low mod count, but high content count lol

I think you, Donnie, CWR3 team and only a handful of people update their missions due to availability of time.

One of my favorite mission makers, Phantom, has incredible missions, but as soon as a mod updates, it breaks it and it eventually gets taken off SteamWorkShop, leading us to scramble to backup whatever "old" mods we have + the mission to be able to replay it.

So I rather have old missions + old mods be "available" than pulled off SWS as we now have lost ARMAHOLIC.

Great classics do not need to hide or die, it needs to be ARCHIVED! 😄

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 12:55 PM, haleks said:

f it's the Settings module, it does delete everything (unless there's a "owned" variable on it). Don't use it if you have doubts - Ravage-generated loot is virtually saved & cached anyways. 😉 

Ho nice thank you.

On 6/20/2021 at 9:25 PM, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

Also, is Ravage 2.0 going to have a possible more in depth Gearpool tuner?

Everything loot/gear related will change at some point - although it's probably going to be down the list, since that's the most complex feature to handle. But if all goes as planned, it will be possible to pop an AI module for each side/faction, each one with its own set of allowed gear, same for the loot systems - in theory you won't even have to alt-tab out nor copy/paste lists of classnames, it will be akin to filling ammo boxes in 3den. If all goes well. ^^

On 6/21/2021 at 3:15 PM, Valken said:

I think it would better if you had 2 versions and just depreciate the old one, but leave it on STEAM WORKSHOP for compatibility sake.

I hate it when a mod is updated, but an old mission is not and then it breaks it. Not all authors have the time to go and redo it as much as we would want them to. They have to split their time updating old missions or creating new ones.

13 hours ago, Valken said:

One of my favorite mission makers, Phantom, has incredible missions, but as soon as a mod updates, it breaks it and it eventually gets taken off SteamWorkShop, leading us to scramble to backup whatever "old" mods we have + the mission to be able to replay it.

The thing that bothers me with the separate version choice is that old missions will become obsolete eventually : they won't benefit from the updates to Ravage 2.0 at all if we go down that way. Not to mention that some of the user base might not be aware that a newer version is available elsewhere... In any case, you guys know me - I mean it when I say everything will be retro-compatible : as a matter of fact the original showcases will most likely remain untouched, and a new demo will be added exclusively for Ravage 2.0. With all the knobs turned to the max I reckon - I'm pretty confident that it will be like night and day when it comes to performances. Old missions might benefit from those optimisations too if I keep everything in one single mod.

Anyways, the first iterations will probably go public on patreon, giving everyone a chance to try it out and give feedback - even if you're not a backer. 😉 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, haleks said:

Everything loot/gear related will change at some point - although it's probably going to be down the list, since that's the most complex feature to handle. But if all goes as planned, it will be possible to pop an AI module for each side/faction, each one with its own set of allowed gear, same for the loot systems - in theory you won't even have to alt-tab out nor copy/paste lists of classnames, it will be akin to filling ammo boxes in 3den. If all goes well. ^^

The thing that bothers me with the separate version choice is that old missions will become obsolete eventually : they won't benefit from the updates to Ravage 2.0 at all if we go down that way. Not to mention that some of the user base might not be aware that a newer version is available elsewhere... In any case, you guys know me - I mean it when I say everything will be retro-compatible : as a matter of fact the original showcases will most likely remain untouched, and a new demo will be added exclusively for Ravage 2.0. With all the knobs turned to the max I reckon - I'm pretty confident that it will be like night and day when it comes to performances. Old missions might benefit from those optimisations too if I keep everything in one single mod.

Anyways, the first iterations will probably go public on patreon, giving everyone a chance to try it out and give feedback - even if you're not a backer. 😉 

I also vote for keeping everything under one roof and no legacy option. That often confuses players and could potentially cause more headaches than what it is worth it.

• Like 2

Working on a new scenario and I have to ask: Could https://ravage.fandom.com/wiki/Tools_for_Mission_Makers and the like get an update? The class names list is missing stuff and things like "this setvariable ["rvg_owned", true];" should have a spot in there. I've got a nice little notepad file for copy n pasting small init stuff but I'm always falling back to that wiki.

"Ravage 2.0" sounds exciting...until updating scenarios begins. 🙂

Hello people!

It's been exactly a year since the last update... I'd say it's time for a long overdue dust off!

v0.1.86

Tweaked:
Optimised the loot-per-day system.
Attached chemlights now follow memory point orientation.
Disabled custom loading screen texts for Altis.
Reverted cfgClutter to its vanilla state with an exception for one clutter model.
Edited several CfgSurfaceCharacters entries to remove or replace plants with problematic LODs.
Loot clean-up is now done whenever the game is saved (SP).

Fixed:
Gearpool : weapon accessories are now correctly sync'd in MP.
Fixed several MP sync issues with the loot system.
Zombies can no longer spawn over water.

New:
Added support for all gasmasks from SOG Prairie Fire.

This is not Ravage 2.0 yet, but a rather small update to push a few "easy" fixes here and there, and to somewhat improve compatibility with SOG Prairie Fire : their terrain has a lot of underwater static objects, which was messing with the zombie spawn system and causing performance issues. Speaking of performances, the loot clean-up routine would tend to cause some very annoying micro-freezes in SP; that feature is now attached to a save event handler and won't be a bother anymore. 😉 

I'm also reverting or toning down some of the edits to vanilla Arma 3 - you'll notice some changes to the vegetation clutter on vanilla terrain. I'm trying to strike a better balance between the vanilla intended look of terrains and models that don't switch LODs right in front of you... It's not perfect I reckon, but the new configs offer more variety, and the few faulty models left will be hidden by "proper" ones most of the time : you might see a few LOD switch here and there, but overall it still feels a lot better than the vanilla setup. And it looks a lot better now. \o/

Keep having fun fellas! And thank you all for your continued support!

Ravage v0.1.86

0437E3F54CD5703591BFABCB7583E52C0B163379

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

I updated my mission file everything went smooth, but it booted me from even joining my server (ravage steam mod ID error), so I updated the server's ravage mod in use from steam and restarted the server, andddd now.... Something seems bricked....? 

Worked perfectly fine in my Local hosted sessions, I'm trying multiple things to get this sorted out, but I don't know what the hell happened.

EDIT: Something is definitely messing up BAD, reuploading the entire updated PBO file is causing my server to fall flat on it's face and crash, no hosting nothing, the main hub for the server is showing 0% CPU, RAM, etc... All while displaying "Running" status. I'll keep trying other means to fix this. 

EDIT: My mission.cfg file is bricked in the dedi, getting weird stringtable errors all over the cmd lines in the server, along the lines of:

"5:12:34  ➥ Context: CUP\Weapons\CUP_Weapons_XM8\stringtable.xml
 5:12:38 Warning Message: Addon 'rvg_cup' requires addon 'ravage'" << Ravage is LOADED
=====================================================================

== arma3server.exe

== "arma3server.exe" -ip=104.238.222.27 -port=2312 -noPause -noSound -enableHT -maxMem=8192 -loadMissionToMemory -world=empty -config=default.cfg -profiles= -mod="@718871710;@1392780600;@497660133;@333310405;@1128256978;@583496184;@450814997;" -servermod=""

Original output filename: Arma3Retail_Server

Exe timestamp: 2021/06/07 14:37:15

Current time: 2021/06/27 05:12:31

Type: Public

Build: Stable

Version: 2.04.147719

Allocator: Dll\tbb4malloc_bi.dll [2017.0.0.0] [2017.0.0.0]

PhysMem: 128 GiB, VirtMem : 4.0 GiB, AvailPhys : 19 GiB, AvailVirt : 3.9 GiB, AvailPage : 27 GiB, PageSize : 4.0 KiB/2.0 MiB/HasLockMemory

=====================================================================

5:12:31 SteamAPI initialization failed. Steam features won't be accessible!

5:12:31 Initializing stats manager.

5:12:31 Stats config disabled.

5:12:31 sessionID: 6411cdec0a1cd916dc45a242589ee98abb1ba688

5:12:34 Unsupported language English in stringtable

5:12:34 ➥ Context: ca\language\stringtable.xml

5:12:34 Unsupported language English in stringtable

WTF is going on 💀 :rofl:

• Like 2

@haleks 

Love ya man and thanks for the update. However, I wanted to add to what Cloud said above by stating that @Slay No More also had a similar issue for his dedicated server; Slay was unable to join his server at all until he re-uploaded the mission and tried a few different things (such as using an older mission.sqm, which worked) as part of his problem-solving process. He mentioned seeing this error message:

Spoiler

82205F4FACAA0B41857D1A6D91B2106A3812EB32

I obviously don't know where the root of the problem lies but I wanted to mention Slay's experience, just in case. 

As a side note, Ravage version 2.0 sounds amazing, however, I'm with the "release a brand new mod" team. I feel that most mission makers could feel the same way since one of the worst thoughts to have is that your mission will get broken in some shape or form.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ArteyFlow said:

@haleks 

Love ya man and thanks for the update. However, I wanted to add to what Cloud said above by stating that @Slay No More also had a similar issue for his dedicated server; Slay was unable to join his server at all until he re-uploaded the mission and tried a few different things (such as using an older mission.sqm, which worked) as part of his problem-solving process. He mentioned seeing this error message:

Hide contents

82205F4FACAA0B41857D1A6D91B2106A3812EB32

I obviously don't know where the root of the problem lies but I wanted to mention Slay's experience, just in case. 

As a side note, Ravage version 2.0 sounds amazing, however, I'm with the "release a brand new mod" team. I feel that most mission makers could feel the same way since one of the worst thoughts to have is that your mission will get broken in some shape or form.

Indeed, I started my day by updating the ravage on Serverblend (server host), it went something like this.
1. updated ravage on my local machine,
2. updated the mission.sqm with latest ravage,
3. opened each module just to check for new settings, (I do this every update just to be sure of everything on my end)
4. everything looked okay, saved mission.sqm,
5. restarted server, pushed new mission.sqm (with updated ravage) over, updated ravage on server,
6. started server, it said the error above, it acted like there was a missing mod requirement, I removed all mod requirements, pushed the mission file not requiring mods, tried again, same error.
7. Stopped server, removed ravage, deleted all folders pertaining to it on the Dedi, re-installed the latest Ravage on the server, tried again. No luck.
8. Stopped server, reverted back to old mission.sqm (non-updated SQM), re-installed ravage, no luck.
9. Repeated the reinstall 3 more times, starting from scratch manually removing ravage each time, on the end of the 3rd attempt and with the original mission.sqm (non-updated SQM using old ravage modules inside) it worked. 
10. I reloaded the latest updated mission.sqm which used latest ravage, then things all started to work again magically.
Not sure if there was a hotfix in between now and then, but it was for sure a head scratcher. 

• Like 1

My server had no issues. I simply updated the server with the new version of Ravage, and did some save updates to the mission files with the new version of Ravage and everything is working just fine. Having said that... I do not really use the Ravage loot systems where it spawns objects. I only use the "searchable objects already in the world" option for loot and I use a custom loot script to spawn loot on the ground in buildings.

@haleks

Gearpool : weapon accessories are now correctly sync'd in MP.

I saw this in the update. What was wrong with weapon accessories? I have noticed that in the past AI never carry any weapon accessories other than flashlights, etc. They never seem to have scopes or suppressors. Is that what you mean?