Hello friends. Long time no see. After a lengthy break from Arma I'm back at it again. A while back I saw a YouTube video for how to delete Ravage character saves. Does anyone know what happened to that video? I can't seem to find it anymore. I do not personally need it since I already know how to do this, I just thought it would be a good reference video to put for troubleshooting on workshop.

38 minutes ago, Donnie_Plays said:

A while back I saw a YouTube video for how to delete Ravage character saves.

Well, I just made a new one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Uploaded  a sizeable update to my "One Job Too Far" scenario tonight and last week I uploaded a "final" update to "Island Paradise". See signature for links.

• Like 4

I wanted to ask would it be possible to extend Ravage with BOSS enemies?

JohnnyBoy is working on a bunch of abominations, and in the workshop, we have other zombies, spooks, ghouls, Aliens and etc...

But perhaps we can just have these types sorted into a BOSS class where it may randomly appear X% of the time?

Just to keep the players on their toes.

It might be an artifact mission to find something but it would release or trigger one of these bosses from said artifact. It could be like space prison that fell or was left on earth a long  (or not so long) time ago.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to access Ravage objects in code? I'm trying to COUNT how many objects are in a player's inventory, and for vanilla items I get a returned number, but for Ravage items I get 0. I've tried rvg_guttingKnife, rvg_Chicken_Meat, rvg_baconEmpty using:

{"rvg_baconEmpty" == _x} count (items player);

It seems to work for vanilla (i.e. FirstAidKit), but not Rvg.

Thanks!

Is there module for temperature (too high or low) effects on units on the way maybe? It will add extra immersion to survival gameplay.. Arctic highlands map have mountain tops over 7000 meters and it will be great if some script can connect this information with unit needs (clothing, oxygen..) or even better when unit is wet on low temps.. Thanks in advance    

3 hours ago, Nemanjic said:

Is there module for temperature (too high or low) effects on units on the way maybe? It will add extra immersion to survival gameplay.. Arctic highlands map have mountain tops over 7000 meters and it will be great if some script can connect this information with unit needs (clothing, oxygen..) or even better when unit is wet on low temps.. Thanks in advance    

I think you need to use Vandeanson's Apocalypse mod in addition to Ravage to get that feature along with loot spawining and food/hunger.

There is also an older mod, Hero's Survive mod that is works similarly, but Vandeanson's is known to work with Ravage.

19 hours ago, HereIsJones said:

Does anyone know how to access Ravage objects in code? I'm trying to COUNT how many objects are in a player's inventory, and for vanilla items I get a returned number, but for Ravage items I get 0. I've tried rvg_guttingKnife, rvg_Chicken_Meat, rvg_baconEmpty using:

{"rvg_baconEmpty" == _x} count (items player);

It seems to work for vanilla (i.e. FirstAidKit), but not Rvg.

Thanks!

Try this:

{_x == "rvg_baconEmpty"} count (magazines player)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Nemanjic said:

If you want to do it without additional mods then check this out:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UnDeaD. said:

If you want to do it without additional mods then check this out:

That is a very old thread lol 😆 

if you want the newest system I have the files stashed in my discord, it now has it’s own UI and what not for a cleaner look, still needs a bit of work too, but it works for the time being. It has altitude settings, time if day settings, water, etc... 

Feel free to check it out! 🍻

https://discord.gg/r2aT3vp

• Like 2

So I was playing Ravage on both Donnie and other DayZ type ARMA 3 RAVAGE servers and I had 2 ideas for MP Survival mode or persistent servers:

1) Make the landscape objects into small hidden storage space by "crafting" or virtually cutting a hole into it.

Think huge tree bark, stumps, rocks, or other larger "minimum x radius sized landscape objects", barrels and etc... that would be "operated on" with a knife, axe or other tool type object. Then we hide or stash some loot to be accessed later.

I had this idea while watching Devil's Rejects when Otis took 2 hostages to go "dig up some guns".

I mean, why do we HAVE to build a base or use a tent that is a huge target? Why can't we hide guns under rocks "virtually" or in a barrel or dumpster?

Of course, other players can "find" these stashes if they knew where to look or just render damage to the stored items over time if not retrieve for game balance and DB cleanup for example.

2) Another idea and this is more a space saving idea:

Compatibility with these melee weapons mods so that it can act as both TOOLS and Weapons!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1453659903&searchtext=melee

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1235058999&searchtext=melee

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2291129343&searchtext=melee

Knives can be weapon and do knive "tool" things like cut animal, cloth, etc...

AX can be weapon and chop wood

Sword can be both without having to carry BOTH a tool knife AND another melee weapon.

Just consolidate the classes so long as the player has it on their body, vest or bagpack to double use. 

It would allow the player to do more with less.

I am unsure if Ravage is still in active development, and I saw a ton of mods for DayZ SA but I still like the flexibility of ARMA 3 with Ravage more.

Maybe DAYZSA or ARMA 4 RAVAGE have more memory to allow bigger functional arrays.

• Like 2

Hi. Can anyone tell me what rvg_fnc_horde_fired_near does and how to use it? I found it on this page: https://ravage.fandom.com/wiki/Ravage_functions

I had an idea to try and make something the player could throw which would have a short timer, and would then make a loud noise that would attract zombies. Basically, it'd be like firecracker. Ideally, using it would use up a match too. But basically, if you were stuck on a roof because too many zombies had aggroed, you could light a firecracker and throw it and they'd all go after it.

I realize they also move toward flares, but they will ignore a flare if they're aggroed on the player.

Alternately, has anyone else ever thought along these lines? Does something like this already exist? Thanks.

4 hours ago, ernave said:

Hi. Can anyone tell me what rvg_fnc_horde_fired_near does and how to use it? I found it on this page: https://ravage.fandom.com/wiki/Ravage_functions

I had an idea to try and make something the player could throw which would have a short timer, and would then make a loud noise that would attract zombies. Basically, it'd be like firecracker. Ideally, using it would use up a match too. But basically, if you were stuck on a roof because too many zombies had aggroed, you could light a firecracker and throw it and they'd all go after it.

I realize they also move toward flares, but they will ignore a flare if they're aggroed on the player.

Alternately, has anyone else ever thought along these lines? Does something like this already exist? Thanks.

I thought the zombies would be attracted to glow sticks or flares? If not , you can try a flash bang mod to see if it will work on the zeds in the first place before crafting such an item. 

5 hours ago, ernave said:

If I recall correctly that function is obsolete and has been replaced by another set of scripts. Anytime a player fires a weapon or throws an object, Ravage gathers a set of data from the config files, and said data is used to determine how far a gunshot or an explosion can be heard. If the thrown object isn't an explosive, the script looks for a "grenadeBurningSound" parameter and uses it to set the hearing/visual range (like smoke grenades for instance).

So, as long as modded weapons and projectiles are properly configured, zombies will react accordingly - but that does require making & configuring a new item. As @Valken suggests, trying out other mods is a good idea, maybe there's already a similar item somewhere.

On a side note : zombies ignoring flares and other distractions when pursuing is intended - they're not completely brainless. 😉 

On 4/19/2021 at 4:59 AM, Valken said:

I wanted to ask would it be possible to extend Ravage with BOSS enemies?

This script has a couple of different types of bosses. I haven't tried it personally yet. https://github.com/OpticCobra/Arma-3-Ravage-Zombie-Gear/blob/main/ZombieInit.sqf

2 hours ago, haleks said:

zombies ignoring flares and other distractions when pursuing is intended - they're not completely brainless. 😉 

Okay understood. Thanks for the info. I'll try some other mods. Also, thanks a lot for the "audio detection" and "visual detection" settings you added about a year ago. I've been able to tune my missions to exactly the way I like them.

Can I ask one more thing? Have you considered giving them an attack sound? I often find that one comes up behind me and silently attacks. I get the visual indication when the screen turns red, but nothing else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was trying to make use of a modified version of a script Haleks provided here: https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/183264-ravage/?do=findComment&comment=3340080

My intention was to have a trigger that resulted in every zombie targeting the player. It's not working. Am I doing something wrong?

{
	_x doMove (getpos player);
	_x forceSpeed 2;
} forEach entities [["Zombie"], [], false, true];

25 minutes ago, ernave said:

I was trying to make use of a modified version of a script Haleks provided here: https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/183264-ravage/?do=findComment&comment=3340080

My intention was to have a trigger that resulted in every zombie targeting the player. It's not working. Am I doing something wrong?

{
	_x doMove (getpos player);
	_x forceSpeed 2;

That code will only work on non-agent zeds (basically any hand-placed zombie from the editor). Dynamically spawned zeds usually are agents, try that bit instead :

{
	[_x, player] call rvg_fnc_zed_updateAgentPath;
	_x forceSpeed 2;

But I think the following approach will be more reliable for your needs :

{
	_x setVariable ["_zTarget", player];
	_x setVariable ["_zTimer", 120];//will chase the player for at least 120 seconds

This way zeds will actually lock on the player and won't "forget" him - change the _zTimer value as needed. 😉 

• Like 2

Nice! Thanks Haleks.

BTW @Valken, that script I posted above for "boss" zombies is pretty neat. Worth checking out. There's a runner zombie that's very heavily armored, and an exploding zombie, although the amount of damage is a bit much in my opinion. It's using "IEDUrbanBig_Remote_Ammo" which will literally take out nearby buildings!

I'm not able to loot the zombies though. I can see that it's spawning them with vests and backpacks, but when they're dead I can't look them. Based on what Haleks just said about them being agents, my guess is, that's the reason. I guess you can't check the inventory of agents.

The script is doing (in the init EH): _zombie addVest "V_TacChestrig_cbr_F";

• Like 1

Can the rvg_owned variable be used on hand placed inventory items to stop them from being cleaned-up?

1 hour ago, EO said:

Can the rvg_owned variable be used on hand placed inventory items to stop them from being cleaned-up?

Yup. :)

• Thanks 1

Ok, I'm finished with the SP Ravage mission you didn't know you needed -

[SP] Ravage | One Hour to Chicken

Randomized and repeatable, with 19 starting points/vehicles and over 50 raid points. The only known issue I've found is that very occasionally the initial fade-in doesn't fire. I have no idea why.

• Like 4

On 4/29/2021 at 8:00 PM, HereIsJones said:

Ok, I'm finished with the SP Ravage mission you didn't know you needed

I played this and I think it is one of the best and most interesting Ravage missions yet. I normally can't stand time limits in games as they are usually there as an artificial level of difficulty - the authors didn't spend the time to make their mission difficult, so instead they push a time limit on the player. But in this case, the time limit is a genuine feature and a really clever thing to do. And it's great that there is a choice of time limit too - it forces the responsibility onto the player. Neat.

The basic concept of the mission is simple - collect ten pieces of chicken meat by raiding various encampments. I could almost certainly do it if I had plenty of time to take things cautiously. But when I'm up against the clock, it changes the way I play. I was mentally keeping track of what to do: two chickens per encampment; five stops; twelve minutes to travel, clear an area and gut some chickens. I manage the first two ahead of schedule, so everything's going great. But then I can't find the chickens at my next stop and I have to move on leaving me behind the clock and in need of an extra stop. And then at another place, I only found one chicken meaning I need another extra stop. My schedule is out the window and I'm running low on petrol. Now I need to find another vehicle in a detour I don't have time to make. So at the next stop, I can't be careful and I've got to steam right in when normally I'd be hanging back and observing.

The multiple starting positions is a nice touch too. The added randomness means you can't use the same plan as the time before. I'm in a different place and I've got a different vehicle - so that also changes how I play.

Great stuff. And I absolutely love the name. You're so right too - it's the mission I didn't know I needed, but boy do I need it!

I did make a video of my progress. I'm usually hesitant to mention them on here because I don't want to promote myself. But I'm going to link it because I'd like to encourage people to give this a try. I'm amazed that more people aren't playing this one already. Video in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @kodabar it's my first published Arma mission and I had fun making it. It's basically the Travelling Salesman Problem, with the addition of random factors like starting point/terrain/vehicle. You also have to consider that you'll be blocked by random events like getting pinned down by a patrol, running out of gas or having your engine shot out, needing to detour to the trading post for healing, etc.

One thing I noticed is that after the Arma update from the other day, zombies are no longer "rarely" dropping rare items (weapon attachments and first aid kits). I'm a new scripter, so I blame my code and not Arma, but I've found a way to add it back in. I may ask on the Steam page for comments before I do, as I know a lot of players like things harder. I just thought that getting an occasional scope or suppressor would be fun, given the time limit.

1 hour ago, HereIsJones said:

after the Arma update from the other day, zombies are no longer "rarely" dropping rare items

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of ArmA. They don't have as many significant updates these days, but you can bet that, when they do, it'll be five minutes after you release a mission.

I can't talk for others, but I didn't really bother with the zombie loot. I did look at the first few, but I was in a hurry and it was going to be easier to grab stuff from humans - they'd have a lot more things and it'd be more useful. And when I was up against the clock (I only play the one hour version), there was little point in fancy weapons. Sniping from a distance was less effective and a lot slower than screeching into the middle of things and blazing away. Even the more interesting guns I ignored. A 6.5mm was going to be powerful enough to kill a zombie in one shot anywhere on the body and I'd find enough ammo for it so I wouldn't have to worry. If I'd grabbed a 338 rifle, I'd need to carry another gun because it's terrible up-close and I'd run out of ammo.

After a few games, that's the way things have stayed. And I've never even been to the trading post - I'd need to be playing a 2 or 4 hour game for that to make any sense for me. But that's the way I play. Other people may well have different approaches.

I would welcome making it harder. More zombies and more NPC units at the encounters would be just fine. Three or four enemy fighters can be a challenge when there's a lot of cover and concealment. But if they're out in the open, I'm going to power through them pretty easily. And (although it may be difficult for my huge legions of obsessive YouTube fans to believe) I'm not particularly great at the game.

• Like 2