Yeah, unfortunately HC is a poor substitute for proper parallelism (particularly as it requires missions to be specially written to use it) but it's all we've got.

Hit me up if you do decide to investigate, would be happy to help out with any coding. If we got a test mission going with one standard HC module working we could then see if it that client can spawn its own agents.

No HC integration so far I'm afraid. Like EO said, zombies are generated accross all computers - except when a dedicated server is detected (in that case the server does almost everything).

I need to take a proper look at HC, and see if it brings other advantages compared to a dedi.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Defunkt said:

EDIT: I should've said, I think spectral beings are a stroke of genius given how hard it is to keep AI from walking through walls.

Haha yes, plus, seeing one casually walking trough the wall you was hiding behind (habits die hard) looks uber cool. 😉

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 1:19 AM, socs said:

Just curious, would it be possible to perhaps have these "ghosts" invisible to the naked eye, but visible to those that have maybe a certain helmet/glasses on?

It is. Man, you're giving me fun ideas for a COOP mission...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Oh hell yeahhhhhhhhhh @haleks, is there going to be an option to make them not go through the walls? Just like regular zombies but invisible... Or barely visible.

3 minutes ago, RZNUNKWN said:

Oh hell yeahhhhhhhhhh @haleks, is there going to be an option to make them not go through the walls? Just like regular zombies but invisible... Or barely visible.

I'm not set on the new module yet : the next update will only include a new mission showing what could be done eventually.

I'm still experimenting with various concepts; depending on how much I can get done, I might even release this project as a stand-alone addon later on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

HAc2pjS.jpg

d9x1o6n.jpg

Haleks, I just have to say the "Ghosts" are superbly done, you've managed to create a completely new and original adversary, perfectly formed and downright scary 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Currently on Day 2 in another run, I started playing in Perma-death and it really is a thrill, It's amazing watching the AI, I just had a confrontation in Kozlovka, as I passed through am old barn there were 3 bandits awaiting me on the other side, they quickly engaged me, so I ran back inside. I knew either they would leave me alone or wait around the area (As a real player would) but I wasn't expecting this... I saw one of their boys through that little circular window on the second story of stairs and I got him, but then I heard one of them give a call-out and to my surprise I heard footsteps (keep in mind it is raining so they were very loud) and one of the bastards ran in trying to avenge his fellow! I quickly reacted with a shot to his head, and I sat there... Waiting... The third man must of ran off cause I've been slowly inching out of the barn but nothing... This is just another one of those moments that I couldn't keep myself from posting, the AI is just incredible. Keep up the good work @haleks!! :rthumb:   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

SNIPPED

I love reading stuff like this. Makes me really want to play scenario.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MuRaZorWitchKING said:

This is just another one of those moments that I couldn't keep myself from posting, the AI is just incredible. Keep up the good work @haleks!! :rthumb:   

Agreed!

I had an AI tea bag me after killing me on the Infected WarZones server. He didn't really do that... but he did walk right over my body and then kneel down over my head while I bled out. It looked like he was camping my body, which I love.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hello Ravagers!

It is time for an update, and this is a special one.

Ravage 165 introduces a new SP showcase on Malden called Ghost Hunters, and several improvements. This new mission is very different from the other showcases, more tense and action-packed, and yet also more conventional (it has a briefing, and an ending too!). I thought it was time to let you have a look at what I'm working on these days; the work I've poured into them zombies is being put to good use with these "ghosts". Like I said earlier, this might even lead to a new mod, standalone from Ravage...

I hope you'll have as much fun playing it as I did making it. Don't hesitate to leave your feedback on the forum!

The changelog ain't long, but I reckon you'll like the latest changes :

Tweaked :
Unit deletion distance is now the same as AI max spawn distance.
Updated one of the Altis intro scenes.
Replaced AI DirectionRelative callouts by DirectionCompass.*
Zeds hit from beyond audio range will run in a random direction.
Fixed :
The V_O2Tank_1 vest was missing breathing sounds (Survival Module).
New :
New showcase mission on Malden : Ghost Hunters**

* Replaced AI DirectionRelative callouts by DirectionCompass : if you're familiar with the Arma games, you'll know it's a tradition to have the AI say "Contact, left", when in fact it means "Contact, west". I don't know why BI bothered making sounds for relative direction callouts since Arma doesn't use them. I took the afternoon and fixed those; those fixes will be applied to the Discipline Mod soon.

** New showcase mission on Malden : Ghost Hunters. Quite different from the other showcases, I think you'll like this one. Some advanced tips to make it through :

- Ghosts can walk through objects. They'll often surround your squad in a matter of seconds as a result. Take your time to progress.

- Squad Formation is extremely important. When overwhelmed, having your men tightly grouped together can make a huge difference. The "FILE" formation works best in both Stealth and Combat modes, your men will always stay together. You don't have to worry about AI friendly fire : your squad mates can't kill each others (but do watch your fire!).

- Keep an eye on your mine detector : if you spot an unaware ghost, throwing a flare can be a good way to lure him out in the open.

The Credit section in the OP has been updated : The "Ghost Hunters" showcase uses VFX based on aliascartoons's work for his Strigoi concept.

Ghost Hunters is only a teaser for future projects, so keep an eye on the workshop and this forum, 2019 should be interesting. I'm working on something big. 😉

?imw=1024&imh=576&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

Like always, if you enjoy what I'm doing, donations are welcome :

PP_logo_h_100x26.png

Download Link : Ravage v0.1.65

0437E3F54CD5703591BFABCB7583E52C0B163379

Enjoy!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7

You are always surprising me with what you keep doing. Thank you for all the hard work on this mod. Great freaking job.

• Like 3

On 2/8/2019 at 1:19 AM, socs said:

Just curious, would it be possible to perhaps have these "ghosts" invisible to the naked eye, but visible to those that have maybe a certain helmet/glasses on?

On 2/9/2019 at 8:18 AM, haleks said:

It is. Man, you're giving me fun ideas for a COOP mission...

Okay, I've been toying with it today, and it's 100% doable. The cool thing is that players unable to see ghosts can still detect them with the mine detector and kill them like any normal unit (if they are lucky shots - or use explosives or vehicles to ram them).

I reckon we have a very solid concept for an awesome COOP showcase here...

• Like 5

19 hours ago, haleks said:

- Squad Formation is extremely important. When overwhelmed, having your men tightly grouped together can make a huge difference.

I rarely lead a squad that big, but It really is a lot of fun when you do...(don't open the spoiler if you haven't played the mission) 

Spoiler

I split my squad into 2 smaller teams, had them flank the military complex left and right, which gave me a little more freedom to do the business with the device. Regrouped into a tight formation for the ensuing battle to the extract point. Fantastic little mission which is in fact very vanilla with a slight spectral twist.

• Like 2

What one can see with the naked eye :

What's really there :

As you can imagine, this little trick makes ghosts extremely hard to survive. They'll be visible to all when they're chasing a target too, but even with that, they're terrifying opponents.

• Like 6

Awesome work.^^

Remember this guy...

Spoiler

uKdYIjK.jpg

...any tips on how to apply the "No Face" head to the editable zombie units in Eden. (I want to make a few "Boss" Zeds)

Pasting a loadout from the VA into the zeds init along with, this setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false] works fine for headgear, facewear and uniforms, but for some reason ignores this setFace "rvg_no_face"...zed will always spawn with regular Ravage zed head. 

Even choosing the "No Face" head through the Object Identity section of Attributes is unreliable too, again the zed will spawn with a regular Ravage zed head. :headscratch:

Any Ideas? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, EO said:

Any Ideas? 

Like many things in Ravage, you might need a small delay. I can't test it right now, but this should do the trick :

this spawn {sleep 1; _this setFace "rvg_no_face"}

This is annoying by the way - one of these days, I really need to sort out functions and inits priorities to make sure we don't need to delay custom scripts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool man thank you, I'll try that out later and post the results. 😉

4 hours ago, haleks said:

...but this should do the trick

So far so good...

Spoiler

MhBDZDX.jpg

...the only thing that doesn't spawn from the loadout are the rvg_eyeprotectors. :icon_confused:

Another cool thing I've learned today: If you hand place a zed unit in Eden they will happily do there own thing and deal, what I assume is, default damage, however if you add an Ambient Zombies module those same hand placed zeds will inherit any values you've edited within the module (i.e Damage Output, Dirty Uniforms etc.)  :supercool:  

• Like 3

Man, I'm getting my ass whooped in "Ghost Hunters" mission. I love it!

It is so amazing to see how much people (in this case, Haleks, and his Ravage mod) can create something totally different from what this game was intended for. Of course, I'm not saying the basic Arma elements aren't there, but going from war operations, tanks, planes, bombs, etc, to avoiding radiation, checking hydration, killing zombies, looting, surviving, totally new story... and now we have nearly invisible, dangerous creatures, chasing you, again, implemented into Arma 3! A whole new story, again! Ravage is pretty much why I started playing Arma 3, and that's what I'm actually only playing in Arma, and in general. Thank you!

Cheers people! :drinking2:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Small update!

Tweaked :
Various improvements to the Ghost Hunters scenario.

Fixed :
Fixed an issue with the maxGlobalZeds variable.
Added missing pistol ammo in the Ghost Hunters scenario.
Fixed several issues with extraction in the Ghost Hunters scenario.

The chopper would sometimes wave off before landing again during extraction. I've also adjusted the ghost population to better fit each phase of the mission. Enjoy guys!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, chernaruski said:

Haleks, can you please separate Ravage mod from any future Scenarios / Missions?

I could, but why would you want that? Having them bundled with the mod is to make sure no one miss them.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, haleks said:

I could, but why would you want that? Having them bundled with the mod is to make sure no one miss them.

Don't get me wrong scenarios are great , but in my opinion its poor practice to join them with main framework and update mod because of them. Micro-updates of missions/scenarios don't add much to the fundamental features of this mod that most of multiplayer users or mission creators are using because...well they create their own thing using Ravage. 
i.e If you use Ravage mod as survival system on MP server ,  you are not really interested in missions/scenarios that bundled together  ,  furthermore in updating mod server-side for every future mission/scenario related bug-fix or micro-update with a fresh bikey.  
I'm not sure why you decided to bundle them together... you always can create official mission/scenario collections and feature them on mod steam page or here and keep main mod as a separate thing. People that are interested in scenarios won't miss them, be sure of that.

Maybe I'm missing something,   but I think main mod should be separated from any scenario / mission ...

• Like 1

Okay, I'm not familiar with server management, so I had no idea micro-updates could be annoying...

I'll think on it, but Ravage now has a showcase scenario for each vanilla terrain - except Stratis. I don't think it will receive many more scenarios, except an official MP mission later on; the next projects are mostly separate or might go stand-alone from Ravage.

• Like 2