I am running multiple maps at once so that I don't have to restart ArmA every single time I want to play on a different map.

You are not willing to properly organize your mods out of inconvenience of having to restart the game. That means you are likely using the same character and bouncing around to multiple saves on multiple maps. This is not behavior that I would associate with long term stability. If you want stability, you have to be patient and organize things better. Be more specific for what mods you want to use for which missions. Come up with a specific list and use presets.

making 20 different presets just so I don't have all the maps enabled at once doesn't make sense to me....ArmA 3 is very lacking in terms of actual content....ArmA 3 is one of those games where you need mods to fill in the lack of content

I suggested the presets, because I assume you want variety for different types of missions but it sounds like you are just enabling everything all of the time. There is nothing at all wrong with using mods to add variety. Just vanilla Arma does not run very well for most PC gamers without significant tweaking of settings. I can't imagine what your frames are like trying to run that many mods. I can just imagine you walking through Georgetown on Tanoa with 55 mods enabled. 5FPS? I guess performance is something that I think about a lot as a mission maker, so I'm constantly focusing on quality of overall experience compared to performance issues. Performance is one of many reasons I play PC and not console, though.

I still believe long term stability is attainable, even with 55 mods (which btw, isn't that many compared to how many some other people use). I am aware that some mods (especially overhaul mods like RHS) could definitely conflict with other mods. I am willing to take the risk, just so I can have a better experience in the game.

Who do you know who runs more than 55 mods on a persistent mission or server and has no stability issues? I want to meet this guy/girl. No one with Arma knowledge or experience expects long term stability in any mission with that many mods running. I have been testing Ravage and making missions for three years now. I've hosted probably hundreds of sessions with friends. I'm currently running a Ravage server with a friend of mine that has been live for two months now. No one runs servers with that many mods for a reason. Most of the time, servers run between 10-15 mods. You might find a server that uses 20 if they are really pushing it. It's just not rational to do so. It's one thing to host a session, it's another to expect long term stability. Every time a mod updates you would need to update your mission file and everyone else would need to update their mods. The chances of something not going wrong is almost impossible. I say this as a guy who has hosted games and had similar problems with a 15 mod list and one friend who didn't have something updated properly. That's the danger of modding. You lose stability. Arma even TELLS you this every time you connect to a game. That's what that box says in the top right corner.

which mods of mine are "potentially game breaking"? I have literally come across no other problems that could be potentially related to the mods I have enabled, just the MP persistency issue in Ravage. The "ocean death bug", or so I call it, only occurs when I have the setting enabled, so do you see why I am blaming Ravage?

No, I do not see why you are blaming Ravage. I've never seen the ocean death bug before. But then again... I tend to keep my mod list between 10-15. I already pointed out that every single mod you add which adds to the pool of gear, weapons, clothing, items will have an effect on MP persistency. Especially if multiple friends are playing. Every single item that a player is carrying will save to a database for the next time you re-connect. If someone signs on the next time and a single mod is not updated or somehow the wrong mod is enabled by mistake, something can break.

The respawn in the ocean bug is something that has been reported by various modding communities. It's not exclusive to Ravage and most likely is caused by conflicting mods or respawn points.

https://www.exilemod.com/topic/364-spawned-in-ocean-far-corner-of-map/

• Like 1

Uhhh, that 0,0,0 is a thing? I wrote some map script the other day which toggles display of groups/units/none on the map. And just a few days I recognized there is a lot going on at 0,0,0, i.e. it displays units/groups stacked on that point.

@haleks

Damn playing the altis demo feels alot different without the lootable props and stuff (lootable luggages and military crate-thingies inside houses)..

Any plans of bringing it back as an editor option at least?

1 hour ago, tortuosit said:

Uhhh, that 0,0,0 is a thing? I wrote some map script the other day which toggles display of groups/units/none on the map. And just a few days I recognized there is a lot going on at 0,0,0, i.e. it displays units/groups stacked on that point.

I have never encountered it in game. I was familiar with the issue for a long time now. I only know about it, because over the last year or so I've had a couple of people on my steam workshop submission pages suggest they have had respawn issues into the ocean. In every case they told me they were running an excessive amount of mods. I have spent hours upon hours trying to research this same issue. I've tried everything I can and can't reproduce the problem with the minimum required mods on my missions. This is the exact opposite testing process than what the user above is suggesting. He's starting with 55 mods and trimming down from there. lol

If I can't make the problem happen with the required mods, then it must be additional mods causing the problems. I spent some time trying to look the problem up and have found the same reported problem on Epoch, Wasteland and Exile servers as well, going back as far as 2015. How do we articulate to someone that there is such a thing as too many mods?

As I think back to all the games I have modded or tried to mod in my life... Left For Dead 2, Skyrim. No games are stable once you reach a certain threshold for mods. For example, if I ran 7 or 8 Left for Dead mods, my game always crashed at some point. It would never stay stable. This is true for basically every game out there. I suppose we all hold Arma to a higher standard for some reason. I mean... Arma 3 is a five year old game at this point. It's not like it's a newly polished game.

• Like 2

I have a quick question, may I modify and repack the fn_zed_attack.sqf script so I may remove the backpack and weapon dropping mechanic? It is causing a few errors on my server, I run Exile as the "main" mod, and there arent any settings i can find which disable it.

18 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

You are not willing to properly organize your mods out of inconvenience of having to restart the game. That means you are likely using the same character and bouncing around to multiple saves on multiple maps. This is not behavior that I would associate with long term stability. If you want stability, you have to be patient and organize things better. Be more specific for what mods you want to use for which missions. Come up with a specific list and use presets.

I suggested the presets, because I assume you want variety for different types of missions but it sounds like you are just enabling everything all of the time. There is nothing at all wrong with using mods to add variety. Just vanilla Arma does not run very well for most PC gamers without significant tweaking of settings. I can't imagine what your frames are like trying to run that many mods. I can just imagine you walking through Georgetown on Tanoa with 55 mods enabled. 5FPS? I guess performance is something that I think about a lot as a mission maker, so I'm constantly focusing on quality of overall experience compared to performance issues. Performance is one of many reasons I play PC and not console, though.

Who do you know who runs more than 55 mods on a persistent mission or server and has no stability issues? I want to meet this guy/girl. No one with Arma knowledge or experience expects long term stability in any mission with that many mods running. I have been testing Ravage and making missions for three years now. I've hosted probably hundreds of sessions with friends. I'm currently running a Ravage server with a friend of mine that has been live for two months now. No one runs servers with that many mods for a reason. Most of the time, servers run between 10-15 mods. You might find a server that uses 20 if they are really pushing it. It's just not rational to do so. It's one thing to host a session, it's another to expect long term stability. Every time a mod updates you would need to update your mission file and everyone else would need to update their mods. The chances of something not going wrong is almost impossible. I say this as a guy who has hosted games and had similar problems with a 15 mod list and one friend who didn't have something updated properly. That's the danger of modding. You lose stability. Arma even TELLS you this every time you connect to a game. That's what that box says in the top right corner.

No, I do not see why you are blaming Ravage. I've never seen the ocean death bug before. But then again... I tend to keep my mod list between 10-15. I already pointed out that every single mod you add which adds to the pool of gear, weapons, clothing, items will have an effect on MP persistency. Especially if multiple friends are playing. Every single item that a player is carrying will save to a database for the next time you re-connect. If someone signs on the next time and a single mod is not updated or somehow the wrong mod is enabled by mistake, something can break.

The respawn in the ocean bug is something that has been reported by various modding communities. It's not exclusive to Ravage and most likely is caused by conflicting mods or respawn points.

https://www.exilemod.com/topic/364-spawned-in-ocean-far-corner-of-map/

You need to stop treating me as if I am completely new to the ArmA series. I have been playing ArmA since 2012, it is not like I am pulling everything I am saying out of my ass.  Yes, mods make you lose stability, yes 55 is a lot (to some people), but like nearly half of those are just maps. Not overhaul mods or other buggy trash mods, but maps. How can enabled maps possibly break my game or in general cause problems? As for the other mods, yeah they can cause problems and could theoretically break the game, if they're not used properly. I think we can all agree on that. But for the map mods, they're just maps, they're not doing anything, unless I launch a mission on the said map. Making a preset for every single map you have downloaded is a complete waste of time, from my perspective. Also, do not get me wrong, I don't claim to know everything about the ArmA series and I am not trying to sound like it, but I'm telling you that you're not seeing this from my perspective at all.

Also, we both know how well ArmA 3 is optimized (sarcasm). I am pretty sure that if I were to get 5 fps in Georgetown, that 90% of the reason would be the trash optimization that ArmA 3 is known for (all ArmA games in general, if we want to expand the subject). Some people are literally playing with Gtx 1080 ti's, i7 7700k's, etc and still get bad performance in ArmA. That's just how it is. I mentioned the 10 fps problem because I assumed it was due to all the AI and zombies that were spawning.

I have already told you like twice now. The reason I am blaming Ravage (more specifically, the MP persistency setting in Ravage) is because I have no other problems elsewhere. I am assuming it's that setting causing my issue but I can't be sure. It's only an assumption that I am making, based on the evidence I have. It could very well be some mods I have enabled conflicting or what not. That's what I will try and find out. But in the meantime, just try and see this from my perspective.

14 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

I have never encountered it in game. I was familiar with the issue for a long time now. I only know about it, because over the last year or so I've had a couple of people on my steam workshop submission pages suggest they have had respawn issues into the ocean. In every case they told me they were running an excessive amount of mods. I have spent hours upon hours trying to research this same issue. I've tried everything I can and can't reproduce the problem with the minimum required mods on my missions. This is the exact opposite testing process than what the user above is suggesting. He's starting with 55 mods and trimming down from there. lol

If I can't make the problem happen with the required mods, then it must be additional mods causing the problems. I spent some time trying to look the problem up and have found the same reported problem on Epoch, Wasteland and Exile servers as well, going back as far as 2015. How do we articulate to someone that there is such a thing as too many mods?

As I think back to all the games I have modded or tried to mod in my life... Left For Dead 2, Skyrim. No games are stable once you reach a certain threshold for mods. For example, if I ran 7 or 8 Left for Dead mods, my game always crashed at some point. It would never stay stable. This is true for basically every game out there. I suppose we all hold Arma to a higher standard for some reason. I mean... Arma 3 is a five year old game at this point. It's not like it's a newly polished game.

You failed to mention anywhere in your post that like 20 of the mods I have enabled are just maps. I'm not surprised, but still. Also, just for the record, if you looked through the mod list I have again, most of those (or at least a good handful) are supported by Ravage, so that's one of the reasons I am playing Ravage while having them enabled. I'm not going to lie however, there's definitely still mods that I should remove from my Ravage mod preset (which I'm still skimming down, btw).

Guys, let's stop this argument here; I think we all agree that using mods comes with its own uncertainty regarding stability - the nature of the mods don't really matter (anything as simple as a config tweak can have unforeseen consequences).

In the end, everyone has a different modset, and it is impossible to guarantee that it has optimal stability without extensive tests. I don't even know how Ravage alone would run in a hundreds hours long mission (badly I reckon).

@ArteyFlo: Just gimme a shout when you have the chance to test a minimal modset (CBA + Ravage).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haleks said:

Guys, let's stop this argument here; I think we all agree that using mods comes with its own uncertainty regarding stability - the nature of the mods don't really matter (anything as simple as a config tweak can have unforeseen consequences).

In the end, everyone has a different modset, and it is impossible to guarantee that it has optimal stability without extensive tests. I don't even know how Ravage alone would run in a hundreds hours long mission (badly I reckon).

@ArteyFlo: Just gimme a shout when you have the chance to test a minimal modset (CBA + Ravage).

Okay, I'm still just unable to see how any of the map mods I have enabled could be causing problems, but I could be wrong. It was not my intention to start an argument on this forum, I just wanted to find out the source of my issue. Yes, maybe I should have tried Ravage with no mods first, as that would have been the smart thing to do, but I made an assumption based on my previous experiences that it was Ravage's fault. That's what led me back here. If the problem lies on my end, and not on Ravage, then I apologize. I am testing out Ravage right now with a minimal mod set, I will tell you how it goes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ArteyFlo said:

Okay,

Hello there ArteyFlo !

Just an info , you don't need to quote the whole post .:ups:

6 hours ago, haleks said:

@haleks Okay, I've tested Ravage whilst only having CBA and Ravage enabled and the bug was nowhere to be found. I understand now that the problem is on my end, and not on Ravage. I have also skimmed my Ravage mod preset down quite a bit (it's now close to 25 mods). In the future I will play with the least amount of mods as possible when playing Ravage so the bug doesn't happen again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it possible to spawn zombies with custom uniforms without the removal of their gear and helmet? I'd love to make a mission with ww2 zombies. Thanks.

6 hours ago, ArteyFlo said:

I will play with the least amount of mods as possible when playing Ravage

I have noticed so far that when you have enable a lot of maps , the models may interfer and get even lower FPS,

also there will be mods/addons , that may also interfere with certain scripts.

This is why the best solution before you play , to activate (even when playing with a whole group )  the certain addons that you need.!:f:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Omerta0414 said:

Is it possible to spawn zombies with custom uniforms without the removal of their gear and helmet? I'd love to make a mission with ww2 zombies. Thanks.

Yes! ^^

The current system only supports uniforms as it's the most efficient way to spawn customized Zeds on a large scale, however if you want to have Zombies with headgear/vests etc. then you have to edit individual Zeds in the Editor. (It's also worth mentioning that you can't add weapons to an edited Zombie unit as it will break there animations.)

Add this to the init of a single zombie unit: this setVariable ["BIS_enableRandomization", false]

Spoiler

:f:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ArteyFlo said:

Okay, I'm still just unable to see how any of the map mods I have enabled could be causing problems, but I could be wrong.

Probably six months ago, I had someone complain on the Breaking Point mission that they were encountering bugs. They came back and replied a few days later and said they were running two maps at the same time (Chernarus Redux) and when they disabled the extra map, they had no further issues. We never figured out exactly what the conflict was. CUP Terrains Core is certainly not a perfect mod. It has it's flaws as well, as we discovered hosting a server and using that mod. It throws errors fairly regularly. I have no idea why. A lot of community maps are not very well optimized as well. The bigger the community map, the more likely you are going to have problems. I think people get a little ambitious when creating maps and can forget that we're dealing with Arma. There are a lot of community maps that get made for Arma that never get finished or the author gives up on the project halfway through. Just look at Esseker and New Haven in particular. My two favorite maps were never finished and are full of bugs.

• Like 1

Does anyone know how to disable "open inventory" of ai backpacks? i believe it was posted here but I couldn't find it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lv1234 said:

how to disable "open inventory" of ai backpacks?

• Like 4

Is there a way to influence the AI (Bandits) units quantity of gear? Didn't see anything. I have a scripting solution at hand, but maybe there is some possibility in Ravage, an exposed variable, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tortuosit said:

units quantity of gear?

Hello there tortuosit !

You can use this to manage the items found in their uniforms or dropped when dead.

It need some update though and i will these days !

• Like 3

On 22/06/2018 at 3:24 PM, haleks said:

I have running a ravage mission on malden for more than 48h without issue (just Ravage+CBA), i just don't use ravage loot system for dedicated server.

What is the texture name for the rust on vehicles? Is this usable on other vehicles and not just base like pickup trucks and SUV?

19 minutes ago, Donnie_Plays said:

What is the texture name for the rust on vehicles? Is this usable on other vehicles and not just base like pickup trucks and SUV?

Those usually are materials rather than textures, here's a few of them :

"\A3\soft_F\Offroad_01\Data\Offroad_01_ext_destruct.rvmat"
"\A3\soft_f_gamma\SUV_01\Data\suv_01_ext_destruct.rvmat"
"\A3\soft_f_gamma\Van_01\Data\van_01_ext_destruct.rvmat"
"\A3\air_f\Heli_Light_01\Data\heli_light_01_ext_destruct.rvmat"

You can try them on other vehicles (although it might not look good in some cases), or you could look for the destruct.rvmat for each vehicles (you will need to do some exploring in the vanilla game PBO under "Arma3>Addons").

13 hours ago, Big Daddy Grimm said:

Does anyone know of a base building mod that will run with Ravage.

Base building can be a bit painful as different people want different things and there are only a few base-building mods out there - none of them satisfy everyone.

Probably the simplest, yet most comprehensive is DP Build Everything. It's actually a suite of tools that will allow you to place, well, pretty much everything in ArmA. I haven't tested it out properly with Ravage, so I'd suggest you have a tinker with it to check if it works in the manner that you would like before committing to doing anything fancy.

There are limitations to base-building (regardless of what mod you use). For instance, zombies follow a pathing matrix that doesn't know about obstacles you place in their way. So don't be too surprised if you stick up a wall of sandbags and zombies wander straight through them.

This is the core module of DP Build Everything. Check the other parts by MusTanG to see if you need them.
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=892365572

• Like 1

Hi Haleks, let me take the opportunity to say thanks here as well for this fantastic mod! (I contacted you earlier on Steam with some questions about your mod for my Mad Max-like scenario.)

I have spent a lot of time to learn and understand the structure of your mod: I unpacked the pbo-s, checked how the details are scripted and customized... There were a few things I could already customize for myself but did not find the way to achive a few things I wish. 

I would like to ask some help regarding the fn_spawnBanditCamp.sqf script and spawns of different sides.

• Would it be possible to spawn not only green (independent) banditcamps? 
  • (How) would it possible to get the banditcamps respawn after all bandits from that camp died?  
  • (How) would it be possible to assign certain location types to get only certain sides be spawned into (e.g. villages will be getting only OPFOR spawned in, towns only some other side, etc.)?

I understand I have to unpack the ravage.pbo but as I am quite a beginner in scripting, I have no clue where and how these things could be scripted.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Like 1