42 minutes ago, cosmic10r said:

sometimes  you gotta do stuff cuz you believe in it and let the chips fall where they may...

The best part for me... everything I create in the editor is for my friends and I to play and have fun, first. So everything I do starts out with the intention of making something fun to play, often with friends. That's what it's all about anyway.

• Like 2

Greetings,

I played the Ravage mod for the first time this afternoon. Honestly, it blew me away. I was thinking the other day how much fun our clan used to have with the ARMA-2 DayZ Mod.  If only somebody could do an update on that I would be happy. Guess what? It's here! I'm playing a multiplayer mission, "[SP/COOP 1-8] The Days After Zero." I spawned in NW of Kamenka into a small military compound. Between the Bandits and the Zeds I had to fight like hell to get out of there alive. If I wasn't on holiday, I would call in sick tomorrow! Bloody brilliant job on this haleks and team! I'm new to this mod so how is the survival aspect? Can I cook food and purify water? Can I repair vehicles? How about storage, can I use a tent? Thank you! Back to the apocalypse... :f:

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

Content creators... do you ever get discouraged? Someone went through and downvoted all four of my workshop submissions in a row today. I watch the numbers regularly now because they have all picked up some significant steam over the last couple of months.

Now I have noticed that the community constantly demands my missions be a specific way. A good example related to Ravage. Some people want constant running zombies, some want no running zombies. Some want more AI, some want less. Some want more loot, some want less. Some demand save options, some want more or less respawn options, etc. I've also noticed that there are a ton of people out there who do not fundamentally understand Arma... yet they think they are complete experts on the topic. Little troubleshooting problems like Arma profile name problems or conflicting mods or just not understanding the concept of extracting a zipped file.

I have a ton of ideas for 2018... not all of them are zombie related. I can't stop thinking about the amount of time I have personally spent working on these missions, tweaking them in various ways and trying to keep FPS performance high but still deliver a fun sandbox experience, etc. It's obvious I can't keep everyone happy.

Being discouraged is not, the way I see it, the best way to go about it...You can't please everyone, and besides, its your mission, they can't force you to make it a certain way...I have had requests in the past to change the color filter, or to do something else, I still haven't changed it (I kinda can't anyways, its an older version of Arma, and I can't get the file to load anyways) because I have no desire to please someone else...I like to make the missions, and entertain others, don't get me wrong...but I don't do it for them, I build it to what I want to see, and that is what is most important...that is why I told Cosmic he can rust the guns if he wants to..cause I don't control what he does...I did throw some of my ideas in there, but its 'cause I thought it would be helpful...either way, do what you want, not what others want...and if they want something else, just make a new mission with some little bits..that is why I am working on my newest Ravage mission...I wanted more AI, and a better challenge!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

I do not use respawn camps in my missions... however, I think they work by placing the backpack/tent respawn camp down and it gives you a respawn option at that camp. I have used it before while playing other missions.

I remember the old "The Day After" mod used it.

So when you die, do you lose everything or is everything still on you when you respawn at that camp?

Also when you enable the respawn camp in ravage, do you just place any tent down and it should work?

11 hours ago, Snakeyes1 said:

I'm new to this mod so how is the survival aspect? Can I cook food and purify water? Can I repair vehicles? How about storage, can I use a tent? Thank you! Back to the apocalypse... :f:

Lots of information on the wiki:rthumb:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

The best part for me... everything I create in the editor is for my friends and I to play and have fun, first. So everything I do starts out with the intention of making something fun to play, often with friends. That's what it's all about anyway.

My advice : don't lose sight of that.

Keeping everyone happy is impossible, and if you start worrying about every single complaint thinking you can address them, you'll lose your mind - especially on Steam, where the most vocal people aren't necessarily aware of the work involved behind playable content.

I keep my ears open to every comments and ideas (it would be stupid of me to believe I can think of everything alone), but ultimately, whatever change I make to my mods or missions are ones I deem necessary or fun from my point of vue. Just keep your own goal in mind, there'll always be content and discontent whatever you do. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Evil Organ said:

Lots of information on the wiki:rthumb:

Thanks. I read through it this morning. It answered all of my questions.

Has this zed...

A. Drank to much Franta.

B. Had his brains blown out.

Spoiler

nKDjfOc.jpg

:scratchchin: 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Evil Organ said:

Has this zed...

A. Drank to much Franta.

Hide contents

both!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Evil Organ said:

Has this zed...

A. Drank to much Franta.

Hide contents

Definitely both...I understand double tap is a rule, but still..Franta kills all...

• Haha 1

@cosmic10r @Evil Organ

Franta kills man! I saw a zed, I kid you not, he popped one, and then just fell over, I had nothing to do with it!....well maybe...kinda...yeah...I tried to stop him from drinking it, but the bullet missed the can, and ripped his head off, guess my aim is a bit off :drinking:

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Donnie_Plays said:

Content creators... do you ever get discouraged?

I used to have a popular YouTube channel and website. And it was hell.

People just wanted me to make more of the same stuff they already liked. But when you do that, they complain that it's the same. And there's a constant demand that you make more stuff for them. Don't do it. Don't try to please people, just try to please yourself and maybe others whose opinion you care about.

I used to worry about every downvote or dislike I got, before I just stopped caring. No matter what you do, no matter how well you do it, no matter how many people like it, there will always be someone who doesn't. I had a guy stalk me across multiple sites, downvoting everything I ever did. He constantly tried to pick a fight with me. Even if I did bother to engage (and absolutely destroy him, textually), he kept coming back for more. I'd never blocked anyone before, but eventually I had to do it to him. He created account after account and just kept coming back for more. Hating me seemed to be his hobby.

BigBenCrop1.jpg

I've always taken the attitude that I will help everyone who asks about anything I've made. Even when I lay out exactly what information I need to help them... even when I explain exactly how they can find that out... with pictures and step-by-step guides... I end up getting comments like "this dont work" or "I did everything you said and it didn't work". Invariably, they have screwed up by not following instructions. Even when I've created automated tools to do everything for them with a single click, they still find some way to screw it up.

These days, I've got an unsuccessful YouTube channel, where I make what I like, when I like and I'm a lot happier. The few people who like my stuff, seem to really like it. I don't even get negative comments any more. Sometimes I'll make three videos in a week. Sometimes I'll go months without making one. And generally, the stuff I'm proudest of is the stuff that attracts the least views. But heck, even in real life, I present a radio show where I play Japanese music at 9am in the morning to a rural part of the country. It's easily the least popular show on the station and I'm surprised they let me do it.

I did a radio special about Visual kei music (I would say Google it, but... yikes) recently. I got an email from a guy who was delighted that someone was playing that type of music. As a fan of Visual kei in Northumberland, he thought he was in a minority of one. And I'd made his day and exposed him to new bands he'd never heard of. That pleased me. I made a video of some dancing zombies in ArmA 2 and no one really liked it, but I got an email from one guy to say it had cured his daughter of her fear of zombies. That pleased me. One guy came to me with a DaiZy problem and I ended up talking him through fixing his computer, showed him how to build his own PC and how to legally get Windows and Office for a few dollars. That pleased me.

Being able to do something for people like them is worth more than a million guys telling me my stuff is "awesome" (and spelling it wrong). It's the little things, y'know?

You do good stuff, Donnie. Whether it's your videos, missions, Twitch streams, whatever. I've never thought anything you've done was bad. And I like you. That's rare. I know it's easy for some prick to get under your skin and make you doubt the worth of what you do, but just look at all the people who do like it. Fuck that one guy who hits the bad button. Don't forget about all the people who think the opposite. You can never make everyone happy, so don't even try. If you do, you'll find that you won't make yourself happy anyway...

Here's a long, boring story about the effects of pleasing people:

Spoiler

Some of you know I used to work in the film biz. It's a shitty industry and everyone you meet is a cheat, a bastard and a liar who will try to rob you if they can. And if you stay in it for any length of time, you become one of them. Putting money into films is the riskiest investment you can make, so the whole industry is notoriously risk-averse. Most of the films I worked on, I did just for the money. I wasn't there for a career and I wasn't an artist with a vision. The film biz is riddled with focus groups and test screenings. If you're dealing with any large company, whatever you're working on is going to be dragged through all of that. And these companies listen, really listen, to the pricks who attend such things. If one guy says he didn't like some aspect of your film, the company will multiply that by a million and demand you cater to their whim. Every interaction with executive results in them having to add something to the film. Never mind that they don't make films - as long as they have some power over the cheques, they're going to have some input.

I tried to get a film made that I actually gave a toss about. I wanted to tell the story of Sergei Krikalev. He was the cosmonaut who was up on Mir when the Soviet Union ended. He was orbiting the earth in the uniform of a country that didn't exist any more and no one knew how they were going to get him back. I wanted to make the true story of what happened to him up there. We only had a budget of a million euros (that sounds a lot, but it isn't). We came up with the idea of using real footage of Sergei on Mir. The Russians had thousands of hours of footage of him up there and I even managed to persuade the real Sergei to sign up to act out a few extra scenes. I located the engineering replica of Mir (there's always at least one copy on the ground so they can try out engineering solutions), got a script written up and drew up all the paperwork and documentation needed. But then some studios got interested.

I actually had a backup script written that gave a semi-thriller aspect to the story (parts of Mir were originally designed for military use, so it was actually plausible). If some exec was going to muck us around too much, then at least I had a more studio-friendly script in my back pocket that would make an end-run around their 'notes'. To cut a long story short (too late), I ended up working for five years on this and was no closer to getting it made in the end. The studio I was dealing with wanted to make changes to make it more "audience-friendly". They wanted to introduce a female character (and they had someone for the part). The executives kept changing (people get promoted or fired all the time) and every single one of them wanted to make changes. No one wanted to take on a project their predecessor had green-lit without changing it around to make it 'theirs'. At the end of the five years, it was now a romantic comedy. And that's when I walked away. Not just from the film, but from the whole business.

I now earn less than 5% of what I did before. I'm relatively poor. Money can be a struggle at times, and that's not good when I'm in my mid-40s. My cv looks like shit and if I can't keep my current work, I'll be stacking supermarket shelves... if I'm lucky. But I don't hate myself. And I did when I was working in the film business. I constantly had to try to make everyone happy. I had to accommodate every stupid thing that ever idiot with money wanted me to do. I had to take shit from people whilst smiling and thanking them. And I had to be mean to plenty of people who didn't deserve it. I'm glad I'm not that guy any more. Although I am slightly pissed off that I don't own a Russian Orlan D spacesuit (which was part of my contract for that fucking movie).

• Like 7

@kodabar

huh, I always wondered why your voice was perfectly fit for the ravage videos...and I have no idea what is up with it, but there is a sort of mental relief when you light a cigarette, it just makes the whole scene seem perfectly set...

• Like 1

I think its the fact that, when you light a cigarette, it kinda draws the viewer out, and allows them to see "Hey, he isn't trying to impress people so they subscribe like all these other youtubers, but that he is doing what he enjoys"

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BattleChief said:

@haleks @kodabar

Well, I sorta got an problem..I cannot find out where my script is going wrong..but I keep getting this error http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1229064240 and I have no idea how to trace it...

There is a problem with rvg_fnc_addgear and rvg_fnc_addloot. 

We are waiting for haleks to get back to us about it

4 hours ago, Chuc said:

There is a problem with rvg_fnc_addgear and rvg_fnc_addloot. 

We are waiting for haleks to get back to us about it

Ok, that makes sense, thanks, I will wait then

was wondering where i would have to add this 

call HG_fnc_aiUnitSetup

so it will work for ravage zombies and Ai modules.

It gives you money and xp for kills using HG shops script.

• Like 1

Good morning gents,

yesterday I was able to successfully implement the dog packs from JB Dog scripts into my ravage mission (yay).

Figured I should share this as not everyone might know about it since it is the only feral animal option i know about (other than the raptors) 

(Until someone will make a standalone mod extracting all the stalker monsters from the armsstalker mod ;))

This is how I updated the init.sqf, as the guide on the forum page seems to be outdated:

//if(!isServer) then {waitUntil{!isNull player}};
// **************************************************************************
// BEGIN OF JBOY DOG INIT.SQF CODE
// *************************************************************************// **************************************************************************
// Compiles all JBOY Dog scripts and initializes some settings
call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "JBOY_Dog\JBOY_DogInit.sqf";

//if jip player and not server then exit
_JIPplayer = not isServer && isNull player;
if (_JIPplayer) exitwith {};

// To spawn a feral dog pack, place a trigger on the map, and name it dogPackTrigger1.
// Then paste the code below into that trigger.
// Make trigger radius 400 x 400 (or larger...you don't want player to see pack spawn)
// Make trigger activated by anybody present
/*
_dmy=[] spawn
{
    _pos = getpos dogPackTrigger1;
    _followerDogTypes = ["Fin_blackwhite_F","Fin_ocherwhite_F","Fin_tricolour_F","Alsatian_Black_F","Alsatian_Sandblack_F"];
    _pack = [_pos, 7, "Alsatian_Sand_F", _followerDogTypes, 50] call JBOY_dogPackCreate;
};
*/
// END OF JBOY DOG INIT.SQF CODE

I use a 400m trigger as described above and it works like a charm. I would however add a sleep trigger in addition after activation, else you might end up with multiple pack spawns if you are unlucky. (happy to help with that).

Reason behind setting this up was that I wanted the woods to be more dangerous, so you would have to think about taking that shortcut through the wood twice;)

I hope this helps;)

cheers

• Like 4

Nice. I just put horde modules where I didn't want people to really go. The dogs sound like a much better idea. 

@kodabar

I'm about that age too... and really ... i was buying a lotto ticket the other day and the very nice lady in the mall looked at me and said "you never know"

I looked at her and said... I would rather be happy then rich.

She seemed kind of flabbergasted by that...

I have had a few philosophies in life... and one of them is...

When you are making other people happy you generally aren't making yourself happy...

With limited exceptions like family and friends.. That 5#it you just gotta put up with..  LOL

• Like 2

@cosmic10r

Hey, only 3 things guaranteed in this life...Birth, death, and taxes...

Besides that, I am curious, we got a work around for the _addgear script? cause the ravage _addgear functions seem to be a bit screwed up..The _adduniform seems to be the main problem on mine...besides that, It spawns a vanilla gun to the game...

Hurray! I have gone ahead and done some little things here and there, and until the tiny problems get fixed, I guess my new mission will have to stay the way it is...Now, it is winter 2035 compatible,  neither season will affect gameplay too much... 

• Like 3

@Chuc @BattleChief

the addloot and gear do work... Im home sick today so i had a look

There are two considerations that I can see.

1)

It is NOT working in a units init because it pulls the lists from the loot module or ravage initialisation... 

It cant do it because on init the lists havent been created yet. It takes the PC a second or two to generate those and a units init doesnt account for that

2)

The object needs to be in an array.

Its working via script right now... (the addgear works on trigger but not the addloot)

Ill post the demo mission in a bit here

Im not sure addweapon works but i could check that too.

edit - Addweapon works... but it only checks if you have one and if you do it won't change it... it only adds them if you dont already have one so it may appear to not be working depending on how you use it.

• Like 4