3 hours ago, Caleblink said:

@haleks sorry for another question but will base building become a thing eventually?:h:

Yes, no, sort-of, maybe, maybe not.

Base-building has always been a bit tricky. Whilst it seems relatively straightforward to add base elements, you also have to consider path-finding. Zombies wander about relatively easily, but when it comes to objects, how do you make zombies walk around them, into them or over them? Effectively, each map has an invisible network of paths that zombies follow in order to navigate around obstacles. When you start adding base-building, the navigation mesh that the zombies use doesn't 'know' anything about the base elements you've added, so the zombies walk straight through them. Ouch. Making changes to the navigation mesh is difficult and not something you can really mod in very easily.

People ask about base-building quite often and it's clear that it is something that a significant number of players would like, but it's difficult to implement and comes with a host of hidden problems (saving, for example). Ravage is a mod framework rather than a mission or a stand-alone mod. Adding base-building is complicated and will require custom solutions for each map, so it's an awful lot of work to make something that's not going to work in quite the way you would like.

Someone recently came up with a suggestion that you shouldn't be building a base from scratch, rather fortifying existing buildings. That seems much more realistic and would be easier to implement, but would still take a lot of time that would not then be spent on other elements.

So yeah, whilst I'm sure we'd all like some base-building (whether in a limited or fuller fashion) to be included, it's more work than you'd think (you can't just slap a separate base-building mod in there and have it work properly) and it's probably of less use than you might imagine. I don't think Haleks is going to be adding base-building any time soon.

• Like 6

@kodabar I appreciate the feedback and I understand stand that it takes a lot of time to do that but it would be nice to add it although the zombies do just walk through walls and scare the mess out of me. Also I like your video that you did on The Unseen mission it looks really good but too bad they removed the espm exo mod due to copyright 

Ah the good old base building, would be awesome but I'd bet a serious amount of work to implement.

Modifications to existing structures; very cool idea!  Maybe coupled with a half arsed crafting system, "salvage X amount of cars" enables you to "Build barriers" of some sort heh.

Since there is no base building and thanks to the Mod community around here I have plenty to keep my imagination pegged.

What I do to compensate and fulfill my desire to have a "base" is task my self with various imaginative missions to accrue some basics needed for a base/camp.

1: I have to save 10 survivors ( across maybe multiple play sessions). For every 10 I save, I get 1 squad AI added via editor. Sometimes I'll make them non squad Blufor and they end up garrisoning my camp.

2: I'd salvage/loot the crap out of things for days ( ingame days hah) 20 tool boxes and 15 tires = simple structure of some sort. Fuel, ammo, clothing all had some sort of play in my pretend pool of building stuff.

3: Bank notes. Most I ever had was 176ish... that was a lot of looting haha. These Bank notes also allowed me to keep my previously recruited survivors, 50 bank notes bought them and prevented me from having to find 10.

4: My game has turned into "how many bank notes can I collect (multiple play sessions) before I get ghosted by some Bandit or unknowingly bump into a couple zombies and get chomped.

5: There's more to it but it isn't set in stone and plays on my whim and imagination as I go.

6: Oh and I try to collect food for all the AI I have at my base... sometimes they get a can of beans a day, Zombie Apocs suck, eat what u can haha.

If an AI squady or base garrison dude gets killed, that's it I need to work on replacing him

So I have been doing this for months, I think my self derived RAVAGE mission progress is now on OP24 ( means I have altered, moved location or added to the mission in some way 24 times)

The story I play to is a Genetically modified Virus outbreak created by CSAT ( shallow but I had to have the milspec equipment, that's how I roll).

CSAT runs the upper NW corner of the map. I put big garrisoned checkpoints at all the roads leading to Oreokastro out in the mountains. Hard to get to and Dynamic simulation patrols all over so I dont play up there at all really lol.

My timeline around 22 days after the official local Gov has fallen apart - 32 days after the first infections - 11 days after NATO/UN relief efforts got overrun. Mayhem has about given way to just zombies and the opportunistic Bandit groups but there are still plenty of Civs running about ( Thanks TPW ), makes for a great time.

I have everything set to hostile, this isn't so I can shoot Civs...it is so I have to make damn sure I know what I am shooting at before sending some love down range.

In essence I have a base now. I took up a position at 124.75, 151.95 South of Lakka, at the deserted Military camp on the hill. And I must say this place is pure Joypuke fun.

the Hill has a town to the North, East and South of it followed by a chain of them heading SW around Katalaki Bay. Makes for a hectic play session of "ohshit bandits and Zeds everywhere".

Vehicles; I love APCs and Helicopters ( Gorgon, Madris, Kajman yumm) so early on I decided that if I wanted to play this Zombie survivor game as a trained military task force Aegis dude and have toys... I'd have to collect the APC at location X some how, get gas, repair it and get it to camp.  This sounds easy but you cant just do that in one play session, so you end up doing it several times until you get the damn thing home, very rewarding. Fuel; I had to steel a Fuel truck, worst play session ever as I found out quickly that evading a toyota laden with a M2A1 50 cal is not going to happen.

My mission is to save survivors

Holy wow this is a total text spew of a mess sorry, welp there you go, me gaming in a nut shell =P

This is the result of Haleks hard work hahah, too much friggin fun!

TL;DR We can make our own bases in Editor for now but would it be possible to have a RAVAGE module that in its very simplest form spat out a random supply need every so often?

Examples: Your base is low on fuel - collect X-, Your base is low on Ammo, food, building supplies...and so on

Another module could maybe once a game day ( adjustable if desired) pop up a message "Rumored survivors at/around location X"

• Like 2

any possibility of having zombies climb over fences and stuff?

3 minutes ago, Caluu66x said:

any possibility of having zombies climb over fences and stuff?

A long time ago I offered bad benson grapes of his choice and a milk bath if he could come up with such a thing.....he's still to get back to me.

It's either impossible, or maybe I just came on too strong. :tounge_o:

• Like 4

@Caluu66x I don't remember any zombies climbing over walls but they will climb up ladders

• Like 1

Hmmm, question for anyone... Zombies walk up to vehicles, but not through them.  Vehicles are movable objects.  How does this work?? 

Question, could the ravage zombies attack vehicles too? i feel sitting in a broken car with zombies surrounding it standing there kinda awkward, any chance they could damage and eventually destory the vehicles? please.

also, could anyone please direct me to where i could add weapons to other survivers?  Like im gonna try the Red Hammer mods, like the russian and american mod they created, how do i get the guns and other things to spawn in the game? im sure its been said before in these 200+ pages. Perhaps have the guns and other things spawn in the loot. thank you.

5 minutes ago, Caluu66x said:

Question, could the ravage zombies attack vehicles too? i feel sitting in a broken car with zombies surrounding it standing there kinda awkward, any chance they could damage and eventually destory the vehicles? please.

also, could anyone please direct me to where i could add weapons to other survivers?  Like im gonna try the Red Hammer mods, like the russian and american mod they created, how do i get the guns and other things to spawn in the game? im sure its been said before in these 200+ pages. Perhaps have the guns and other things spawn in the loot. thank you.

I don't think they can cause zombies have attack my vehicle no damage happens to it 

15 minutes ago, Caluu66x said:

Hey Caluu,

You'll need to place down the Equipment Pool module, from there you can click on any of the supported mod tabs, you can then choose whether to spawn weapons, equipment or both. 

• Like 1

Just now, Evil Organ said:

Hey Caluu,

You'll need to place down the Equipment Pool module, from there you can click on any of the supported mod tabs, you can then choose whether to spawn weapons, equipment or both. 

oh derp i tottally forgot tht the module already had this function, now i feel dumb, thnks! :D

21 hours ago, Caluu66x said:

+1

22 hours ago, Caluu66x said:

Not sure how easy that would be to implement, id imagine some scripting or eventhandlers would be needed. 

well i played around with ryans zombies and demons a bit, those zombies attack vehicles and air vehicles, they can also throw vehicles, which i didnt like but could be toggled through the modules, perhaps Haleks could ask permission on how it was done so we may have our zombies attack cars and tanks and planes and such? would LOVE to see this in Ravage. did i say LOVE big enough? LOL

thanks guys/gals.

That would be a nice feature, BUT maybe its better to wait and see what can Haleks fix and add to the mod in the next update. (As he said previously he doesn't have too much time to work on the mod because of the lack of free time)

• Like 2

I have some kind of stupid questions about the module usage and mission making stuff  if someone wouldn't mind.

I never played Arma 1, 2 or 2 OA. I'm making a mission on Chernarus Isles. For the Loot module, what buildings do I use? Is yes to several acceptable? I'm assuming I need A2 set to yes. But what about 2 OA? Or 1? I have no idea if Chernarus or Utes uses buildings from anything other than A2. Can I just put "yes" for everything if I'm not sure?

In the safe zones, does that module manually place a safe zone within the radius of the module itself? Will safe zones spawn if I don't use the module?

Does anyone have any decent settings for the junk loot? Something similar to what Haleks would use in his missions?

Bandits and friendlies spawn randomly around the map just by placing the ambient AI module and keeping the default settings, correct?

Lastly, let's say I have some gear I don't want to lose but don't want to carry. Is there a safe method of leaving it somewhere? Are objects placed on the ground saved in SP? I'm assuming containers are a bad idea because I'd guess those replenish. Where is a good place to leave stuff?

4 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

I never played Arma 1, 2 or 2 OA. I'm making a mission on Chernarus Isles. For the Loot module, what buildings do I use? Is yes to several acceptable? I'm assuming I need A2 set to yes. But what about 2 OA? Or 1? I have no idea if Chernarus or Utes uses buildings from anything other than A2. Can I just put "yes" for everything if I'm not sure?

Haven't tried Chernarus Isles, but since Chernarus and Utes are both vanilla maps for A2 they are probably using the vanilla buildings as well.

In the safe zones, does that module manually place a safe zone within the radius of the module itself? Will safe zones spawn if I don't use the module?

I would say yes, you set the radius for it and the module is the center of the safe zone. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Does anyone have any decent settings for the junk loot? Something similar to what Haleks would use in his missions?

Best way to get the amount from each type of loot you want is to test it in the editor (at least IMO). Here is mine, not so hardcore but does the trick:

Spoiler

Normal loot:

Vital: 8 //maybe lower it if you want to struggle :D

Weapons: 9

Ammo: 12 //because of the variety of mags

Clothes: 20

Backpack: 7

Static loot: //these affect the normal loot: higher amount of static loot means lower amount of normal loot

Vital: 4

Weapons: 0 //no weapons spawn in junk, who would throw away guns into the junk?? :P

Ammo: 2

Clothes: 15

Bandits and friendlies spawn randomly around the map just by placing the ambient AI module and keeping the default settings, correct?

Yes.

Lastly, let's say I have some gear I don't want to lose but don't want to carry. Is there a safe method of leaving it somewhere? Are objects placed on the ground saved in SP? I'm assuming containers are a bad idea because I'd guess those replenish. Where is a good place to leave stuff?

Last time I played SP even the position of the AI was saved so I think if you put your gear in a car or so, and you save, next time it would be probably in there. (I would repeat myself: best way to find out is to test in the editor)

• Like 1

On 2017-06-13 at 6:19 PM, Caleblink said:

@haleks sorry for another question but will base building become a thing eventually?:h:

i just use the editor, make wht i want and have to find it or make myself spawn into it. lol i play single player.

2 hours ago, Caluu66x said:

i just use the editor, make wht i want and have to find it or make myself spawn into it. lol i play single player.

Ok thank you and I usually setup survivor camps, bandit camps, and containment centers on my missions. 

12 minutes ago, Caleblink said:

Ok thank you and I usually setup survivor camps, bandit camps, and containment centers on my missions. 

Any of your missions been released or published?

5 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

Any of your missions been released or published?

No not yet and my steam profile is private and I don't think my missions wouldn't be any good cause my are just basic but if you want me to, I will but I'll have to work on tasks and scripts but I'll try to upload them

Another question guys why doesn't the vehicle module spawn helicopters like it does in the demo mission but it might be there because Haleks might of added them to the airbases but any help would be great 

• Like 1