Well most users won't rent a server TBH. What about a guide that includes the free dedicated server tool for Arma? TADST.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/101123-tophes-arma-dedicated-server-tool-tadst/

Or, just a guide for getting saves and stuff to work through LAN if that's a possible option.

I'd imagine people that rent servers *probably* wouldn't need the guide.

• Like 1

@heroesandvilliansos......

I need the help of someone who has set up a Ravage server to talk me through the best way of doing it. Could someone help me out with this? I should probably also cover setting up a hosted game too. I just need your help to fill in a few notes about where to put files, etc.

So I posted what is required for a dedicated server, the fact that it's rented is an irrelevance. 

As you use the TADST tool yourself, why don't you post a guide here so we can cover all the bases......and "people that rent servers" DO need guides....I needed a few myself.  :P

• Like 1

@heroesandvilliansos......So I posted what is required for a dedicated server, the fact that it's rented is an irrelevance.

As you use the TADST tool yourself, why don't you post a guide here so we can cover all the bases......and "people that rent servers" DO need guides....I needed a few myself. :P

Here's a link which should get someone started. It's catered a bit towards ALiVE and would need to be cleaned up a bit for the official wiki but should cover all the steps someone would need to at least get TADST setup properly. It's written by Brawler with additional links included by me. https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187954-alive-advanced-light-infantry-virtual-environment-10-ga/page-16#entry3005833

The Ravage stuff I really have no clue about which is why I'd like the guide too. :)

• Like 1

Speaking of servers are there any public dedicated servers running ravage?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Dedicated_Server

Thats the offical Arma 3 Dedi Server HowTo.

It covers all steps needed to setup a server, even on another PC without Steam preinstalled.

Worked fine on my Laptop, that i now use to host the server.

I have a stupid question about a dedicated server.

That link you posted states you need " windows 2008 or later" .   Windows 2008 is a windows server version.   Does that mean that you have to have a server version installed, or can you use any version of windows (home, pro, etc) ?    ie. can you use windows 7 or 10 as the os for the dedicated server?

Hope my question makes sense.

Thanks,

Fire

Here's a link which should get someone started. It's catered a bit towards ALiVE and would need to be cleaned up a bit for the official wiki but should cover all the steps someone would need to at least get TADST setup properly. It's written by Brawler with additional links included by me. https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/187954-alive-advanced-light-infantry-virtual-environment-10-ga/page-16#entry3005833

The Ravage stuff I really have no clue about which is why I'd like the guide too. :)

Hey guys, it just occurred to me that with today's Difficulty Overhaul update TADST may or may not need to be updated to reflect the new changes we can make to server difficulty.

I'm honestly not sure how that is supposed to work.

Does anyone smarter than me here use TADST have any idea about that?

• Like 1

Great. The new 1.58 update to ArmA 3 has broken lots of things, especially servers. So I'll have to hold off on this for a bit. Thank you for all the help though.

I'm not really using my ArmA server at the moment, so once things are back up and running again, I'll set it up as an open server for the good folks on here.

• Like 2

Does that mean that you have to have a server version installed, or can you use any version of windows (home, pro, etc) ?    ie. can you use windows 7 or 10 as the os for the dedicated server?

The simple answer is that you need a server version of Windows.

The long answer is that you can potentially use other versions, but it's not a good idea and it may be difficult to determine which versions you can use. For instance, one of the differences between Windows 7 Home and Windows 7 Professional is that Home lacks Remote Desktop (it can run the client, but not the server - so a Windows 7 Home system can use Remote Desktop to connect to a Windows 7 Professional system, but not vice versa).

The Server editions of Windows are designed to be used on servers. The desktop versions of Windows are designed to be run on desktops. They may look similar, but they are quite different 'under the hood'. Generally the server versions have extended network functionality and support for server and network hardware. They also lack many of the 'features' of the desktop versions. There's no Media Player stuff on the Server version, for instance. So if you try to use a desktop version of Windows in place of a Server version, it will usually run more slowly and it may fail to connect to networking hardware properly.

• Like 1

Thank you, that actually clears a lot up. I've been renting an ARMA server for about 6 or 7 years, and I finally have enough hardware laying around to tackle my own dedicated server, just lacking the server 2008 software. So, I may go ahead and move forward with the dedicated. Tired of paying rent...

Apologies for getting off topic.

Great. The new 1.58 update to ArmA 3 has broken lots of things, especially servers. So I'll have to hold off on this for a bit. Thank you for all the help though.

I'm not really using my ArmA server at the moment, so once things are back up and running again, I'll set it up as an open server for the good folks on here.

Sorry Kodabar but you are a much smarter man than I.

Does TADST need an update now with 1.58 or no?

Can't remember BIS making changes like this before so first timer here.

So there is a weird bug I am having.. On MP half the people that play with me cant hear gunshots, so we switched to another host and now the other half of us cant hear the gunshots. Does anyone have a fix for this?

So there is a weird bug I am having.. On MP half the people that play with me cant hear gunshots, so we switched to another host and now the other half of us cant hear the gunshots. Does anyone have a fix for this?

I've had that exact problem when using RHUSAF ans RHAFRF mod. Never figured out why. Have tried different versions and always have the issue.

Might not be the reason for you, but you may look at what other addons you're using.

I've had that exact problem when using RHUSAF ans RHAFRF mod. Never figured out why. Have tried different versions and always have the issue.

Might not be the reason for you, but you may look at what other addons you're using.

Im one of the friends, we have tried switching to Massis gear instead and same results, we believe its something with this mods, possibly has something to do with the MP modules like persistency

we had that problem when doing the internal pre release tests too. i can't remember what exactly fixed it but i think it was simply due to version mismatch. just make sure everyone has the exact same and fully updated versions. for RHS run the updater bat files and for CUP use the arma 3 launcher.

That link you posted states you need " windows 2008 or later" .   Windows 2008 is a windows server version.   Does that mean that you have to have a server version installed, or can you use any version of windows (home, pro, etc) ?    ie. can you use windows 7 or 10 as the os for the dedicated server?

Thanks,

Fire

The long answer is that you can potentially use other versions, but it's not a good idea and it may be difficult to determine which versions you can use. For instance, one of the differences between Windows 7 Home and Windows 7 Professional is that Home lacks Remote Desktop (it can run the client, but not the server - so a Windows 7 Home system can use Remote Desktop to connect to a Windows 7 Professional system, but not vice versa).

The Server editions of Windows are designed to be used on servers. The desktop versions of Windows are designed to be run on desktops. They may look similar, but they are quite different 'under the hood'. Generally the server versions have extended network functionality and support for server and network hardware. They also lack many of the 'features' of the desktop versions. There's no Media Player stuff on the Server version, for instance. So if you try to use a desktop version of Windows in place of a Server version, it will usually run more slowly and it may fail to connect to networking hardware properly.

Thank you, that actually clears a lot up. I've been renting an ARMA server for about 6 or 7 years, and I finally have enough hardware laying around to tackle my own dedicated server, just lacking the server 2008 software. So, I may go ahead and move forward with the dedicated. Tired of paying rent...

Apologies for getting off topic.

From my experience it seems to be simply meant as an timeline. So if you are running a Windows version thats newer than Win 2008 (server), including Windows 7, you are fine.

Remote Desktop is an non issue as you can use other remote access software for that.

The "real" advantage/gain of the server versions (for ArmA needs) is that it can handle more simultanous network connections, supports more CPU cores and more RAM as the client versions of the OS. However that becomes only important if you want to host missions with more than 64 or 128 players. In this case you will also need an really fast AND wide internet upload rate to handle that amount of players.

edit: typo

Edited by na_palm
  • Like 3

Hey guys, here is a Ravage server open to the great unwashed, hosted by myself, details in the spoiler.....

Server name - A Ravage Server

Password - whiteplague (any asshats that join can be traced back to hear)

Battleye - No
Mods required - Ravage, RHS, CUP terrains complete (mission runs on Chernarus_Summer)

Mission - Survival mission, no end goal other than live another day!
Features - Random air drops, bandit camps, heli crash sites and last but not least....

Bad Benson Temperature system (ties in with the Ravage survival system)

You start in the 36.5C range and 37C is Max
once you are under 34C you have shakes and under 32C your overall Health will decrease.

Warm up by fires!
Get overhead shelter to slow temperature drop!
Matches and fire are very essential to your survival.
If you have paper and matches then you can heat yourself. Under cover is better.
Fear the ran....If it rains your temp drops faster.. get to cover.
Fires will also heal health once you are warm enough.

Finally, if there are any issues, PLEASE don't post them in the main Ravage thread, just give me a PM here on the forum.

Most of all just have some fun....Life's to short not too!

• Like 4

Thanks,

Fire

You can run a dedicated server on any modern version of windows. The wiki link says Windows 2008 *and up.* It just wouldn't work with older versions of Windows like 2000, 98, ME, 95, 3.1, etc.

XP, Vista, 8, 8.1, 10, server, etc all work.

• Like 1

I think I covered all this when I said:

The long answer is that you can potentially use other versions, but it's not a good idea and it may be difficult to determine which versions you can use.

The Wiki says Windows 2008 or later for the sake of simplicity. It does actually mean Windows Server 2008 or a later version of Windows Server (2012 or the upcoming 2016)  - it doesn't mean "any version of Windows after 2008".

You can indeed use other versions of Windows; for instance, you can use Windows XP, even though it pre-dates Server 2008 by several years. But not all flavours of Windows are equal. You wouldn't want to use Windows 7 Starter or Windows 7 Home Basic, for instance.  I only mentioned Remote Desktop as an example of the differences between flavours of Windows, not to suggest that it was necessary for the administration of an ArmA 3 server. 

Anyway, the long and the short of it is that if you use Windows Server 2008 or later, then you won't have any problems due to the Windows you're using. Using an actual server version of Windows isn't absolutely necessary, depending on the complexity of the server you're creating and the number of network connections it's likely to have to make. If the server is going to be a spare PC that's located in your house and it's just going to be a couple of friends using it, then sure you can get by with a more basic version of Windows. But realise that Bohemia only intend for it to be used on Windows Server and they only support that. It may (and indeed does) work on other versions of Windows (depending on your needs), but it may not always be so.

Anyway, we've all now answered the question in the most comprehensive manner possible, so let's get back to talking about Ravage itself.
  • Like 2

Kodabar I agree that this should steer back into Ravage talk but no one has answered how to set up the server which was the inital discussion and IMO pretty relevant. Unless it's been added to the wiki in which case disregard this post.

• Like 1

Evil Organ gave a pretty good answer on setting up a server. I'll be writing something for the wiki in due course. Sadly, the release of ArmA 3 1.58 caused a few problems (it screwed up my server in an annoying manner), so it's delayed things. It's slightly difficult to write up a guide as some server hosts allow direct access, whereas others do it through a web interface that may have restricted options. It's a bit fiddly trying to distil it into a simple one-page guide that won't leave people scratching their heads.

Any advice, tips, experience or anecdotes most welcome. I've only set up Ravage multiplayer through one server host and I'm about to try another (when they've switched over to 1.58).

you guys should consider opening up a PM thread and invite everyone who's interested. setting up a Ravage server is, afaik, not really different from setting up a server with mods in general. you can collect all the resources you find and make there. or maybe just an open thread in the multiplayer section.

• Like 1

I've set up a server that you're all free to play on. I'm not making mention of this elsewhere, so it's just for you chaps. If it crashes or something goes disastrously wrong, send me an email (kodabarATgmailDOTcom) or hit me up on Steam, Skype, etc (my username is always kodabar).

Server name: kodabar
Password: rav

IP address: 46.251.234.194
Port: 21200
Maximum players: 4

Required mods: Ravage, CBA
Automatic restart time: 03:28am GMT
Map: Altis

It's running The Escape by Bad Benson, Evil Organ, Tourist and CosmiC.
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/189683-mp-ravage-coop-6-the-escape/

• Like 5

Hey Haleks do you think you can add support for napf buildings?(there is a bug where vehicles spawn inside the ground and explode instantly), there is also no loot in the custom napf buildings