great. that sounds awesome.

also: may or may not include....... just say yes or no. i absolutely hate when people say that. it's either it will include new stuff or not.

I'm not holding anything back because I only know that missions or base building or full blown story or whatever you can dream of really aren't set in stone by Haleks right now.

Not only does he need to choose a direction to take the mod in, but he also needs to see if any of these things are really possible with not only his scripting abilities (which are excellent) but the engine as well.

What I meant to say was that I think his upcoming vacation is a time for him to not only relax, but to ponder and reflect.

Ravage could go in any of a million different paths. If I were him I'd want to reflect and rest too.

More will be known eventually. That's really all there is to it right now. I'm sure suggestions for where you'd like to see Ravage go are more than welcome!

• Like 1

I'm not holding anything back because I only know that missions or base building or full blown story or whatever you can dream of really aren't set in stone by Haleks right now.

Not only does he need to choose a direction to take the mod in, but he also needs to see if any of these things are really possible with not only his scripting abilities (which are excellent) but the engine as well.

What I meant to say was that I think his upcoming vacation is a time for him to not only relax, but to ponder and reflect.

Ravage could go in any of a million different paths. If I were him I'd want to reflect and rest too.

More will be known eventually. That's really all there is too it right now. I'm sure suggestions for where you'd like to see Ravage go are more than welcome!

well for one thing. it seems on altis (default ravage map) i just can't find food or water. i find them on people i kill sparingly. this needs to be upped by a factor of like 10. (exaggeration but well it's needed)

While on the subject of the future, I decided to pick up State of Decay (and binge watch Walking Dead season 5 LOL!) and in the process, trying to see if I can come up with any wishes for the future of this brilliant mod.

So far I agree with my brother about SoD...Ravage is already better. :)

I'm not looking into these things because I want anyone to copy anything, but more or less because I want to see what some of the common themes about post apocolyptic narratives are. What do they have in common? What are the things people need to do when society as we know it ceases to exist. What do they desired when almost everyone they know is gone? What about these specific games/shows keep us as the viewer/player interested in following the ride?

Ravage is in a unique position because it could literally turn into anything. And I look forward to seeing what that ultimately is (realizing what it will become will probably be a very long time from now).

• Like 1

well for one thing. it seems on altis (default ravage map) i just can't find food or water. i find them on people i kill sparingly. this needs to be upped by a factor of like 10. (exaggeration but well it's needed)

I haven't been lucky enough to find water yet (like a lake, etc). Have you tried filling an empty can with water to see if you can drink? That mechanic is already in now, right?

Hey,

Yeah I've seen people reporting that with various mods since the Nexus update.

I am myself experiencing some very annoying framerate issues since 1.54, but no crash for now.

What are your PC specs? I'm under the impression that this happens with mods spawning a lot of objects/threads.

Oh, nice, so that's probably a fact of Nexus update and lot of spawning objects.

Specs :

BeQuiet ! Pure Power L8-730W CM 80 Plus Bronze

ASUS B85 Pro-Gamer

Intel Core i5 4570 3.20Ghz

16 Go RAM

NVidia GeForce GTX970 Phantom 4Gb VRAM

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bits

System : Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500Go

Stockage : WD Green Desktop 1To S-ATA 6Gb/s

So, if we load a map with too many objects, we have a chance to have this issue.

I'll try it tomorrow, with my version with only mods (ACE, etc...) and I'll try to load the map with many objects and see if the issue appear.

Well I don't want to play the policeman; let's say posts about community missions should be limited to "mission vx.x is out! Check it out here : <thread link here>".

Announcements about futur changes and changelogs should be limited to the mission thread, to avoid any confusion with the mod.

In general, I don't mind people posting news about this or that project, but let's keep it to a minimum maybe.

Thanks man for these words.  My intention was purely to hype players about your mod with some different play styles.  Everyone has their own, and i want people to see that.  Cosmic and I will be sure to keep further updates in the other thread as shared.

With the different missions, i also think you can benefit from peoples ideas and requests if you feel to do so and expand the MOD further.  Anyways, keep up the great work, the community appreciates you sharing it with us.

• Like 1

I haven't been lucky enough to find water yet (like a lake, etc). Have you tried filling an empty can with water to see if you can drink? That mechanic is already in now, right?

There are wells in citys, and look for those black containers (water barrels?)  They also store water...  Water is pretty easy to come across which is nice.

since last update, you have choice of various food in tins (some tins are rusty and looks like the  empty can... pay attention to this.

it is the same,n some look like new cans are empty to .

but those cans can be use to drink to several water sources (that can be depleted after several uses)

in the meantime, food in cans cannot be eaten if you don't have a can opener.

since I play RAVAGE I never have any matter to find food (in loot or on killed guys) 

and water is no more a problem, there are plenty of water sources in each towns and villages, just keep in mind you can refill water in your empty canteen or bottles.

here are several water sources you can find (click on each name to be directed to Arma wiki page of each item . all listed sources below have been tested working in the missions I played))

fountain

800px-Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_Water_sourc

water stall

800px-Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_StallWater_

water barrel

800px-Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_WaterBarrel

water tank

800px-Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_WaterTank_F

for the last one, I'm not 100% sure if I already used it to refill water, I think I did, need to check this info

Plastic water barrel

800px-Arma3_CfgVehicles_Land_BarrelWater

you can find them everywhere on the whole island, in towns, villages and even close to some slum houses....

hope this helps

there are also purification tablet to help with dirty and irradiated water. (if I undestood right...)

Haleks is also implementing a "hunting" function to eat from killed animals, you'll need fire source and a knife to gut animals. (this function has some minors bugs at the first glance  after Arma 3 1.54 update)

• Like 4

Wow, Rsoftokz. This helps me a lot. Thank you.

Some kind person (that's not Haleks...I'm sure he's busy enough as it is) that knows the mechanics well should really compile a complete guide once the foundation is done. I keep learning new ways to interact with Ravage and I've been playing it for quite some time.

there are some easy rules to follow : ( only speaking survival)

-loot every house in each place you go to have the necessary to survive:

-one weapon with proper ammos

-empty bottle or canteen or can .

-tin opener

-the biggest backpack you can find

-the biggest container vest you can find

-the best uniform you can find ( size of container + the look you want to have... sometimes you'll need to make an hard choice.)

-drink each time you can with refilled water to be closest to 100% when you leave the water source 

-eat when you can but wait to be between 75% max and 50% min.*

-look around you, observe, understand, act .

-once you have enough firepower, engage squads and bandits before they spot you. be patient enought to ambush them. mosqt of time the last of them will run away.

-if you ear gunfights, someone is making the job for you: killing other guys you will search on for stuff later. if you see the last guy standing, kill him or let it go.

for Ravage mechanics:

most of actions are made by opening the inventory and double click on the item to use.
some combinaisons are required to achieve action:

-paper source (bank notes, clipboard, paper files) + boxe of matches to set a fire place (I guess you can light  an existant fire place with only matches... need Haleks confirmation )
-killed animal + knife to gut meat

-meat+ fire place to eat

-empty bottle or canteen + water source toi refill water (water source can be depleted after several refills)

-empty can + water source to drink directly to the water source

-hose and canister to syphon cars

there are certainly others comments to do... but there are the most important I can tell for now.

* IRL you can survive 2~3 weeks with the very minimum of things to eat..... but you can die within 3 hours if you don't drink in certain condition. lifespan of common human without drinking is maximum 3 days.
I'm not certain Haleks scripted RAVAGE this way, not even sure it can be done (certainly with excellent scripting skills , and he have those skills) but it would be really excellent you can survive without eating longer than if you don't drink...
but as we told in RAVAGE now, it is easier to drink than to eat.... for now. 

• Like 2

If anyone feels like getting their snow on, the master Von Quest updated Spookwarcom today including a random chance of snow function in his C.O.R.E. module.

Just me, C.O.R.E. and Chernerus Winter in the Editor right now and so far it's nice. And really easy to apply. I think this could play nicely with the Ravage modules.

I would categorize it as a "light" snow, and I'm not sure if it ever increases to crazy intensity (I will pester him, trust me :) ), but for how easy it is to install, it's a no brainier.

Check it out: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/176453-spookwarcom-darker-immersion-spec-ops-gameplay/

• Like 2

Hey,

-once you have enough firepower, engage squads and bandits before they spot you. be patient enought to ambush them. mosqt of time the last of them will run away.

Since the beginning, we just can have a MP-443 and one or two magazines.

It's a little too short.

Especially when we say that there is one or sometimes two patrols of four hostile survivors coming to the starting point.

For that, if you spawn close to a structure, get in, organize yourself, and wait for spotting the hostile survivors.

Let them come closer to be able to engage and neutralize them faster as you can.

Then after that, just loot them, and you can have a rifle with some ammo at the beginning.

If anyone feels like getting their snow on, the master Von Quest updated Spookwarcom today including a random chance of snow function in his C.O.R.E. module.

Just me, C.O.R.E. and Chernerus Winter in the Editor right now and so far it's nice. And really easy to apply. I think this could play nicely with the Ravage modules.

I would categorize it as a "light" snow, and I'm not sure if it ever increases to crazy intensity (I will pester him, trust me :) ), but for how easy it is to install, it's a no brainier.

Check it out: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/176453-spookwarcom-darker-immersion-spec-ops-gameplay/

I just played Ravage with this. Just added the snow effect. I think its pretty damn cool, it almost feels more like nuclear fallout then snow. Fits the theme pretty well.

• Like 1

The relevance of this post in this thread is......there is no relevance, (except for the fact Ravage now supports hunting) but it's interesting and cool all the same.......

• Like 1

waitUntil {!isNil "rvg_gearlist"};
	{
	0 = rvg_mainWeapons pushBack _x; //civilians weapons
	} 
forEach ["hlc_rifle_RU556",
"hlc_rifle_RU5562",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727_GL",
"hlc_rifle_bcmjack",
"hlc_rifle_Bushmaster300",
"hlc_rifle_vendimus",
"hlc_rifle_SAMR",
"hlc_rifle_honeybase",
"hlc_rifle_honeybadger"];
	{
	0 = rvg_Weapons pushBack _x; // military weapons
	} 
"hlc_rifle_RU5562",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727_GL",
"hlc_rifle_bcmjack",
"hlc_rifle_vendimus",
"hlc_rifle_SAMR",
"hlc_rifle_honeybase",
	{
	0 = rvg_Items pushBack _x; // accessories 
	} 
forEach ["hlc_muzzle_556NATO_KAC",
"hlc_muzzle_300blk_KAC"];

copy and paste the script  at the end of ther init file of your mission (you might delete somes from lists if you want them to be only civilians grade (more common) or military grade (less common)

this will add weapons (and magazines automaticly ) and items to the spawned Bandits, renegades and Survivors you'll meet on your way.

kill the guys, or wait for factions guys to kill them all each other and pick up your needs on bodies.

this is far the more realistic way to make a mission "survival style" as IRL you'll certainly have this only way to have something.

you'll need to move, to roam all island to cross the path of squads and renegades.

:)

Ok, but where do I find that mission init file? I looked into @Ravage folder and addons inside it, but it aint there.

Ok, but where do I find that mission init file? I looked into @Ravage folder and addons inside it, but it aint there.

That would be in the mission.pbo and not the Ravage pbo

Could I please also respectfully request that people post code in a spoiler. The  same piece of code has been pasted, quoted and repasted many many times.

The relevance of this post in this thread is......there is no relevance, (except for the fact Ravage now supports hunting) but it's interesting and cool all the same.......

Damn, if only animal behaviour wasn't completely useless in Arma3... <_<

• Like 4

Haleks, if I remember correctly I think I read that the upcoming arma3 map is going to have far less enterable buildings. Is this still what they plan on doing?

It seems if they decide to stay on that path, its really going to impact survival style mods.

Haleks, if I remember correctly I think I read that the upcoming arma3 map is going to have far less enterable buildings. Is this still what they plan on doing?

It seems if they decide to stay on that path, its really going to impact survival style mods.

This is where a few preconfigured vital items boxs and having wrecks spawn with random loot would be helpful. 

I'm Trying to add ETG crash drop for a bit more loot as well.

I was thinking we need a few bandit camp compositions to place down or to spawn.

I was also wondering if it would be feasible to spawn loot container beside unentereable buldings... like the sacks that spawn. 

These are things we can do in the meantime until Haleks develops his system. And once hunting works that will really help too.

Just some random thoughts... I'm working on something for the ports that may help a lot.

I don't know; I'm not really following the news on Tanoa as I don't plan to buy the expansion at the moment.

My guess is that they're going this way to save on performances : having huge towns with all enterable buildings is what really kills the framerate on Altis (in my experience anyway).

I don't think it will impact survival mods/missions that much; we've seen plenty of those back in Arma1 & 2, and those games never had a lot of those buildings to begin with.

waitUntil {!isNil "rvg_gearlist"};
	{
	0 = rvg_mainWeapons pushBack _x; //civilians weapons
	} 
"hlc_rifle_RU5562",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727_GL",
"hlc_rifle_bcmjack",
"hlc_rifle_vendimus",
"hlc_rifle_SAMR",
"hlc_rifle_honeybase",
	{
	0 = rvg_Weapons pushBack _x; // military weapons
	} 
"hlc_rifle_RU5562",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727",
"hlc_rifle_Colt727_GL",
"hlc_rifle_bcmjack",
"hlc_rifle_vendimus",
"hlc_rifle_SAMR",
"hlc_rifle_honeybase",
	{
	0 = rvg_Items pushBack _x; // accessories 
	} 
forEach ["hlc_muzzle_556NATO_KAC",
"hlc_muzzle_300blk_KAC"];

copy and paste the script  at the end of ther init file of your mission (you might delete somes from lists if you want them to be only civilians grade (more common) or military grade (less common)

this will add weapons (and magazines automaticly ) and items to the spawned Bandits, renegades and Survivors you'll meet on your way.

kill the guys, or wait for factions guys to kill them all each other and pick up your needs on bodies.

this is far the more realistic way to make a mission "survival style" as IRL you'll certainly have this only way to have something.

you'll need to move, to roam all island to cross the path of squads and renegades.

:)

Mate I edited that init.sqf file in rvg_missions pbo and added this script you wrote. Thing is, it messed up the Ravage mod. :/ I spawned on some island with no weapons, no gear, no clothes, and there was no car around and had to swim to mainland. Once I got there I searched buildings but none had loot in it. I wanted to play Ravage with zombies, and to add this AR-15 weapons to the loot.

@Lecter

instructions to make you own "RAVAGE" showcase mission.

you need pbo.manager installed for this .

find your RAVAGE mod /addons/rvg_missions.pbo

click on it, a new window will be opened on your screen, it is PBO manager opening.
double click on rvg_missions.pbo, it will scroll the contents of the pbo file.

find the rvg_sp folder, expand it ( click on + )

you'll see a folder called RAVAGE.Altis

right click on it, then "copy".

go in your documents/arma 3/missions folder,

paste the Ravage.Altis folder here.

open this folder, it contents:

-Scripts (folder)

-description.ext (file)

-init.sqf (file)

-mission.sqm (file)

you'll need a text editor to modify the init.sqf, I recommand Notepad++

then add the script I gave you to the end of this init file, save it.

now start arma 3, go into Editor, Altis map.

open the RAVAGE mission you'll find in the list, click preview and play.

the other method is to recompile you folder into a PBO file, copy and paste this pbo to your arma 3 directory/missions folder and play it like other single player mission.

EDIT  

(since it took me less than 3 mn to do it )

or click here:

Ravage showcase mission with HLC AR-15 weapons on spawned bandits 

GOOGLE DRIVE

the weaponery listed  in the script I gave you will spawn on bandits squads, renegades and survivors. you'll have to kill them to find those weapons.
nothing will be spawn into the loot system.

• Like 2

Howdy gang and Haleks,

Fired up the mod for the first time yesterday and wound up playing it all day long. Was a nice harkening back to DayZ. Honestly, it's pretty much exactly what we've been looking for: It's dark, creepy, ominous, and very difficult. Haleks, you *need* to make this into a multiplayer, dedicated-server mod. I guarantee you it would get traction. 

While I enjoyed the game play quite a bit, and while it satisfied that desire I think all of us have to have that hardcore survival thing, I've got some suggestions for you on things you can do, in my opinion, to re-balance the mod out:

1) HandleDamage with projectile damage from bandits as well as inflicting said damage on bandits -- The damage done is way, way too high, in both directions. I would suggest you bring it back close to stock Arma levels. You spend an hour accumulating supplies and then die in one shot from a raider which is not cool. The fight needs to be a little bit more prolonged where things like head shots can matter over body shots, especially if a player is wearing an armoured vest or carrier rig.

2) The food drops are extremely low. They can be low, which forces the player to have to scavenge, but they're dreadfully low. In the entire time I played yesterday, I found only one can of baked beans. I would suggest either adding the random critter in (chicken, sheep, whatever) or add canned goods back in. 

3) Empty can loot is too high. 

4) Remove the player/enemy/raider/vehicle icons off of the map. This isn't militaristic Arma; it's a survival mod, so seeing stuff on the map is too advantageous to players. In doing so, I think this requires a change of overall difficulty in the scenario. 

5) Augment the attack animation on zombies by taking the latter portion of the grenade animation. They're doing the entire animation cycle which is actually three animations buttoned together. The last one would work just fine. If in fact you do this change, then I suggest dropping down the number of running zombies slightly to balance it. 

6) The Hellcat needs initial damage points. 

7) Empty or dramatically reduce the fuel tank capacity of the Tempest Fuel truck. (setFuelCargo; similar that I believe is done on the offroad repair -- setRepairCargo)

8) A 4x to 6x time multiplier wouldn't hurt, if it doesn't already exist, so a player is forced to deal with night time and use the flashlights/chem lights found out in the field. 

9) Changing of or addition of CUP (Community Upgrade Project) weaponry to go back to some of the Arma 2, DayZ-style weaponry (Lee Enfield, M1014 shotgun, etc). 

10) I have a gas mask breathing sound in CO18 Resistance Plus I nabbed off the Internet, for use with the SDV, that you can use to replace the gas mask sound you've got. There's no bubbling water sound mixed in. 

11) EDIT: I Forgot something - The new stamina system. Since there's so much running in this, I would recommend modifying the stamina system to enable the player to run greater distances before getting winded and having to rest. It might also help to add an Epi pen in, that a player can double-click on in inventory, that temporarily disables the stamina system for a few minutes (with a pulsing heartbeat sound), that terminates in a crash of all stamina, forcing the player to have to stop. Also, the player's aim coefficient -- modify it, I suggest setting it down to between 0.20 and 0.35. 

12) Trash piles, bags, etc that can be looted, Epoch-style. I wrote code several months ago to make this work in the fashion that Epoch mod does it, where a player can check the "inventory" of a pile of trash bags, etc. to see if there's anything in them. This could be implemented fairly easily where loot spawn, randomly, can be produced at the same spot. Suggestions could be empty cans, canned food, dirty water bottles, that sort of thing, or nothing at all, and would be a way to implement more in the way of loot drops into the mod without having to load the client down doing spawn routines, as long as it doesn't imbalance the mod.

13) Possible loot drops on zombies, DayZ style, without having to make them units vs agents. Something that triggers on their death (Killed EH) that could possibly drop an item at zed's location.

Other than that, I think the weaponry and ammo drops are perfect. You really have to work at it to get armed! And the use of container objects for loot is very good and helps relieve a lot of lag.

Haleks, I need to get some time with you. I can help you convert this into multiplayer running on a dedicated server. I have the scripting knowledge and experience to show you how to set this up for headless clients, monitor and keep track of players, vehicles in the field, etc. I also have code I wrote to relieve A LOT of server and client FPS. This mod is so damn good, and so challenging, and so hardcore, that it could easily be the spiritual successor to DayZ for Arma 3. Come get in touch with me, give me an hour of your time, and let me show you the mission (of the code I sent you) to give you some ideas. It is possible! And it would be one of the best survival mods for Arma 3. 

B

• Like 5

I also forgot another one -- Melee weaponry and archery. An axe to chop down trees wouldn't hurt. I have code from when I worked on Dead Nation, that I really never used, that can be used to take trees down and produce wood logs. Perhaps those can be used to make a campfire with the box of matches.,

B

• Like 1