Hehe .. nice one !  Between you and Ryan, we have an amazing zombiefest :)

• Like 1

About the Horde

Although in EVERY zombie scenario _THIS is the real threat

...how one can actually escape from this situation?

Not enough ammo

Not enough runspeed

Fatigue

No "Dying light" environment+player abilities

:/

About the Horde

Not enough ammo

Not enough runspeed

Fatigue

That would be Enhanced Movement ;)

• Like 1

About the Horde

Not enough ammo

Not enough runspeed

Fatigue

If you're in it, you're screwed. I doubt if you're paying attention you'll walk into one or have one sprung directly onto you, just don't get to close ;) .

Yea..yea..i m aware of Bad Benson's excellent addition/addon.

but..AFTER i manage to climb to (lets say)to a roof/and escape the immediate danger...well..whats the plan next? :D

Anyways..i love to see every addition new version will bring for us ;)

About the Horde

Not enough ammo

Not enough runspeed

Fatigue

Rely on stealth + enhanced movement mod as people suggested already (which should have been part of ArmA3 in the first place ;) ). In real life it would be done so as well. You hide and let the horde pass. Your objective is survival not utter eradication of zeds. You should not be John Rambo but Carlos Hathcock  ;)

just dont get caught on top of a dumpster with a guy named Nicholas with a horde around  :angry:

i got the wall built, the upper island blacklisted, the modules placed and some basic stuff done... still not getting any loot spawning tho which looks like a building issue. Im sure its solvable but its not working right now from what I can see.

I have a vid i will post tonight.

• Like 1

From a mission making perspective, you don't have to use the horde to spawn thousands of zeds every time. I've used it in some missions I'm making to spawn just a few zombies to make sure an objective is infested when the player gets there. (e.g. 10 spawning in a small zone which is placed in a house).  It works really well, most times one or two spawn outside the target building, and as soon as they see the player, the rest come pouring out. Brown trousers mode.

Having said that, I've also used it to spawn 200 zeds trapped inside a stadium , surrounded by strategically placed cargo containers. (in the story line it was a refugee center where infection broke out while they were waiting for evac helicopters which never came. The military just sealed it up and left them there.) You should hear them! At some point in the mission, the player has the option of using explosives from a safe distance to let them out so that they attack a nearby bandit base. Hilarity ensues.

Failing that, I concur with what has already been said, if you do encounter a free range horde of any size, RUN!

run.jpg

..or maybe throw empty cans at them

• Like 1

Geez, what a busy week it was...

The bug-fixes weren't too much work but, damn, the modules overhaul was (is - it's WIP still) a much bigger task than I thought.
Writing those module descriptions gave me a lot to think about regarding module mechanics & uses (hence the Horde modifications I briefly mentionned earlier).
Obviously the whole mission-making part of the mod is very much WIP, but it is slowly becoming more and more flexible and will hopefully allow plenty of exciting situations.
Good thing is : work on these modules are going to lay out solid bases for future development.
Once I feel confident that modules can cover a solid range of scenarios, survival and missions development will most likely take the pace up a notch.

Anyhow, I didn't really had a chance to catch up on that lost sleep, so I won't go over details about v0.1.2 right now, but here's what should be the definitive changelog for the update :

Tweaked :
Minor HUD improvements.
Tactical Bacon item didn't have a proper inventory icon.
Added flashlight attachment item to the Vital Loot list.
Removed the Irradiation limit for the player (Rad Exposure beyond 100% - experimental).
Geiger counter sounds volume calculation at low levels.
The "walking zombies" can now run faster.
Zombies are now much more resilient to damages.
Improved distance check when being attacked by a zombie.
Tweaked target detection function for zombies.
Zombies spawned by Horde modules now act as actual "hordes".
Zombies dynamically spawned in the wild now use the new "horde behaviour".

Fixed :
AntiRad pills were not working.
Fixed sleeping bags and tents disappearing into the ground inside houses.
Unfolded bedrolls and tents positioning now adapt correctly to the terrain slope.
Player being unable to fill jerrycans at fuel stations.
Small correction to the syphon vehicle function formula.
Player being unable to sleep in tents.
Zombie Spawn Radius (Ambiant zombies module) not working beyond 400 meters.
Zombies were always failing to detect immobile targets at close/medium range.
Player being unable to inflame previously extinguished campfires.
Wrecks and damaged vehicles could sometimes spawn too close to the player.
Minor RPT errors.

New :
Mission makers can now define a side for each of the hostile and friendly factions (Ambiant AI module).
Added zed Blacklisted zones module.
Added debug markers for radioactive areas (survival module).
Added individual options to the Debug module.
Added low grade food and drink items.
Added new map item (alternative icon by Scorch).
Added Descriptions to Editor modules (click on "Show Infos" - WIP).
TRYK uniforms addon is now supported (WIP).

I still have to properly test some last minute changes, but it should be ready before Monday, except case of major issues.
Word of warning though : Ravage is going to be much harder. I will probably spend next week balancing and working on survival-related features.

• Like 6

So due to some genius work of my "darling" kids, i lost all my work on my Esseker mission, but.....

(Sorry i couldn't help myself, but its somewhere dear to you all)

Huf5tCd.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Haleks, really coming along!

A question, is it currently possible for zombies to hear gun shots, or become attracted to sound, kind of like in the movies

where making sounds attracts them, and if not is it possible to add that?

Also heres a vid i recorded this past monday on my first run through the mod, i didn't start recording til 2 hours in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFqhcf7_aw

• Like 2

A question, is it currently possible for zombies to hear gun shots, or become attracted to sound, kind of like in the movies

I believe they are attracted to gunfire but only within 80m.

@cosmic10r  Vid.

Have you tried the main Corazol bridge?

AI (zombies) can navigate without problems???

Also..

I can't be sure if Sahrani buildings are supported for loot drop-and if they do there are still too few enterable buildings

so..loot will be awfully scarce.

Of course..if main survival needs (food/drink/medicine) are mostly relied on buying them from a store..things are different.

Well..who said you only canbuy guns and ammo with creditzzz? :)

Anyone know if this map http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21332if the loot spawning would work, anyone tried it?

Feel free to correct me here:

As far as i understand it, the loot module looks for A2, A2 OA, A3 or Namalsk buildings and randomly places loot in them depending on your settings.

So if the map contains them i would say yes, if its custom buildings then no.

I would download the map and try it out.

EDIT:

@cosmic10r: what module did you use to create the blacklist zones?

@cosmic10r  Vid.

Have you tried the main Corazol bridge?

AI (zombies) can navigate without problems???

Also..

I can't be sure if Sahrani buildings are supported for loot drop-and if they do there are still too few enterable buildings

so..loot will be awfully scarce.

Of course..if main survival needs (food/drink/medicine) are mostly relied on buying them from a store..things are different.

Well..who said you only canbuy guns and ammo with creditzzz? :)

Sadly I am coming to the conclusion that this may have to wait unitl it is potentially updated with more enterable buildings and the bridge is fixed... you are totally right... they will not cross the bridge.

If I made the checkpoint on the Q side of the bridge it might be more believable since it is inside the green zone but the loot is still a pretty major issue.

I couldn't find another map with such a natural chokepoiint for a wall. But the Newest panthera is really nice and offers a ton of island options. 

I was thinking of making the main island zombie infested and each other island kind of faction controlled.

Anyways... thoughts?

Feel free to correct me here:

As far as i understand it, the loot module looks for A2, A2 OA, A3 or Namalsk buildings and randomly places loot in them depending on your settings.

So if the map contains them i would say yes, if its custom buildings then no.

I would download the map and try it out.

EDIT:

@cosmic10r: what module did you use to create the blacklist zones?

I'm using a trigger and one of the ravage functions.. basically waiting for the new module which Haleks has been kind enough to do up :)

Ok, so i have spent the last few hours rebuilding my esseker mission and im almost ready to release it.

I would like to set up some traders and such, but my scripting ability is minimal. I will add those when i get the skills or Haleks adds them.

I have to go back to work tomorrow, but i will get out a gameplay video for you tomorrow night (UTC +10) for you guys to have a look at. I may even talk in it.........

@cosmic10r:

Blacklist Question: ah kk np

Opinion: I havn't seen the new panthera map yet but that sound cool

• Like 2

@haleks,

hi mate are you planning on releasing on steam workshop? I couldn't find it or I'm really blind.

I put Ravage in the search bar but nothing come up.

thanks bud

tyler

Also heres a vid i recorded this past monday on my first run through the mod, i didn't start recording til 2 hours in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFqhcf7_aw

Hi Gunter!

Interesting video - I was glad to see that WarMod & Ravage seem to be running fine together!

Regarding zombies, as Stormforge said, yes they do hear gunshots - but the current method limits the range to 80 meters or so...

That is something I will work on at some point - I haven't figured out yet how I'll do it.

About the loot spawn function : right now it doesn't support Arma 1 or custom buildings.

I have plans for a "universal" system wich could be used as an alternative, but I need to check how it will impact performances - ...actually I need to write it first! ^^'

@tyl3r99 : Maybe, I don't really know at the moment - let's say I have mixed feelings about the Workshop...

EDIT :

Just a quick vid

Really love the atmosphere mate; is that the sandstorm function you're using in this?

Regarding zombies, as Stormforge said, yes they do hear gunshots - but the current method limits the range to 80 meters or so...

That is something I will work on at some point - I haven't figured out yet how I'll do it.

Would it be possible to spawn some kind of "magnet" / waypoint for Zombies in a radius of "X" meters when a shot was fired for a time of "Y" seconds on your position?

Nearby Zombies would walk/run towards that point as long as they are interested in it (Y seconds) - after that - just "forget" what happened and then move on with their "lifes".

It wouldn´t be necessary to respawn this "magnet" within a radius of 30m or so if there is already one and new shots will be fired to help the performance maybe.

@cosmic10r

To be honest Cosmic..this is a totally different gamemode.

It's not about extreme survival anymore..but more than mercenary work.

Quarantine zone has been set/Civilization is protected.We have heavily guarded borders and...traders

What you have now..is opportunity to make money out of this mess. (random missions)

*serious balancing must be done to rewards/maybe a petty reward of killing random zombies.(i.e. 1 or 2$ per head)*

Under these circumstances..it IS acceptable to have limited loot points because HEY! YOU GOT MONEY!!..

..and a safezone with trader(s)

Although..my deepest desire its not to see Sahrani again (i had some thousands of hours there)..the bridge isn't that much

of a problem because the safe zone must remain safe zone beyond any bug or glitch :)

Anyways it's your call ;)

@Cyphas_Cayne

Unfortunately things like*losing hours-work are happening.

I would love to play your mission.I loved the atmosphere!!

• Like 1

Would it be possible to spawn some kind of "magnet" / waypoint for Zombies in a radius of "X" meters when a shot was fired for a time of "Y" seconds on your position?

Nearby Zombies would walk/run towards that point as long as they are interested in it (Y seconds) - after that - just "forget" what happened and then move on with their "lifes".

It wouldn´t be necessary to respawn this "magnet" within a radius of 30m or so if there is already one and new shots will be fired to help the performance maybe.

You can achieve that with a "Fired" EventHandler, but you need to add it to each individual units.

That means either a config change in the base class units (not gonna happen as it can break compatibility with other mods such as Dragonfyre) or a loop looking for units which don't have the EH already (to ensure the feature works on dynamically spawned units, including by other scripts/mods such as Alive).

It is actually one of the first "hearing" methods I tried for the zombies when I started working on them (btw, and totally off-topic, the very first prototype versions of Ravage had autonomous UAVs and UGVs instead of zombies, totally different scenario ^^), the detection range was based on the caliber used, but I wasn't happy with performances at the time (especially in high zombie population & large firing squads scenarios). That's why I used the "FiredNear" EH instead, albeit the range limit, it is much more practical to use for various reasons.

The code was a mess though, I will probably play a bit more with the idea.

About the update :

I'm still testing & tweaking a few things. I realized the rad mechanics could use more explanations and added a new tutorial hint about rad poisoning.

As you may have noticed, your vision sometimes becomes noisy/grainy around radioactive zones : unlike what you may think, this doesn't necessarily means that you're inside the radioactive zone.

The grain effect is there to inform you that your maximum health is going down because of radiation poisoning - the new Hint combined wih the HUD improvements should clear up any confusion on that.

I've also added partial support for the Marsmen DLC for players who own it.

I will probaby take the time to finish those module descriptions (ugh!) and clear that out for the next phase, but it shouldn't take too long now.

EDIT : Actually, one thing I'll try to fix before updating, is the friggin' damaged buildings clipping through each others.

• Like 3

EDIT : Actually, one thing I'll try to fix before updating, is the friggin' damaged buildings clipping through each others.

Damn... it's exactly what I thought : intact & damaged buildings don't have the same center position...

Intact building spawned at [0,0,0] in VR :

521df5cb-0ec0-45f5-83f9-d8264208d0cb.jpg

The damaged version, spawned at the same position :

64551483-ca88-4ca3-9355-8ffc7f2bfd6e.jpg

And seen as there's nothing related to the center position in the configs, I guess it is defined directly in the P3D model.

Quite frankly, even if I had experience with model editing, this one is on BI - not really my job to go through each buidling and fix them...

• Like 1