Hey, cool stuff !

I just gave it a try and had fun. :)

I think I'll try to make a mission if I find some time.

About optionnal addons :

- I only used RHS, and I was confused to see that every or most of the AKs are equipped with NPZ rail. In my opinion, a majority of non-NPZ variants would be much more realistic but maybe there is a reason behind it..

- CUP weapons compatibility would be great too if you find some time to do it.

Salut Sparfell!

Thanks for the feedback!

- I didn't want to include all variants of AKs as they would be too common - that is caused by a flaw in the loot system : it wasn't really designed to handle that many objects.

So I chose the NPZ version to offer compatibility with what little weapon attachments you can find in Ravage - not the most logical choice, I admit...

- And yes CUP weapons will be supported too.

But the loot lists aren't going to be updated soon as I need to overhaul the loot system first. :/

Maybe it's a dumb question but if I use Hidden Identity pack v2 yet, have I to delete the gasmask and shemags pbo ? (they should share the same classnames, can it cause a conflict ?)

Congratulation on the release !!!! Can't wait to test !!!

Yes, you can delete those.

Hey Haleks, finally had time to congrat you on the release... and give my feedback and ask something:

I´m with Bad Benson (we had a long friendly discussion about Ravage, and indeed, the loot mechanics needs some love - specially on diversity: you find 100 caps, 50 maps, but not a single can or bottle sometimes... the bandits have valuable loot with them, but then you had to be well armed to face a 4 men scout team or find a bandit safe haven and rob it with skillz... which is nice, but it is kinda the ONLY way to improve your odds to survive, which is paradoxal cus you have to fight an outnumbering force lol

On the end, we all want is to be able to eat those juice rabbits that flock all over Altis landscape or drink at the few water fonts on the cities or shallow lake at Limni =)

But overall, I´ve loved the STAKER-ish scenario, a good complement to Contention Zone and DSS, I may dream on a great mashup between all those neat survival sandbox released this last week lol

And my question: where can I find the Geiger counter? On military base? On bandits bags? Or it is pretty random as all loot? 8/

Keep up the great work!

cheers!

Thanks for the suggestions corporal_lib! ;)

You can find Geiger counters in military buildings and on bandits as well (remember to double-click on it in your inventory to activate it).

Nice!!, are you going to develop a mp mode or only single player??

SP for now - but MP isn't out of the equation. ;)

@The void : I'm taking notes!^^

You guys are giving me a lot to think on!

FYI : the update I'm working on will focus on fixing the most urging issues (plus a few bonuses) but I'll try to mitigate those balancing issues - eventhough more practical solutions will be worked on later.

EDIT : Here's the changelog for the current DEVbuild :

• Tweaked distances and timers for NPC spawns.
  • Fixed : Car patrols not spawning.
  • Zeds should definitely stop hitting through walls, thanks to Bad Benson's suggestions.
  • Zeds can now spawn in the wild, not only around buildings.
  • Minor HUD changes (hunger/thirst replaced by nutrition/hydration - makes more sense since those values decrease instead of rising).
  • Fixed drink actions.
  • Added a music option to the Atmosphere Module.
  • Fixed most script errors & RPT spam.

I have a few other things to do and this changelog isn't final - but the next version should be much more polished. ;)

• Like 4

Had a chance to play Ravage on Esseker. A great combo.

Looking forward to the update :)

Excuse the music volume... I need to turn it down a touch.

Not the most action... I'll tape another gameplay version later and see if I can get some more action maybe with bandits

• Like 1

Nice cosmic10r! ;)

Quick update on the mod : I'm in the middle of improving the modules.

Zombies will have their own, with the following options :

- Maximum number to spawn at any one time (default : 50)

- Enable/Disable sun influence over the spawn rates

- Percentage of fast zombies

This should provide some very much needed control for mission-makers : while the current values work well on Altis, I feel like it's not the case on Arma2 terrains.

Those usually have less buildings, combined with the sun influence it can be problematic...

If you have any suggestions about the modules, I am all ears. ;)

Great mod, easy to use. Thank you.

Do you think you can add an option to the module zombie spawn to chose what type of zombies spawn? (like how dss mod has an option) I just don't like fast zombies.

Oh and maybe an option to pump up the amount of zombies that spawn. (like how breaking point had tons of zombies in towns)

...or is there a way I can disable fast zombies or even up the number of zombies, with a script or something? (i don't know how to script myself)

Keep up the great work man

EDIT: looks like you are one step ahead of me... just saw your last post. i am a slow typer 

If you have any suggestions about the modules, I am all ears. ;)

Played a lot more on Altis since my previous post, this mod is really addictive.

One suggestion re: modules. You mentioned earlier "blacklist zones". I'm guessing this might be non-spawning zones,  is that correct?

This would be ideal for a mission maker module. A non-spawning area (definable like a trigger zone) would be put in certain locations. I'm starting to work on a  campaign of SP missions where a player has a home base with a small group of survivors out in the wilderness and goes out on scavenging for specific supplies/items in a series of missions. An example, get to the hospital in Kavala for antibiotics/first aid kits, or raid a specific bandit camp to  rescue prisoners and bring them back to home base etc. Excluding zeds and random bandits from certain areas (like the home base or the custom built bandit base) would be a huge plus for these missions.

I'm thinking that the final mission could also be to steal a truck, and drive it back to the base to evacuate everyone, whilst being pursued by bandits and zed hordes ( think Mad Max: Road Warrior style) and meet up with a helicopter evacuation.

Keep up the great work and looking forward to new updates.

One suggestion re: modules. You mentioned earlier "blacklist zones". I'm guessing this might be non-spawning zones,  is that correct?

Yes, it is.

I'll probably make disposable modules for this; they would offer a user-defined radius for the blacklist zones, as well as the option to make them permanent or have them removed once the player has left the area.

And a debug option with markers, if need be.

Hello there

1) I'm new to arma editing, mod packs etc. 
2) I have followed the creators install procedure 
3) I have scoured through these forums to find out if i am doing something wrong to no avail.

Now this is what im experiencing

1)I have unzipped the @Ravage folder and placed it into the @Arma 3 folder

2)I have then gone to click on the scenario tab, then clicked on the ravage tab, then clicked Play, it blinked for a very short moment and went straight back the the scenario tab. 

3) What have i done wrong ? :) ty for any help. cannot wait to play this mod

EDIT** After a while and many videos i found i did not load the mod from the start up in arma 3 :) all good 

Hi there.

Great mod so far, i really love the ambiance.

Quick question btw, i can't figure out how to run ! ^^

When i spawn, i'm near a burning car, and i can only walk.

Then, i take the stuff on the boddy near the car, and i can only do small run and walk. No sprint, or running like normally in ArmA 3.

Is that normal ?

Thanks

Hi there.

Great mod so far, i really love the ambiance.

Quick question btw, i can't figure out how to run ! ^^

When i spawn, i'm near a burning car, and i can only walk.

Then, i take the stuff on the boddy near the car, and i can only do small run and walk. No sprint, or running like normally in ArmA 3.

Is that normal ?

Thanks

Check your control settings and key-bindings. There is nothing wrong with the run option. I have set it on W+S keys (i.e. when moving forward with W i just slide finger on S and character runs). However you cant run whole time, there is limited amount of stamina you can use before you're fatigued.

Also note that your character is exhausted when you wake up : give it a few seconds and you'll be fresh as new. ;)

Also note that your character is exhausted when you wake up : give it a few seconds and you'll be fresh as new. ;)

Hello Haleks, I have 3 questions:

1. Did you have any crashes to desktop or freezing? Game randomly freezes for me and I have to ctrl alt del and terminate it. I find it odd, I doubt it's something related to game - I passed campaign without it happening to me, drivers and directx is up to date as well.

2. Did you manage to fix problem with drinks? Do make that hotfix a priority mate. It sucks to be dying of starvation and thirst :D

EDIT:

Just stumbled upon this issue regarding anti-radiation pills. I think they do not work either mate. I had blurred vision (I do not have geiger counter - havent found any in gameplay so far) and checked my HP, it was reduced from 100 to 75, I took anti-rad pills but my HP was still reducing to 70 and eventually to 64. Could the anti-rad be not working or is my HP dropping due to the fact I had "you feel hungry" message? 

Well this sounds interesting. The fact that it's SP currently makes it sound interesting so need to bookmark this and check it out later how it plays.

Hello Haleks, I have 3 questions:

1. Did you have any crashes to desktop or freezing? Game randomly freezes for me and I have to ctrl alt del and terminate it. I find it odd, I doubt it's something related to game - I passed campaign without it happening to me, drivers and directx is up to date as well.

2. Did you manage to fix problem with drinks? Do make that hotfix a priority mate. It sucks to be dying of starvation and thirst :D

EDIT:

Just stumbled upon this issue regarding anti-radiation pills. I think they do not work either mate. I had blurred vision (I do not have geiger counter - havent found any in gameplay so far) and checked my HP, it was reduced from 100 to 75, I took anti-rad pills but my HP was still reducing to 70 and eventually to 64. Could the anti-rad be not working or is my HP dropping due to the fact I had "you feel hungry" message? 

I had a few freezes - but since even vanilla Arma3 has a tendency to crash on my machine, I was never sure that the mod was responsible...

Those are most likely caused by the script errors I didn't catch before releasing; most of those erros have been fixed on the current DEVbuild, so the next version should be much more stable.

And yes, the drink problem is gone already. ;)

About anti-rad pills : their effect is progressive, but if you still loose HP after let's say 5 minutes, you're either suffering from hunger/thirst or might need another dose if your radiation level is very high.

I still have work to do on the modules & the vital items being too scarce; the mod will be updated once those are done.

You guys should be able to enjoy complete functionalities while I can think with a more relaxed mind on what's coming next. ;)

• Like 1

Not to remove your well deserved rest... ;)

What was the issue with the feral dogs?

Hey there,

I saw this mod a few days ago when I checked Armaholic. It looked realy interesting so tried it. First I played a few rounds vanilla, then I added the HLC-mods. The first 3 rounds all went the same: spawning in the middle of nowhere, and after 20 minutes getting shot by some wandering bandits, sometimes from known, sometimes form uknown positions. With the 4. attempt I managed it to recognize the area where I spawned (S of Agioes Andreas, a area I thankfully know from a former mission) and somehow made it to Sofia. I killed a few bandits during the way and know I'm pretty good equipped. Found some fucked up vics, I'm curious what I will find next.

• After the ~4 hours I played the mod I haven't found any food. I managed it to loot some bottles of water though. A slightly higher amount of lootable food would be appreciated - at the moment it seems to be a question of time and then you starve. I like the idea of several difficulties, I think this should please everyone.
  • I noticed that the time is skipping when you do a quicksave. That also mean's that the music stops playing and that the weather is changing. Any chance to avoid this? I did 4 or 5 quicksaves, now my weather is sunny... :wacko:
  • Any chance to support Robert Hammers pistol pack? So far the best pistol pack out there imho.
  • Sometimes I saw zombies spawn in my line of sight not to far away from me so I support the former people which asked to increase the spawn radius.
  • Having a hideout with some stashes where you could store some supplies would be realy cool, but I also think this would screw the idea of the mission somewhat.
  • Well, not surprising, but I also would love to see a Coop-mode. ;)
  • Is there anything to do when you are highly equipped besides hunting bandits? One idea might be to add special areas which are highly polluted and valuable. So that something special is going to happen when you explore those areas - whatever that might be.
  • I think the game needs a bit more from 
  • Is the loot respawning? So, does it make sense to return to a place you already looted?
  • The music is outstanding! Could you upload the songs and share them? :)

So far my thoughts. Thanks much for your work, looking forward for the next updates.   

BB and I were talking yesterday and thought a trader system at friendly camps where you could trade found loot for food... seems believable... would aid in mechanics of food distribution and give a player a point to traveling back to camps with their loot for more survival gear

• Like 1

Have had time to play a bit more and I may have been off about the zombies. Wasn't thinking of transformers/wind-turbines/scenic overlooks/etc as buildings so I now see where I am getting them from. Getting 2-4 zombies a building which is easily loot-able with only the slow type. Still think the zombies and bandits need to spawn out farther though. 500m zombies, 1000m bandits/survivors sounds like good numbers to me, but I do not know how much slowdown that may cause on some systems. Is there a maximum number of allowed zombies spawned to help alleviate that?

Oh and there were supposed to be vehicle patrols also? Can't wait. Are these going to be placed or random patrols? Is there anything static on the map currently, or is everything going to be random enclaves/rad zones/etc.?

We currently have a way to monitor thirst, hunger, and health. Will we be getting a radiation exposure ui element? Maybe a color gauge of current rad count green/yellow/orange/red or a percentage?

Hi Haleks,

Been playtesting this some more...to be honest I haven't loaded up vanilla ARMA since the mod was released!

I'm putting the first mission of my planned campaign together at the moment. Couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to spawn individual zombies where you want them, maybe spawn civillians and add something to thier init lines to zombify them?

2) Is there a command to get AI to holster thier weapons until they see an enemy?

3) Do you have a classnames list for the loot items like food and sleeping bags?

Cheers

BB and I were talking yesterday and thought a trader system at friendly camps where you could trade found loot for food... seems believable... would aid in mechanics of food distribution and give a player a point to traveling back to camps with their loot for more survival gear

.....or roaming nomads who like to barter.....

• Like 1

I follow this topic since you released the first version Haleks - the 

idea of traders makes totally sense to me. 

I never played STALKER therefore I don´t if we are getting a bit away 

with this idea from your base concept but if traders would be a thing to 

aim for I think it would be cool if they all have their little houses 

and shacks randomly spawned on the map (possibly fortified a bit - 

because they try to survive just as you in this harsh world).

From these randomly spawned spots they could start their waypoints and 

roam around.

Same could be the concept for Bandits. If you find a hideout you can get great

loot - but maybe you need to defuse explosive traps sometimes.

I like the idea that you are not completely alone in this world but then the next

logical step for me is that everyone has shelter that they protect and get back to.

And if this system could be either placed manually or randomly it would be great

for mission making.

Just some Ideas - what do you guys think?

Still think the zombies and bandits need to spawn out farther though. 500m zombies, 1000m bandits/survivors sounds like good numbers to me, but I do not know how much slowdown that may cause on some systems. Is there a maximum number of allowed zombies spawned to help alleviate that?

i'd be really careful about that though. one thing i really dig about Ravage is the fact that it runs so smooothly. overall it's seems very economic and thoughtful. and also i like the side effect of being surprised by close spawns.

but maybe for ambience one could do very few far spawns of stuff in the distance. i dunno. i prefer steady performance over anything. that'S kind of what i disliked about most dayZ like mods out there. they always seem so overloaded beyond reason.

• Like 2

i am seeing zombies pop up as i get nearer to a town, maybe increase the distance only a little bit? or make fog permenant or limit view distance etc 

i think it would be more wise to spawn them inside buildings in that case. it's easy to do and a great simple way to avoid such immersion breakers. for anything else one can always do a LOS check for the player and if it's true look for a better spawn position. i did both with great success in the past.

these are just my personal views though. i don't want to get too hijacky :lol:

Yeah I know, the zombies sometimes popping in front of you annoys the hell out of me - that's something I do intend to tweak.

But as BB said, increasing the spawn radius around the player can be tricky : while you probably won't feel a difference in the wild performance-wise, I can guarantee that it's going to be another story in the biggest cities.

I have other ideas to work around that problem though.

Hi Haleks,

Been playtesting this some more...to be honest I haven't loaded up vanilla ARMA since the mod was released!

I'm putting the first mission of my planned campaign together at the moment. Couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to spawn individual zombies where you want them, maybe spawn civillians and add something to thier init lines to zombify them?

2) Is there a command to get AI to holster thier weapons until they see an enemy?

3) Do you have a classnames list for the loot items like food and sleeping bags?

Cheers

It is; you need to use createAgent.

The zombies are spawned like this :

_rnd = round(1 + random 8);
_type = "zombie" + str(_rnd);
_zed = createAgent [_type, _pos, [], 30, "NONE"];
_zed setPosATL [getPosATL _zed select 0, getPosATL _zed select 1, 0];
_zed switchmove ""; //this is to avoid an animation glitch
Zombies have their own init defined in the configs; if you want to spawn a unit and turn it into a zombie, use this :

_zed spawn rvg_fnc_zed_init
Remember that it has to be an Agent, editor placed units won't work (for now)!

EDIT : Gah! I forgot an important detail : only Ravage zombies can use Teacup's walk animation! :/

As for the AI, you can make it holster a weapon with this:

_unit action ["hideWeapon",_unit,_unit,101]
I don't know if the AI is able to draw by itself though, if not :

_unit action ["hideWeapon",_unit,_unit,0]
will do the trick.

I will also update the OP with the classnames for Ravage items. ;)

I don't have time to answer to each post right now, sorry, but I do read all suggestions and consider them - thanks for the inputs guys!

EDIT :

• I noticed that the time is skipping when you do a quicksave. That also mean's that the music stops playing and that the weather is changing. Any chance to avoid this? I did 4 or 5 quicksaves, now my weather is sunny... :wacko:
  • [...]
  • Is the loot respawning? So, does it make sense to return to a place you already looted?
  • The music is outstanding! Could you upload the songs and share them? :)

The save issue is more on BI's end I'm afraid - the quicksave option only uses the savegame command - nothing fancy.

Note that not everything is correctly saved in SP, amongst other problems, trigger states and a few commands such as setFace can cause quite the headache for mission makers...

Music can also stop or restart if you pause the game for too long - pretty much all commands I tried are glitchy since one of the recent Arma3 updates.

The loot does respawn, yes. After some time, each location is cleaned up and ready to spawn loot again once the player is far enough from it.

And the music is available for free on the STALKER game site : http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=soundtrack

Enjoy! ;)

• Like 1

Yeah I know, the zombies sometimes popping in front of you annoys the hell out of me - that's something I do intend to tweak.

But as BB said, increasing the spawn radius around the player can be tricky : while you probably won't feel a difference in the wild performance-wise, I can guarantee that it's going to be another story in the biggest cities.

I have other ideas to work around that problem though.

That is what I figured. Honestly I was thinking of immersion. The zombies themselves spawning where they do does not cause any problems at all now (that I know of other than you can see them spawn), and major lag in spawning or game slowdown because of it would be worse. Trying to think of workarounds, like having them despawn 100m farther out than they spawn. Something like spawn at 400m, despawn at 500m. Though it seems like something like that is being currently used anyway. Plus as you said it will not make much difference in the larger cities. Do not know the mechanics of spawning or any of it really. Though this mod is giving me the want to open up the editor an learn how to use it and the modules that are part of this. Just playing Ravage is giving me ideas of things to create. (Fallout, zombies and raptors, no zombies, etc.)

I still think the bandits should be farther out thou. Maybe limit the overall number or number of groups? Though I do not see them causing slowdown like zombies would in towns.