Sign in to follow this  
joostsidy

Walking around with holstered weapons

With the new pistol showing in holster feature I was very much hoping the automatic drawing of pistol was removed. Unfortunately you still draw your pistol automatically if you remove your rifle.. :-(

I think the new feature will be more prominent if there's the option to walk around with a holstered side-arm.

Certain mods give you the ability to walk around with holstered weapons (ACE 3 being the biggest).

Put this in the init line of your unit:

this addAction ["Holster weapons", {_unit=_this select 1; _unit action ['SwitchWeapon', _unit, _unit, 100]; _unit action ['HandGunOffStand', _unit]}];

Then you can choose holster weapon in the menu. It really works with the new holster animation!

Great tip reforger, there is one very small problem though: if you only have a pistol, and it's holstered, you can't draw it any more with the addAction although you still can with the switch weapon keybind.

I remembered that I had a similar addAction in one of my missions and I looked it up:

player addAction ["Weapon on back", {if (currentWeapon player == "") then {player action ['SwitchWeapon', player, player, 0]; } else { player action ['SwitchWeapon', player, player, 100];};},[], 1.5, false];

With this variation you can draw weapon as well with the addAction, it's more like a toggle for people who prefer that.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 ----------

I did a little experimenting as well with your addAction, because I like the simplicity. It seems to work with 'handgunoffstand' removed as well:

this addAction ["Holster weapons", {_unit=_this select 1; _unit action ['SwitchWeapon', _unit, _unit, 100];}];

Does it work just as well or am I missing something?

---------- Post added at 11:07 ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 ----------

A final thing: is it possible to make a custom keybind for this action, or is this something that BIS has to implement?

---------- Post added at 11:13 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

I added the ', [], 1.5, false' bit again to the shortened addAction: this prevents the 'Holster weapons' text from floating in front of your face.

this addAction ["Holster weapons", {_unit=_this select 1; _unit action ['SwitchWeapon', _unit, _unit, 100];}, [], 1.5, false];

• Like 1

Nice improvements.

I think the keybinding is impossible, when you use it in the init line. You have to make an own mod with this function to activate the keybinding. I hope BI will do this for us.

the "Holster Weapon" option in the action menu would do. It did back then in OPeration Fashpoint and I never understood why the function to holster or shoulder weapons was ever removed in all later iterations of te RV combat games.

the "Holster Weapon" option in the action menu would do. It did back then in OPeration Fashpoint and I never understood why the function to holster or shoulder weapons was ever removed in all later iterations of te RV combat games.

In the action menu? No. A button will suffice. We all know how bad the Action Menu already is.