Sign in to follow this  
abuk007

A "heli dlc" fix plea

Hello. First of all excuse me for posting this here - didn't find a suggestion forum for A3, so I guess it fits the best in this section. If this doesnt belong here, feel free to move, delete/archive it.

The original text was posted on reddit, but I'd like to begin discussion here and raise awareness of the problem.

Thank you BI for all the fixes, features and tools you keep providing to the community.

The only thing I've found frustrating is the lack of functionality in high quality content you delivered in heli dlc.

Im speakjng of 2 things that should have been there since the dlc release and still are not present.

• First - taru pods. The whole idea of taru revolves around its modular construction. Not being able to exchange the modules or paradrop them makes heli useless. Loadmaster position is another passanger seat without any proper functionality.
  • The second thing - ramps. They do not function. You cant get inside a heli throught a ramp. You cant load a small vehicle like a quad or boat to chinook. Ramps are useless apart from being a window for 2 rear soldiers to fire from. Having a ramp that serves as proper entry point for infantry and possible loading for vehicles would greatly improve heli experiance.

Those things can be fixed by scripts, but as a paid dlc I'd expect a fully working and featured content. Not half-finished product. These are some of main reasons why dlc helis are barely used and the dlc is considered more of a donation than actual two-sided benefit. Modding community is great, but vanilla content should be solid enough to hold its own ground and be followed quality wise.

This is not a rant, giving out free stuff for non-dlc owners to not split the community is the best thing BI could have made. The complaint is about unused potential of paid content. Potential that was shown by implementing cool vehicles that can't be used to their full intend and extent.

Please take this under consideration. Yours faithfuly - fan and gamer.

P.S. Thank you for reading this wall of text.

Why isn't Taru pod mod already in the vanilla DLC ? As a helo DLC with pods you can attach, it seems logical that everyone will want to attach the pod in the belly of the Taru

What's with the huge drop in lift when you come to a hover? It's hard to predict when, and it downright dangerous. Is the drop off in transitional lift really that severe in real life? Seems a bit much.

And yeah. Pods ;)

Yes, and if you don't learn how to handle it, you will die, in real life. If you ever watched Dyslexi's videos, there's one in the end when he's learning to fly and as the heli begins to stall the instructor quickly takes controls and Auto-Rotates, followed by a rough bump. It is a dangerous effect.

What's with the huge drop in lift when you come to a hover? It's hard to predict when, and it downright dangerous. Is the drop off in transitional lift really that severe in real life? Seems a bit much.

And yeah. Pods ;)

in DCS:W Helos it is even more pronounced, but in the other hand DCS helos are generally more stable and have a more precise control than those in ArmA 3.

Yes, and if you don't learn how to handle it, you will die, in real life. If you ever watched Dyslexi's videos, there's one in the end when he's learning to fly and as the heli begins to stall the instructor quickly takes controls and Auto-Rotates, followed by a rough bump. It is a dangerous effect.

There is so much wrong with everything you just said hahaha but it's ok as the concepts are very complex. I'm sure you are talking about dyslexi's helicopter ppl instruction videos and I haven't watched them all, link me the one you are referring to :)

@SS9- There isn't a drop in lift so much as you don't get the sensation of IGE (In-Ground Effect) hover and you don't have any reference to how much power you need to pull in a hover. All in all, the AFM is absolutely terrible and does a very poor job of simulating actual flight characteristics.

That said, if you want to continue to use AFM, you simply need to keep practicing until you have a reliable sense enough to predict the new power setting and adjust the controls accordingly. Keeping a forward airspeed of 30-40 knots as you come down might also help in some regard.

Why isn't Taru pod mod already in the vanilla DLC ? As a helo DLC with pods you can attach, it seems logical that everyone will want to attach the pod in the belly of the Taru

Does that mod just use the AttachTo command? If so I believe the AttachTo command ignores the weight of the attached object so that would have no impact on the flight model of the Taru with the pod it just lifted.

I have bought The DLC bundle with this last weekend discount .... and a year after the release the pods still without any improvement...

I almost bought the apex expansion but... I was quick to think that better wait to see what they release for sure.