Sign in to follow this  
higgins909

Helicopter flight model standard vs advanced is terrible?

In standard I have a very limited view on what the heli is doing...

You turn on advanced and you get all these sweet gauges.. but altitude is still AOG instad of AOS...

can't remember the term but it goes by land instead of sea level.

But when I go into advanced it makes flying 100X harder to do.

You can't just give it throttle and it will turn the engines on.

maintaining altitude is 100X harder as well as landing as I keep taking off too much throttle because it won't descend.

But when it does start doing it, it decides to rocket down to earth into the ground, even tho I'm giving it full throttle again.

when you're using square and x for throttle control on a ps3 controller... way harder to do on the advanced mode as the standard would try to maintain altitude.

Wind is allways on in advanced even when disabled.

I did a little mission with a orca and it being full... could feel the weight and that changed my view on throttle as well as flying some airport challange as it was a little hummingbird.

Overall:

Is there any way I can have the standard heli controls but + those awesome gauges?

Edited by Higgins909
Better Title
  • Like 2

descending down to earth like a rocket mostly caused for me when I had no enough experience and skill with new AFM system, but when this happens even when player giving it full throttle, seems like a bug rather than of skill lack.

Sometimes I can fly like a boss with this, other times its way out of wack.

I used to love landing and taking off... now kinda hate them.

I'm pretty sure that how you need more throttle when hovering is wrong... never happened to my RC heli's.

Is so hard to land... you get into a hover and suddenly you have to give a 50% throttle increase...

I feel like I used to land way faster before, now I feel like a sitting duck in the sky hovering and trying to land at 5M/s down. + trying to maintain that drop rate.

My helis all ways like to lean right and I have no idea why... its such a fight to combat it.

taking off sometimes has this wobbly ailerons. I was in a humming bird and had to give it a 75 deg angle to get it to go forward... only happened once but it didn't want to go.

Then again I've never had to give a heli that kind of angle.

I've only got about a week of play with it this way.

Do not land from a hover.

What you are experiencing on the Advanced Flight Model is called Vortex Ring State and this occurs when you are descending too fast with no lateral movement. Keep an eye on your vertical speed indicator to make sure that it's not going too far into the negative while landing. There is a camera shake indication when you are entering VRS and you have only a few seconds to react before you lose control.

What happens if you don't is essentially as you describe; the helicopter falls like a rock and this is very very hard to recover from (even more so at low altitude.) Just putting in more collective will not help you. Only increasing lateral speed will help.

• Like 3

Do not land from a hover.

What you are experiencing on the Advanced Flight Model is called Vortex Ring State and this occurs when you are descending too fast with no lateral movement. Keep an eye on your vertical speed indicator to make sure that it's not going too far into the negative while landing. There is a camera shake indication when you are entering VRS and you have only a few seconds to react before you lose control.

What happens if you don't is essentially as you describe; the helicopter falls like a rock and this is very very hard to recover from (even more so at low altitude.) Just putting in more collective will not help you. Only increasing lateral speed will help.

thanks i'll try that, but this will make landing so inaccurate if you try to land with lateral movement.

just practice.... and watch dyslexcie's helicopter flight videos on youtube.

Is there any way I can have the standard heli controls but + those awesome gauges?

I have been wondering exactly the same. I'm no modder, but I wouldn't think it wouldn't be too hard making an addon that showed the gauges regardless of flight setting. I really hope someone finds/makes this!

• Like 2

thanks i'll try that, but this will make landing so inaccurate if you try to land with lateral movement.

Accuracy is entirely up to you as the pilot; I can land on a dime while sliding into the LZ sideways. What landing with lateral movement does however is allows for much faster landings which reduces your exposure towards opposing forces.

LOL this is exactly why i'm here.

I've got around 1400 hours on arma 3 recorded on steam.

Whereby it is over 1000 hours flying helis and jets.

I really hate advanced fly model, i just don't like it at all...

But when using the standard model whit the extra things on screen would give you a more realistic feel to flying.

I know could be easily implemented by Bohemia, and while it is a option it doesn't hurt anyone!

I scratch my head why this isn't in yet?

Come 'n it is 1 line for Bohemia...

Anyone know a mod that add's this? 

Until Bohemia wakes up and finds out not everyone wants a simulator for everything.

U know, advanced fly model doesn't come even close to realistic flying in real life.

So i really don't get it why we would be forced into that only to have a more realistic feel to flying.

Why are you guys trying to do the same to this guy as Bohemia does?

Some people like it, others hate it. Respect that...

descending down to earth like a rocket mostly caused for me when I had no enough experience and skill with new AFM system, but when this happens even when player giving it full throttle, seems like a bug rather than of skill lack.

Just to add a bit to the answer - with Vortex Ring State - when doing a vertical descent - you're basically descending into your own rotor wash which makes a descending column of air - get caught and it can be difficult to escape... There's a video on YouTube - IIRC - shows it happening to a real world MI-8 - the pilots didn't escape...

Regards,

Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having some sort of analog throttle control is pretty much the most important thing for the advanced flightmodel. Once you have that it really isn't that much harder to use than the standard model, just a bit more interesting.

Personally I simply put my old gamepad on the desk and use one of its sticks for throttle and rudder control. I have roll and pitch on my mouse. That works like a charm.

Yeah, AFM is actually easier unless you're too used to how helos worked in the previous games. Sure, it's got nasty surprises such as vortex ring state, but in general, the helo behaves a lot more like you'd expect it to. AFM makes them act like actual helicopters, which means you can fly them like real helos and expect it to work. No such luck in arcade FM.

Here's the tip: with AFM, you can handle the helicopter much like you would an airplane. If you think about it, you'll realize they're not as different as they seem. This realization really helped me get good at using AFM.

Wheels and skids in ArmA are very strong, so you can approach the LZ with a small forward speed and you'll be able to brake easily. Just keep an eye on your flight path marker and you'll nail it every time after some practice. The trick is to put the FPM on your intended LZ, putting the helo in a shallow dive. Just before touchdown, pull back on the stick gently (don't hit the ground with your tail!) and you'll slow down, also reducing your descent rate, which should allow the helo to set down gently on the ground. Use the collective (throttle) to adjust you descent rate and to plant the helo firmly on the ground just after touchdown. 

Generally, landing from hover is only done when you really don't have enough space for anything else. You must be very, very careful then to avoid VRS. That does mean a slow descent, so it's not recommended to do when under fire. I've nailed a few AI helos on landing using AT weapons precisely because they always land from a hover.

The afm can not allow a landing on a building without exploding everything what is strange is that some apparatus is not subject to this rule is it because it is considered too heavy by the physics of the model of flight?

On 2017-01-06 at 0:55 PM, rafacoutinho10 said:

Heli challenges impossible to pass on the standard controll. Developers can add time to the challenges?

Nah, not impossible at all. Gold is possible on all the helicopter challenges with standard flight model.