sancron

Why are Insignias removed from MP-Arsenal?

Hello,

today i would ask a small Questions about Insignias. Bohemia integrated this nice Feature, but at this time, it looks like that we can only use this Feature, when we have proper Script expirence. It's not as easy to assign a Insignia by default, since the insignia would disapear if the Person load a Arsenal Loadout.

In the early version it was possible by using this code

["AmmoboxInit",[this,true]] call BIS_fnc_arsenal;

To edit Voice, Faces and the Insignia, but a few patches back, the feature was disabled, and now it's only possible (as far as i personally know) to assign the Insignias via Scripting commands. But i am not a Scripter and there are no real Solutions for this on the Wiki only this sentence regarding why it was disabled:

Voice, Face and Insignia are not available (to avoid clashing with profile)

It would be nice, if Bohemia should explain, how Insignias can clashing with the Profile, when it's actually not possible to set an insignia through the profile. I can understand the why are Faces and Voice can't be edited but why also Insignias? It would be nice to have again the Option in Multiplayer, to select the insignia through the Arsenal, or is there a easy way to assign Insignias permanently to Units.

Just use the whitebox version of arsenal where every aspect can be used. I believe it's just a different call to make in the script? I'm at work so can't check right now.

Hi Imperator Pete, the Code used above can be directly inserted in the initbox of a Unit / Ammobox and the Arsenal apperas, there is no need for a script. It was also prefered from a Developer in the Thread instead of using a little bit "complicated" Scriptversion to add the Arsenal: How to use Virtual Arsenal like the Virtual Ammobox System?

No need to complicate things too much. In order to add a box with everything available, simply put the following code to init field of the box:

Code:

["AmmoboxInit",[this,true]] call BIS_fnc_arsenal;

As mentioned, more info can be found on Biki: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arsenal

So my main question Stays, why was the Insignias removed from the VA-System above? As a wrote before, i can understand why Faces and Voices was removed, but not why Insignias. And how i can get the "whitebox" Version with all aspects enabled?

For personalization in MP, please use squad logo defined by squad.xml . Insignia is intended to be set by mission (i.e., by mission designer, by Group Management, or by any other system).

• Like 2

For personalization in MP, please use squad logo defined by squad.xml . Insignia is intended to be set by mission (i.e., by mission designer, by Group Management, or by any other system).

Use of the arsenal is supposed to be for us to see and use all aspects of the game. Seems silly for you to restrict options anywhere. If it was a part of the campaign, something official, then I expect you to control all aspects of the experience. But in other areas where it's up to our imaginations, you have no idea what we intend to do with it, so restricting it in any way is counter-productive.

• Like 1

it would be nice, if there should be a better Tutorial / Example for Perople like me, to use the Insignias then. The Wiki is intended for persons which are already own skills in Programming. As i wrote before, when i assign Insignias though the initbox of a unit. The Insignia still disappears when he/she loads or customize his loadout (especially Uniform) in Arsenal. Another point why it should be by default enabled in the Arsenal for Multiplayer Games in my opinion.

In our Unit, we use the SquadXML to display the Main-Unit and want the insignia to display the Sub-Unit. But we have no "Group Management" System which are able to asisgn custom Insignias. Also as i wrote in front, when i assign the insignia through the initbox of a unit as a mission-designer, it still disapears after customizing the loadout (Uniform) in Arsenal.

i totally agree with BadHabitz statement, but if the System is intended to only be used by "mission designer, by Group Management, or by any other system" it should be better documenteaded for Persons which are new in Scripting or have less expirence. An example how to use it with "Scripts" on different Groups or Units on a MP-Mission which uses Arsenal for customizing Uniform / Loadouts would be very nice.

You would need a script that re-assigns the insignia to the unit upon closing the Arsenal screen.

it would be nice, if there should be a better Tutorial / Example for Perople like me, to use the Insignias then. The Wiki is intended for persons which are already own skills in Programming.

An example how to use it with "Scripts" on different Groups or Units on a MP-Mission which uses Arsenal for customizing Uniform / Loadouts would be very nice.

I agree. I would really be interested on the "official way" by BIS Dev's and how larger groups handles those.

Thank you.

I think this would not get much attention by BIS Dev's since only a handful people talk about such a request. Some times i personally think, BIS think that the Community will handle such request instead of providing self a complete solution if it comes to scripting.

That's only a personal opinion how it looks. And i know that BIS Dev's are already bussy in Developing the Expansion and Fixing problems and improving the Game. But as i wrote before, that it would be nice when BIS Dev's officialy show a way to do some Scripting things, since not all people have expirience in Scripting or Programming and only need 1 or 2 Scripts. Like me and our Unit, we use Zeus and ALiVE to develope our Missions, so we have no self created Scripts, and a pobleme like this is hard to resolve if the only Solution in the Wiki show, how to add fast a insignia to a Unit if they doesn't change his loadout through Arsenal, and no JIP Feature is required.

But since we are playing in MP and some times JIP is needed, it's hard to have no solution or the Option to assign the Insignia through the Arsenal by the person himself.

Has anybody a solution he's willng to share?

Definitely would be nice to be able to utilize the squad.xml for  the unit patch and the insignia for morale patches.

it would be nice, if there should be a better Tutorial / Example for Perople like me, to use the Insignias then.

Don't worry, it will get much easier with the new unit system: https://units.arma3.com

Anyway, I agree. It would be nice to have the insignias in the Arsenal.

- - -

This might help:

fnc_permanentInsignia = {
	private ["_unit","_class","_texture"];
	_unit = [_this,0,objnull,[objnull]] call bis_fnc_param;
	_class = [_this,1,"",[""]] call bis_fnc_param;

_texture = if (_class != "") then {gettext (configfile >> "CfgUnitInsignia" >> _class >> "texture")} else {"#(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,0,0)"};
	if (_texture == "") exitwith {["'%1' not found in CfgUnitInsignia",_class] call bis_fnc_error; false};

private ["_index"];
	_index = -1;
	{
		if (_x == "insignia") exitwith {_index = _foreachindex;};
	} foreach getarray (configfile >> "cfgVehicles" >> typeof _unit >> "hiddenSelections");

if (_index < 0) then {
		["'insignia' hidden selection not found on object of type '%1'",typeof _unit] call bis_fnc_error;
		false
	} else {
		_unit setobjecttextureglobal [_index,_texture];
		_unit setVariable ["unitInsignia",_texture];
		_EH = _unit getVariable ["uI_res_EH", -1];
		_EH1 = _unit getVariable ["uI_inv_EH", -1];
		if (_EH < 0) then {
			_EH = _unit addEventHandler ["Respawn", {
				[_unit,_unit getVariable "unitInsignia"] call T_fnc_setUnitInsignia;
			}];
			_unit setVariable ["uI_res_EH",_EH];
		};
		if (_EH1 < 0) then {
			_EH = _unit addEventHandler ["InventoryClosed", {
				[_unit,_unit getVariable "unitInsignia"] call T_fnc_setUnitInsignia;
			}];
			_unit setVariable ["uI_inv_EH",_EH];
		};
	};
};

It's a modified version of the BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia Function. Put the code above in your init.sqf

Then apply a insignia to a unit by putting the following in its init line. (Same syntax as described here: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BIS_fnc_setUnitInsignia)

[[this, "111thID"], "fnc_permanentInsignia", nil, true, true] call BIS_fnc_MP;

It will still get removed when you exit the arsenal but it gets reapplied every time you close your inventory. Therefor it also stays when you switch uniforms and it will be reapplied on respawn.

However, I just wrote/modified this right now and haven't tested the code yet. Good luck :P

Edited by Tajin

Don't worry, it will get much easier with the new unit system: https://units.arma3.com

Anyway, I agree. It would be nice to have the insignias in the Arsenal.

Has Bohemia added Squad.xml generation through the units page? How do you do this?

I'm not 100% sure if they've done it yet (I'm happy with my existing squad.xml, so I never actually tried it). However, the arma3 launcher allows you to select a unit to represent (at the Dashboard) before you launch the game.

Even if its not working yet, I'm sure they're going to implement that sooner or later.