spanishsurfer

BIS, any work being done on Voice Over Network?

now with new sound engine in place, I will see what could be done ;)

• Like 7

I bought A3 after watching gameplay videos from KOTH and now after hundreds of hours, 99% KOTH 

I can say that "Side Chanel" is easily the biggest cause of anger among the players.

New players starts hate wars and they don't know why. And its very hard to help them understand, because the few lines of text often updates to fast for them to read, and you can't use Side Chanel.

Another problem is that because VON is bugged, Trolls are even worse, because they are able too hide behind the bug.

Even if the Side Chanel bug is fixed. VON abuse will still be any online game Nr1 issue.

being able to mute players is a must, and we have it.... BUT why oh why, do we have too scroll a list of 120 players to find the Troll.

The least you could do is divide players into teams by their respective colour.  

Love the game and everything Bohemia.

I agree. The in-game voice over network is really really bad. I can barely make out what people are saying sometimes.

My group uses TFR. But I think for pub servers, having a decent VON is a good thing. 

I think Squad nails it pretty well with the VON.

• Like 1

I' l  b li ve t  hen i  ear it.

Goo  uk!

• Like 4

Also, please poke bastien to get rid of the battleye vomit in the chat display. 5 lines of garbage debug text when someone disconnects, means there is no real chance to type in chat either, on a busy server.

• Like 1

Also, please poke bastien to get rid of the battleye vomit in the chat display. 5 lines of garbage debug text when someone disconnects, means there is no real chance to type in chat either, on a busy server.

This especially. The 'Player X kicked off, Steam ticket check failed' one is particularly annoying since it always clogs up the entire radio log and wipes off all previous messages.

• Like 3

has nothing with BattlEye that you see system output as part of chat or server logs

This especially. The 'Player X kicked off, Steam ticket check failed' one is particularly annoying since it always clogs up the entire radio log and wipes off all previous messages.

what you see is usually unexpected client exit like crash or timeout ...

again nothing with BE but way we output system messages into same chat feed as rest of channels , same goes about logs

if all goes well there will be something done about those too ... no promises , only Dwarden typing ...

• Like 1

has nothing with BattlEye that you see system output as part of chat or server logs

what you see is usually unexpected client exit like crash or timeout ...

again nothing with BE but way we output system messages into same chat feed as rest of channels , same goes about logs

if all goes well there will be something done about those too ... no promises , only Dwarden typing ...

thanks!

I think maybe it should be diag_log instead of systemchat. Regular clients don't need to know this information and it's rarely helpful. Perhaps a simple number code corresponding error type, instead of plain text 5 lines of steam ticket check which clogs the precious space for people to type.

diag_log is script command and has nothing to do with system chat as channels itself ...

diag_log is script command and has nothing to do with system chat as channels itself ...

Regardless, I think its more appropriate to output the steam ticket check and battleye noise to the RPT file instead of ingame chat.

Regardless, I think its more appropriate to output the steam ticket check and battleye noise to the RPT file instead of ingame chat.

Just disable System chat in the description.ext?

Just disable System chat in the description.ext?

admittedly it's been ~2 years since I've tried disabling systemchat, but at that time it was not disable-able. Server and BE systemchat cannot be turned off, unless something has changed that I'm not aware of. Yes I know showChat and stream friendly UI stuff is there, but not appropriate solution.

Noticed the latest sitrep had a bullet regarding VON set over 20. Does this mean BIS has started work on fixing vo

I hope you guys manage to fix it and finally we can have nice things.  :D

yes, that's what I was talking about, more en route ;)also merged now to new performance binarieshttps://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-156-performance-binary-feedback/?p=3005240#entry3005240

Can you indulge my curiosity, is there talk in the office about fixing VON and/or changing how it functions? (As in creating a TFR/ACRE type system but maybe dumbed down a bit)

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/140837-development-branch-changelog/page-38#entry3005705

ENGINE
  • Added: A new VoNCodec implementation based on Opus (can be enabled by setting vonCodec = 1; in the server.cfg)

atm. just in DEV branch

also note: vonCodecQuality 21 to 30 (ultra-wide-band) is 32kHz for Speex but 48kHz for OPUS

Changing system messaging (Battleye, connecting/disconnecting) is on the list for road to apex?

• Like 2

newly in today's DEV branch :

•Added: Support for muting the VON channels in the server.cfg

•Tweaked: The VON and chat channels are now separated

disableChannels[]={channelID, channelID, ...}; //old method

disableChannels[]={{channelID,chat<bool>,voice<bool>},{channelID,chat<bool>,voice<bool>},...}; //new method

the server.cfg setting will work for server with mission w/o any channels defined in disableChannels[]={}; within description.ext

mission which use https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#disableChannelswill override the server.cfg setting

and scripting command enableChannel will be changed (unfortunately this change is not backward compatible)

Does anyone have video featuring voice quality with new opus codec on dev branch? I'm curious how much better is it, or should I even be hyped for nice quality von when apex comes out.

Does anyone have video featuring voice quality with new opus codec on dev branch? I'm curious how much better is it, or should I even be hyped for nice quality von when apex comes out.

I would love to test that or record that.But in order to do that you have to make a server and change parameters.(new codec is not enabled by default)