spanishsurfer

BIS, any work being done on Voice Over Network?

Voice Over Network is still severely broken. Are we any closer to fixing this?  

Read dev's previous response on the matter. It's in a WIP state, and unexpectedly would take longer to fix than anyone thinks. It's also not a priority as one could guess, given Apex is in full swing.

Read dev's previous response on the matter. It's in a WIP state, and unexpectedly would take longer to fix than anyone thinks. It's also not a priority as one could guess, given Apex is in full swing.

I read it months ago, no word on progress since. Why isn't a non working comms system a top priority? The lack of mention suggest they aren't attempting to fix it. All I hear is "Its too hard to fix" which is not an acceptable answer for a game where communication is king.

• Like 1

I read it months ago, no word on progress since. Why isn't a non working comms system a top priority? The lack of mention suggest they aren't attempting to fix it. All I hear is "Its too hard to fix" which is not an acceptable answer for a game where communication is king.

TeamSpeak/Ventrilo are most often preferred by many players for more "advanced" functions offered by TFAR/ACRE. I agree VON should be improved, but given the other "quirks" of the engine I can forgive them for putting a higher priority on fixing those...

^ pretty much that. I'd prefer them get as much content and features into Apex than receiving a Von overhaul in between and having less optimized game or less content/features on release of Apex due to resources used to do something about VON. In my opinion, it can wait for now. Though when it does start getting worked on, i hope they take a sort of DayZ path with radio's, and make the sound transmit through the actual radio instead of just only the players hearing it through their headphones/speakers. 

Direct quote from the new project lead, albeit from two years ago: "I believe that our improved radio protocol is more than enough for most of players, why would we even bother to spend our resources on something if we could just say "Hey, use ACRE for that"?"

He may feel differently now, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if (as Jackal326 and darksidesixofficialsuggested) the current leadership (including his predecessor) determined that other fixes were more important.

Direct quote from the new project lead, albeit from two years ago: "I believe that our improved radio protocol is more than enough for most of players, why would we even bother to spend our resources on something if we could just say "Hey, use ACRE for that"?"

He may feel differently now, of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if (as Jackal326 and darksidesixofficialsuggested) the current leadership (including his predecessor) determined that other fixes were more important.

Pretty stupid decision to neglect something as important as COMMUNICATION. Yeah, you can use TeamSpeak....but the MAJORITY of players are casual people who play on public servers, those players do not use Teamspeak...I've been hosting a public server for years now and have attempted to force users into TeamSpeak, it doesn't happen. We need a vanilla response.   

Frankly, it's embarrassing when you show the game to potential new players and the first thing they notice is how broken voice comms are....it makes the game seem BETA, IMO.

• Like 2

VON issues (yes there are multiple ones) are known and they on WIP menu to resolve ;)

unfortunately some of those turned to be bigger problems so it takes longer than anyone would want

sorry for that

may it would be better to fix things that are really broken instead of waste time and resources in something that was not broken

and in the final result is disliked by half the community like stamina/sway

Pretty stupid decision to neglect something as important as COMMUNICATION. Yeah, you can use TeamSpeak....but the MAJORITY of players are casual people who play on public servers, those players do not use Teamspeak...I've been hosting a public server for years now and have attempted to force users into TeamSpeak, it doesn't happen. We need a vanilla response.   

Frankly, it's embarrassing when you show the game to potential new players and the first thing they notice is how broken voice comms are....it makes the game seem BETA, IMO.

I understand exactly how you feel. But while VON is quite a mess, it's not entirely game breaking. This there's no reason to prop up its priority level over something much more important, from a business standpoint. However the Devs did mention communication to be on their priority list. So I wouldn't be surprised if say, they rolled out a communications update with Arma 3 Units, sometime before, or after Arma 3 Eden.

I'm glad you're still following this issue.

VON has been broken for years now --how can that be?

How can broken comms be ignored for so long?

Fix von; fix the core feature --20 months is long enough to figure it out.

I'm glad you're still following this issue.

VON has been broken for years now --how can that be?

How can broken comms be ignored for so long?

Fix von; fix the core feature --20 months is long enough to figure it out.

20 months, nope not enough time. :blink:

yea it's really kind of weird what happened with VON. i mean all dreams about new VON features aside. i'm pretty sure it worked just fine in arma 2 and maybe even some time in arma 3 alpha. but now everytime i join a server all i hear is a lot of chopped up voice bits and pieces. it's pretty much the default state now. it's really too bad. it was just fine until someone broke it. no need to expand. just fix it. that has nothing to do with ACRE or priorities or anything. it's just a main feature totally broken in it's current state.

i miss the days of spontanous coordination with randoms on public servers :( 

• Like 1

If you look at Squad (I haven't played it myself) it seems like the gameplay should be quite easy to copy/make with an A3 mission, A3 as a game also seems way more mature (no surprise). But why is it not worth to create that mission? VON is the reason. If we had a reliable good VON we could have the same gameplay on open vanilla server, and that is a gameplay which imo A3 is perfect for.

i miss the days of spontanous coordination with randoms on public servers :(

Yes

the damage to the community has been done. I believe it is quantifiable, the number of people who simply don't play ArmA anymore because of broken VON (and its effects).

"shut up and stop talking" 

is one of the first thing newbies hear on ArmA 3 multiplayer, no surprise they don't stay long.

• Like 3

QFT

I can't stress this enough. Most pubs thrive on people who are occasional players. You can't expect hem to use mods. Mods are a feature for the hard core users, really.

I must agree. I'm such a occasional public server player despite playing the series for 14 years.

btw, spanishsurfer's server is basically one of only two unmodded servers left for warfare CTI worldwide.

Just want to say that how outrageous not having a properly working VON in Arma 3.
How long will it be ignored? And please don't come with that "you can just use *putOneOfTheRadioModsHere*".

I just cannot fully express my opinion about this without going into rage mode having my post deleted/myself banned.

For the love of God... fix it already!

• Like 1

Gonna add my 2 pence worth here.

Within the community I play with we only use Vanilla content without exception when we open the server to the public on a Friday and Saturday night.

We also do not use TS3 within the game itself, we only use TS3 for admin purposes.  We always use the ingame VON.  Overall we get by and after a while on the server VON does work flawlessly, it is only at the beginning of missions when we need to type stuff to get communications across to people.  10 mins later and all is fine.  We have found that if you turn your channel to direct and hold down your comms button then VON does come a lot clearer.  Not the best solution but it works for some.

Yes, VON needs an overall / fixing but it isn't a game breaker as long as people know what to expect from it.

Let's face it, public servers are dead, and quite frankly I have no problem with that. You want simulation? Join a community. You want shooty shoot casual fun times? Buy a Battlefield game. We don't need VON. We have ACRE.

Where did you get idea that public servers are dead?I can play on vannila public server with 60 people most of the time.

(invade and annex)

• Like 1

Let's face it, public servers are dead, and quite frankly I have no problem with that. You want simulation? Join a community. You want shooty shoot casual fun times? Buy a Battlefield game. We don't need VON. We have ACRE.

There we go...

Edit: Please remove your milsim elitist blindfold before you post :D

There we go...

Edit: Please remove your milsim elitist blindfold before you post :D

LOL, as I read war_lords comment....I see GIPPO's PUBLIC servers have over 120 people playing Tee Times....Yeah, they're so dead!

Yes

the damage to the community has been done. I believe it is quantifiable, the number of people who simply don't play ArmA anymore because of broken VON (and its effects).

"shut up and stop talking" 

is one of the first thing newbies hear on ArmA 3 multiplayer, no surprise they don't stay long.

I agree, except:

"sh... up a... sto... t...ing" 

• Like 2

I know right? Once I saw a video,  I think the server was running Invade&Annex, and they had a hint saying something like "voice is broken, join teamspeak". I'm tired of saying  typing "do not use voice, it's broken" every time a player uses voice comm.

I know right? Once I saw a video,  I think the server was running Invade&Annex, and they had a hint saying something like "voice is broken, join teamspeak". I'm tired of saying  typing "do not use voice, it's broken" every time a player uses voice comm.

I also say this every time...followed by, "Our TeamSpeak channel is ....."