Sign in to follow this  
joejoe87577

Why Bohemia Why?

I couldn't find good thread for this so i'm making a new one.

Why Bohmia Why?

I've recently upgraded my GPU to a Inno 3d GTX980 TI and overclocked my I5 3570k from 3.4Ghz to 4.2Ghz. This Card is a real beast, i've had no Problems at all running the latest games on very high to Ultra Settings.

For Example:

The Witcher 3 Ultra Settings solid 60 FPS (vsync)

GTA 5 Ultra Settings (gras off, Extended graphic Options also ultra) solid 60 FPS (vsync)

Elite Dangerous Ultra Settings solid 60 FPS (vsync)

I could write more, but you get my Point.

It is not about the general Problems like the cpu utlization, the handling of many ai, the Overhead on the net code or anything.

I have a very simple question:

Why is my Framerating dropping by 20 (twenty) FPS on Stratis, completly empty just a Little Bird and me and i'm only switching between internal and external view...

The engine is not running, so no heavy shadow calculation. No AI anywhere on the map, no scripts running, no Mission running. Just the plain Editor.

It is not the Mission makers fault, or the Server is to crappy. No it is just me, my pc and arma.

Why Bohemia, why is it like this?

I couldn't find good thread for this so i'm making a new one.

Why Bohmia Why?

I've recently upgraded my GPU to a Inno 3d GTX980 TI and overclocked my I5 3570k from 3.4Ghz to 4.2Ghz. This Card is a real beast, i've had no Problems at all running the latest games on very high to Ultra Settings.

For Example:

The Witcher 3 Ultra Settings solid 60 FPS (vsync)

GTA 5 Ultra Settings (gras off, Extended graphic Options also ultra) solid 60 FPS (vsync)

Elite Dangerous Ultra Settings solid 60 FPS (vsync)

I could write more, but you get my Point.

It is not about the general Problems like the cpu utlization, the handling of many ai, the Overhead on the net code or anything.

I have a very simple question:

Why is my Framerating dropping by 20 (twenty) FPS on Stratis, completly empty just a Little Bird and me and i'm only switching between internal and external view...

The engine is not running, so no heavy shadow calculation. No AI anywhere on the map, no scripts running, no Mission running. Just the plain Editor.

It is not the Mission makers fault, or the Server is to crappy. No it is just me, my pc and arma.

Why Bohemia, why is it like this?

I am sorry but what you have is not normal.

Yes, the game has some troubles in matters of performance, but in the case that you are presenting something is not properly configured in your end.

Edited by Bratwurste

Yes joejoe, its YOUR fault!!

Why JoeJoe87577 Why?

I am sorry but what you have is not normal.

Yes, the game has some troubles in matters of performance, but in the case that you are presenting something is not properly configured in your end.

Agreed, granted I don't run A3 at high settings (textures have to be though but more often than not you're simply expecting the game to be run at the highest settings and "awesome performance" has to be had. Last year my old laptop would run a mission with no FPS hits and I heard other players whine and moan about how "they have framerate hits" while I'm running it fine, so maybe crank down, or optimize your settings based on what your computer can do.

My 980 runs A3 with a solid 40+ FPS. Settings ranging from high to ultra, exept for AA, wich is silly when you play at 2160P.

I'd say this is a problem on your end. Did you perform a steam integrity check?

My 980 runs A3 with a solid 40+ FPS. Settings ranging from high to ultra, exept for AA, wich is silly when you play at 2160P.

I'd say this is a problem on your end. Did you perform a steam integrity check?

I only got a gtx 970, on editor I'm at 40 to 60 everything on ultra view distance 3000. Perhaps you have view distance at more than 3000?

Using full ssd machine.

Doesn't the FoV change when you switch to 3rd person and thus more scenery must be rendered?

You should be pulling lots of frames. The problem with many players, and this is nothing against you, many do the same. That is, blame the game before first looking inwards at your setup. Its a problem that plagues this series.

For your setup, up in the woods on Stratis easily 100+ frames. In town 70/80+fps. That's on an empty map with a 3000 vd, everything on Ultra with AA x8. Based on a 1920x1080 running at 3.7ghz (that was when I did the test not long back, having down-clocked from 4.4ghz).

Try looking at your setup again, did you build it yourself ?

Let me guess? View distance setting maxed out? Try View distance of 3000 and object distance 800 and shadows at 200. The view and object sliders does not have a sensible upper limit so it's easy to completely break the games performance using these two sliders.

Let me guess? View distance setting maxed out? Try View distance of 3000 and object distance 800 and shadows at 200. The view and object sliders does not have a sensible upper limit so it's easy to completely break the games performance using these two sliders.

3k is what I run for VD but I'm not sure how you can handle an OVD of only 800? Don't you get sick of the pop in of trees/buildings etc?

Comparing fps in this game without adding info about mission played, graphic settings, info about your rig, SP/MP, amount of units involved and what mods you're running is basically a waste of time.

Alright...

Settings Ultra

Viewdistance 3000/2500/100

MSAA 4x

1920*1080

ArmA 3 on HDD

Rig is in my signature

I've deleted my config when I upgraded the GPU and reset everything in arma.

No Mission played, I was in the emtpy editor.

But all this doesn't explain why I have 50FPS in the cockpit view and 70FPS in the 3rd Person View.

Edit: No Mods, Vanilla ArmA

@Jackel326: It is not even about the CPU. I had no scripts and no ai running...

Edited by JoeJoe87577

But all this doesn't explain why I have 50FPS in the cockpit view and 70FPS in the 3rd Person View.

Just curious. How many would you want? :confused:

50 FPS it's an outstanding rate.

Traditional cinema has 24 FPS. And the high speed one 48 FPS.

Alright...

Settings Ultra

Viewdistance 3000/2500/100

MSAA 4x

1920*1080

ArmA 3 on HDD

Rig is in my signature

I've deleted my config when I upgraded the GPU and reset everything in arma.

No Mission played, I was in the emtpy editor.

Edit: No Mods, Vanilla ArmA

@Jackel326: It is not even about the CPU. I had no scripts and no ai running...

It'd be PIP on the mirrors, PIP disables in third person

Just curious. How many would you want? :confused:

50 FPS it's an outstanding rate.

Traditional cinema has 24 FPS. And the high speed one 48 FPS.

Frame rate and the way that people perceive it is more complicated than "movies run at 24 FPS." For several reasons, comparing movies to video games when discussing frame rate is generally not ideal.

Frame rate and the way that people perceive it is more complicated than "movies run at 24 FPS." For several reasons, comparing movies to video games when discussing frame rate is generally not ideal.

Well. Then let's check a well known video-game developer like the Naughty Dog studio, that said that their aim is 30 FPS in their games.

It'd be PIP on the mirrors, PIP disables in third person

Yep PiP drops fps dramatically. I even think that it has worsened by 5-10fps since 1.42 or 1.44. Hard to get 60fps even when standing still with a vehicle and I'm pretty sure I had 60fps with PiP sometimes.

Well. Then let's check a well known video-game developer like the Naughty Dog studio, that said that their aim is 30 FPS in their games.

Or we could check with well known developer Infinity Ward who have made 60 FPS the target for their games, even on consoles.

Again, this is a more complicated issue than you're really making it out to be. There are many factors that can influence how people perceive frame rate.

Low frame rate tends to be more noticeable in games with a lot of quick pans and whole screen motion, such as shooters. In slower paced games with less rapid camera movements like exploration games, platformers, strategy games, and the like, lower frame rate tends to be less noticeable. The type of camera movement is also a factor. If your camera moving forward through a corridor at incredibly high speed, low frame rates may not be very noticeable. If your camera is rotating in place at moderate speed, low frame rates may be very noticeable.

People are also different. Some people have a very high tolerance for lower frame rates, while some have a very low tolerance.

And, to relate this back to the OP's complaint: sudden, large dips in frame rate are generally more perceptible than constant lower frame rates. Sudden dips from 70 to 50 FPS and back up again may well be perceived as stuttering, even to someone who would be fine playing at a constant 40 FPS.

And this is not even close to a full discussion of frame rate. This is a complicated, contentious issue even in film. It's not like 24 FPS became a film standard because it was the best option. It was the cheapest, most acceptable option in a time when film was expensive.

Yep PiP drops fps dramatically. I even think that it has worsened by 5-10fps since 1.42 or 1.44. Hard to get 60fps even when standing still with a vehicle and I'm pretty sure I had 60fps with PiP sometimes.

Yeah PIP drops my frame rate by 20 FPS sitting on the runway in an MH-9, so it seems fair to say that this is probably the OP's issue.

30 fps are more than suffice, but the really problem is the "up and down " of the fps in game specially in PVP MP

His viewdistance is probably 20000m.

Again, this is a more complicated issue than you're really making it out to be. There are many factors that can influence how people perceive frame rate.

What are you talking about? :confused:

I'm not making anything. I just asked, for curiosity, why the OP complained. And I exposed few references (check my two posts). All the rest, product of your imagination. :rock:

Hm... what settings are you using in the nVidia Control Panel? There are some settings in the ArmA 3 Launcher as well (although leaving them at their defaults should work fine). Your in-game settings should have gave you pretty good frame rate. I am not at home to try it out, but I think my desktop, with GTX590 and an older i7 CPU, can run smoother on ultra than what you've got, so something is up with your setup.

Movies can run at 24 fps and feel smooth (mostly) is because the subject is always, well, the subject on the screen. In some chase scenes, if you actually try to look at the background, its movement is actually quite chunky. Not to mention that my mum always feel nauseated after watching movies that overused shaky cam... Games do need a higher FPS to feel smooth because things are much more dynamic, and there is the fact that having too low an FPS would makes input feels unnaturally delayed.

Anyways, I think a lot of people are aiming for 60 fps, as it was the 'standard' refresh rate of LCD monitors a while back. Personally I am quite okay with 30-40, since for some odd reasons I am always upgrading/changing my computer years before games that I like were released :( Some games (even FPS, pun intended) feel smooth enough even at 30 fps, but how that comes about depends on the game design itself.

His viewdistance is probably 20000m.

He stated what his viewdistance was and it's nowhere near 20km. It's 3000 for terrain, 2500 for objects, and 100 for shadows.

What are you talking about? :confused:

I'm not making anything. I just asked, for curiosity, why the OP complained. And I exposed few references (check my two posts). All the rest, product of your imagination. :rock:

Okay, well then disregard the part of my post where I said that and read the rest of it. It explains (roughly) why someone might be concerned about getting 50 FPS, and why 24 or 48 FPS being good enough for movies doesn't necessarily mean that it's good enough for games.

If any of my posts came off as combative, then I apologize. It wasn't my intention. It looked to me like you were oversimplifying a rather complex issue by comparing it with a medium to which it's not easily comparable. If your question was serious, I can provide some links to websites that explain this stuff in more detail.

Edited by roshnak