Solano

Real Light V6 - ReShade Preset [WIP]

Real Light V6 - ReShade Preset

http://sh8.videopilot.link/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/threadcover.jpg (339 kB)

It´s been a while since I finished V5. Since then the guys over at

ReShade.me didn´t stopped updating their work, enhancing and pushing it

further and further. Since my Preset is based on older Versions of

ReShade it got a bit difficult over the time to use it right away in the

game we all love. Not saying it is impossible or real hard to install

but there is room for improvement by now.

Real Light V5 always had some flaws when it came to intense bright

situations on already white walls depending on the solar altitude. These

were trade offs I made back then. Not saying this example never bugged

me. Some Blue Values especially of the Sky also got a bit distorted here

and there depending on Weather and daytime which was also an argument to

make a Version 6 of Real Light.

So with new techniques which I learned in the last months I decided to

improve Real Light and take it another step further to enhance the

ingame experience of Arma 3 for you. For now this is just an

announcement I wanted to make for all those who are interested in the

project but of course I want to show some results I have been able to

achieve.

A gallery of the latest state of V6 can be viewed here on my project

page: http://sh8.videopilot.link/arma3/real-light-v6/

NOTES

I reduced the loss of details in extreme bright areas to a minimum

never achieved before. There will be situations where at some angles

white walls which are catching bright sun light will look burnt out. But

these are pretty rare and even on the maximum white spot in the vanilla

graphics.

I attained a more natural sky color in general in this version in

contrast to the previous one.

The banding you can see on the screenshots are eliminated ingame thanks

to a new shader in ReShade. They are just got brought back because of

the compression of the images.

In this version I inserted an Ambient Light which enhances the overall

Look and proprioception. Unfortunately this Effect costs around 7 FPS on

my machine which is powered by a GTX580 and an i7-4790K and 16 GB RAM.

What this means for you and your Personal Computer has to get tested.

The overall FPS impact without the Ambient Light effect is still 1-2 FPS

at max.

I planned to offer different variations of RL V6 regarding the intensity

of saturation for example. Besides that there are plans to create

different looks based on the achieved brightness of RL V6. Conceivable

are looks to create a more movie like atmosphere or other different

Color Schemes. To give you an example of what I mean you can visit this

page. These are different looks I created for GTA V. They will be

exchangeable very easy for those who are interested in some new looks

for Arma 3. The default download comes with the enhanced Vanilla look of

Arma of course as usual.

I am looking forward to your Feedback and questions.

Regards

Solano

PS

For those who aren´t familiar with Real Light for Arma 3 you can visit my project page and of course the thread on this Forum for more information.

Edited by Solano
  • Like 1

I really hope that this version will work for all of us. If not , I must admit, this update is painful.

I really hope that this version will work for all of us. If not , I must admit, this update is painful.

Hi Nikiforos - If you can run the latest ReShade + Framework (0.19.2) you definitely can run RL V6 once released.

Great stuff, the difference when pressing scroll lock to toggle on/off is jarring, default Arma looks absolutely terrible in comparison.

Ui, an update...great...looking forward to it. I just love your work!

Great stuff, the difference when pressing scroll lock to toggle on/off is jarring, default Arma looks absolutely terrible in comparison.

I pretend it's sunglasses mode.

Is there any way of automatical disabling ReShade whenever I enter map view or editor? I find this mod visually pleasing and I'd love to use it but it's annoying to me when looking at bright, white surfaces not being in-game 3d rendered imagery, such as maps. Also text in menu and hud elements look sorta weird after applying all of the effects.

Yep.... press scroll lock.... automatically fixes it for you...

Is there any way of automatical disabling ReShade whenever I enter map view or editor? I find this mod visually pleasing and I'd love to use it but it's annoying to me when looking at bright, white surfaces not being in-game 3d rendered imagery, such as maps. Also text in menu and hud elements look sorta weird after applying all of the effects.

Hi Arkhir - I am glad you like Real Light!

I just had an Idea.

You could try to bind the ReShade Toggle Key to your Map Key. This way you would "automatically" toggle it off when looking into the map. For the Editor I don´t know if your Map key is bound to something else in there...

How you can do that have I answered in my FAQ.

Regards

Hey, great news you´r updating this awesome mod! A good thing you are aware of the problem with the loss of details.

The new comparison shots are perfect except one thing. The saturation of the vegetation is a little bit too heavy (too green) in my opinion.

The saturation of the vegetation is a little bit too heavy (too green) in my opinion.

Hi JumpingHubert thank you for the first Feedback!

Jeah I can see your point.

From my perspective it is conclusive that the flora and fauna has its most saturated state at such bright sunny cloudless weather.

As you can see in some overcast situations the green is much much less saturated.

But I know that there are mostly two factions when it comes to saturation with my mod. And we are most aware for this particular color.

Then there are the different display settings etc etc.

I will keep your feedback definitely in mind. Thanks for that.

Anyone else who thinks the green is too saturated?

Feedback is very welcome.

I just had a fresh look and they look pretty good IMO, I'm not seeing them as over saturated, least not on this device.

+1 green was too saturated on v5... obviously not seen v6 yet. But I suspect unless we're all using colour corrected screens there will always be some subjectivity.

+1 green was too saturated on v5... obviously not seen v6 yet. But I suspect unless we're all using colour corrected screens there will always be some subjectivity.

Here are some Screens: http://sh8.videopilot.link/arma3/real-light-v6/

Yes to the screen subjectivity.

Thanks for the feedback

Based on those pics I would notch down saturation on all three channels.... say 10 - 15%.

Green does seem to come across slightly too strong for me. Especially when run on A2 maps. Where it's very obvious

On the one hand in southern hemisphere on sunny days ALL colors have much more intense than in northern europe hemisphere. On the other hand there is one exception of this: Vegetation. In dry and hot regions most green vegetation is more greyish with a blue note like laurel/bay.

My monitor is well calibrated, all gimmicks like autocontrast or cinematic modes and such a crap are deactivated:).

@serjames

10-15% less saturation on all channels sounds a good step.

Edited by JumpingHubert

On the one hand in southern hemisphere on sunny days ALL colors have much more intense than in northern europe hemisphere. On the other hand there is one exception of this: Vegetation. In dry and hot regions most green vegetation is more greyish with a blue note like laurel/bay.

My monitor is well calibrated, all gimmicks like autocontrast or cinematic modes and such a crap are deactivated:).

@serjames

10-15% less saturation on all channels sounds a good step.

Thanks for that hint.

I will look for more reference material regard(en)ing that. Couldn´t resist.

Speaking of reference material. Does anyone has a good source of reference Images of Lemnos in the best case?

And don´t worry about the saturation topic in general - There will be definitely a Color Scheme with less Saturation.

Is there a sharpen filter in the mod? The game already has a configurable one, so I really hope that you didn't add your own OVER that because that will be messy and annoying for people like me who hate sharpness filters. Course if you just enabled the sharpen filter for your screenshots to try and make em look better that isn't much better.

Honestly I think people should just take 5 minutes to calibrate their screens and mess with the in game gamma.

I'm also pretty sure you tweaked some in game settings like bloom as well to exaggerate the benefits of your mod, but I could be wrong.

Edited by MordeaniisChaos

Is there a sharpen filter in the mod? The game already has a configurable one, so I really hope that you didn't add your own OVER that because that will be messy and annoying for people like me who hate sharpness filters. Course if you just enabled the sharpen filter for your screenshots to try and make em look better that isn't much better.

Honestly I think people should just take 5 minutes to calibrate their screens and mess with the in game gamma.

I'm also pretty sure you tweaked some in game settings like bloom as well to exaggerate the benefits of your mod, but I could be wrong.

Hi MordeaniisChaos,

I personally use a sharpen filter with ReShade and you see em on the screenshots. The sharpening from arma itself have I set to "10". I like the Lumasharpen of ReShade better but that is my personal taste I don´t force anyone to use like I didn´t in V5. I wrote a short note on my page on how to enable it for yourself if you like because I am aware of the distortion you get when both sharpening methods collide.

With this new Version I will proceed the same way. It will be off by default - but ready to go for users (like me) who likes it.

I totally agree with you that taking the time to calibrate it correctly is worth it.

The Bloom parameter in my settings while taking the shots was at around "65" - I my opinion that is not exaggerated.

Regards

Dunno man, seems brighter but still flat? it feels like i want to turn the brightness down a notch and crank the saturation up slightly.. haha i dunno ill leave it you experts, anything is an improvement :)

Quick Update:

Less saturated Version with less intense Green.

http://imgur.com/a/ARKTz#1

I am done for today guys.

Sorry for this little post only :yawn:

I love it! Cant wait for the release! Though Hopefully one day I can run it without crashing :)