Cype_Revenge

[WIP] Terrain Diyala province Iraq

Hey cool! Thanks! I'm sure as the map maker and generally awesome dude you are, you'd probably have some killer ideas for things I could add. Any suggestions at all, positive or negative, are welcome.

I had to make some concessions due to performance. The thick bush palm tree areas really hit FPS hard so I cut back just a tad because I wanted people to actually be able to explore and experience Diyala and not alienate those without a top of the line PC (which I have. And it can struggle at times even for me, but it *should* be much more stable in a MP environment rather than the SP environment I made it in...which is another added bonus for the LAN/dedicated server requirement for the mission). The most important thing now is that the map is playable but also not empty feeling either. I'm happy with the balance I have here but feedback is more than welcome and indeed encouraged. This aspect will be most critical so let me know what you guys think.

Also, I fully intend to make this an insurgency mission (or make an separate insurgency on Diyala with this as the template), so hopefully in time, you or Tupolov will figure out why civs can't spawn in/near a lot of the buildings.

All in all though, I'm very thrilled with what's been put together. I have a couple tweaks already in mind but wanted to open it up to the community before committing to anything.

Have fun in Diyala guys. For more instructions on how to play and what the features of an ALiVE mission entails, feel free to check out the wiki: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Fundamentals

Or shoot me a PM.

I also have some very in-depth breakdowns for how to use the ALiVE Commander Tablet in the thread for my Prophet mission (link in my signature). Although that is an insurgency mission, a lot of the principals are the same. I have several posts in that thread which should help people out, especially with how to use Transport, Combat Support and Logistics.

Have fun exploring the map guys. :)

• Like 1

LOL! So don't be alarmed if you hear an explosion on mission start in my Diyala mission. This is due to a new feature ALiVE introduced and will be fixed after their next hotfix. I didn't happen when I was playing it before so apparently their new random clutter option for logistics genuinely spawns clutter in random spots (near the transport choppers) and occasionally on mission start it can go bang! :)

yeah played it now for a few hours, and it makes a lot of fun :)

i am sure in MP this will be more funny as on SP......

Playing with Alive (SP)  and against AI in one of the cities its really nasty, would not know how many times I was killed :P

• Like 1

Hey Cype,  found some misaligned overhead cables in grid 009058.

LZWrTuQ.jpg?1  

• Like 1

Hey guys. I pushed though a little update of my ALiVE on Diyala mission. This will be the last time I bump this thread for this purpose other than of course to link everyone to the official release (and maybe also in the event I figure out a way to get an insurgency working on the map, which other have been asking me about, too).

Anyway, thanks for the awesome map Cype_Revenge! It's truly a classic! :)

Hey guys. I pushed though a little update of my ALiVE on Diyala mission. This will be the last time I bump this thread for this purpose other than of course to link everyone to the official release (and maybe also in the event I figure out a way to get an insurgency working on the map, which other have been asking me about, too).

Anyway, thanks for the awesome map Cype_Revenge! It's truly a classic! :)

great awesome :)

np dude :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Excellent map, really detailed.

Maybe bit too many trees though, FPS takes quite a hit on this map.

• Like 1

Excellent map, really detailed.

Maybe bit too many trees though, FPS takes quite a hit on this map.

Thanks svarun,

yeah i know about the FPS, working on it.

• Like 3

Glad to hear that!

Keep up the good work, much appreciated.

Ive noticed that lot of the palm tree tops are impenetrable. The hitbox of the "leafs" is also much larger than the leaf itself so you cant even shoot around them because u keep hitting an invisible wall. Tanoa palm trees would be neat.

Oh good news. The ALiVE Devs seem to have fixed the civ spawning issue on their dev version (they discovered a rare bug which inadvertently fixing I guess solves this problem too :) ).

Sweet. I'm gonna rework the mission I made into an insurgency (because they are way more fun), and will probably now change NATO into RHS and Massi's Middle Easterner's into Project OPFOR's ISIS.

Hey Cype,

found some more misplaced cables at the airbase infront of the hangars.

Regards

Chaser

thanks i check it :)

if you have some coordinates.....

its easier for me to find it

Hey Cype! I'm not sure how your optimization is going, and I'm not even suggesting it "needs to be done ever" or what have you, but having played on Da Krong in Unsung recently and Tanoa as well, I'm shocked at how well the Apex tree assets perform, even in very very very high density.

It's pretty clear that the "palm trees" or whatever they're called are what's holding Diyala back performance-wise. I know I originally said I was against you entertaining the idea of making Apex a requirement, but seeing how optimized the assets are first hand and spending a bit of time with them (and going back to Diyala) I've changed my mind.

Anyway, I know you've been hard at work on your end so the point is probably moot. I'm just saying if it's not going well there is a solution IMO, albeit not an ideal one I will admit. I'd hate to see people cut off from Diyala, but at least as it stands now, even very high end computers (like mine) will have a tough time.

• Like 4

Hey Cype,

found some more misplaced cables at the airbase infront of the hangars.

Regards

Chaser

just ignore it...it was an unknown misplaced object on my side  :16_6_8:

Hey Cype! I'm not sure how your optimization is going, and I'm not even suggesting it "needs to be done ever" or what have you, but having played on Da Krong in Unsung recently and Tanoa as well, I'm shocked at how well the Apex tree assets perform, even in very very very high density.

It's pretty clear that the "palm trees" or whatever they're called are what's holding Diyala back performance-wise. I know I originally said I was against you entertaining the idea of making Apex a requirement, but seeing how optimized the assets are first hand and spending a bit of time with them (and going back to Diyala) I've changed my mind.

Anyway, I know you've been hard at work on your end so the point is probably moot. I'm just saying if it's not going well there is a solution IMO, albeit not an ideal one I will admit. I'd hate to see people cut off from Diyala, but at least as it stands now, even very high end computers (like mine) will have a tough time.

last time i made some tests, deleting all the palms on the map (to make sure) to see how they are heawy for the fps....

I am going well with my computer on Diyala i have about the same fps as on Altis, but not all the people have a GTX 980 or similar card.

Other idea is to change the palms with the originals from Arma, but they are looking very bad in game (but ingrease about 20 fps)!

Tanoa assests for now i can´t use, they are not released from Bis, i can´t open the pbo (ebo file)....

Maybe i release a Palms pack ported from Arma, so anybody can decide what he wants to use.

just ignore it...it was an unknown misplaced object on my side  :16_6_8:

no problem :)

• Like 1

Hello Cype,

Any plan for a CUP version ? JBAD is really a pain regarding performances / size.

Anyway, I don't know if I congratulated you for this awesome map ;)

I'd just like to pile on the praise for this map as well, I'm having a lot of fun on it so far. I've been fortunate enough to test out Heroesandvillains insurgency mission which is cerainy worth the wair.

I'm also getting a performance hit which I am pretty sure is down to the trees. I don't yet own Apex but if you did happen to use those assets I guess I'd go and buy it!

• Like 1

I'd second the use of Tanoa assets... i.e. palms.

I think that many people were saying the same about inconvenience and having to own the DLC when Arrowhead DLC suddenly became available... 6 months later you were considered nuts if you didn't have that. Have to move with the times in my opinion and Tanoa assets are fantastic and would really finish off your map without compromising FPS.

They are usable now without being able to "de-pbo" the EBO... The Vietnam Unsung team are already using them on their maps as referenced by Hero.  I assume you just need to find the config classname and replace your trees with that reference. No need to unpack anything...

Anyway, I enjoy seeing this evolve.

SJ

• Like 3

Hello Cype,

Any plan for a CUP version ? JBAD is really a pain regarding performances / size.

Anyway, I don't know if I congratulated you for this awesome map ;)

I'm definitely no expert on what assets cause performance problems. But having spent a decent amount of time on the map recently, I don't see how it's anything other than the trees themselves. The second you get into the "wooded" areas, the drop in performance is substantial. Out "in the open" near the villages and cities and whatnot seems fine but again, I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on that if someone can show otherwise.

a3\vegetation_f_exp\crop\t_banana_f.p3d

a3\vegetation_f_exp\crop\t_banana_slim_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\crop\t_banana_wild_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\lianas\d_lianatangle_narrow_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\lianas\d_lianatangle_wide_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\shrub\b_calochlaena_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\shrub\b_cestrum_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\shrub\b_cycas_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\shrub\b_leucaena_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\shrub\b_pipermeth_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\tree\t_albizia_f.p3d 

a3\vegetation_f_exp\tree\t_cocosnucifera2s_small_f.p3d