Bad_Karma

AI not using Grenade Launchers, Grenades and spamming "I'm out of AMMO".

A3 noob here. I recently started playing DUWS-Rebirth interactive campaign mod. https://github.com/DUWS-R-Team/DUWS-R

I used the Vitual Arsenal to equip my squad to actually look like and to be kitted out like real Operators. (Mod makers please lose all the bandana's and masks). Basically I load a saved loadout, drop it on the ground and have my AI squad equip the gear. It works better when I have a ammo crate using the /inventory command. I load the kit on my character, place it in the crate, then I use the inventory function for each squad mate, send them to the crate and have them equip the gear. I then equip their gear then load another saved loadout so the AI's equipment isn't littering the landscape or taking up space in the crates.

Anyway, after getting my squad all decked out with Modded uniforms, equipment, and weapons, several squad members are spamming the "out of ammo" line. I check their kit and they have ammo for all weapons. They have a mag or belt inserted into their weapons. They fire their weapons. I tried the "reload" command but the "out of ammo" response is relentless and ruins gameplay. I switched some back to their MX weapons, but they still keep spamming those "out of ammo" messages. Is it because they don't recognize the LBE, Backpacks, weapons and uniforms that they have equipped.. ie the ammo in that modded gear doesn't register? Some mods use special ammo tied to the weapon equipped. Perhaps the AI isn't programmed to recognize or utilize this ammo?

I didn't get these messages in Hunter Six, but it's relentless in DUWs-Rebirth.

Another problem I've found in both DUWs and Hunter Six mods is that my AI squad mates NEVER use grenade launchers or throw grenades. I've yet to see enemy AI use GL or nades since I've starting using mods. The vanilla campaign is the only time I've seen AI use these assets so I'm wondering what I'm doing to break my scenarios.

My mods:

ASCZ heads

ASDG JR

ASRAI3

Blastcore: Phoenix

Blood Mist

CBAv1.123

JSRS3: DragonFyre

L Immerse

Laxemann's Climb

LAxemann's Mount

NATO SF & SPETSNAZ Weapons and Uniforms(Massi)

NATO DEVGRU, NAVSOF Weaps/Uniforms(Massi)

NATO Russian SF Vehicles v 1.0(Massi)

PG Services PMC v01JUN15

Simple Single Player Cheat Menu

Switch Weapons while moving

Tactical Beards

Tao Folding Map

TPW MODS

TRYK's Multi-Play Uniforms pack

WWAICOVER

Unused Animations

Spec 4 Gear

TFA-Naval Special Warfare Gear

Edited by Bad_Karma

Hi Idk about the grenade launchers but the out of ammo might be do to something found on this thread where there was same issue:

AI keeps saying I need more ammo?

http://tinyurl.com/qez8u6x

Link from my AI Compilation List (link in my sig).

Another small buff & shine needed that makes a big difference taking away the early game frustration of "WTF, why don't you have ammo #2?". Little unfinished shoestring ties should be the job of the Q&A team that simply wont greenlight the go ahead until ironed out.

Out of ammo is a pretty big deal when initiating and assault so either more information is needed (if only in text even) ie "Out of Ammo (1 Rocket)" or just don't say it at all if its not there primary weapon.

Cheers on the replies, and the link to the "out of ammo" discussion. I have each of my squad with only one spare pistol mag for weight considerations. I've never seen my AI down to the pistol so I figured one spare mag is plenty. That might be the problem. One spare mag for any weapon automatically triggering the spamming of that message.

Even if that is the case.... My God is it annoying hearing "out of ammo" from multiple squad members every 20 to 30 seconds during a 4 hour mission. The logic engine should trigger the message twice per man then STOP SPAMMiNG the message. And they're not "Black on ammo, ie "out of ammo" when they have a full mag in the weapon and one in reserve. When they're truly down to the last magazine a one time message "last mag" should play ONE time.

Turning off the voice overs isn't really an acceptable answer if you want to hear your AI squad mates affirming movement orders, calling out the enemies that only they can see, calling out when they're wounded, etc. That's absolutely critical information you really need to hear.

As far as AI squad mates using their name launchers, last night I left my Grenadiers(recruited as Grenadiers) with the weapon they spawned with and they still didn't fire ONE single 40 mm round or throw one Frag or smoke grenade during an hour long firefight I had last night playing DUWS-Rebirth. I don't think it's unique to that Mission.

I've played about 4 hours of "Hunter Six" with at least 2 AI Grenadiers in my squad every time I go outside the wire and I've never seen them fire the nade launcher or throw one Grenade. What's odd is that I'm running ASR mod, and in a YOuTube video I watched, with AI fighting AI, testing 3 different AI mods, ASR was the only AI behavior mod where the AI actually used the grenade launchers.

Does any aspect of TPW have any history of fouling AI behavior as far as using their grenade launchers or throwing hand grenades? I never paid much attention in the Vanilla campaign, do friendly AI ever use their nade launchers or toss names in the vanilla game? I know enemy AI use launchers but now that I think of it I never recall seeing(or hearing) friendly AI use the launcher.

Edited by Bad_Karma

I confirm that AI soldiers, both friendly and enemy, throw grenades.

In particular if you give them short range weapons they prefer grenades over the weapon.

I cannot get AI to fire a grenade launcher so long as he has rifle ammo. In testing I stripped AI soldiers of rifle ammo provided plenty of 40mm rounds and they blow the enemy off the map!

Default AI happily use there grenade launchers at me, this on Dev.

AI will happily use launched grenades against vehicles, but are reluctant to use them against infantry in current dev build.

This may be a recently introduced issue, I'm sure they were using them against infantry not long ago... Maybe related to the AIAmmoUsageFlags config values mentioned here: http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00110

Edited by ceeeb

Default AI happily use there grenade launchers at me, this on Dev.

True. Enemy AI seem to have no trouble targeting and employing 40mm versus me and my squad. I have 2 Grenadiers minimum in every squad(I always run my Medics with 40mm) and I've yet to see them ever use the 40mm. Not only are they not using 40mm, none of my AI squad mates ever use smoke or frags. If allied AI can't use it on their own because..??.. at least allow the player to command the AI squad mates to throw smokes, or frags, along with a "load 40mm frag/smoke/flare" for our Grenadiers.

What I don't get is how can the independent enemy AI make use of grenade launchers, but not the AI in my squad?

AI soldiers will never throw smoke. Even if it is the only weapon they carry. I suspect it is because smoke cannot kill.

AI soldiers will throw grenades only if the enemy are in range. Remove all rifles and give the AI pistols and grenades and they choose grenades over pistols.

AI soldiers will fire grenade launchers sometimes and not other times. I don't know the logic. If you remove rifle ammo from an AI soldier they will gladly fire their grenades.

IF AI solders carry a mixture of smoke and frag grenades, or a mixture of smoke and frag 40mm rounds, sometimes the smoke rounds seem to appear in the eyes of the AI soldier, "at the top of the list". If smoke is at the top the AI will not throw/fire. If frags are at the top the AI will gladly throw/fire.

This last point I found by error. I gave a soldier some frag and smoke grenades and tried it out. Somehow the smoke grenades were to me available first.

So I removed all mods except for Dragonfyre, Blastcore Phoenix, and Massi's two uniform and weapons packs.

I'm playing DUWs - Rebirth, and much to my delight t my Grenadier AI not only fired his 40mm, but scored several kills. I'm pretty sure my Medic also using his 40mm.

I'm not sure if the problem was with TPW, ASR, WWAI Cover. Who knows with mods it could be anything that's why I cut down from 21 mods to 4.

AI soldiers will never throw smoke. Even if it is the only weapon they carry. I suspect it is because smoke cannot kill.

Fortunately, this is improved in the next stable update. They will use smoke for cover quite actively when they're suppressed.

From your list I have these:

ASDG JR
ASRAI3
CBAv1.123
JSRS3: DragonFyre

My AI is happily using both hand and UGL grenades.

Apparently in an update AI can throw smoke now/deploy it. Uhm nothing to do about the grenades. Simply remove it from their inventory with command: removeGrenade player;

(I believe that is the right init line command line)

Now about the AI shouting out things you can simply remove that annoying fake radio by installing this mod into your addons folder or collection. Not only does this remove the annoying sound but as well the annoying chat spam!

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/173907-beazleys-no-blufor-radio-protocol/