Sign in to follow this  
vran.

Which is your favourite ArmA game?

Favourite ArmA game? ArmA II and OFP.

It is really strange, but I still play OFP today. It has this feeling of horrific and merciless war going on there; moreover, it seems that there are more mods than for all three ArmA games combined (sounds good, right?). It’s a pleasure to play Dynamic Afghanistan or Dynamic Libya with weapons/units/vehicles/sound and AI enhancement mods. I am not even talking about official BIS missions and campaigns, they are thrillers. Characters, feeling, suspense, war-torn region and churches in the middle of it. Masterpiece.

Then we have ArmA II (with, let’s say, A.C.E.) It is one more masterpiece in the series. Endless features and unmatched authenticity, true simulator. A great atmosphere too, with this post-Soviet country. It is really funny to think now how bad it was at the moment of its release, seemed like a total failure :D

Armed Assault is just OK. But how should I put it… it is like without a spine. I don’t even remember the main campaign. BUT. Sahrani is really one of the most original maps BIS has ever created, with this demilitarized zone, climate zones shift, different architecture etc.

ArmA III is an interesting experiment, and a bunch of beautiful mods have been already released, but it is still too early to judge. Let’s wait. Nonetheless, IMO ArmA III eventually won’t leave that much legacy, will see...

Well its really hard to decide, I guess I like them all rather equally and played each of them to death over time.

OFP - great campaign, great amount of mods (though sadly harder to find nowadays), great custom campaigns ("Revolt 1998", "Last Months in Vietnam" and "Unexpected War" being my favorites), oh and your vision wasnt obstructed by grass. Most memorable of all games. Machine guns were kind of useless though. Oh and there is a Warhammer 40k mod with huge amount of content.

Armed Assault - though the campaign was really messy and had some logic issues (SLA lacking NVGs but still attacking at night?) still I enjoyed it and played the remake on ArmA2 where lots of bugs were exterminated (though a couple of new ones were added). As already mentioned Sahrani is one of the best islands out there. Also enjoyed playing some zombie mods on Namalsk.

ArmA2 - buggy mess at release and I still havent played the main campaign to the end, this game has really lots of quality content/mods in its actual state. Also the movement doesnt feels that restricted as in earlier games anymore. With OA we had such features like thermals and weapon ranging. Oh and you can play the remakes of OFP and Armed Assault as well of lots of islands ported from Armed Assault. Takes 100+ GB on my hard drive.

ArmA3 - AiATP allows you to play pretty much any island in ArmA3 and RHS are adding lots of current time content and the game has lots of new features. Really enjoyed the campain and had no complains about bugs.

My wish for next A3 update is a proper 3D editor capable of editing the map (like making houses half destroyed, placing craters, something akin to Men of War editor).

Edited by negah

ArmA2 content and story wise, best terrain in games so far.

ArmA3 for being a somewhat good platform, with a shittone of mods if easily outruns ArmA2 in terms of having actual both milsim and run-n-gun fun.

tho yeah. Definetly not some Unsung. He's the new kid.

SebNamPack 2 guys. SebNamPack2. Spend so many hours in Ia Drang...

Hi guys

took a 2 year long break from the forum.

For me it would be in following sequence

- OFP

- ArmA 2 +OA

- ArmA 3

- Armed Assault

I must say that I replayed the original campaigns in ArmA 2 CWR mod and I had a blast like back in old OFP times. The longevity of the series IMHO is to be attributed to all you modders. You alone with your creativity is the reason that this series is existing for 14 long years now. All the assets that you modders create for the game is the reason that I'm never bored. I change terrain and it seems to be already a complete different game not to talk about all the weapons units, vehicles it's just amazing. I was never able to check all things out that you guys create. I couldn't in OFP nor in any other game iteration which has been released . . . too much stuff to checkout everything. Even playing 24/7 it would take you years to discover everything. Therefore my gratitude stays in the first place with you modders. Thank you!!!!!

I bought ArmA 3 only 2 weeks ago and I'm still discovering things. I started directly with the last patch . I do not have any problems with the new stamina system but the weapon sway is difficult to handle for me. Even moving 10-20 meters in combat pace, wears you character down and my aim is screwed to the point that I can't hold my aim on target notwithstanding I'm holding breath. I like the graphics. I'm just in the middle of the Survive campaign. Already downloaded 60 GB of Mods LOL Mostly terrains which are my favorite addons so to speak without missing respect for all the other modders naturally. That goes without saying.

I never hated steam before . . . now I do. Gamersgate were removing titles from my library which have been bought as non steam titles and giving me  steam activation keys forcing me to open a steam account or say goodbye to the games. And this was not a singular case. There were some games that I'm pretty much fond of. I'm pretty much pissed about that.  Yeah I can go offline mod but in case I do not have my computer hooked into the net I can't play the games. WTF. I will never surrender my BIS keys for a steam key. FTS

Rant over!!!!

Ah you guys know . . . I like to make an entrance. :681:

:thumbsup:  1) OFP - good stable engine that even I manage to mod and damn huge amount of content - more than twenty countries with full set of army stuff, nearly all possible landscapes and battlezones -> almost infinite space for playing and mission-making.

:thumbsup:  2) ArmA2 - also good stable engine with better graphics and enlarged capabilities, good mods (although not so much of them as in OFP), also good vanilla setting and units.

:thumbsdown: ArmA1 is just a crap, you all know why.

:thumbsdown: ArmA3 - Steam dependency I don't want to bother with (the only reason of Steam still being installed on my PC is Half-Life series I like very much), crappy vanilla setting -> still hadn't bought it and won't buy until descent amount of non-sci-fi addons become available or Steam dependency will be removed. I'm smart enough to patch the game without any additional soft.

• Like 1

ArmA2, ArmA1, of course ArmA Cold War Assualt(OFP). Lost 5 yrs of my life playing original Flashpoint :lol:

1.OFP-gameplay,story,missions(BI never managed to repeat the greatness of OFP story and atmosphere of missions in later games) and addons.Back then people were producing lots and lots of new mods.I had about 7 dvds full of mods from awesome modders.BAS,BW Mod,RHS and many others.I also used to play OFP a lot with these mods but sadly a few years ago I lost my dvd collection in a fire so now I have only plain Arma Cold War Assault because I don't have time anymore to look for the mods I lost. :(

2.A2+OA-really a step forward for the series.Great content,Chernarus was the best terrain they created(I would have paid serious cash for a Novigrad expansion),graphics were\still are very good and mods,lots of juicy mods(which this time I backed them to multiple locations).Story and missions were ok until they screwed up the campaign by inserting mp missions into it.A big minus was also AI which couldn't cope or keep up with the changes.

3.Arma 3,didn't liked it one bit until last year when it started to mature and I started to play it a lot more than A2+OA.I enjoyed the futuristic setting,all the new engine additions and the new units.What I didn't liked was ancient AI probs in driving and flying,lack of content for civ side which led to unbelievable setting and the choice of a greek island as main setting for a war was weird at best.I do have some hopes for Tanoa though.

4.Arma 1,a step forward from OFP but nothing impressive.It was like a family car,does the job of getting you from A to B and that's it.

This might sound surprising but for me I've fonder memories of Arma: Armed Assault. Not so much the game itself but for the people I met playing it (Who I still play with 6+ years on) it started my interest in modding and was my first MP experience outside of Battlefield 2.

Same here actually. I got a lot more involved in modding in Arma 1 than I had been in OFP and I certainly played MP a heck of a lot more than I ever did in Arma 2/OA and later games. There were a lot of great people around in the community then.

Arma 3 is the one I get most enjoyment out of though. The game's constantly evolving, adding new features and refinements that I always wished I could achieve in addons we were making for previous games. And since modding is where I've found most satisfaction in owning these games, I get a lot of enjoyment out of just figuring out how to implement new stuff and make the most out of what Arma 3 offers in depth of customisation.

• Like 1

as we start adding quality, coherent, content to A3 I am slowly coming around to it as a playable game.

The greek and futuristic stuff was a massive turn-off for loads of die-hard ofp/a1/a2 guys

The unsung alpha (which im also working on) has convinced me recently that some of the new features in A3 are worth having - FFV, ducking and concealed firing stances in particular.  AI seem to flank and throw nades much better than before - this may be a result of Razorbacks 2 year effort to craft an island (Da Krong) that has realistic undulations and crevices, lots of cover, not just wide empty flat fields like that greek holiday gone wrong stuff.

So yeah, Unsung mod + Tanoa is gonna be my game to play for the next 3 years i reckon.  that's presuming we can get enough island makers involved!