tortuosit

[New] Dynamic Weather script and addon, V2: @tort_DynamicWeather2

Version 0.9.8.6

- Wind blows fog away:

- The stronger the wind, the more likely fog will decrease and also will decay (consistency to become more loose)

- Guaranteed behaviour if wind >20m/s

- As for MP I remind you of https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/182738-new-dynamic-weather-script-and-addon-v2-tort-dynamicweather2/?p=2976612

Question, what do you think:

a) Fog decrease, B) fog looser consistency, happening while raining? I added a small influence on B).

• Like 2

The fog losing its consistency while raining sounds great. Thanks for the update, been looking for something like this  :)

Currently you not really notice rain effect on fog. Will upload a version  this week where numbers are a bit more balanced.

Now we are in the "realistic behaviour" department, while the most of the script is about organized randomness.

It is nice to see the fog slowly decay and decrease on rain and/or wind and come back when rain/wind stopped.

• Like 1

0.9.8.6b

(changes from 0.9.8.6 and 0.9.8.6b)

- Wind blows fog away...

- The stronger the wind, the more likely fog will decrease and also will decay (consistency to become more loose)

- Same applies for rain

- As for MP I remind you of https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/182738-new-dynamic-weather-script-and-addon-v2-tort-dynamicweather2/?p=2976612

- 0.9.8.6b - Some tuning, less randomness, rain/wind affect fog decay more than before.

- Changing minimum/maximum rain via UI does not insta jump into the new range any more (only "set rain/fog/etc now" is allowed to insta change).

Version 0.9.8.7

- Changes to wind code, transitions are smoother now

- Wind module, balanced numbers

- Info screen not limited to map view any more

@Multiplayer guys.

The script regularly sends weather commands, for overcast and fog it can be slow paced because overcast is slow and fog transitions work nicely on the long run.

But wind array and setrain need finer grains for control reasons. So every ~5 seconds it executes: setwind array and setrain (in independent loops and not at the same time usually).

On client no problem, what do you think about MP and sending weather to clients that often via the network?

• Like 1

@Multiplayer guys.

The script regularly sends weather commands, for overcast and fog it can be slow paced because overcast is slow and fog transitions work nicely on the long run.

But wind array and setrain need finer grains for control reasons. So every ~5 seconds it executes: setwind array and setrain (in independent loops and not at the same time usually).

On client no problem, what do you think about MP and sending weather to clients that often via the network?

I don't think 5s data would cause any lag or something like that. Even moving markers on map have faster refresh rates? :) tell me if you want me to test something with my team on our dedicated.

• Like 1

The current weather script i use for MP use sends a sync request every 60 secs.  5s sounds pretty frequent.  Is it really that necessary?  Or can it be dragged out to 30 sec?

Of course i don't care much because i play a lot of dedicated server using ALIVE for my own purposes, so it would work for me either way  :)

If anything I would say let it be tweakable by the mission creator. 30 seconds of shift/desync between players doesn't sound too bad when it comes to weather.

OK, I will make the seconds between weather propagation configurable.

• Like 2

Hey Tort

I'm using your latest mod release V2. I used it in 1.54 and now trying it in 1.56. In either version it won't give me the option.

@tort_DynamicWeather2 is located in Arma 3 root folder. It shows the mod loaded when I look while in the main menu. When in game I press 0 then 8 "to bring up supports" it's not there.

@tort_DynamicWeather2_0.9.8.6.zip

CONTROL WHILE INGAME (MOD VERSION)
==================================
Press 0, then 8: from that menu, you may want to set weather as desired.

Any hints for me?

Thanks

Anyone got it working in MP?

/KC

KC, not supported yet.  Read a couple posts back as its still a WIP and nothing has been released yet for neither testing or use. 

I would be interested in testing if you need help  :)

Ahh my bad. Looks like i misunderstood  torts last post.

/KC

Hey Tort

I'm using your latest mod release V2. I used it in 1.54 and now trying it in 1.56. In either version it won't give me the option.

@tort_DynamicWeather2 is located in Arma 3 root folder. It shows the mod loaded when I look while in the main menu. When in game I press 0 then 8 "to bring up supports" it's not there.

@tort_DynamicWeather2_0.9.8.6.zip

CONTROL WHILE INGAME (MOD VERSION)

==================================

Press 0, then 8: from that menu, you may want to set weather as desired.

Any hints for me?

Thanks

Hey sorry, I was on holidays for 2 weeks.

In "[tort]\script\config\config.sqf" set

tort_mnu08 = true;

But be aware, I myself didn't use it for a long time (don't know if it still works) and want to remove it one day. Better you use the UI via the map menu.

• Like 1

I'm sorry guys, I cannot afford working on the mod recently.

I'll push a small update later on the day. EDIT: done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zysgc9q3wa7x0cl/%40tort_DynamicWeather2_0.9.8.8.7z?dl=1

The mods default behaviour: it usually applies island specific weather (with a default fallback when map is unknown).

--> [Change] This can be overridden now by a mission specific weather definition, by putting code into a units init line in the editor.

- Format is the same as in Arma 3\@tort_DynamicWeather2\script\config\islands.sqf - variables name are a bit different.

Example for putting code into a (player) units init line in the editor:

tort_init_overcast = [0.6 + random 0.2, 0.5, 1, 0, 1];
tort_init_fog = [0, 0, 0, 0, 0];
tort_init_wind = [random 3, random 360, 0, 4, 0, 359, 0, 0.2];
tort_init_rain = [0, 0, 0.5, -0.3, 0, 0.8];
  • Like 1

I started a new Pilgrimage Stratis with your latest download. Weather menu did not appear.

Exited and made this change"

In "[tort]\script\config\config.sqf" set

tort_mnu08 = true;

Resumed saved game and it's still does not appear.

Stupid me, the UI in map menu works. Dam, I keep forgetting about that!  Thanks Tort.

Such a change to UI (that you can do in config.sqf) would require a mission restart anyway...

Any compatibility issues in MP resolved in the latest version?