tortuosit

[New] Dynamic Weather script and addon, V2: @tort_DynamicWeather2

Any compatibility issues in MP resolved in the latest version?

This mod is one of the greatest absences in the MP arena.

So I really hope that synchronous weather can be added.

Many thanks for all your awesome work.

Weather may not get as much attention as new guns or pretty uniforms but, IMHO, its way more important to a tactical simulator, e.g. visibility affected by rain/fog/snow, listening ranges affected by rain, stamina affected by ambient temperatures, etc.

There's so much here that seems to have been missed by BI.

People love the attention they poured into details like tides, moon cycles and constellations, so why not this?

• Like 1

Any compatibility issues in MP resolved in the latest version?

No this is still SP. Icebreakr I know MP community needs this and tbh I was already expecting you to appear here :D ... I have many ideas, it's a bit of work, code needs some more change and it's too messy for my taste --- but I cannot afford working on mods and gaming, I am sorry, it is RL, and wife and kids etc. blahbla... Can only say I am well aware and if I do have some more time for the modding, MP is on top of my head. Least I can say my gaming radar is again very much pointed to ArmA, was absent from ArmA for a while as well, but my ArmA engines are almost back to full throttle.

/end tort_blah

• Like 2

I tried running this and found that CBA appears to break the addon. Running only this, and CBA it says that watcher.sqf is missing, and crashes the game when trying to enter a mission. Is this a known problem?

• Like 1

On 16.9.2017 at 11:58 AM, instagoat said:

I tried running this and found that CBA appears to break the addon. Running only this, and CBA it says that watcher.sqf is missing, and crashes the game when trying to enter a mission. Is this a known problem?

Sorry, I don't do much in ArmA currently and did not recognize your posting. Will check soon, an ArmA crashing mod should not be up here.

On 11-11-2017 at 6:15 AM, tortuosit said:

Sorry, I don't do much in ArmA currently and did not recognize your posting. Will check soon, an ArmA crashing mod should not be up here.

No problem.  As I read above it might be cba.  But even with no mods installed I don't have an option menu or weather machine in the map view...

On 7.4.2018 at 1:35 AM, fragmentpruts said:

No problem.  As I read above it might be cba.  But even with no mods installed I don't have an option menu or weather machine in the map view...

You need CBA_A3.

Quick test with latest version from the first posting here and the latest CBA, which I load from SIX: It works, you will see an entry "Dynamic Weather" in the map view.

This is the command line which I used for the test:

"C:\Disk\SSD1TB\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3_x64.exe"   -nosplash -enableHT "-mod=@CBA_A3;@tort_dynamicWeather2" -filePatching

Remark: Currently I'm not doing much ArmA and my interest @ weather addon is low. And RL is quite demanding. I know there could be done a lot for this mod, e.g. MP handling, or some Zeus integration... but after all if I play it is rather a short term affair, where weather forecast on the long run is rather not relevant, because gaming session is already finished before I recognize weather changes :)

On 9-4-2018 at 1:28 PM, tortuosit said:

You need CBA_A3.

Quick test with latest version from the first posting here and the latest CBA, which I load from SIX: It works, you will see an entry "Dynamic Weather" in the map view.

This is the command line which I used for the test:

"C:\Disk\SSD1TB\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 3\arma3_x64.exe"   -nosplash -enableHT "-mod=@CBA_A3;@tort_dynamicWeather2" -filePatching

Remark: Currently I'm not doing much ArmA and my interest @ weather addon is low. And RL is quite demanding. I know there could be done a lot for this mod, e.g. MP handling, or some Zeus integration... but after all if I play it is rather a short term affair, where weather forecast on the long run is rather not relevant, because gaming session is already finished before I recognize weather changes :)

Thanks for checking it out.  I still do have error messages but I'm shure it is mod related then.  I use cba_a3.     But it is not your concern.  When I play Arma it is Pilgrimage,  wich takes up to 6-7 hours so weather mod sounds great. 

On 9.4.2018 at 3:09 PM, Tankbuster said:

I'd love a script, non cba version.

I created pure script versions for overcast, rain, fog and wind the other day, because  I've focussed on being independent from mods. I love putting ready to use code templates into the eden editor (via "custom compositions") and start from there. No need for CBA. I simplified and unified the too complex code. Will upload later after work. My code can be even put into the debug screen window. The fog script is aware of MP. Simply it turns off ground fog, because it does not go well with players on different elevations.

Benefit from those scripts beside the obvious movement in weather are: The inbuilt engine side transitions do simply not work as expected, buggy... 120 setfog 0.5 does not do the transition in 120 seconds, but way faster. So the script does split things up and DIY. Also, the rain script can fully prevent rain, which can also not really be handled engine side.

• Thanks 1

Tort_DynamicWeather3.01 - Script version

• I decided to call this "Version 3", because it is a big code change. And stop confusions. Will maybe start a new thread at some point.
  • Guys, this is just numbers and says nothing :-)
  • Plan is, to include the same code into the Addon and maintain script and addon version, but this can not happen soon.
  • Script has no addon requirements
  • MP compatible? I have no idea. I can say ground fog is off in MP, which is necessary. It does setovercast/fog/rain/wind in small doses and quite often (<1minute)
  • tort_process_weather overall - and tort_process_overcast/tort_process_rain/tort_process_fog/tort_process_wind are special variables, in mission you can set them to true or false in order to stop+reset/restart the processing.

Howto:

1. In Eden place a game logic on your map: Right pane, Tab: Assets -> Systems (F5) -> Logic entities -> Object -> "Game logic" (or just search for "Game logic")
  2. Double click the just placed object and put my code into the init field.
  3. Done. Preview mission, save mission...
  4. In Eden, you can save the object for later use (Rightclick, "Save as custom composition").
  5. So later you can use 4 objects, one for rain, one for wind, one for overcast, one for fog. Whatever you want to control.
  •  You can also, for testing, paste the code into the debug window (press escape in mission).
  • Or use the mission files and freely copy/paste code, or use execvm, yadda yadda

ps, the lines like "waitUntil {!isnil "tort_rain_overcast_threshold"};" are obsolete, they exist because I define the global variables somewhere else.

Also, I just recognized names are not completely unified -> "Weighting" and "Tendency" is the same.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9v1kyjo9plktdon/%40tort_DynamicWeather3.01_script.zip?dl=0

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Appreciate your work my friend. Thanks.

Hold on. Rain is seriously flawed (too much rain, too less changes, no use of tendency) and also wind was flawed. I realized, did not really rework rain. Fixed all, but upload tomorrow.

Also, my previous posting is a dupe. Cannot delete text with my smartphone, because, long story short: the forum software is utter shite, especially if code is in postings. Cannot delete code boxes. Lacks a sourcecode view. It wastes time. Just make a mistake with multiple, nested spoiler/code tags: Impossible to fix, you have to start a posting from scratch. Utterestestest ultra shite forum software. And on smartphone, all this "hey, we use cookies! heyho, do you know tapatalk" is also a PITA. wtf. BIS and EU, stop destroying my internet! /rage

• Like 1

Tort_DynamicWeather3 - Script version - Version 3.02

- Important bug fixes

- Global variables tort_<module>_debug (e.g. tort_fog_debug) always have the complete current state of important parameters.

- Added sporadical gusts to the wind module (may happen on overcast > 0.5), since the engine side "setgusts" command is broken.

- i.e.: for 10 to 20 seconds, wind blows 15 to 30 m/s, direction may also change more drastical, then returns back to normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/68xys6j7htmbb1b/tort_DynamicWeather3_v3.02.zip?dl=0

• Like 2