Sign in to follow this  
owmyeye

omg NO DIFFERENCE using a GTX970 over a GTX760!!!!!!

I can't describe how very disappointed I am! I just pissed away AUD$543 on upgrading from a Gigabyte GTX760 to a Gigabyte GTX970, foolishly thinking I would gain at least some FPS gain in A3. But no, apparently that was too much to hope for, there is no difference in FPS what so ever!! NOT ONE FRAME!!

This is even more disappointing because A3 is the only system intensive game I play. It's the only reason why I forked out they money, which is ALOT of money in my books. I guess stupid me should have spent the same amount of money and got the best i7 available... but would that have made much difference either?

I just can't believe it's made no difference :(

My system:

i5 3.4ghz

8g RAM

was GTX760

now GTX970

It would have been better if you had an unlocked CPU, then overclock it. It also depends on what you're playing (SP/MP) and on what settings. On the bright side, you can go nuts with downsample. :p

Edited by calin_banc

Send it back, or increase you graphic settings.

Yes, this is a very well known fact that the performance is limited by the CPU in almost all systems.

But now you can set downsampling, AA and ambient occlusion higher. :)

I can't describe how very disappointed I am! I just pissed away AUD$543 on upgrading from a Gigabyte GTX760 to a Gigabyte GTX970, foolishly thinking I would gain at least some FPS gain in A3. But no, apparently that was too much to hope for, there is no difference in FPS what so ever!! NOT ONE FRAME!!

This is even more disappointing because A3 is the only system intensive game I play. It's the only reason why I forked out they money, which is ALOT of money in my books. I guess stupid me should have spent the same amount of money and got the best i7 available... but would that have made much difference either?

I just can't believe it's made no difference :(

My system:

i5 3.4ghz

8g RAM

was GTX760

now GTX970

Blame yourself and some guys that keep insisting to people to buy super cards for the game. If you read the forums many honest members tell not to spend money on new GPUs unless you have a really old card.

I think I will make a signature to remind people not to waste money on expensive cards. If you play other games though I see no problem with an upgrade.

I already had all the graphics settings cranked, but yeah I can downsample now and enable vsync...

I only ever play SP lately. I should have known a CPU was what I needed to help me make lots of AI commanders using the MCC mod. One reason why I chose a GPU instead though is I thought an i7 doesn't really get much faster than the 3.4ghz I'm already running. Only about .6ghz more? And more cores or something like that, but most programs out there don't really use those extra bits do they?

Just about anybody here could have and would have predicted as much.

Arma III can run on a 750ti, it's Processor intensive not GPU intensive. You could have got better frames by overclocking your CPU. You dropped a alot of money on one of the best GPU's on the market, which would be great, except the only games you play doesn't use that power. The good news out of this is that you can now probably set the sampling rate to something absurd since that card can run any resolution.

Hell you can run pretty much any game on the market for the next 2 years on high, that's something good right?

Just about anybody here could have and would have predicted as much.

I should have asked :(

But I'll ask this now (not that I'll spend money on anything for over 6 months now...): Would going from an i5 3.4ghz to the best i7 out there have made much difference? ('much' being over 15% I guess)

No, Arma III doesn't use the extra cores. What you'd want to do is get after market cooling and the most powerful unlocked i5 you can, and overclock. I'd only invest in an i7 if you plan to be playing new games on the same rig 2 years down the line.

Not a lot in the difference in the cards, the 970 will give better AA. Other than that it was a pointless upgrade really. :(

But I'll ask this now (not that I'll spend money on anything for over 6 months now...): Would going from an i5 3.4ghz to the best i7 out there have made much difference? ('much' being over 15% I guess)

Single-threaded performance is what you're after, suggest you look at this chart to get an idea of what stock CPU upgrades could yield (~+12% depending on your current i5 model); http://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

Or overclock your current CPU if it's a K model.

No, Arma III doesn't use the extra cores. What you'd want to do is get after market cooling and the most powerful unlocked i5 you can, and overclock. I'd only invest in an i7 if you plan to be playing new games on the same rig 2 years down the line.

cores? u mean threads as both i5 and i7 have the same amount of cores..arma can use up to 8 threads iirc so i7 is not a bad choice its also clocked higher than i5

Isn't the only meaningful differences between i5 and i7 the hyperthreading and price? And Arma 3 doesn't really care about the hyper-threading. So i5 then?

I misspoke, I'm hardly an expert on the topic, I kind of suck at the hardware end of things.

It's still more effective for Arma only purposes to OC an i5.

Actually, the bes investment, if You have not done so before, is into SSD - that makes game go nuts, loading times are super fast and helps even with in game performance because of memory cache :icon_twisted:

Perhaps put some money into a SSD, but no more. Wait for dx12 implementation and future optimizations if you don't have a motherboard capable of overclocking. Just jump to a different platform next year or so when Zen from AMD is due or whatever Intel will have by then.

LOl, feel ya. Went from 7970 to 680 to Titan down to 760 4gb, all the same. CPU dominant game is just that.

Actually the best investiment right now is get another game just to enjoy the power of your GpU ;)

Hello there

The moral of the story is always do research before you throw cash at an issue.

That said, you can rest easy for a while knowing that your card is decent and that it wont need upgrading for a year or two.

The Arma series has always been demanding of PC's, i tend to treat it as a sim in its spec requirements rather than a game.

CPU (at the moment) is key

Rgds

LoK

Actually the best investiment right now is get another game just to enjoy the power of your GpU
1+++ the rest is waste money & hadware effort for a bad optimized game
Actually, the bes investment, if You have not done so before, is into SSD
nice try but it doesn't eliminated the other many, many, many, many, many, many, many & many flaws xD