This seems like a very cool mod, at the moment my computer isn't really good enough to run arma 3(15 fps at 640x480) so i'm currently staying away from it and mods, but this is gonna be the first thing i play in august when i get a new desktop I'm excited to see any improvements that may come to it and be prepared for my feedback! :D

Hey guys,

My apologies for being inactive for a month or two. DSS development was halted a month ago, due to stumbling on a pressing issue that would require the engine to run on the new inventory menu, which is difficult unless the developers provide documentation. There was also a lot of debate (within steam) about other planned projects I have in queue, too (e.g. Star Trek, Alien, RSPack2, etc). My main priority now is to further develop the mods I have already released, before starting new projects that will rip my hair out. Also, during the months I have been sorting out time consuming music issues with 'PositionMusic' in order to use one of their tracks in a new trailer that is still to come. :P

Coming back to DSS. The mod is undergoing heavy development right now, which is kind of creating a completely new mod over the old one. However, since the new inventory menu cannot cooperate with the engine, it will be binded to the TAB key. In addition, the menu (or a.k.a. "Survival Companion") is looking badass in terms of FX, sound and style (plus easier to do tasks). That being said, photos and a changelog of what has been done so far will be revealed sometime next week or so.

Best Regards,

Rawner135

Just downloaded DSS. I've had my eye on this for a while, so after playing Ravage for a few weeks I decided to give this a go. I haven't played any missions and only messed about with the items in the editor. Loving the animations, an excellent touch alongside the crafting system which is quite intuitive. Looking forward to see what happens with the future of this mod.

With what's planned in the future, I can't wait to play it. Ravage scratches a Stalker-ish, Sci-fi itch whilst this looks to scratch a general "survival" itch, especially if temperature is added, so it's great to have variety especially for single-player. Can't wait to see the next update!

A couple of questions if it's okay to ask;

Is there going to be an ambient AI spawner for AI humans? Any chance of an ambient animal spawner as well? 

Also, I know the loot spawner isn't in yet, or not working I can't remember, but will it support A2/OA buildings as well as the vanilla A3 buildings?

Honestly wish I could help you and Haleks out somehow, but I know jack-diddly-squat about scripting or coding. That said, I'm willing to test out stuff in the mod, in editor or the mission if you want anything looked at. Finding bugs or things like that, anything easy for a coding and scripting luddite like me.

Glad you enjoy Ravage and DSS! :)

Regarding AI and Animal spawners. This will indefinitely be developed for the next patch, since the mod's setting is

when the island of Altis is in chaos after the Earthquake machine and CSAT occupation

(Campaign Spoiler). In addition, NPCs roaming Altis will decide whether to team up with you or engage you.

The loot spawner is to be designed as a universal module, since Tanoa and its new buildings are arriving pretty soon. Hopefully when it is fully developed, you should be able to customize how much to spawn, types of areas to spawn, types of stuff to be spawned, etc.

Also, development is underway to manage and balance PVP in DSS, so that killing or befriending a player will have rewards or punishments. Will have more info on that soon in the coming week, too. ;)

I think that is the "golden egg" of all questions at present whether it be, DayZ SA, H1Z1, DSS, Breaking Point, and even stretching out into titles like GTA Online.  In the post C.O.D. gaming paradigm where gamers' natural reflex to seeing anything move, is to shoot every bullet they have at it and chase it until it's killed; Developers are now desperately trying to re-program the mind of the combat gamer into using new tools and technologies that allow players to communicate with other played characters in open world virtual space so that the experience may become more realistic and involved and also to encourage unique player - player interactions that in the past have not been possible.  I believe that the "class system" is a good starting point that was able to at least vaguely segregate players into large factions of different extreme motivations that would hopefully push like-minded players together.

I have been proposing going a little deeper. Giving the individual [player represented] character it's own value of life. Almost a hybrid skill/class tree system.  **for example: Two players that run together often and prefer to survive in the post civilised world as KOS bandits/murder'ers,,, observe a single civilian with a rifle slung over his shoulder strolling through the area they are preying on**<pause>,,,we all know what happens here, the lone wanderer is shot and killed and the gear he has is far inferior to the raiding pair of bandits,, Right??!!  The lone wanderer is left in a 'WTF' moment [if he doesnt just rage-quit] & the bandit brothers have no sense of achievement nor has ANYTHING actually been achieved except the same C.O.D. KOS gaming that you can find anywhere and so much developer work and game features are completely wasted. Now let's think about throwing out the elementary good/bad guy faction system, and replace that with skill sets. One main skill that has two smaller attributing skills that compliment that main skill <unpause>   **One of the bandit brothers has sustained an injury that is inhibiting him from aiming steadily, climbing hills, and holding any long guns. One bandit is a skilled mechanic that can maintain and repair anything with a combustion engine, the other is a skilled carpenter that can make boards from logs and build structures. Can the bandit brothers now shoot this man without any player interaction and risk the chance that he has medical training and was a surgeon or medical doctor????**    Now,,, you can replace the specifics of that scenario with whichever details you prefer to envision but if we substitute the factions system for a skill system I think everyone can see the new interactions and type of group forming that we would see in the real world, Not everyone can do everything, not everyone knows everything.  

Survivalists and Ranwer alike,,, tell me what you think about this and if you think DSS could be the perfect catalyst to introduce this type of player system.

I think that is the "golden egg" of all questions at present whether it be, DayZ SA, H1Z1, DSS, Breaking Point, and even stretching out into titles like GTA Online.  In the post C.O.D. gaming paradigm where gamers' natural reflex to seeing anything move, is to shoot every bullet they have at it and chase it until it's killed; Developers are now desperately trying to re-program the mind of the combat gamer into using new tools and technologies that allow players to communicate with other played characters in open world virtual space so that the experience may become more realistic and involved and also to encourage unique player - player interactions that in the past have not been possible.  I believe that the "class system" is a good starting point that was able to at least vaguely segregate players into large factions of different extreme motivations that would hopefully push like-minded players together.

I have been proposing going a little deeper. Giving the individual [player represented] character it's own value of life. Almost a hybrid skill/class tree system.  **for example: Two players that run together often and prefer to survive in the post civilised world as KOS bandits/murder'ers,,, observe a single civilian with a rifle slung over his shoulder strolling through the area they are preying on**<pause>,,,we all know what happens here, the lone wanderer is shot and killed and the gear he has is far inferior to the raiding pair of bandits,, Right??!!  The lone wanderer is left in a 'WTF' moment [if he doesnt just rage-quit] & the bandit brothers have no sense of achievement nor has ANYTHING actually been achieved except the same C.O.D. KOS gaming that you can find anywhere and so much developer work and game features are completely wasted. Now let's think about throwing out the elementary good/bad guy faction system, and replace that with skill sets. One main skill that has two smaller attributing skills that compliment that main skill <unpause>   **One of the bandit brothers has sustained an injury that is inhibiting him from aiming steadily, climbing hills, and holding any long guns. One bandit is a skilled mechanic that can maintain and repair anything with a combustion engine, the other is a skilled carpenter that can make boards from logs and build structures. Can the bandit brothers now shoot this man without any player interaction and risk the chance that he has medical training and was a surgeon or medical doctor????**    Now,,, you can replace the specifics of that scenario with whichever details you prefer to envision but if we substitute the factions system for a skill system I think everyone can see the new interactions and type of group forming that we would see in the real world, Not everyone can do everything, not everyone knows everything.  

Survivalists and Ranwer alike,,, tell me what you think about this and if you think DSS could be the perfect catalyst to introduce this type of player system.

I like the idea. :)

Currently the system is still being planned, but is something that I managed to come up with:

- Hidden currency, known as "Humanity Points" (HP).

- 100HP spawn start.

- Shops (containing guns, clothing, etc) spawn on Altis, and can only be accessed with enough/positive HP.

- If you are fired upon, the attacker gets deducted -1HP.

- If you kill someone that has negative points, you gain HP. (and vice versa)

- Feeding a handcuffed player gains you 3HP.

- Accepting someone to join you as a group will gain you 5HP.

- Killing a team member deducts 10HP or more.

Also, here is a teaser screenshot at one of the missions being developed for DSS (Warning: For those of you who haven't played the last Official campaign mission..DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER):

A5CD0B75EB8B2C52645AE8477BF2EDBC0989D2F4

It is somewhat a short mission, for now. But it does, however, include voice acting of Kerry, Miller and a few other guys. (voices were remixed with Audacity to create new sentences :lol: ). More photos (depending upon completion) will arrive during the week.

• Like 2

Hey Ranwer.. Dont know if you remember me or not. But justing dropping by to say hi and also happy to see DSS still getting the much deserved attention :)