UPDATE:

Added: Engine - Melee functionality

Added: Function - Chop trees

Added: Weapon - MR41 (Only model, will try and get textures implemented soon)

Added: Music - Ambient tracks (just more from the site I linked  :D )

@Crafted weapons

Probably one of the most exciting things to work on for DSS...Crafting weapons! Much like in Rust, you will need to gather supplies to craft your own weapons. (e.g. Wood, scrap metal, string, etc.)

The first two weapons being craft-able are:

- Axe (Basically a stick with a strapped-on rock)

- Crossbow

Side notes:

- Due to DSS is on a tight schedule for an Early Access Alpha release, the new night zed model won't be implemented until BETA. However, this doesn't stop the WIP custom animations being developed for the human model. In addition, an overhaul of replacement textures will be made to give it a more "dark" approach.

The amount of work made for the mod prior to release, is about 86% complete. Here is what needs to be completed:

Add: Animation - Night Zed (Walk, Run and Attack)

Add: Animation - Crossbow Reload

Add: Quests - Underway

Add: Weapon - Crossbow [CRAFTED] - Underway

Add: Weapon - Axe [CRAFTED] - In queue

Add: Texture - Water source building (Will be spawned on Altis as well  ;) )

Add: Texture - MR41

Fix: Function - Chop trees - Underway

Fix: Function - TCS - In queue (aka "Tent and Campfire Script")

Fix: Item - Meat - In queue (If anyone knows how to setup a magazine model in O2, let me know!)

Fix: Zombies - Pathfinding - In queue (Replacing old distance detection with custom "canSee" function)

Tweak: Zombies - Texture - In queue

Tweak: TUT - Sample mission - In queue (Needs update on how to add your own items)

Tweak: UI - Positioning - Underway (too spread apart, needs to be together on one side)

Tweak: Dialog - Cooking - In queue

Also, once the mod has been released, Development will be made to introduce sleeping while on it's way to BETA. It will be available in the Action menu, but depending on where you sleep makes the difference with damage  :lol: ...

SLEEPING ON GROUND: "Ughhhh, WTF...where am I? Why do I have a sore head?..  -_-"

SLEEPING IN TENT: "Ahhhhh, That was some good sleep. I wonder what they have in the nearest town. ^_^ "

Hi Ranwer.....holy shit dude....you are one busy boy....your last update sounds like your pretty close to something playable soon :D

Your flying man!.....DSS is soaring......ride the wave......Best of luck for that remaining 14%  :)

UPDATE:

Added: Item - Car Battery

Added: Item - Tyre

Added: Function - Repair Wheel and Engine (explained below)\

Added: Item - Tactical Bacon

Added: Animation - Night Zed (Run animation)
Added: Weapon - Crossbow [CRAFTED]
Added: Texture - MR41
Added: Sounds (Updated for all existing stuff in DSS)
Fixed: Function - Chop trees
Fixed: Function - TCS (aka "Tent and Campfire Script")
Tweaked: TUT - Sample mission
Tweaked: UI - Positioning
Overhauled: Animation - Inspect weapon (BVH rig now makes it more realistic, similar to M4 inspect like CSGO)

Whats left:

Add: Animation - Night Zed (Walk and Attack)
Add: Animation - Crossbow Reload
Add: Quests
Add: Weapon - Axe [CRAFTED]
Add: Texture - MR41
Fix: Function - Chop trees (test with trigger and setDamage)
Fix: Item - Meat
Fix: Zombies - Pathfinding (Replacing old distance detection with custom "canSee" function)
Fix: Zombie - Prone bug
Fix: Items - Textures (they won't load...)
Tweak: Zombies - Texture

@Repair Wheel and Engine

- This is one of the first functions to be ever put in ArmA 3...Repairing Tyre's and engines. If the player has a car battery or tyre, he will have the ability to repair the vehicle depending which item you have. (If you have a tyre, it will repair a wheel. If you have an engine, it will repair the engine)

Some photos of the new crossbow: ;)  (Please note that it may look a bit...well...crappy...but its a prototype for getting in game and will be overhauled with new textures and animations :P )

7808323847744789534B8489D13AB4A7C47CCB9E

0D76F419366E96B7BC1F0E0F87AF49448E3D8B34

@Ranwer. This is looking really good. One question. Will you be able to use your eating and drinking features alone as part of a regular military style mission, without zombies?

@Ranwer. This is looking really good. One question. Will you be able to use your eating and drinking features alone as part of a regular military style mission, without zombies?

Absolutely,

Modules are separated in the following:

- Init (Contains mainframe such as interacting with food and drinks, including crafting)

- Humanity (Shows UI and initiates survival init)

- Loot Spawn (Spawns loot around map)

- Zombie Spawn (Spawns zombies around map)

- Ambient Music (Plays random suspense tracks, like DayZ Mod)

- Random Weather (Initiates random weather, by Meatball)

UPDATE:

NEW VIDEO!

• Like 2

@Ranwer. Those animations are looking good. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of this mod. Keep up the good work.

Absolutely,

Modules are separated in the following:

- Init (Contains mainframe such as interacting with food and drinks, including crafting)

- Humanity (Shows UI and initiates survival init)

- Loot Spawn (Spawns loot around map)

- Zombie Spawn (Spawns zombies around map)

- Ambient Music (Plays random suspense tracks, like DayZ Mod)

- Random Weather (Initiates random weather, by Meatball)

Very promising.

And I believe, having the player spawn with civilian uniforms initially will suit the survival theme further and he/she may acquire military kit during the game. Seeing a loner wandering in ultra modern defence kit since the start, wouldnt suit the theme imho :D

• Like 2

And I believe, having the player spawn with civilian uniforms initially will suit the survival theme further and he/she may acquire military kit during the game. Seeing a loner wandering in ultra modern defence kit since the start, wouldnt suit the theme imho :D

Recently made a neat little function that does that.  ;)  (Randomizes and only equips player with civ clothing)

Also, regarding loot spawn. Here is the following categories on the type of loot you'll find:

Legend:

Common - Can be found easily, but may depend what is spawned

Rare - Can be extremely hard to find

Hard - Between Common and Rare, this is based on average

- Civilian:

Rare: Melee weapons

Rare: Weaponry

Rare: Ammo

Hard: Medical

Common: Food, Drinks.

- Industrial

Common: Melee weapons

Common: Tools

Rare: Weaponry

Hard: Food, Drinks

- Military

Common: Weaponry

Hard: Melee weapons

Hard: Food, Drinks

• Like 3

UPDATE:

Added: Town - Factory (found at salt lake)
Added: Site - OPFOR base (near main airport)
Added: Site - Medical camp (near NW airport)

Fixed: Function - Chop trees
Fixed: Zombies - Pathfinding (they now don't rely on distance. Stealth is now a factor...even CQC)
Fixed: Zombie - Prone bug

Tweaked: Dialog - Action Menu (In WIP to look more like the gear menu, more below)

Tweaked: Dialog - Craft Menu

Underway:

Add: Animation - Take quest item
Add: Function - Melee Zombies (Stealth-style)
Add: Quests
Tweak: Towns
Tweak: Zombie textures

@Recruitment

- Hey guys, there has been a few that have requested to help with DSS and have been accepted. Here is the list so far:

- Ranwer135
- xBowBii

- Evil Organ

If you would like to help out with DSS, give me a PM and I'll let you know if there's anything that can be done. (You may also suggest ideas as well) ;)

@Improvements on the Dialog Action Menu

- Some improvements have been made for the action menu, as it is steering to an Inventory look. On the top-far left of the dialog (Below) will be a projection of your character or at least a photo to resemble the inventory. (If projection is possible like DayZ SA, turning the character maybe possible)

The Bottom-left of the dialog will have a picture of the item and some basic info. Including a small picture attached to the listbox item. However, this will increase more learning upon the Sample mission. 

vpvkzr.jpg

• Like 2

@Ranwer135

Just some little questions :)

- Will the loot work on all maps? (All maps that have lootPositions I guess?)

- Do you have an idea on when the mod will be availible?

- Will you put the source on Github so the development "team" will be able to review code an implement new features?

For character projecting (for the Survival menu) what could be very nice is making another unit (non playable) using the exact same stuff as the player itself, and using PIP display it in the menu? (I can't express my idea correctly, I'll try to write it using steps: make non-playable unit using same stuff as player in the middle of nowhere, hide object from all players (including the player itself) but not from the "camera" facing it, so that you can display the camera's view as PIP in the inventory of the player and he can see himself (even if its not 100% him, because it's another unit)..) I'll try to explain it better a little bit later. :P

PS: Could you check your inbox please? I've sent you a PM ;)

@Ranwer135

Just some little questions :)

- Will the loot work on all maps? (All maps that have lootPositions I guess?)

- Do you have an idea on when the mod will be availible?

- Will you put the source on Github so the development "team" will be able to review code an implement new features?

For character projecting (for the Survival menu) what could be very nice is making another unit (non playable) using the exact same stuff as the player itself, and using PIP display it in the menu? (I can't express my idea correctly, I'll try to write it using steps: make non-playable unit using same stuff as player in the middle of nowhere, hide object from all players (including the player itself) but not from the "camera" facing it, so that you can display the camera's view as PIP in the inventory of the player and he can see himself (even if its not 100% him, because it's another unit)..) I'll try to explain it better a little bit later. :P

PS: Could you check your inbox please? I've sent you a PM ;)

G'day, (well, G'night cause it's night time :p )

Loot spawn only works for Altis and Stratis at the moment. However, the loot spawn and many other features will be immediately updated as soon as Tanoa releases! (I have seen many of the pictures, and this mod would highly suit the terrain based upon survival)

I am not quite sure what the approximate date will be in terms of release, but most likely between the end of this month to September.

I don't seem to be familiar with Github, but I guess I have been sleeping in the forums' caves for a while. :p

Sometime, I'll try and get the mod up for reviewing, but the release feels pretty close right now.

Back to the PIP you mentioned, I know what you mean. :D

I recently found that 3D objects CAN be implemented into a dialog, so no doubt that I might come up with something. (Even though Dean Hall's inventory PIP is based of VBS2)

Finally before I hit the sack or do some night work, the overall percentage of DSS' completion is about 90%.

• Like 1

G'day, (well, G'night cause it's night time :P )

Loot spawn only works for Altis and Stratis at the moment. However, the loot spawn and many other features will be immediately updated as soon as Tanoa releases! (I have seen many of the pictures, and this mod would highly suit the terrain based upon survival)

I am not quite sure what the approximate date will be in terms of release, but most likely between the end of this month to September.

I don't seem to be familiar with Github, but I guess I have been sleeping in the forums' caves for a while. :P

Sometime, I'll try and get the mod up for reviewing, but the release feels pretty close right now.

Back to the PIP you mentioned, I know what you mean. :D

I recently found that 3D objects CAN be implemented into a dialog, so no doubt that I might come up with something. (Even though Dean Hall's inventory PIP is based of VBS2)

Finally before I hit the sack or do some night work, the overall percentage of DSS' completion is about 90%.

This looks great!

I am not very familiar with Github either, I just know it's very-well done for development (using "issues" people can point out in the code, "pushes" where you can publish new versions, ...). You might want to give it a little look, maybe you'll find it perfect, who knows? ;)

Have you yet found out how to save vehicles and players' stats across "restarts" for multiplayer?

I guess the campaign saves automatically when the player exits? (I've never looked at how campaign works :s)

For the PIP-thing, awesome. If you need any help at all, you know who to call ;)

I'll send you some more ideas using the personal messenger. :)

This looks great!

I am not very familiar with Github either, I just know it's very-well done for development (using "issues" people can point out in the code, "pushes" where you can publish new versions, ...). You might want to give it a little look, maybe you'll find it perfect, who knows? ;)

Have you yet found out how to save vehicles and players' stats across "restarts" for multiplayer?

I guess the campaign saves automatically when the player exits? (I've never looked at how campaign works :s)

For the PIP-thing, awesome. If you need any help at all, you know who to call ;)

I'll send you some more ideas using the personal messenger. :)

With regards to MP stats, I managed to set up the iniDB with a few scripts initiated in the mission. It should work as iniDB is intended for such purpose. :P

I'll take a look at the save function BI has made for their campaign. But rest assured that the campaign will give you a chance to go in "free roam" in some situations (e.g. at survival camp) and possibly find more clues or items on your way.

I had a bit of a think over towards the PIP function and managed to come up with a solution:

- Since 3D dialogs are possible in the game. All I need to do is retrieve the uniform, vest and headgear of the unit and it will already display on the dialog. If successful, a slider bar will be made to rotate the "character" with the command ctrlSetModelDirAndUp.

A test dialog has already been made and under fixing. (It doesn't seem to like code in the model except the path. However, onLoad works but crashes and cannot be interacted that much)

I gotta get some shuteye now, but I have PMed the team of the sample code if they would like to have a fiddle with it.  ;)

UPDATE:

Added: Engine - Inventory player view (Like DayZ SA, see more below)

Added: Spawn - Vehicles spawn with no wheels

Fixed: Function - Spawn Loot (Compatible in MP and SP. It spawns loot in any building, even editor placed ones!)

Fixed: Sound - Ambient (Some bug not letting you to hear ambient sound)

Tweaked: Towns - Custom Towns and FOBs

@Inventory Player View

- Here it is folks...the very first to be introduced into ArmA 3!!! The inventory player view, commonly seen in DayZ SA. What it does, is that it will check what basic gear you have (e.g. Uniform, vest, headgear and backpack) then it will project it into the picture box using class Objects.  ;)

What I had to do was make a temporary proxy (invisible object) as the default model path, then use ctrlSetModel to set the type of thing you want. (Tested, seems to not crash now)

Don't believe me? Here is a photo below untouched and uploaded straight from steam:  :P

DE5E49E805620471FF85CB089CCD6A720194FCAC

There are only 3 problems that occur at the moment:

- The Independent AAF uniform will look like its in front of the whole body, but this can be easily fixed.

- Uniform happens to be drag-able thanks to enable = 0 not functioning properly.  <_<

- Very small issue, Character is forced as a T-Pose and cannot be interacted with animations. I dunno why, just one of those things.  ^_^

The next step is to add a slider bar to allow rotation. If this is too much for the system to handle, then a non-rotating character will do for the mean time.

• Like 2

Congratulations for the player inventory menu....fantastic work :)....fully deserving of Amber Fluid!

UPDATE:

After spending days and nights tweaking and repositioning the 3D models with the slider bar, rotation is now possible.  ;) 

The only current limitation for now is not being able to see the whole back of the character. This will change in due course after release.

Here is the latest photo of the character on an angle:

332b41g.jpg

Known bugs:

- Animation T-Pose. (Confirmed by KK that dialog objects cannot be animated. But it still looks good anyway)

- Clothing bug with Independent uniform. (Simple fix, nothing to worry about)

It is still under tweaking, but only for a smooth rotating look. More improvements will be done on other parts of the dialog while tweaking the engine. Meanwhile, here is what's left for DSS:

- Quests (Last thing to do before releasing)
- Item bug (Shows invisible in-game. This will be looked at as main priority after finishing 3D dialog view)
- Moving structures/building bases
- Main Menu mission look (Appears if your at the main menu with Altis pre-loaded)

• Like 4

UPDATE:

Overhauling the final look of the "Survival Menu" is done. All that's left in the dialog is adding the backpack model to the character and overhauling the "Craft Menu".  ;)  (This is only for the dialog. In overall, there's only about 5 things left to do.)

New features overall include:

- Displays item picture and description.

- 3D View of character with Slider Bar for rotation. (Not Spawned on map and hidden, but projected onto the screen)

- Code runs 1.3x faster.

- New look on whole layout.

Known issues:

- Same as above.

Preview:

2cyl9vo.jpg

Rotating the character at this time is a bit jerky, but can be tweaked in terms of positioning.

A question was asked by Evil Organ:

Will there by some sort of view for the weapons? Like having it in a separate window or part of the character?

In terms of Weapon or Item views, this feature will be implemented after the first release or till BETA. I have recently found that dragging one part of the screen to rotate a class Objects is not possible unless VBS2 shares more of it's commands. But for now, Slider Bars will act as rotation for the objects. (There is two differences between 3D Objects and class Objects. 3D Objects are the ones placed in the map, whereas class Objects are used to display 3D Objects but on the screen. This makes it more difficult as the Devs haven't paid much attention to the class Objects mechanics  <_< )

• Like 1

UPDATE:

Announcement has been made Here for full details on Features and Improvements, etc.

Craft Menu is underway for overhauling, as well as the Magazine issue. In addition, the magazine issue has been resolved and will immediately undergo checks before adding/creating the new items such as meat, materials or custom cans of Beans with different varieties.  ;) (There was some sort of mapping issue in O2 which didn't cause any errors, but in any case I will look into it)

Also, thanks to all of the experience I have learnt in regards to the area of Visual Basic/Studio. A webpage might be possibly built with forums, chats, etc. This will come later after DSS releases. (Who knows, the new bulletin board like in the forums here might be implemented in it as well)

UPDATE:

Announcement has been made Here for full details on Features and Improvements, etc.

Craft Menu is underway for overhauling, as well as the Magazine issue. In addition, the magazine issue has been resolved and will immediately undergo checks before adding/creating the new items such as meat, materials or custom cans of Beans with different varieties.  ;) (There was some sort of mapping issue in O2 which didn't cause any errors, but in any case I will look into it)

Also, thanks to all of the experience I have learnt in regards to the area of Visual Basic/Studio. A webpage might be possibly built with forums, chats, etc. This will come later after DSS releases. (Who knows, the new bulletin board like in the forums here might be implemented in it as well)

Awesome news!

UPDATE:

Added: Function - Gut Animal (Explained below)

Added: Function - Cooking (Explained Below)

Added: Item - Meat (Raw)
Added: Item - Meat (Cooked)

Added: Item - Can of Frank Beans

Added: Item - Can of Soup

Added: Item - Can of Creationz

Added: Item - Can of Tactical Bacon (Again, from the structures_f.pbo)

Added: SFX - Cook meat

Added: Structure - Fireplace (Original Arma 3 fireplace, but allows you to place meat in it)

Fixed: Function - Loot Spawner (Ridiculous amount of loot was spawning, had to decrease randomization of 5)

Tweaked: Function - Loot Spawner (Updated and added more stuff to spawn. Also added a couple of Arma weapons)

Tweaked: Item - Can of Baked Beans (Arma model replaced with custom model)

Steam Announcement Version Here

SIDE NOTES:

@Gut Animal/Cooking Function

- This took one hell of a long time to make, due to some limitations of script commands but it was worth it. The "Gut Animal" function will detect and add an action if you are staring at a dead animal, allowing you to gut it with your hatchet (Unfortunately, ambient rabbits cannot be gutted as they are not defined as an actual object, but an agent). After gutting it, 1-2 pieces of raw meat will be lying on the carcass but cannot be eaten...yet. You will then be required to craft and build a fireplace, so you will be able to cook it using the "Cooking" function. Place your meat into the fireplace, then in the cooking menu, select your meat you want to cook and press "COOK". it takes about 14 seconds to cook one piece of meat, so enjoy the real experience of outdoor camping in DSS!  ;)

With regards to exploits and bugs, this was the main reason it took so long to make. The player is allowed to take their meat out whenever they like, but will log a ".rpt" file (found in the normal area of ".rpt" files for Arma 3) in case the host would like to investigate on something, example:

"DSS  Exploit: Player 'Rawner135' trying to duplicate meat"

"DSS  Exploit: Refused Player 'Rawner135' from duplicating meat"

"DSS  Check: No other exploits detected"

During the log, it will prevent the player from duplicating the meat that is cooking in the fireplace. (Checks if there is anymore meat found in the fireplace. If not, it will finish up the cooking process immediately)

@Solved: Model issues

- It has finally been solved now, the model issue. What went wrong was that I did not unwrap the model correctly to apply textures on all sides of the model. Now DSS can continue its addition of more "custom" items.  ;)

@3D Player Gear View

- With regards to the functionality of it, I am not quite sure if it could work on different types of monitor screens. When I made the function, it was on a laptop. But as soon as I placed it onto the desktop computer (bigger screen), the model looked weird. I am not sure how to deal with this problem, since the type of resolution affects the scale (or position) of the model. The other main concern is the 3D View taking up the resource load for the "Action Menu", it causes the menu to load twice than what it was before. But again I am not sure about the functionality, what do you guys think? Some suggestions or alternatives listed below:

- 3D Player Gear View could stay but is known to be buggy.

- 3D Player Gear View could be camera view of player itself?

- 3D Player Gear View could stay but rotation would be removed. (Probably buttons like: Top, Side, Front)

- 3D Player Gear View could be just a picture of a survivor in the background, like in the ArmA 2 inventory.

Your thoughts guys, the mod seems to be done, but this is the only thing that has got me concerned about.

AUTHORS NOTES:

@Progress of DSS

- I have done an overall check of the integrity and coding of DSS...its all done. All the Functions, the Dialogs, the Actions, the Animations and the rest of the stuff for the project DSS, is complete. However, things still need to be fixed up with the "Craft Menu", the TUT file (Just needs updating), and the mission file. In overall percentage of completion:

DSS: The Mod - Project Folder  ==  98%

DSS: The Mod - Mission Folder  ==  76%

• Like 2

I nearly spat out my coffee when i read this..."The player is allowed to take their meat out whenever they like, but will log a ".rpt" file".......queue fits and giggles.... :D

With regards the PGV, It's clear this has been a massive undertaking to implement for DSS, with all the work you've put into it so far i would hate to see it go completely, so maybe for release, just a simple 2d picture of your current character, then once DSS is out, you could go back and look at 3d functionality without the added constraints of release in the way......Anyways, best SITREP so far, can't wait to get my meat out. :D

I nearly spat out my coffee when i read this..."The player is allowed to take their meat out whenever they like, but will log a ".rpt" file".......queue fits and giggles.... :D

With regards the PGV, It's clear this has been a massive undertaking to implement for DSS, with all the work you've put into it so far i would hate to see it go completely, so maybe for release, just a simple 2d picture of your current character, then once DSS is out, you could go back and look at 3d functionality without the added constraints of release in the way......Anyways, best SITREP so far, can't wait to get my meat out. :D

Haha, yeah sorry if I haven't explained properly.  :lol: (Silly me...  ^_^ )

What I meant was is that during the cooking process, here is how it works:

1. Player puts 2 pieces of Raw Meat into the fireplace.

2. He begins the cooking process by clicking COOK found within the Cook Menu. (You can access it by clicking on the fireplace's action)

3. Once your first raw meat is cooked, you can then take it out and eat it while it is still cooking.

4. Wait until your second piece is cooked...Happy Days.

How you can log yourself in the ".rpt": (I dunno why, but sometimes you just get those ideas off exploits from DayZ SA  B) )

1. Player puts 2 pieces of Raw Meat into the fireplace.

2. He begins the cooking process by clicking COOK found within the Cook Menu. (You can access it by clicking on the fireplace's action)

3. While its cooking, you take a piece of raw meat out for somewhat reason. (E.g. You get raided by some bandits, I dunno...  :ph34r: )

4. The code will check if there is still raw meat in the fireplace. If not, it will log some text as my previous post. (It will stop the cooking process as well, leaving what is cooked and what is not)

Reason being when I first made the function, was when the code would suck up and make up for the missing Raw Meat the player would take away, during the cooking process. (e.g. you take 3 raw meat from the fireplace...the fireplace would add an extra 3 pieces of cooked meat)

I only added the diag command just for precautions if it does happen, that's all.  ;)

With regards to the PVG system, I don't mind having that as a 2D view for the mean time. I'll just have to look up solutions about this resolution bug.

• Like 1

@3D Player Gear View

- With regards to the functionality of it, I am not quite sure if it could work on different types of monitor screens. When I made the function, it was on a laptop. But as soon as I placed it onto the desktop computer (bigger screen), the model looked weird. I am not sure how to deal with this problem, since the type of resolution affects the scale (or position) of the model. The other main concern is the 3D View taking up the resource load for the "Action Menu", it causes the menu to load twice than what it was before. But again I am not sure about the functionality, what do you guys think? Some suggestions or alternatives listed below:

- 3D Player Gear View could be camera view of player itself?

Something along the lines of the virtual arsenal function would certainly be bad-ass. ^^