Sign in to follow this  
Rob

DO U THINK WE SHOULD MAKE A MANUAL FOR AL THE UNEXPERIENCED?

I really think that we should all get together and create a manual for the site so that we can all share each others information....

this will deffinately help the newbies and some of us that aren't that aware of the games full potential. im looking into contating the designers to see if its a good idea.

if u wanna help then great. post ur ideas here, (and try to keep the thread at the top)

make it explain all the basics, then list all the init codes bis released but with a explanation of how to use each one and what they do

Good idea, i think a introduction to scripting in verry simple terms would go down well.

RED

i think the more people we get involved the better cuz then we will have a wider range of intelligence.

we should put it into PDF.

so, so far we got simple scirpting and init fields. how about simple trigger usage.

f**k yeah Rob. That would be great.

This game is the first one that I've ever tried this sorta stuff in. I'm learnin programming and kinda understand it all, but a really good manual/reference guide would be very advantageous.

I got one that's not too bad for init and triggers and stuff, the "Open source mission editor guide". It has a description for everything that it mentions. Just doesn't quite seem to mention everything, and I don't think it goes into scripting.

thats wot im hopeing to create cuz nearly all the manuals i have downloaded have just shown points of wot they are and never really explained it. so i wanna try and explain everything is easy as pos so 5yr olds understand.

well to get us started u think we should start posting our knowledge or send it to me so that i can process it.

RED could we do it on ur forum as it would be so much easier? and we wont get lost.

well to get us started u think we should start posting our knowledge or send it to me so that i can process it.

RED could we do it on ur forum as it would be so much easier? and we wont get lost.

i know i didn't wait for u to reply RED but im sure u dont mind. ALL IN FAVOR OF HELPING ENTER HERE

So far i have enterd quite a bit on the init fields but still need ur knowledge on the subjects.

That sounds like a good idea. Once you get it written you might think about submitting it to the OFP Editing Center. They have a big section for tutorials, and would probably welcome your addition...

http://www.ofpeditingcenter.com

Real good idea Rob. Biut there can be an infiite # of scripts...

I think it is a real great idea ! Especially a bare basics manual seems to lacking. A nice schematics view of what commands/variables get parsed where would be nice as well.

I have been thinking about some Editing FAQ, but alas, I do not have any time to make it...but for starters I did post a few init fields for groups at RED's OFP board

Nice idea people...

yes but answer me this, is there one manual out there that really explains everything in grave detail?, NO. so thats wot im hoping to achieve by doin this. i haven't seen one manual that has given some really good, simple, easy to understand examples. so i thought i could also make mini maps for most of the commands to show the viewers wot that certain command line does. this would go down great with newbies and i have been wanting to do this for some time now but just neva got round to doin it.

i hope u lot help out, this may go down in history. lol. everyone that helps out will have their nam commended in the final version.

MP i didn't say that we had to add loads of scripts because i know there are infinate numbers of them, i just wanted to add some simple scripts so that the newbies and the people that aren't that experienced in making scripts (such as me, COUGH, COUGH) can get a feel of wot different synta and commands do. and because i know ur a great one when it comes to scripts would u like to put some simple ones together with little missions so that we can add it to the manual.

The manual will have 3 sections, init fields, trig and scripts. Each with its own understanding of the sub.

notes are going down now but i have only recieved one reply from bloodmixer i think, SO IF U THINK U HAVE WOT IT TAKES TO KNOW IT ALL PLZ PASS ON UR knowledge HERE

(Edited by Rob at 6:11 pm on Dec. 20, 2001)

The Open Source document is good. But actually it would be a good idea to have an editing manual.

keep sending in ur ideas over at RED's Forum.

all scripting and trigger knowledge needed plz post there!!!

Yeah sure you can use my forum, sorry i would of replied sooner but i have been having computer probs.

I am going to get some grub, then i will post come ideas smile.gif

RED

thx RED.....

come on people i have only had one reply. i thought we were all a team!!

well try ur hardest cuz we need all the info we can get our hands on.

i thought we could move on from the most simplest part but we could do. wot i really wanna do so its not so much work for me is to get people to volentere for doin different parts of the manual. otherwise i will be working waywayway too much.