TedHo

[SP Campaign] (WIP thread) The Red Banner - A Soviet-Afghan War Campaign

I have to admit that initially I was skeptical for the need for another map but the mountains of tora bora are really nice looking

Thanks for the feedback =D. Kunduz was too small for larger engagements. It was too flat as well. Tora Bora was perfect in both aspects.

Can someone make a walkthrough / playthrough of this campaign please?

Can someone make a walkthrough / playthrough of this campaign please?

At this stage (WIP/no voice acting) I doubt a playthrough video would be interesting. Is there any particular reason you need it so bad?

• Like 1

Well, need to know how good your work is (even though I loved your other work) before doNloadibg this amount of addons

Well, need to know how good your work is (even though I loved your other work) before doNloadibg this amount of addons

its just as good as his other campaigns.  My only complaint is that in mission 2 the "comrades cannot die" condition is too harsh since they keep getting randomly whacked by taliban and succeeding on that condition seems to be a lot of chance.  My walkthrough wouldn't be very good since I had to reload save points because of that but otherwise its very good.

in mission 2 the "comrades cannot die" condition is too harsh since they keep getting randomly whacked by taliban

Hmm... That's strange. I've set it up so that essential teammates can only be damaged by player. Are you sure it wasn't friendly fire? Otherwise are you using any additional mods?

Hmm... That's strange. I've set it up so that essential teammates can only be damaged by player. Are you sure it wasn't friendly fire? Otherwise are you using any additional mods?

I guess using ACE messed with the scripting. when they die, it has a message that says "Sargent (main character or whatever his name was) couldn't live with the fact that his friends died under his command or something like that" 

I guess using ACE messed with the scripting. when they die, it has a message that says "Sargent (main character or whatever his name was) couldn't live with the fact that his friends died under his command or something like that" 

Yeah, ACE's damage eventhandlers would override the mission's. Thanks for reporting.

Wow, another awesome soviet afeghan war mission as the previous one, I´m craving for the third, forth, whichever many missions this campaign is up to =)

It is a bit long (had to play it on 2 nights), but it has to be as it is a recreation of a war account so it only adds to this wonderful campaign... keep it coming Ted_hou, you don´t cease to amaze us =)

BTW, the last RHS update added a lot of good ol´soviet gear and uniforms, is VTN still quitessential for this campaign? I don´t mind, but keeping it light could be more appealling to the arma3 audience (as Wiki said, all those requirements disincourage some players, but if would break the immersion, so be leave it as it is...)

Spasibo! ;D

• Like 1

BTW, the last RHS update added a lot of good ol´soviet gear and uniforms, is VTN still quitessential for this campaign? I don´t mind, but keeping it light could be more appealling to the arma3 audience (as Wiki said, all those requirements disincourage some players, but if would break the immersion, so be leave it as it is...)

It's a good point. The thing with RHS is it's lack of cold-war era weapons (AK-74s/RPK-74s), and VTN does an amazingly detailed job with the weapons. If the mod requirements turn out to be a deal breaker for people I'll just make nonessential mods optional. We'll see in a couple of months before release.

• Like 1

Wow, another awesome soviet afeghan war mission as the previous one, I´m craving for the third, forth, whichever many missions this campaign is up to =)

It is a bit long (had to play it on 2 nights), but it has to be as it is a recreation of a war account so it only adds to this wonderful campaign... keep it coming Ted_hou, you don´t cease to amaze us =)

Spasibo! ;D

I agree, VTN is really big, messes with ace functions and is kind of redundant since RHS has more stuff now. That said, VTN isnt a dealbreaker, its just kind of annoying to download and might dissuade some new folks from getting into this campagin

I think I've downloaded everything I need for this mission, but when I click to start it in the campaign menu, nothing happens.

Is there any way to see what error is preventing it from loading?

Thanks!

First mission is great, second is not working for me. I start the mission, get into the truck, then  

it start typing the title on the right corner very slowly and then nothing happens...

I think I've downloaded everything I need for this mission, but when I click to start it in the campaign menu, nothing happens.

Is there any way to see what error is preventing it from loading?

Thanks!

I don't know.. could you put up a list of all the mods you have activated including any nonrequired mods?

First mission is great, second is not working for me. I start the mission, get into the truck, then  

it start typing the title on the right corner very slowly and then nothing happens...

This is most likely a CPU performance issue as the typing should have been completed way before you get in the truck. The init scripts can be quite CPU intensive. Would you mind sharing you PC specs? CPU RAM and GPU should suffice. I'll try to optimize things for lower specs.

I don't know.. could you put up a list of all the mods you have activated including any nonrequired mods?

• cba
  • shack tac UI
  • Kunduz

• CUP Core

• CUP Maps

• Leight's OPFOR

• IOT AFG

• Veteran Mod

• RHS: AFRF

• RHS: USF

• Tora Bora

All mods that are available on steam are loaded that way, the others I downloaded from your links in the first post.  I noticed that it looks like the 2nd mission is the only one available in the campaign menu?  Could that be the problem?

This is most likely a CPU performance issue as the typing should have been completed way before you get in the truck. The init scripts can be quite CPU intensive. Would you mind sharing you PC specs? CPU RAM and GPU should suffice. I'll try to optimize things for lower specs.

My specs:

Cpu: AMD phenom II X2 545 - 3 gb

Ram: 6gb

Gpu: AMD Radeon R9 200 series

It's a dated system but usually i play arma 3 very flawless both sp and mp ... 

• cba
  • shack tac UI
  • Kunduz

• CUP Core

• CUP Maps

• Leight's OPFOR

• IOT AFG

• Veteran Mod

• RHS: AFRF

• RHS: USF

• Tora Bora

All mods that are available on steam are loaded that way, the others I downloaded from your links in the first post.  I noticed that it looks like the 2nd mission is the only one available in the campaign menu?  Could that be the problem?

perhaps try using a different launcher like playwithsix?

@mortyfero99,   You should try restarting the mission... I must confess I had to restart 3 times to make it work, but unfortunatly, some scripts on SP bug whenever running for the first time... it should be an engine error, as I had the same non initialization on FR Helios Navy Seals campaign too =P

I noticed that it looks like the 2nd mission is the only one available in the campaign menu?  Could that be the problem?

Your mod list seems fine, and whichever launcher should not be a problem. The first mission is "Green Zone" and the second is "Bear Over the Mountain". You should not be able to see mission 02 before completing m01.

I believe i restart it 6 or 7 times. 

My problem it's the undepowered cpu maybe...

Yes that could be it. In the future I'll make sure all init scripts are done in the loading screen for slower CPUs to catch up. For now you could try waiting for the script to complete before continuing, but I would suggest waiting for a fix. Running through a mission with performance issues like that can be quite painful.

Got it working!

Tried running it through ArmaSync (thanks flatbear for the idea) and it gave me an error while loading the veteran mod.  Re-downloaded that mod and now it all works!

Just finished the first mission, great work ted_hou!

• Like 1

any word on the third installment in this campaign?