Tonto-

VT5 - Valtatie 5 | Final release thread | Finnish terrain for A3

SSG did a sunday Operation on this map last sunday, here's the view from the group leader in Hotel Alpha :)

I think it adds great strategic element to the map and it really should be default feature in game that calls itself "simulator". I mean try sometimes how it does feel to drive next to road.

Although I agree with this, armoured vehicles (eg LAV, BTR-80) have good offroad capabilities and can go more than 5km/h which is the current limit on the surface.

Unfortunately I have to report that we are still experiencing that specific terrain stoping ai vehicles from moving (they try to turn and get stuck turning).

Tonto- Question, can u help me getting started with a Terrain? and if anyways i can help i want to help you at the same time, with best regards Dudde

p.s you can send me skype or steam name in PM =)

Cars getting stuck off road and not being able to go past 30km/h on dirt roads is a feature I love. Also, great micro terrain :)

To contrast the sunny videos posted before, here's a no-NV no-GPS night mission we did yesterday:

Totally agree!

The Altian houses are destroying the 100% feeling of your map. I would rather choose to have only forests instead of the white houses on this map.

And as mentioned if you could contact the swedish map makers for some assets , this would upgrade your map to something amazing.

No need to contact us, we love this map, we read this thread and we decided to release the objects as a standalone to encourage this.

Still, at this stage our buildings are in general "at alpha" stage, so I understand if tonto don't want to "uglify" his map with our objects (some is of course 100% done and we will be working hard this fall to get the others up to a 100% level).

So we done our part, lets cross our fingers tonto includes some nordic houses in the next release :)

Your addon will end up to use for sure. In Vt5 and of course in future projects.

I appreciate your gesture very much. :)

EDIT: Any idea why my nickname isn't Tonto- anymore?

• Like 1

Hey! The VT5  map kicks ass but since the 1.50 patch of ARMA 3 was released, an interesting bug has arrived. It seems as if All in Arma is broken with 1.50, it causes major crashes in Dedicated MP. Since VT5 is AiA dependent, VT5 is not longer a viable map for dedicated MP play. However! Community Upgrade Project Terrains (https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/179990-community-upgrade-project-cup-terrains/) seems to work just fine with the 1.50 patch and is essentially the same thing as All in Arma (with the biggest difference that it is supported, and AiA is not).

Any chance that you guys could update VT5 to make use of CUP instead if AiA?

Thanks for making the map! 

Thanks for the heads up, pellejones! I don't believe i have encoutered such problems yet. I have been waiting for final release of CUP before making VT5 support it, but I'll check into it.

Just played around on and with it. Sexy. As. Fuck.

Is it possible to make Chernarus and other offroad terrain to be like in VT5? I mean slowdowns.

Yes it is. All you have to do is give a new value to the surfaces "maxSpeedCoef" config.

I just tried this terrain this afternoon for the very first time and I am absolutely blown away by the incredible detail, especially the forests. I have never seen any terrain come as close as this one in terms of representing the thick forests and brush of Finland. Since Northern Canada is very similar to Finland's forests, lakes and brush, I was extremely impressed with how you have been able to simulate the northern boreal woodlands like you have. Awesome job, keep up the fantastic work! :)

Wanted to say that I absolutely love your map. I can't stand all these terrain maps that have woods but it's loaded with hills after hills after more hills.

Nice and flat, dense and realistic, finally. I used this map in a new tactical horror mission and boy I had fun with this map.

By far the most creepiest woods in A3.

Map is still work in progress. :)

I've waited for CUP terrains to be released before I update the map, but don't really know how much longer I want wait.

Not sure, if this was asked already, but do you have any plans to make also a Winter version? You know, Winter is coming... ;-)

And thanks btw! One of the best, if not the best A3 map!

CUP terrains mean I will have +2x the space to store the same maps. Great :/

Was hoping to see if the map was still a WIP.  Glad it is  :)

@Pulstar, CUP will be the updated AIA.  Read up about it....

I do gotta ask though, once CUP Is released, what does that mean for maps created on AiA?  Do they require you guys reconfigure?  Or will it work either way?  GUess just wondering what the benefit would be waiting on them...

Not sure, if this was asked already, but do you have any plans to make also a Winter version? You know, Winter is coming... ;-)

And thanks btw! One of the best, if not the best A3 map!

Im not planning to make winter version of VT5, but one of the projects on my workdesk will propably have autumn/first snow landscape. Some white color on brown, yellow and green kind a.

Was hoping to see if the map was still a WIP.  Glad it is  :)

@Pulstar, CUP will be the updated AIA.  Read up about it....

I do gotta ask though, once CUP Is released, what does that mean for maps created on AiA?  Do they require you guys reconfigure?  Or will it work either way?  GUess just wondering what the benefit would be waiting on them...

Waiting CUP is just an excuse for my laziness.

Next version, lets call it v1.0, has already

New clutter configs for the fields.

Some nice bird singing and mosquito sounds. :D Not ready configs yet though.

New objects and object placement

About 95% of the sharp edges in ditches and on roads smoothed.

And I will propably add two new ponds since they are there in real life too.

I also will share the source files of the map with the v1.0.

I guess CUP compatibility depends how the map is made. Some could work without reconfiguring. But im just guessing here.

• Like 2

Hi Tonto,

as a CUP Terrains developer I can tell you that your map will be nearly 100% compatible with CUP Terrains - there is just one thing. Somewhere in your map you referenced the file "ca\plants_e2\clutter\c_raspBerr_summer.p3d". Now the correct filename would be "ca\plants_e2\clutter\c_raspBerry_summer.p3d". AiA TP had - for whatever reason - both files in it, CUP Terrains will only have one of them.

Greetings

TheConen

• Like 1

Hi Tonto,

as a CUP Terrains developer I can tell you that your map will be nearly 100% compatible with CUP Terrains - there is just one thing. Somewhere in your map you referenced the file "ca\plants_e2\clutter\c_raspBerr_summer.p3d". Now the correct filename would be "ca\plants_e2\clutter\c_raspBerry_summer.p3d". AiA TP had - for whatever reason - both files in it, CUP Terrains will only have one of them.

Greetings

TheConen

i also got an error pop-up about another missing asset. i wasn't quick enough to make a screenshot, but i think it said somethin with "small boat" or similar. i was only running cba, cup-islands-core and your fantastic vt5-map, so i guess its also a problem with cup-islands-core. in the steam workshop someone mentioned sth. about trees not falling from moartar-fire when running vt5 with cup-islands-core.

i just discovered this map yesterday and i'm really impressed. keep up the good work and thanks for this great map!

i also got an error pop-up about another missing asset. i wasn't quick enough to make a screenshot, but i think it said somethin with "small boat" or similar. i was only running cba, cup-islands-core and your fantastic vt5-map, so i guess its also a problem with cup-islands-core. in the steam workshop someone mentioned sth. about trees not falling from moartar-fire when running vt5 with cup-islands-core.

i just discovered this map yesterday and i'm really impressed. keep up the good work and thanks for this great map!

also some of the light green broadleaf trees aber completely bulletproof. there seems to be a problem with the alpha blending as they seem to have an area around them that stops bullet and block AI line of sight.

also the exit from the highway at the fuel station seems to have a problem with layering. the rough concrete from the side roads is rendered above the highway tarmac. i guess, it's supposed to be the other way around?!

as mentioned before: issues observed with "cup terrains - core"

I would love to use the terrain, are there any news on the update for it. I would hate to start building a campaign on it and see a new version in the process.

Also it is still set to require AiA on PWS, would be great if you could change that, because most of us don't want to use AiA anymore.

The forests are absolutely amazing, can't wait to see what 1.0 will look like.

Oh and I saw some issues with the roads, partially the highway is under the concrete road, wich doesn't really look like it's meant to be.

Thanks for creating this.

I feel deja vu coming on, but here we go:

When using CUP terrains, the trees become invincible to artillery/CAS. AKA they do not fall over. It can be immersion breaking. However, it is still possible to knock the trees over with a tank.