Tonto-

VT5 - Valtatie 5 | Final release thread | Finnish terrain for A3

beautiful!!! Great work man, very nicely done! TY for taking the time to make such a great map

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

EDIT: But just to be clear. Vehicles are not supposed to be used in forests in VT5.

Well, in my opinion vehicles should be able to operate in the forest, as that's the primary way of avoiding enemy air threats. Of course the wheeled variants should not be very efficient but it still should be possible even for them. During my conscription my instructor used to say that if there is no path in the forest, we simply make our own. Tracked IFVs and APCs are surprisingly efficient at pushing over trees if done right, and tanks do not even notice the trees in front of them.

For example if a company uses mixed elements of tracked and wheeled vehicles (e.g. BMP-2s, MT-LBvs, CV90s, Pasis, Trucks etc) tracked vehicles are used in the front to make paths and wheeled vehices will follow the same paths in the distance.

Also at nights we used to bring the vehicles as close to our tents as possible (which of course are placed in to the forest) so if there is an alarm we would be able to quickly get to the vehicles and fight.

Wow. Absolutely wow. Even this is Finland it also feel like here in Sweden. This map will be played for sure.

Great job!

I wanted to test your map but I noticed that you added Afghan (from AiA) as a dependency, don't know why. Personnaly I deleted this map because I felt it was useless (It is just a smaller Takistan). Is this map realy necessary in order to play VT5 ? The PBO does not contain any object, I think.

Thanks for telling, Sparfell. I don't believe map will need afghan.pbo and I will fix it for next version. I wasn't sure would there be any problems if I left some aiatp addon's out, so the whole mod is required.

Thanks for telling, Sparfell. I don't believe map will need afghan.pbo and I will fix it for next version. I wasn't sure would there be any problems if I left some aiatp addon's out, so the whole mod is required.

Ok, cool, thanks for the answer.

is this fog effect a script ?

Yup, it's setfog array, which is a really nasty thing to use in scripts. Looks good, but the distribution is dependent on the map (altitude), and well, you can have places with no fog but inside the fog you don't see sh**. It's hard to handle. What I don't like: it's blue-ish

Edited by tortuosit

For example if a company uses mixed elements of tracked and wheeled vehicles (e.g. BMP-2s, MT-LBvs, CV90s, Pasis, Trucks etc) tracked vehicles are used in the front to make paths and wheeled vehices will follow the same paths in the distance.

In combat situations it would be unlikely that vehicles would be used in this way in a forest as thick as the ones in VT5 (or most of eastern Finland for that matter). The visibility in most areas is so short that it would be tactical suicide to drive multiple vehicles into the forest that might be occupied by hostiles.

My point is, in arma3's context, it is very unlikely that any military would actually try to use vehicles off-road. Except heavy ones ofc, like tanks.

Because Arma3 currently has the problem that trees and foliage just fall over without slowing vehicles down at all (this will be fixed in CUP Terrains), I think it is a good compromise that tracked vehicles move slow in the woods and wheeled ones (the ones I tested, RHS) move very slow.

Also at nights we used to bring the vehicles as close to our tents as possible (which of course are placed in to the forest) so if there is an alarm we would be able to quickly get to the vehicles and fight.

In case of an alarm, would you really try to drive a wheeled vehicle through the forest, or would you as a sensible person go for the road, if you actually needed to redeploy that far. Armored vehicles aside, forests are not the place to use wheeled vehicles in Finland.

e:

As far as testing within armafinland goes, we haven't had any problems with vehicles being too slow or too fast. At least the GAZ Tigr managed to survive at a sensible pace through the thick forests, following a small path. All the dirt roads allow cars to go faster, but sensibly so.

Edited by Nummi

Some precisions : See below the pbos that I don't use with AiATP, I believe none of them contain objects or objects configs so they don't need to be added as a dependency. BUT I can be wrong.

• chernarus_summer.pbo
  • chernarus_summer.pbo.AiA_TP_2014_10_18.bisign
  • chernarus_summer_c.pbo
  • chernarus_summer_c.pbo.AiA_TP_2014_10_18.bisign
  • afghan PBO's
  • desert (not 'deserte' and 'desert2')
  • sahrani PBO's

What I did not took from AIA data pack (in red) :

http://i.imgur.com/InuiadA.jpg

Nummi it would be fine if vehicles were slowed, but the terrain has so much friction a large number of vehicles cannot physically move on it and get stuck permanently, they cannot even reverse off it, even if 1 wheel touches it. Now players can potentially just keep away from the forested areas, however, the AI do not understand this and it leads to the AI just getting stuck randomly on the map with no way of ever moving.

In combat situations it would be unlikely that vehicles would be used in this way in a forest as thick as the ones in VT5 (or most of eastern Finland for that matter). The visibility in most areas is so short that it would be tactical suicide to drive multiple vehicles into the forest that might be occupied by hostiles.

My point is, in arma3's context, it is very unlikely that any military would actually try to use vehicles off-road. Except heavy ones ofc, like tanks.

Because Arma3 currently has the problem that trees and foliage just fall over without slowing vehicles down at all (this will be fixed in CUP Terrains), I think it is a good compromise that tracked vehicles move slow in the woods and wheeled ones (the ones I tested, RHS) move very slow.

Well obviously it's not a formation meant for frontline fighting, but rather a way of moving with whole company when nearing the presumed enemy positions with enemy having air superiority. The tracked front units are moving few hundred meters ahead of the wheeled maintenance and support units and communicate between each groups with motorbike messengers and radios. And once there is enemy contact supporting units stay back and fighting elements move on to normal attack formations etc. This method is of course highly dependant on the terrain used, but I'd say there is areas in VT5 fit for it as there is enough gaps between the taller trees.

The main idea of my previous post was that it's already hard enough to try to accomplish the wanted results in the missions in ArmAverse due to certain restrictions, and having even more restrictions that albeit might at times feel justified can at certain times cause even more problems, especially if there is AI units involed. So I'd rather have more freedom than restrictions for gameplays sake, as it's' easier to simply just not do something than it is to do the impossible. Which is why this is happening:

Nummi it would be fine if vehicles were slowed, but the terrain has so much friction a large number of vehicles cannot physically move on it and get stuck permanently, they cannot even reverse off it, even if 1 wheel touches it. Now players can potentially just keep away from the forested areas, however, the AI do not understand this and it leads to the AI just getting stuck randomly on the map with no way of ever moving.
In case of an alarm, would you really try to drive a wheeled vehicle through the forest, or would you as a sensible person go for the road, if you actually needed to redeploy that far. Armored vehicles aside, forests are not the place to use wheeled vehicles in Finland.

In case of an alarm I'd drive my own pre-planned route to my fire position which I scouted before I settled for the night. If the enemy has air superiority, would you rather risk going to the road and getting your vehicle taken out by air assets or keep using the woods as cover as much as possible?

I just updated VT5 to v0.2. Vanilla APCs are now at least moving on the map. :D

Download link can be found in first post. You can download it now from Steam also!

Changelog:

3-7-2015 - v0.2

-Added new surface.

-Fixed misplaced objects.

-Fixed APC movement on forest surfaces.

-Tweaked terrain lighting. Rain and storm weathers are brighter. Ambient light should be less blue-ish.

-Tweaked heightmap.

-Removed unnecessary dependencies.

Edited by Tonto-

It definitely would and I recommend it even I've not tested it with my map yet. :)

I'm waiting for CUP terrains to be released.

-Removed unnecessary dependencies.

Thanks a lot. Your work is appreciated. Good looking map.

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. Soon we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Damn dude, this looks very nice! Thank you for creating such awesome content!

Sad that is slows down vehicles when off road. You almost come to a stop. Otherwise a fantastic map.

PS

If you could change the short grass in open areas that would be great. View distance is really short and it just pops up when running and driving which is quite dissapointing to this map greatness. The grass in the front of the picture is much better and more realistic if you ask me.

http://i.imgur.com/USqLsaB.jpg (671 kB)

Second picture with the low quality popping grass all over the place.

http://i.imgur.com/ozk0JVO.jpg

Edited by Nikiforos

I think it adds great strategic element to the map and it really should be default feature in game that calls itself "simulator". I mean try sometimes how it does feel to drive next to road. :) Though I understand well why it divides opinions.

I'll see what i can do with the fields. I'm not satisfied to the visual neither. The 'object' option in video settings is tied with clutter view distance btw.