Tonto-

VT5 - Valtatie 5 | Final release thread | Finnish terrain for A3

The map is very beautiful. You conveyed the atmosphere of the northern region very good! Amazing job!

Very nice map even to just drive around.

5pKkf7zm.jpg?1

Edited by AKM762

Wow, looks really great, reminds me a bit of Beketov and Celle.

Defintley looking forward to using it with CUP Terrains in the future.

Upealle näyttää metsät. Pitääkin lisätä tuki WLA:lle. :) Looking great, cant wait to try.

Hääälööö Finläääänd :)

Tapiola! Very lovely.

- If available, do you plan the replace buildings? Well, because of the Altis vibes... Someone did do a Sweden map a while ago and there were those red houses... but I think it were his assets...

- Will there be a bigger city/town?

How is your experience with so dense forests and plants (i.e. many objects): This should only be a question of the GPU speed and RAM, right? I must say (without units) it ran pretty well already on my GTX570. I guess when I get my gtx970, it will be alright.

Where is the RL terrain?

Edited by tortuosit

This looks nice, the forests are really well done. And that big road is great for speed tests: did you know that the sport hatchback reaches its top speed at 326 km/h? :D

Standard question for terrains in that area: Will there be a snow version?

- If available, do you plan the replace buildings? Well, because of the Altis vibes... Someone did do a Sweden map a while ago and there were those red houses... but I think it were his assets...

Totally agree!

The Altian houses are destroying the 100% feeling of your map. I would rather choose to have only forests instead of the white houses on this map.

And as mentioned if you could contact the swedish map makers for some assets , this would upgrade your map to something amazing.

The Altian houses are destroying the 100% feeling of your map. I would rather choose to have only forests instead of the white houses on this map.

And as mentioned if you could contact the swedish map makers for some assets , this would upgrade your map to something amazing.

Oh yes please. Indeed Assets of vanilla ArmA always destroy a lot. Maps now feel like... "Altis with dense forests"... "Altis with snow".. "Chernarus with tropical trees",, etc. etc

I'd love to have more nordic look on map too. I had no idea Swedesh Forces Pack team were doing map :o I'll have to ask them about it definitely.

Every building is replaceable ofc. I personaly just value buildings with indoors much much more than building with right looking paint coat. Indoors add more gameplay elements than visual look.

Map will not have cities. I might add runway to the outside of the map. The

in itself will have to do as runway for now.

I find the performance to be surprisingly good. It has not been tested with high player count + AI, but for TVT purposes it is proven to work fine. +30 players with +120 AI units worked fine as far is I know. I'm sure the map will have some AI issues, especially because of objects close to narrow roads. AI seems to navigate pretty well though.

I guess the map is made purely TVT in mind.

Higher object distance means lower performance. I'll have to check my gpu-load when i get back to my pc, but im pretty sure it is heavier load for GPU than most maps. I think the map is fully playable with object distance of 2000 since low distances on ground at least..

I5 4960k @4,7ghz, GTX770 2gb with very high settings and 2x fxaa gives me a pretty solid +50fps. Lowering the texture quality under high makes a huge difference in performance and visual ofc. :D

Here is the area IRL https://www.google.fi/maps/@61.8275906,27.6305537,13z

Edited by Tonto-

Amazing map, I love it!

Inspired myself to do some personal Finnish skins and just walk around the terrain. Most accurate representation of Finnish terrain in any game/mod I've seen. I also decided to take a look around in google maps: the map seems to be placed near Pekurila which is northeast from Mikkeli.

Really great terrain with very nice detail, like to walk in the woods, drive on the dirt roads and like the bumping feeling. The Altis houses don't bother me, feels good to me.

Nothing more really to say then Wow!

We were 16 players last night playing a more then 3 hour coop mission, here is a fellow friend who streamed it all..

First part

Second part

I really love this map, and I'm glad to be around to see this thing grow to what it is today.

The way Tonto and the crew worked on the forests and wilderness areas are something other map makers should take notice.

Forests really feel like forests, not just areas with few trees sticking out.

Great work, and I have plenty of mission ideas in mind for this one.

Good work!

Great map. Last summer I did take that main road on my summer vacation in finland going up to joensuu :)

Looks very natural, love the little elevations in the terrain.

Better (non A2) trees/more fitting houses would be the icing on the cake, anyway one beautiful piece of art already. Too bad there wont be north european trees coming with the expansion :(

Great map. Last summer I did take that main road on my summer vacation in finland going up to joensuu :)

Looks very natural, love the little elevations in the terrain.

Better (non A2) trees/more fitting houses would be the icing on the cake, anyway one beautiful piece of art already. Too bad there wont be north european trees coming with the expansion :(

"It is the year 2130. Climate change happened. Finland is now a subtropical paradise."

Gimme them palm trees next to Saunas, please.

I can confirm that this map has performance that is at minimum on par with other well made maps, and often times it is better. We've been testing it in our sessions and I don't remember having heard any complaints of low fps, unlike great looking maps like Kunduz or Bornholm, which have universally yielded bad FPS for our players.

An interesting playground for messing with ground fog, because of the many height variations...

2015-06-28_0000199lal.jpg

I am surprised how good it runs. I was expecting it to be more demanding as Bornholm, but it does not seem to be the case.

Yep running very smoothly. Alone in the editor stable 60fps is easily achieved with highest settings.

Hi firstly, congrats on releasing such a great map!

I have been testing areas in it for use as part of a mechanised infantry assault and have come across a bug. I initially found the bug in the forested area in the NW of grid 049 966. If you are driving a tracked vehicle or a car type vehicle (BI MRAP thing) then it is all ok, but if you try to drive a wheeled armoured vehicle (eg BI Marshall) it grinds to a halt like the terrain has max resistance. I have noted this bug on all areas in the map that use the same kind of ground.

Hi firstly, congrats on releasing such a great map!

I have been testing areas in it for use as part of a mechanised infantry assault and have come across a bug. I initially found the bug in the forested area in the NW of grid 049 966. If you are driving a tracked vehicle or a car type vehicle (BI MRAP thing) then it is all ok, but if you try to drive a wheeled armoured vehicle (eg BI Marshall) it grinds to a halt like the terrain has max resistance. I have noted this bug on all areas in the map that use the same kind of ground.

Just to make this a bit clearer here is a screenshot when it crosses from the field into the woodland area, in the woodland area and in the pictured area it grinds to halt (It is not the stone wall causing the issue as far as I can tell).

http://i.imgur.com/p44iIEZ.jpg (846 kB)

Thanks for the nice map, it is really awesome!

I noticed that the vanilla apcs are less capable in offroad than offroad car. So i guess problem is in marshal config. I was going to register bug report about this, because i think huge wheeled armored car should work better in offroad.

Now its like suv

Edited by Tonto-

I have tested with all wheeled vanilla apcs they all exhibit the same problem. It also means that any modded vehicles that inherit from them, eg strykers, have the same problem. It is unfortunate as it makes a large portion of the map unplayable for mechanised infantry warfare.

To add to my initial post, it actually freezes the vehicle to the ground and makes it unmoveable (both forwards and backwards) meaning that the vehicle is effectively stuck indefinitely. I haven't encountered this bug on any other terrain, it seems to be something to do with the friction of the surface of the terrain.

Edited by Delta1292

Vehicles that inherit vanilla configs are problem ofc, but for example RHS vehicles work just fine. It's just about vanilla configs.

I'll have to think about this but I would not want to fix problem that is caused obviously broken vanilla config.

EDIT: But just to be clear. Vehicles are not supposed to be used in forests in VT5.

Edited by Tonto-

I'm unsure how it can be vanilla vehicles as they work on all other terrains (both modded and stock) fine, to me it looks like the terrain friction is set very high and the vanilla vehicles (and any vehicles that inherit from them or have similar power/weight ratio) do not have enough power to move on it.

Anyway, I hope it is fixable, either by BI or yourself. Other than this the terrain is great!

I had the Problem with the UAZ from RHS. I could go 20 km/h at max. on dirt roads. Don´t know if that should be reported here or on the RHS feedback tracker though.