Sign in to follow this  
chrisb

Delta Six. Gun Style Game Controller

First off, I would say I haven't got this or seen one in person. Plus I searched but didn't find a thread for it here on the forum.

If there is a thread, could this please be merged.

I have put this topic here in the game section because, well its for games.

Now there are a few videos on YT concerning this and its been through a KS campaign.

The thing I am interested in is, has anyone got one, what is it like, does it work with Arma, or be configured to work with the series. I would say I don't intend to get one, I would have prior 5yrs ago, but not now unfortunately.

What do players think of this type of controller. We all know that there have been gun style controllers in the past and that, on the whole, they haven't progressed much. This does however, seem a little different to some other types around.

Would it add immersive gameplay ? I know the sight they use is pretty clever, its covered in other YT videos. In brief when you look through the guns sight the screen changes to sight mode and when you look normally it changes back to normal picture mode. Also the movement is quite good using a gyroscope.

Just interested on views from players. It looks good, I would have thought for active players with very large screens, it could be fun to use. What do you think ?

I would add, I'm not really convinced regards its name 'Delta Six', I would think some other name may have been better.. Still.

This video is cringeworthy...

Also, it looks like a big hunk of plastic.

How do you controll character movement with this thing?

Edited by X3KJ

jD7q-_nJNPQ

:confused:

With the front grip , there you have the controls

http://www.thedeltasix.com/images/products/d6-gun-joystick.jpg

http://www.thedeltasix.com/images/products/d6-gun-trigger.jpg

http://avengercontroller.com/product/delta-six-gaming-controller/

Edited by RobertHammer

With the front grip , there you have the controls

http://www.thedeltasix.com/images/products/d6-gun-joystick.jpg

http://www.thedeltasix.com/images/products/d6-gun-trigger.jpg

http://avengercontroller.com/product/delta-six-gaming-controller/

You have a lot better links than I put, I should have looked around a little.

But yes, the grip has buttons and the reload 'R' or whatever it is in A3, is the magazine out/in. I can't see a full Arma mission/game being played with this. But for shooting range type setup's, then I could see some fun using it.

Regards the first reply, hunk of plastic. Well, we're pc gaming and most peripherals are made up of reasonable quantities of plastic. Although after holding that up for an hour or so plinking on a range at targets. I would imagine it would gain weight, or seem too. ;)

So in a couple of years i will be standing on an omni while wearing an occulus rift and holding a large plastic gun? Great, i'll never be able to keep a girlfriend around like that. :(

Edited by NeMeSiS
  • Like 1

Regards the first reply, hunk of plastic. Well, we're pc gaming and most peripherals are made up of reasonable quantities of plastic. Although after holding that up for an hour or so plinking on a range at targets. I would imagine it would gain weight, or seem too. ;)

training... or just realworld behaviour - you don't raise your gun unless you want to shoot/ zoom at something. Which could be a problem for the controller, if it controlls your viewdirection. I doubt i would enjoy wielding a huge ass piece of plastic with the aproximate shape of a gun... Either go fully generic (stick, grip, magazine and stock) with little clutter, or go full realistic, but then with actual quality finish (like a moderately decent airsoft at least), so it actually feels like a real thing, and not some big china plastic thing.

This thing, to me, looks neither realistic, nor handy. A china plastic gun with some added buttons for 350 quid...? No thanks.

So in a couple of years i will be standing on an omni while wearing an occulus rift and holding a large plastic gun?

That would require the games to support independent head, arm and leg movement... Head is already kinda rare and mostly limited to simulator type games.

Does this controller also detect translation (because with a gyroscope you can only detect rotation...)? That would also be needed to make this work.

Many people say Occulus Rift will be awesome for simulators... which i dont really understand, because most simulators require complex controlls. Every game that requires more then one controller/joystick (which you have to be able to controll blindly) will not work at all with Occulus rift. You would need realtime hand tracking and some way to display your actual environment into the game world (if you think about self built simulator cockpits and the like). Unless you want to controll everything via giant radial menus...

Edited by X3KJ

That would require the games to support independent head, arm and leg movement... Head is already kinda rare and mostly limited to simulator type games.

I dont know how it works exactly (cant make out what makes him turn ingame, head or gun movement) but this looks like a lot of fun to me. Not sure why you assume we need individual limb movement.

Edited by NeMeSiS

training... or just realworld behaviour - you don't raise your gun unless you want to shoot/ zoom at something. Which could be a problem for the controller, if it controlls your viewdirection. I doubt i would enjoy wielding a huge ass piece of plastic with the aproximate shape of a gun... Either go fully generic (stick, grip, magazine and stock) with little clutter, or go full realistic, but then with actual quality finish (like a moderately decent airsoft at least), so it actually feels like a real thing, and not some big china plastic thing.

This thing, to me, looks neither realistic, nor handy. A china plastic gun with some added buttons for 350 quid...? No thanks.

I can see its not for you, its not for me either as I said, although it would have been some years back. But I wonder how you know what it feels like, have you tried one ?

Also I didn't know the price, that does sound steep, but there again I pay a lot out on peripherals anyway, so price wouldn't have bothered me really, pc gaming is a hobby for me, so I spend on it.

Regards the movement of your character, its in-built gyro, it says all you have to do is just tilt the gun either left or right. Plinking fun, I reckon.

I dont know how it works exactly (cant make out what makes him turn ingame, head or gun movement) but this looks like a lot of fun to me. Not sure why you assume we need individual limb movement.

he controlls camera movement with his head. The Gun controller movement itself (which is a completely different model then we talk about here) does not do anything from what it looks. I assume that there is a "pressure plate" in the controllers stock to sense wether or not he aims with the gun and therefore scopes in or out. It's a bit difficult to tell though because the left and right video are out of sync. Also the controller in that movie is what i would describe as slimmed down - which is good. The big size of the controller of this topic and its look would be useless, because you don't see anything of it anyway.

If you controll the aimingpoint with your head, then you don't need the features of this topic's controller either, which has individual motion sensor - it would be useless in this case (you still pay for it), the scope of it would also be useless (VR Goggles).

But I wonder how you know what it feels like, have you tried one ?

I don't know, i'm speculating - based on the things they showed in their promotional material. And they showed how they screwed together the 2 plastic body pieces. I owned my fair share of plastic guns, and this one looks exactly like one. Huge screw holes all over the place, 2 body halfes, etc. I would be extremely surprised if it feels any different. then that.

Regarding the controll mechanisms - i don't need to try one to evaluate the controll mechanisms of the gun.

Edited by X3KJ