Sign in to follow this  
R3vo

How to create a proper helicopter insertion?

Hey folks,

Even though it seems to be an elementary thing I have some trouble making it perfect.

I've recently released a mission on the Steamworkshop which starts with a simple helicopter insertion. The problem now is, that the helicopter doesn't land in 1 out of 10 times, simply because it's too fast.

Simply adding a waypoint with speed set to "normal" or "limited" does not work, because then the helicopter brakes abrubtly and increases its height and the enemies will spot it (it's set captive, but it looks rediculous and unrealistic).

So I'm basically looking for a way (In Editor,or SQF) to make the insertion look more like a real person is flying it.

E.g. Fly in low, reduce speed slowly to not increase the altitude too much, then land. Last but not least it should be reliable. I don't want people playing a mission where the helicopter doesn't even land properly.

I'd much apprechiate any tips on how to improve insertions.

I dont knew about scripting mutch but i saw the best heli insertion on ALiVE respawn module. Look into this one is freaking wunderbar.

......I'm basically looking for a way (In Editor,or SQF) to make the insertion look more like a real person is flying it....
Unitcapture and Unitplay are your new friends.

How-to-use-UnitCapture-in-Arma-3

Thanks Beerkan, I didn't know about that. Sounds promising.

Edit: This works flawless, a pity haven't heard about that earlier. Would have saved me some grey hair.

Edited by R3vo

Be warned, though, that the unit replay function needs a display and will thus not work on a dedicated server

Sent from my Xperia Z1

Forgot to mention, there is a 'simple" version of the replay function that works on dedicated servers, so you would best use this if there is no display, and the full one if there is

Sent from my Xperia Z1

I have the same issue with AI. By having them orbit into the LZ, I can get them to decrease speed.

Im gonna try out that record function. That sounds cool.