Sign in to follow this  
A.Cyprus

Cyprus Autorun

Cyprus Autorun v1.0

RELEASED: v1.6: 21 JUNE 2015

cyp_autorun_logo.png?raw=1

About:

Tired of long marches and endless foot patrols? Fed up of perma-holding your W key? Lazy fingers, Homer fingers, or missing fingers? Let Cyprus Autorun do the work for you, now with bonus Autowalk! Cyprus Autorun allows you to toggle automatic running or walking of your player character via configurable keys.

More info:

Autorun and Autowalk key bindings may be changed in-game via: CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS.

Hitting any movement key or taking damage in-game will disable Autorun or Autowalk toggles.

When fatigue kicks in, or terrain becomes too steep, Autorun will temporarily switch to Autowalk until it is able to switch back.

Tap your regular in-game SPRINT key to activate sprint while Autorunning. Tap it again to switch back to the regular jog-run.

Zeus is supported while remote controlling infantry units.

Disclaimer:

While I have no use for such an addon myself, a BattleGroup buddy joked about wanting one and it seemed an interesting scripting challenge to try.

But. Cyprus Autorun is an experimental addon.

I have tried to prevent any game exploits (e.g. infinite running when fully fatigued, sprinting up impossibly steep hills, running across the seabed etc) and also to ensure it works in most situations you'd expect it to (whilst holding any weapon).

However.

It may yield unpredictable results. Use responsibly and at your own risk. Please do post constructive feedback, helpful advice, bug reports or sensible feature requests below.

I am especially interested to hear about any situations you discover where it messes up movement animations or is incompatible with other addons. I have not tested with AGM or ACE3, when dragging objects, for example.

Downloads:

- Dropbox, v1.0

- Armaholic, v1.0

- Play WithSix, v1.0

Requirements:

- CBA for Arma 3

- Lazy fingers, Homer fingers, missing fingers

Simple instructions:

- Install the addon folder to your Arma 3 directory, or regular addon folder path

- Launch Arma 3 with parameter -mod=@CBA_A3;@cyp_autorun_a3

- Set your Autorun key bindings in-game via: CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS

Server admins:

Cyprus Autorun is an experimental addon. It is signed but the key will apply to this specific version only.

Thanks to:

- R.Cowan, for nagging me every possible chance he could :P

- My friends at the Expeditionary BattleGroup - always looking for decent members!, http://www.theexpeditionarybattlegroup.com

License:

This work is released under the Arma Public License Share Alike license.

APL-SA.png

Please include the readme.txt intact when 'sharing' the addon.

Change log:

- [initial release, 21.06.2015]

Edited by A.Cyprus
added playwithsix mirror
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh sweet!

I was thinking about making something like that, but didn't know where to start.

I've been using a program to emulate the "Hold W key", but it was a bit glitchy...

Going to try this right away, thanks!

So I can drink and do other things while on a 20km walk to the objective now? You sir, well done!

Great stuff Cyprus, look forward to testing it out.

Thanks, Foxhound, as always.

I was thinking about making something like that, but didn't know where to start.

Yeah, I tried a number of different approaches to making it work, this one seemed to pull it off the best so far.

So I can drink and do other things while on a 20km walk to the objective now? You sir, well done!

You might have to steer a couple of times, and watch out for enemies, but yeah!

Great stuff Cyprus, look forward to testing it out.

Nice one dude, hope it helps you out. Let me know how you get on :)

Now I can stop jamming change in between my keys. I was wondering how long it would be before something like this came along. Nice Work!

Now I can stop jamming change in between my keys. I was wondering how long it would be before something like this came along. Nice Work!

Thanks.

I'm actually really surprised by how many people have told me they somehow wedge their keys down, I've never really felt the need myself. Glad it helps!

Hey A.Cyprus,

I cannot see your addon in the list from "CONFIGURE > CONTROLS > CONFIGURE ADDONS" or when i use "-mod=@CBA_A3;@cyp_autorun_a3" in the steam launch options area.

I am on Dev branch, does it have default key bindings setup?

Yeah, default keys are:

CTRL+R = Autorun

CTRL+ALT+R = Autowalk

(I fully expect ppl will change these)

I'm assuming your CBA folder matches the one in the mod path above, right?

Edit: just did a quick test.

All works OK here.

Because of the way the keybind system works, you may need to be in a mission or editor session to see the addon in the configure list.

Failing that, please pm me your rpt file. I'm not on dev branch so it could be related.

Edited by A.Cyprus

New mod v1.0 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

banner-420x120.png

Hey A.Cyprus , you can upload updates or new mods to withSIX yourself now!

Make your own promo page, get the power to release your work at your own point of choosing.

To learn more, follow this guide.

Thanks Kari, I was aiming to do so when I had some time this evening. Thank you for sorting.

Opening post updated.

LMAO it's funny because I'm fat.. I mean, lazy.. Now nobody has to hold my beer.

Good job!!

Yeah, default keys are:

CTRL+R = Autorun

CTRL+ALT+R = Autowalk

(I fully expect ppl will change these)

I'm assuming your CBA folder matches the one in the mod path above, right?

Edit: just did a quick test.

All works OK here.

Because of the way the keybind system works, you may need to be in a mission or editor session to see the addon in the configure list.

Failing that, please pm me your rpt file. I'm not on dev branch so it could be related.

Ok cheers Ill try that out, yep path is same and I didn't realize sometimes you need to be in mission to configure so will try it all out, thanks :)

This is great thanks for putting it together, I guess the next question is can auto follow be done, love to be able to click on my team member and followhim if I step away from the keyboard. Last thing I need is go away on auto run and team moves other direction. Just asking, great work on what you put out already.

Hey man, no worries.

You're actually the second person that has asked for a follow function. To be honest, I'm not sure where I stand on it. I can understand the utility of such a feature, though on the other hand I'm more of a realism guy and not much a fan of diluting things down too much.

If I implemented such an option, it would need to have some primitive path finding or at least work by following the target's footsteps exactly (which you should be doing anyway), else you might get stuck behind an obstacle on route. It might also need to at least respect minimum spacings, though I wouldn't go as far as considering formation.

It's not something I particularly planned to do, though I won't rule it out either - if there is enough interest by you all. Will think on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, default keys are:

CTRL+R = Autorun

CTRL+ALT+R = Autowalk

I kinda gave up after that, he just kept reloading :p

anyway finally tried the pro tip for setting controls while mission is running and voila!

CTRL+ W = Autorun

CTRL+ALT+ W = Autowalk

And i think its fkn great.. i love it and it feels perfect for a game like this with large terrains.

Can the sequence from walk to sprint change from walk to jog to sprint?

And im all for auto follow and if i could throw in again the ability to auto walk to waypoint created in map and any other feature that suits lol :rolleyes:

Thanks for making this :D

I kinda gave up after that, he just kept reloading :p

Oh jeez, did I say CTRL+R? Sorry dude, not sure why I put that, it was indeed as you discovered CTRL+W etc, since W is forward in most people's setups.

I'll probably change that in my own config because it conflicts when I'm moving and try to raise or lower my weapon with CTRLx2.

anyway finally tried the pro tip for setting controls while mission is running and voila!

Good stuff, dude. I'll aim to fix that in a future version, so that the configure options show from game launch. It's a a thing with the CBA keybinding system atm.

Can the sequence from walk to sprint change from walk to jog to sprint?

Not as it stands but I suppose I could change it, though you could just as easily use CTRL+W to switch into auto jog. The tap-to-sprint feature was a last minute addition, kind of an oh-shit-get-to-cover key, or just a temporary speed boost.

Thanks for the positive feedback :)

The tap-to-sprint feature was a last minute addition, kind of an oh-shit-get-to-cover key, or just a temporary speed boost.

Yeah that makes sense, havent used it in that situation yet but i imagine thats what i would want to do, haul ass so to speak, sweet!

I know your mod page says you don't actually need this mod for yourself; it was only experimental.

Is this different from the Controls > Keyboard > Infantry Movement options? I've been using these vanilla control options:

Sprint (toggle)

Walk or run toggle

I never looked for them before, but I seem to recall they were there prior to v1.50. They are not mapped to any keys by default, so if you don't do a line-item examination of the actions that can optionally be keymapped, you wouldn't know they're there.

I mapped the walk/run toggle to Capslock and sprint toggle to Shift. I have completely unbound the normal keys for temporary (hold down) sprinting or walking.

Is this different from the Controls > Keyboard > Infantry Movement options? 

Hey dakaodo

Apologies, not been online much of late.

You've probably figured it out by now, but to answer your question - yes, entirely different. The vanilla movement controls and toggles may affect how your character behaves whilst moving but you essentially still need to press and hold a key to make him/her walk/jog/run etc. 

This addon enables your player character to move forwards without you having to keep a key pressed down.

Thanks.

I'm actually really surprised by how many people have told me they somehow wedge their keys down, I've never really felt the need myself. Glad it helps!

I've been doing it since OFP.

Swedish 10 crowns has a nice size, fits a key perfectly then stacking some bigger coins on top.

:D

Think of all the loose coins you can all send to me instead now ;)