Sign in to follow this  
Bucic

Is there no body inertia while turning?

Is this how it's supposed to be in ArmA 3 or have I changed some settings? At just 900 DPI I can rotate left and right pretty much exactly as my mouse cursor in windows. A 180 deg turn as a fully equipped infantryman is literally instant. Or at least as fast as I can move my mouse across a distance of an inch or so.

Related

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150519-In-the-future-apparently-human-beings-are-not-subject-to-inertia-or-weight/page34

Yes I believe you are seeing default turn speed, and I agree it shouldn't be that way. In MP when other players turn that fast, I think it interpolates (or similar) on your end so you don't see it. But you sure see it on your own character when turning fast.

I couldn't find any reports on the issue tracker related to this. Weird.

Yep, I really think we should have inertia. Depended on stance and speed. Lower stance, slower turning. Sprinting and jogging, slower turning. Just simple stuff. Loadouts weight could also affect it.

After 1800 hours of playing, it still grinds me the most, I hated the zigzagging since day 1 so friggin much :butbut:

No we all know how it goes when the first shot doesn't hit, enemy will prob run like the Flash and slalom rapidly to safety :D

END THE ZIGGITYZWAGGITY

E: offtopic, but characters should fall sometimes when hit, instead of that horrid flinching animation..

Edited by oggoeg

I vaguely recall Maruk saying in 2013 that they'd experimented during development but gave up on character inertia due to unspecified unresolved issues.

I vaguely recall Maruk saying in 2013 that they'd experimented during development but gave up on character inertia due to unspecified unresolved issues.

But at least they didn't give up with weapon collision, now we can walk on walls and go through stuff. :annoy: FPDR

The entry is about lower stances but it's something.

I can't think of a way to implement this that wouldn't make aiming feel awful.

I can't think of a way to implement this that wouldn't make aiming feel awful.
Which is probably what the designers decided as well in giving up on the idea at the time, especially when conventional-FPS aiming was considered a selling point (i.e. official footage not using free aiming).

I have played with 100% free floating zone since 2001 and think the inertia was ok to play with as you still could aim quickly within the free floating zone. That was one of the features that made me love OFP. Then in armed assault and arma2 they gave the players the option to adjust or even turn off that feature. Now it seems like no zone is the standard and they made the avatar a more normal FPS twitch fire, the free float zone is only there for us few strange guys...

I have played with 100% free floating zone since 2001 and think the inertia was ok to play with as you still could aim quickly within the free floating zone. That was one of the features that made me love OFP. Then in armed assault and arma2 they gave the players the option to adjust or even turn off that feature. Now it seems like no zone is the standard and they made the avatar a more normal FPS twitch fire, the free float zone is only there for us few strange guys...

The problem is that "dead zone" aiming still feels like crap and isn't actually a good representation of what using a rifle feels like since it breaks established rules of marksmanship, for example cheek weld, Dslyecxi did a pretty good blog post on this subject way back in September of 2012. The problem with Arma III's movement system is in the animation, not the implementation. Your soldier no longer controls like a robot, like in Arma II, but because of the rigid animation, he still looks like one. The problem is that he doesn't twist at the waist at all unless you do it manually, which is an awkward process for the non-TrackIR user.

I just can't think of a way to implement inertia that doesn't bring back the "robot" feel from the old games. I imagine the Dev team gave up on it for the same reason.

Edited by War_lord

The problem is that "dead zone" aiming still feels like crap and isn't actually a good representation of what using a rifle feels like since it breaks established rules of marksmanship, for example cheek weld, Dslyecxi did a pretty good blog post on this subject way back in September of 2012. The problem with Arma III's movement system is in the animation, not the implementation. Your soldier no longer controls like a robot, like in Arma II, but because of the rigid animation, he still looks like one. The problem is that he doesn't twist at the waist at all unless you do it manually, which is an awkward process for the non-TrackIR user.

I just can't think of a way to implement inertia that doesn't bring back the "robot" feel from the old games. I imagine the Dev team gave up on it for the same reason.

I'm here thinking would arma gameplay benefit from DayZ like inertia where heavier weapons drag behind your mouse movement, maybe more suddle effect than in DayZ. I know we have some inertia in Arma too, but it never really hindered large weapons in close quarters as the developers planned.

Currently everyone benefits from taking large hard hitting rifle like Cyrus into CQ rather than a weapon that was designed for it like PDW:s or bullpup rifle, as they will always be worse.

I still find it very easy to handle. Aiming is so fast currently it doesn't matter what weapon one uses.

Currently we can CoD-style quickscope with the longest sniper rifle in the game. :butbut: Way too easy.

Here is a good sample video of weapon inertia

I'd love to hear some insight from the devs about this.

Edited by oggoeg

It seems to resemble free-aim too much in terms of "the feel" that the devs consciously foreswore by choosing sight-misalignment over dragging, there was something of an elaboration in an OPREP (which machineabuse then proceeded to call dev "character assassination​" of 'true' inertia)...

It seems to resemble free-aim too much in terms of "the feel" that the devs consciously foreswore by choosing sight-misalignment over dragging, there was something of an elaboration in an OPREP (which machineabuse then proceeded to call dev "character assassination​" of 'true' inertia)...

Hmh, I'd rather have both, since both dragging and misaligment should be "suddle". Dayz feels exaggerated.

Hmh, I'd rather have both, since both dragging and misaligment should be "suddle". Dayz feels exaggerated.
Hence why machineabuse claimed that the OPREP had committed "character assassination" against dragging to justify sight alignment alone. ;)

yea i remember them stating that they wanted to avoid disconnect from your character by slowing down its movement in a forced way. i still think it was an excuse though due to a real change/a new system would've been way more work.

as you have hinted towards. sight misalignment =/= inertia. especially since the effect, as the name suggest, is limited to when you look through sights. so imho opinion inertia was never implemented. but that's just me maybe. ;)

i mean i'm not hating on the misalignment, it's a nice little touch, but it does not fully addresses a single one of the "issues" (depending on what you wanna see in this game personally ofc) with the animation system. it's like a workaround that addresses like 20%.

the fact that playing with crosshairs enabled degrades the whole thing to a mere little sight note makes that pretty obvious. if you look at the game in its entirety, it's just something snuck in there without going all the way, arma style. :p

i think the way they just fake it by messing with the camera was probably a clever idea some dev had which lead to us getting something instead of nothing aince it was relatively easy to do.

what bugs me most is prone turn rate though. i could totally live with the turning speed when upright. but prone is just ridiculous. the inbetween adjusted stances also have no turning animations which is not s big as a problem as with prone from a gameplay perspective but still looks horrible for no reason. another unfinished thing/construction site on the long list.

a new system would've been way more work.
An excuse that Bohemia has used multiple times, just more explicitly than with inertia.

E: there was a long rant here. So heres the shorter version

I want to like the game, but since dev's don't care about it. The game currently sucks.

Edited by oggoeg

4 hours ago, Reticuli said:

So inertia's

You really added nothing to this thread as to what your issue is, what are you using to determine if the inertia

is to little or to much, any mods you may be using etc,. and replying to a thread from 2015

now your just breaking forum rules, and gaining nothing over a complaint.

You do understand your playing in a sandbox and whatever the issue is can be changed or patched via script or mod,

that being said in the wiki each weapon has a certain amount of inertia to them already, so either your looking for more inertia

or using a mod that disables or really lowers the inertia to unrealistic levels for whatever weapon your using.

Details buddy or your complaint falls on deaf ears.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Weapon_Config_Guidelines#Weapon_inertia

Weapon inertia

inertia coefficient of the weapon is easily set by the inertia parameter, common values are 0.1 for a pistol, 0.5 for a rifle,

0.7 for machine gun and around 1.0 for a launcher.

class cfgWeapons

{

class myWeapon

{

// inertia coefficient of the weapon

inertia = 0.5;

};

};

So whatever weapon your using that doesn't have enough inertia, create a config use the template

above change the values to what you want and create a little mod for yourself.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Gunter Severloh said:

You really added nothing to this thread as to what your issue is, what are you using to determine if the inertia

is to little or to much, any mods you may be using etc,. and replying to a thread from 2015

now your just breaking forum rules, and gaining nothing over a complaint.

You do understand your playing in a sandbox and whatever the issue is can be changed or patched via script or mod,

that being said in the wiki each weapon has a certain amount of inertia to them already, so either your looking for more inertia

or using a mod that disables or really lowers the inertia to unrealistic levels for whatever weapon your using.

Details buddy or your complaint falls on deaf ears.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3:_Weapon_Config_Guidelines#Weapon_inertia

Weapon inertia

inertia coefficient of the weapon is easily set by the inertia parameter, common values are 0.1 for a pistol, 0.5 for a rifle,

0.7 for machine gun and around 1.0 for a launcher.

class cfgWeapons

{

class myWeapon

{

// inertia coefficient of the weapon

inertia = 0.5;

};

};

So whatever weapon your using that doesn't have enough inertia, create a config use the template

above change the values to what you want and create a little mod for yourself.

We're complaining about Arma 3's cartoon body inertia, not weapon inertia.

How often are you standing around without a weapon in the missions you play?

I mean why is body inertia so important when your not holding a weapon, unless your into role play for the sake of immersion like in a life server.

Weapon inertia imo is ideally what it comes down too as in a mission about 99% of the time your holding a gun, as

pointed out elseware the deadzone from OFP is still in the game, that can be adjusted of course while using a weapon.

Already in the game your soldier as per the OP's description doesn't turn like a window's mouse cursor, if you watched

your character turn, your initial turn theres a delay and then the animation of the solider follows, you can see this in 3rd person.

If while holding a weapon again i repeat myself you can increase the deadzone so that the gun moves before the character does

theres also mouse smoothing, and sensitivity that change how your character turns.

Mods

Theres also these mods that can simulate weapon inertia, or slow things down in general.

Ultimate Mobility Overhaul

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1809362058

Your movement speed is now affected by your loadout weight and your remaining stamina.

Field Condition Simulator

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2440800957

Recoil Overhaul: Your recoil is now influenced by your ammunition and the weight of your weapon. 

Heavier guns produce less recoil if they fire the same round.
Sway Overhaul:    Heavier guns produce more sway, lighter guns produce less sway.

Align

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903134884

'Align' tries to give you the feeling of actually holding a gun by adding subtle motions when initially lining up your

sights and after that while trying to keep them aligned.

============

Overall and again theres nothing stopping anyone from writing up a script, or creating an addon to fix or add,

or adjust the animations and or movements of a player turning or what have you to simulate or give the feel of inertia.

If it bothers you that much, do some research and find a way to fix it or simulate it yourself, were playing in a sandbox

that allows you to do just about anything.

BI wont fix what all of you have been complaining about, why because after almost 10yrs Arma 3 has been out and they could have fixed

or made it possible by now even before, they may in Arma Reforger being that its a new engine, and new game and soon after Arma 4.

I made my points, dont dig up old threads and adding nothing to it. Cheers!

• Like 1

I've always had deadzone off.  Weapon has nothing to do with it, though.  I'm not saying weapon inertia is not important, but weapon inertia and BI's attempt to provide that effect is irrelevant to complaining about the lack of body inertia when people can zig zag while sprinting in Warlords, or while jogging add crazy sideslip or stop all forward motion on a dime without worrying about tripping or sliding.  On another tangent, moving laterally (forward/back or left/right) while crouched doesn't even cause more fatigue than crouched in one spot, which is at least as important an issue to maneuvering capability as weapon inertia.  BI found a way to do something with mimicking weapon inertia, but zilch on this other stuff, and it feels cartoony, not just to watch what other people are doing in Warlords or trying to shoot them as they ridiculously zig zag along, but just the feel of your character is goofy and overly responsive.  Heck, try just spinning around while prone.  There are insufficient limits to character movements, no sense of human body inertia, so you can do crazy stuff, stop that crazy stuff as fast as you want, and there are no adverse repercussions, like falling on your face, landing on your booty, or hurting an arm.