Sign in to follow this  
Col. Kurtz

The sniper saga

I would ask you not to spam or go off topic with this thread, but that might be asking too much.

Anyway to the topic.

Sniper leaves message

According to this article, the Sniper left a message for the police near the school where he shot the 13 year old boy saying 'Dear Policeman, I am God'. He supposedly wrote this on a tarrot card.

Wether this message is authentic or not is not yet known.

Right, just wanted to say that.

Wow, I guess we can rule out "sane" political statements.

Six are knwon to be dead, and two more wounded, and all the police have is a shell cassing and what might be a message that points towards the fact that he may be a 5 star nutter if true, but if he has gone crazy, he is still very under control. Thaa is a fact that makes this all the more harder to apprehend the sniper and any possible conatcts it might have(Although he says 'I am god' so that could point to the fact its a loner)

It's time to call Army special op and put a sniper on him like in 'Nam and that story about the super sniper who took a private vendetta against US.

This man is mad or he's a former sniper i suppose or he has played too much Delta Force or IGI.

I don't know my men, but leaving a such card that is a proof of madness in my oppinion.

I think (dont know for sure, since im not from the US), that the military should be very careful not showing them too much on the streets, since that would be a loss towards what the terrorists wanted to archive 11/9-01.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Col. Kurtz @ Oct. 10 2002,12:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Six are knwon to be dead, and two more wounded, and all the police have is a shell cassing and what might be a message that points towards the fact that he may be a 5 star nutter if true, but if he has gone crazy, he is still very under control. Thaa is a fact that makes this all the more harder to apprehend the sniper and any possible conatcts it might have(Although he says 'I am god' so that could point to the fact its a loner)<span id='postcolor'>

I think a little joke is in order:

A man is driving past an insane asylum, when his car breaks down. He's at a total loss about what he should do. Then, a person in pyjamas looks out through one of the widows of the asylum. "Did your car break down?" the pyjama-dressed person asks. "Yes it did. I don't know what I should do." the man replies. The person obeying the hospital dresscode thinks for a while and then proceeds to instruct the man how to repair his automobile.

With the job complete and the auto back up and running, the man is throughoutly greatful: "Thank you so much! How can they have possibly committed you to an insane asylum?" "You see, I might be crazy, but I am not stupid." the insane person replies.

Never underestimate crazy people.

I never said crazy people were stupid, and that makes them all the more dangerous. The sniper appears to be crazy, but he is also smart. If he was totally lacking brains, he would have just walked into the middle of the street and started shooting until someone took him down.

The card was evidence that was never supposed to be released to the media.  The message that the media conveyed to the public was only a portion of what was actually on it. The police wanted to keep it secret as a means to create a dialogue with the suspect.

Just another instance of the media showing no ethics.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blomstermann @ Oct. 10 2002,13:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think (dont know for sure, since im not from the US), that the military should be very careful not showing them too much on the streets, since that would be a loss towards what the terrorists wanted to archive 11/9-01.<span id='postcolor'>

The US Military does not have policing authority.  They can only be granted this authority if the Commander in Chief so decides. We have enough tactical units that can be called upon if the local authorites deem necessary from the police SWAT units, ATF, to the FBI HRT.

For my two cents:

The man has exhibited the classic signs of "serial killer superiority complex" (my own term). The attention and media coverage partly fuels his delusional fantasies and his own superiority complex. It's extremely possible (and likely) that the killer is watching the stories about himself, since the day AFTER an FBI profiler said the killer was wrapped up in a "god complex" is when the tarot card with "I am God" written on it was found at the next scene. According to FBI profilers, the media coverage and the long lists of "famous" people talking about him gives the killer a false sense of social belonging and and makes him feel close to the people talking about him. It also serves to give him a feeling of social belonging that he normally wouldn't have. He is likely to be a loner, unmarried, and white.

Much like the Zodiac killer in the 60s, he is seeing the people that he kills as nothing more than prey. Perhaps he is getting his kicks by "hunting" his victims, though that is questionable since he is never face to face with his victims. The Zodiac killer used a knife and handgun and therefore was forced (or wanted to rather) get up close nad personal with his prey. Perhaps the "kill thrill" comes from knowing the person NEVER saw his face (as well as the feeling of superiority...particularly over the police).

In any case this has NEVER been about political statements or anti-anything statements, which I have suspected all along. This is a simple seriel killer case. One more nut has been let loose, triggered by....well who knows. We may find out in due time. Social rejection I would guess is the most likely answer, as this is the case for many seriel killers.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ Oct. 10 2002,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't know my men, but leaving a such card that is a proof of madness in my oppinion.<span id='postcolor'>

As some one stated intelligence can be measured many ways. Madness? Insanity maybe but the conetations that holds also mislabels. He clearly doesn't have the moral or ethical foundation or checks and balances that you and I have. Clearly he is fueled by a strong superiority complex that may in fact hide his own social inferiority complex. Most serial killers are genuieses but have SOMETHING missing in their lives that eventually brought them to where they are. But of course if you bring THAT into it you return to the old debate of nature vs. nurture.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (5thSFG.Hawkins @ Oct. 10 2002,14:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The card was evidence that was never supposed to be released to the media.  The message that the media conveyed to the public was only a portion of what was actually on it.  The police wanted to keep it secret as a means to create a dialogue with the suspect.

Just another instance of the media showing no ethics.<span id='postcolor'>

It has nothing to do with ethics. If the police wanted to keep it a secret, they shouldnt put crap-cops on it that release evidence to the media.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Blomstermann @ Oct. 10 2002,15:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (5thSFG.Hawkins @ Oct. 10 2002,14:42)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The card was evidence that was never supposed to be released to the media.  The message that the media conveyed to the public was only a portion of what was actually on it.  The police wanted to keep it secret as a means to create a dialogue with the suspect.

Just another instance of the media showing no ethics.<span id='postcolor'>

It has nothing to do with ethics. If the police wanted to keep it a secret, they shouldnt put crap-cops on it that release evidence to the media.<span id='postcolor'>

They don't know HOW it was leaked, though the most likely cause is by a cop on the "media take". Tantamount to "interferring with an investigation" and possibly "evidence tampering" and I'll throw in "obstruction of justice" for good measure.

Everybody's talking about how lunatic this guy is, i don't think he's lunatic. He's rather impressive actually, unbelievable....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tovarish @ Oct. 09 2002,17:39)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sounds like you've found yourself a role-model.<span id='postcolor'>

................... um yeah suuuuuure.............

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Oct. 10 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow, I guess we can rule out "sane" political statements.<span id='postcolor'>

Just one note: Initially Police said "he is playing god".. then about a week later they find a death tarot card that reads "Dear Policemen I am God".. and they claim they are upset that the public found out about it since the Sniper _instructed_ them to keep it secret. (so they have more items from this man?)

This smells of Horse Dung. I will give it 7/3 odds the police planted this to make a good case later on.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 10 2002,17:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Oligo @ Oct. 10 2002,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wow, I guess we can rule out "sane" political statements.<span id='postcolor'>

Just one note: Initially Police said "he is playing god".. then about a week later they find a death tarot card that reads "Dear Policemen I am God"..  and they claim they are upset that the public found out about it since the Sniper _instructed_ them to keep it secret.  (so they have more items from this man?)

This smells of Horse Dung.  I will give it 7/3 odds the police planted this to make a good case later on.<span id='postcolor'>

Highly doubtful, and ridiculous.

By the very nature of his crimes he is "playing God" and shows a strong superiority complex.

The reason why the police got mad was because evidence as this is used to "open a dialogue" with the killer, now that undoubtedly more items addressed to the police will start showing up (almost text book really....check the Zodiac killer, Son of Sam, hell must serial killers all the way back to Jack The Ripper).

Also it helps to differentiate from the real killer and the nutbars out there that are undoubtedly already flooding the police with false information or evidence.

Holy crap, another shooting.

Story:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">MANASSAS, Virginia (CNN) -- Authorities are investigating whether a fatal shooting Wednesday night at a gas station near Washington is connected to sniper shootings in the area that have claimed six lives.

The victim of Wednesday night's shooting was identified as Dean Harold Meyers, 53, of Gaithersburg, Maryland. Authorities said he was shot once in the head. All the sniper victims so far have been hit with a single shot.

He was slain at 8:15 p.m. ET after he had finished pumping gas. Surveillance video showed him slumped between a gas pump and his car.

Meanwhile, a source said Thursday that a Tarot card found near the scene of Monday's shooting of a 13-year-old boy in Bowie, Maryland, contained a message telling authorities not to reveal the existence of the card or what was written on it

<span id='postcolor'>

Apparently, someone was seen driving away in a white mini-van. Some other people report seeing the same van in other shootings. This is the third time someone has been shot at a gas station.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Oct. 10 2002,11:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Highly doubtful, and ridiculous.<span id='postcolor'>

Whatever, doubtful I understand... ridiculous is your trust of authorities!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ Oct. 10 2002,13wow.gif)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Apparently, someone was seen driving away in a white mini-van. Some other people report seeing the same van in other shootings. This is the third time someone has been shot at a gas station.

Tyler<span id='postcolor'>

The mini-van seen by 1 witness is reported to be a white Dodge Caravan.

EDIT: Ahh crap! I wanted to post an image of a white Dodge Caravan here so I went to my pen pals page to get a link... he was killed in a motorcycle accident! <!--emo&sad.gif Oh man, 30 years of racing didn't kill him, a regular ride on a 250cc bike did. sad.gif This is horrible.

if interested: http://home.earthlink.net/~turbogus/index.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bn880 @ Oct. 10 2002,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Akira @ Oct. 10 2002,11:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Highly doubtful, and ridiculous.<span id='postcolor'>

Whatever, doubtful I understand... ridiculous is your trust of authorities!<span id='postcolor'>

To plant evidence is little if any use. Such items (now a days) can easily be refuted or made to give the necessary "shadow of a doubt" needed by the prosecution.

Paranoid, irrational distrust of "authority" is just as ridiculous as blindly following "authority" (of which I don't do btw). Strictly speaking, the odds are against the police planting evidence, especially in such a high profile case as this, where their every move is followed by the media.

Oh wasn't attacking your idea btw with "ridiculous". Meant it more in relation to the fact that it would be too hard given the cirumstances.

this sniping dc weirdo strikes me as somebody who is

- a homegrown, genuine US-idiot.

- proud all the way into the tips of his hair. ("I am God")

- a coward (he's sniping, not going mano-a-mano)

- has a nihilistic overall worldview. (kills indiscriminately).

- maybe some (ex) sarge who tried but didn't make it into the SF. (wonder why confused.gif)

- wants to prove that he is good enough for the job anyway. (hurt pride, "marksmanship").

- was discharged dishonorably.

- full of the devil

- uses a civil issue military rifle (semi-auto).

- with either too much or not enough military psych-training. (dysfunctional conscience).

- or post-traumatic-stress-disordered. (didn't take some particular battle experience very well. unlikely.)

his pride will set him up though. he'll make mistakes. proud folks always do. nobody is so good that he'll fool all of the people all of the time.

it's just a matter of days now, I hope, until they get him.