Sign in to follow this  
austin_medic

_x is undefined in a forEach loop?

Well I've crashed straight into another brick wall with this games error box that simply leaves me scratching my head.

Trying to make a mission with lots of randomization, got this function that spawns a group:

AUSMD_spawn_group =
{
_side = _this select 0;
_position = _this select 1;
_position set[2,0];
_amount = _this select 2;
_units = [_side] call AUSMD_generate_group;
_grp = createGroup _side;
//_lead = _units select 0;
_position = [(_position select 0) + (random _amount - random _amount),(_position select 1) + (random _amount - random _amount),_position select 2];
//_lead createUnit[_position, _grp,"", (0.35 + random 0.7), "CAPTAIN"];
//_units set[0,nil];
{
	_x createUnit [_position, _grp,"",(0.2 + random 0.5)];
} forEach _units;
_grp;
};

as you can see it calls another function to get an array of units to spawn inside the foreach loop at the bottom.

AUSMD_generate_group =
{
_side = _this select 0;
_group = [];
westGroups = [["B_Soldier_TL_F","B_soldier_AR_F","B_Soldier_GL_F","B_soldier_LAT_F"],["B_Soldier_TL_F","B_soldier_AT_F","B_soldier_AT_F","B_soldier_AAT_F"]];
eastGroups = [["O_Soldier_TL_F","O_Soldier_AR_F","O_Soldier_GL_F","O_Soldier_LAT_F"],["O_Soldier_TL_F","O_Soldier_AT_F","O_Soldier_AT_F","O_Soldier_AAT_F"]];
if(_side == west) then
{
	_group = westGroups call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
}
else
{
	_group = eastGroups call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
};
_group;
};

that returns an array of units fine, but the foreach loop at the bottom of the first function throws an error saying _x is undefined.

Any ideas of my problem?

---------- Post added at 19:11 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Solved my problem byp utting sleep 0.1 above the foreach loop. I was under the impression that SQF didnt continue on reading until the command it was currently processing was finished completely.

Remove the last semicolon in AUSMD_generate_group,

otherwise it won't return the _group to the _units handle in AUSMD_spawn_group.

AUSMD_generate_group =
{
_side = _this select 0;
_group = [];
westGroups = [["B_Soldier_TL_F","B_soldier_AR_F","B_Soldier_GL_F","B_soldier_LAT_F"],["B_Soldier_TL_F","B_soldier_AT_F","B_soldier_AT_F","B_soldier_AAT_F"]];
eastGroups = [["O_Soldier_TL_F","O_Soldier_AR_F","O_Soldier_GL_F","O_Soldier_LAT_F"],["O_Soldier_TL_F","O_Soldier_AT_F","O_Soldier_AT_F","O_Soldier_AAT_F"]];
if(_side == west) then
{
	_group = westGroups call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
}
else
{
	_group = eastGroups call BIS_fnc_selectRandom;
};
_group
};

Cheers

Remove the last semicolon in AUSMD_generate_group,

otherwise it won't return the _group to the _units handle in AUSMD_spawn_group.

Sorry, but this is utter nonsense. Semicolon should make no difference whatsoever.

---------- Post added at 20:56 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

that returns an array of units fine, but the foreach loop at the bottom of the first function throws an error saying _x is undefined.

Have you got a copypaste of the error?

These functions work fine for me...

[west, position player, 0] call AUSMD_spawn_group;
[east, position player, 0] call AUSMD_spawn_group;
//both working

As MDCC said, the problem is with the _units array.

Somewhere in your code you've probably put a string for the "side" parameter. Or you've misspelled something causing the interpreter to look for an undefined variable. Check your code for "weast" ;) I know I've typed that plenty of times by accident.

Please do yourself a favor and make sure your variables in your functions are all(!) declared private! Otherwise a call to your function can and will happily overwrite variables a scope below, and these kind of bugs are the most annoying, because things might work fine for so long, and all of a sudden... :mad: and then they tend to be super hard to debug. :936:

Seriously, best make it a habit to first declare variables private before first use/initialization.

Otherwise chances are you'll forget to make them private and move on...

P.S. Make sure you understand the dynamic/late binding of sqf. ;)

And don't think this wont bite you in the ass. Chances that you're using variables like "_side", "_group", "_unit", and similar everyday identifiers (at some lower scope too) are high, and tend to go to 1 the more you code and make (re-)use of your own functions.

^^ this might be one way to fuck up your units arrays, btw. So you might wanna check that. In general; if you have a problem with one of your functions, start with diag_log'in and having a look at all the inputs to your function. And then you might wanna consider some parameter-verification/checking and error reporting too. :cool: