Sign in to follow this  
marcai

Crackling/ Popping Audio

This has been plaguing me for some time- since the Alpha, in fact. Audio in general just seems to be quite odd in Arma 3, with random popping or crackling, which normally occurs towards the end of the soundbite. I had originally assumed it a recording error, as I've been using JSRS for some time and I can't expect mods to be perfect, but after going back to vanilla sounds post-Marksman I'm finding that it's there in vanilla sounds too. It is most noticeable in engine sounds. I don't suffer this problem in any other game and I use a Creative Soundblaster Recon soundcard and 7.1 surround headset. Does anyone else have this issue at all?

Stereo is fine, happens to most folk, in and out of vehicles the most, given up reporting sound problems tbh.

Well some sounds are very disorted and can cut or pop sometimes like tracked vehicle engine and cannon sounds.

Could you give more precise examples where you hear them and maybe even a video? Just to know if your issues are virtual surround issues or actual sample issues.

I'll try and get some recording software and see what I can do. I also hear them quite a bit with the cricket chirping sounds of night-time, it's when I first started to get irritated by it- hearing them crackle every few seconds in a nighttime mission was infuriating!

---------- Post added at 15:10 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

After some fiddling with OBS, I now have a video of the problem. I've performed a test across a few surfaces in the Hunter, after 5-7 recordings, it seems to occur on all surfaces, but is most noticeable on this particular video when turning and travelling off-road. Whilst it doesn't seem to occur at all on the road in this video (skip the first 20 seconds or so), a few audio recordings I made before this (but failed to capture video of, the program didn't like me!) had it crackling just as much on the roads as offroad. My sound sources are at max of 128, lowering it didn't seem to have any effect on this issue.

Edited by Marcai
Adding additional info

Well some sounds are very disorted and can cut or pop sometimes like tracked vehicle engine and cannon sounds.

I definitely experience this with tracked vehicles. Especially as you increase throttle while steering.

I use SoundBlaster ZxR and stereo headphones with virtual surround through the SB drivers. 

Hi, i have a topic about sound noise here, this happens to me just when i spawn too much sounds at the same time: 

Sadly the audio of your video is too low, at least for me, but i can hear some of the cracking.

I use onboard sound card, stereo, simple headphones.