Sign in to follow this  
joostsidy

How realistic are the metal military base structures?

Just curious..

The realistic part is that modern forward military bases can be made up of prefab containers and such. The unrealistic parts:

- The towers; they look very vulnerable. I would rather go underground than up in the sky. Is there any real-life equivalent of this?

- Lots of metal, don't these bases bake the occupants inside like an oven during the day in Altis Climate? Some of them have open windows so no airco I guess.

Only WW2 towers like this, but today it makes no sense to build so high buildings because they to easily destructible on war. It's the same like mechs, they looks cool but make total no sense for battles, if one leg is damaged... ;)

By the way you can close the open windows.

maunsell-forts-2.jpg

f94fe2f2a23ca4c21bcf3b01e9e8699c.jpg

https://dprbcn.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/seafort.gif (549 kB)

Edited by Toysoldier

One practical benefit for scenarios is that they can be placed on quite uneven terrain and still be functional.

Going underground sounds nice in fantasy, but the RV4 engine does not work that way. The people who designed those structures did not build the core of the engine, they merely using the tools and reality they are presented, within limited timeframe.

One fail is to not include a mobile cargo helipad structure.

• Like 1

I guess these towers were built with peace keeping in mind. They are watch towers, not battle stations.

I think the watchtower purpose makes sense especially in combination that these base areas are small.

Only WW2 towers like this, but today it makes no sense to build so high buildings because they to easily destructible on war. It's the same like mechs, they looks cool but make total no sense for battles, if one leg is damaged... ;)

By the way you can close the open windows.

I'm not sure that these are real images or DX12. :confused:

Remember that Altis was never intended to be a front-line warzone. Those bases were likely designed to give a presence, in a similar way to policemen walking a beat; They don't regularly stop criminals by walking a beat, rather deter them from committing the crime. Anyone who saw an island with large military structures would likely assume 'wow, that's a well defended island' and leave it alone. Never underestimate psychology in warfare, it's usually the deciding factor whether or not there will be a battle at all!

One practical benefit for scenarios is that they can be placed on quite uneven terrain and still be functional.

Going underground sounds nice in fantasy, but the RV4 engine does not work that way. The people who designed those structures did not build the core of the engine, they merely using the tools and reality they are presented, within limited timeframe.

One fail is to not include a mobile cargo helipad structure.

The Helicopter DLC added a cargo pad item.

The Helicopter DLC added a cargo pad item.

The little trailer thing with office-chair wheels?

Hardly suitable, only works for the xH-9 too. :)

Something the dimensions of the cargo HQ (not tower) except just a raised helipad and set of stairs, would be capable of being placed on uneven terrain and add a lot of flexibility.

But Altis and Stratis both have many bases already with suitable landing spaces (marked or unmarked). I personally don't have the need for a extra helipad, although the idea is nice. I do think this is the kind of thing that would be fun if the community built it. Relatively simple and might come in handy.

IRL, the US military has various structures built from interconnected/stacked/modified 20ft or 40ft "conex" or "Sea-Land" shipping containers at deployed locations. I airlifted a chow hall in Afghanistan that included a dining area, a serving area, and a built-in kitchen made from six modified 40' containers. The structures in A3 seem like a reasonable future-ization of the idea, with the exception of the large towers. I'd guess that the tendency IRL is to build bases larger outwards, not upwards where you become more visible and more vulnerable at longer distances..

Thanks for that info AJsarge, I didn't know that regular containers are recycled. Do these modified structures have any kind of armor or do people just pile sandbags on top/against or something like that? I try to make my Arma missions kind of realistic so I'm wondering if the metal bunkers are worth defending from a small attack or that they are not defensible and the occupants should exit the buildings and seek better protection.

Thanks for that info AJsarge, I didn't know that regular containers are recycled. Do these modified structures have any kind of armor or do people just pile sandbags on top/against or something like that? I try to make my Arma missions kind of realistic so I'm wondering if the metal bunkers are worth defending from a small attack or that they are not defensible and the occupants should exit the buildings and seek better protection.

They will be new containers built from scratch, similar to ones I have worked on for oil rigs. They have them fitted out as laboratories, ROV control cabins and additional office spaces, among other uses.

The containers are still the easiest way to ship things and handle them, pre-built and just have to drop them in place where required. No hassles, just ready to do it's job once power and comms are hooked up.

Standard they are usually around 2 to 3mm thick sheet steel so would definitely require additional protection in war zones to stop bullets.

They will be new containers built from scratch, similar to ones I have worked on for oil rigs. They have them fitted out as laboratories, ROV control cabins and additional office spaces, among other uses.

The containers are still the easiest way to ship things and handle them, pre-built and just have to drop them in place where required. No hassles, just ready to do it's job once power and comms are hooked up.

Standard they are usually around 2 to 3mm thick sheet steel so would definitely require additional protection in war zones to stop bullets.

Aye, they're more custom-built more than modified. And the steel used isn't worth anything for armor or structural integrity of the walls/ceiling. I've seen many many many dents on the sides and heard of sunken containers having their roofs caved in from just a few feet of dirt. It's impractical to reinforce the container when you can build a concrete bunker next to it (using concrete pieces already modeled in Arma 3) with nothing but a crane and sandbags. In Arma 3, a good rule of thumb would be to leave to fight ground enemies if the container lacks firing ports, and huddle inside the nice bullet-proof container during incoming artillery where it's more safe than outside.

Ah ok, I've seen pictures from compounds in Afghanistan featuring containers and concrete barriers that are also in Arma3, but it's hard to judge the characteristics and use of these things from pictures alone.

The thing bothering me is that this metal (building or vehicles) can stop 12.7 or 14.5 mm...

The thing bothering me is that this metal (building or vehicles) can stop 12.7 or 14.5 mm...

A lot of modern materials can resist even that large of a round. They will go through at more deadly velocities if it's closer range.

As others have said, in story they're built for peacekeeping/counterinsurgency, not for front line warfare. A peacetime guard post/watchtower put in place by peacekeepers has entirely different priorities than a front line bunker put in place by a defender.

A google image search with the key words "expandable mobile shelter" will answer your question.

• Like 1

He probably still to this day thinks what kind of google query will work.

On topic: God i got tired of these containers pretty fast. Always try to avoid them in editor and whatnot.

• Like 2

Wow, completely different here. I think they're a very cool addition. Was very excited when someone was working on a building mod that essentially had crucial operational stuff in containers.

19 hours ago, cc_kronus said:

A google image search with the key words "expandable mobile shelter" will answer your question.

16 hours ago, rhyfelwyr said:

He probably still to this day thinks what kind of google query will work.

Not true! I only tried to google it for 6 months, before I quit.

I have to admit the term "expandable mobile shelter" was never one I had in mind. It results in some cool pictures. On the other hand, pictures don't tell the whole story. this forum is great for questions that are hard to google: you can hear from people who have real-life military experience in different countries explain how parts of Arma 3 work in reallife and how these real-life assets relate to the game.

Ok now lets let this thread go to sleep again.. :-)

• Like 3